Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Empty Seats

Everyone wanted a seat for the local Derby, but I noticed on Sunday from section P of the N&P stand, that there was a row of 10 seats 2 rows from the front all empty with 3 steward or officials in yellow tops sitting in the end 3, also a number of other isolated seats empty.

Obviously there are reasons why supporters either cannot attend, but the self same seats were empty for the West Ham game, can''t comment on WBA, but why 10 all together, someone else must have noticed this.

The people you mentioned in yellow jackets are car park attendents, who when the game starts are allowed access into the stadium to watch the game. Can''t comment on why there are so many empty seats...might be worth contacting the club to see if they can shed some light on the matter.

A number of seats are reserved for the Golden Goal sellers, beleive it or not some of them don''t turn up so I beleive these are the seats you are talking about, most sellers keep their bright yellow jackets on and these are the people you are pointing out.
I am a seller at the ground and I know that sometimes there are empty seats around.

The derby game was a sellout for home and away fans yet the attendance was given as 98% can anyone explain this?

It''s attendance, not sales. So if either a season ticket holder or someone else doesn''t turn up, they don''t count.

Yep - The game was a sell-out meaning that all the seats were sold. The 98% indicates how many of those people with tickets actually turned up. This figure is taken form the turnstiles and will be different due to season ticket holders on holiday, people who couldn''t the game, car breakdowns, etc, etc, etc.

24,369 (or whatever the attendance was ) is therefore 100%. The turnout percentage of 98% means that about 23,881 people were there..... therefore there were 500 empty seats somewhere - although I think this includes boxes etc that weren''t full.

A few years ago we used to report our attendance as the number of people in the ground - however the magic of computers and no cash on the turnstile admissions means they know how many tickets they have sold.

I am amazed by how low the percentage turnout gets sometimes.... keep an eye out at the gillingham game as a turnout of 95% on a full house means there should be 1200 emptys!!