Sign in to follow this  
ca

Man Utd & Shawcross

Interesting to hear Grant''s comments on radio Norfolk today that we could have had Shawcross on loan but Ferguson would only let him come to us if we guaranteed him first team football each week. Grant said that it would have meant that someone else was picking his team and that any players playing for him would be picked on performance and nothing else.

Good decision Grant, shame on you Man Utd!

That must mean he is guaranteed a spot at Stoke as long as he is fit. I cant imagine any manager agreeing to that. Gives the opposition an edge if they know who they will be facing. Crazy.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Interesting to hear Grant''s comments on radio Norfolk today that we could have had Shawcross on loan but Ferguson would only let him come to us if we guaranteed him first team football each week. Grant said that it would have meant that someone else was picking his team and that any players playing for him would be picked on performance and nothing else.

[/quote]

You can see Ferguson''s point though.  What''s the point in sending out a youngster for experience if they are only going to be used as backup? 

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Not really, CA. Far smarter would have been to say, Yes of course, Sir Alex. And then just picked his own team, anyway, once the lad was on board.

I agree with both sides really. What point would there be to Man Utd loaning Shawcross out for him not to play. From our point of view, we simply can''t guarentee anything, if he''s in bad form he shouldn''t play so rather than taking Shawcross and then not doing what we said we would. Grant has done the honourable thing and said sorry I can''t make that kind of commitment.

The whole idea of top clubs loaning out players is so they get experience. They wont get that on the bench and im sure fergie knows what hes doing. If thats the terms of the deal you accept it or dont. We obviously didnt, but without going over old ground we did a simular thing with the release clauses. Man Utd had a simular problem with Newcastle last year when they took G Rossi on loan but didnt play him much so fergie recalled him. I think you will find we will have the same problem with any attempt to sign a loan player from the prem. Ill say it now, if we get a defender on loan, he will play every game he is fit for.

Same happend with wolves n michael mancienne (chelsea) jose wanted him play 1st team we couldnt garentue that so he ended up at qpr, seems silly loan someone if they just going to sit on bench for month or two

yes, 2 goals in 2 games, looks like he could have been a good player, but his parents live in Stoke and it is near Manchester so he made his decision and we''ll have to live with it, but it did raise my eyebrow.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]He''s just scored again.[/quote]

I think the Premiership managers and players are out of order trying to dictate terms like this. If a defender is getting a goal a game he will be the first name down on the team sheet anyway. If he is a liability then he sholdn''t be played just to keep someone happy.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]He''s just scored again.[/quote]

....only against Rochdale, though.  Thing is that he is a central defender - odd goals scored from set pieces are all well and good (and it is about time we had some from our c/b''s) but it is what he does at the back which will decide how good he is (unless he is to turn into a striker!) as that is his bread and butter; we''ll have to see on that one.

Any Prem manager sending their youngsters out on loan is doing so to get them experience - so would want them to get as much time on the pitch as possible - I imagine Wenger, Mourinho etc would do the same as Fergie - but PG is also right in that it is he who picks the team; I wasn''t sure that Shawcross would have been quite ''right'' for us, Shacks is young and possibly not quite experienced enough to have an inexperienced 19 year-old beside him for the season.  Davenport, or someone similar, meanwhile, would be a different proposition altogether as he has the experience that we could do with.