Sign in to follow this  
Mazy Run

Subbing as punishment

So Grant took Jamie off as a punishment because he decided to go for his third goal rather than pass to Strihavka. I seem to remember he did the same to Croft in a similar game last year for having the temerity to try a fancy back heel. This doesn''t impress me on a couple of counts. It''s cutting your nose off to spite your face to remove someone who is playing well just to make a point. And what''s so wrong with someone having the enthusiasm to want to score a hat-trick, or show a bit of skill? Even if Jamie made the wrong decision in that split second, does he deserve to be pulled off the pitch, or get the usual Grant slagging off in the press?

I''m trying to like the guy, but he doesn''t make it easy...

OTBC  

Grant must forget the ricketts he made here, not a pop, just a serious statement, surely a telling off in the changing room was sufficient instead of these wild public statements. I am sure Cureton knew his mistake once he did not net.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Grant must forget the ricketts he made here, not a pop, just a serious statement, surely a telling off in the changing room was sufficient instead of these wild public statements. I am sure Cureton knew his mistake once he did not net.[/quote]And I''m sure Cureton can take it on the chin and move on...Grant was right to have a go, the second half was shockingly bad

[quote user="Mazy Run"]

And what''s so wrong with someone having the enthusiasm to want to score a hat-trick, or show a bit of skill?

[/quote]

Isn''t it widely accepted that the best / most successful strikers have a selfish streak in them? A single-mindedness to score a goal?

Seem to remember PG having a pop at players last year for not being brave enough to take a shot and playing it safe rather than taking responsibility?

Slagging them off or substituting them when they try something that doesn''t come off is just gonna encourage the players to take the easy and safe option each and every time.

I am a supporter of Peter |Grant big time, I think he has done a good job in dificult circumstances.

I am prepared to accept that he is new to management and will make mistakes, who doesnt, but he slagged off the fans last season, probably with some justification, but should not have done it publicly and had to back pedal, there was the slagging off of Hucks. which again I suspect he regretted afterwards. Yes I want a manager who is passionate and believes in the club,but he must be careful to learn from his mistakes, he has a go at Curiton for being unprofessional but I think is being unprofessioal himself. There is a time when a manager probably has no alternative but to have a public go at the players, we are nowhere near that situation, I think he has over-reacted.Learn for your mistakes Mr Grant, dont keep repeating them!

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="ricky knight"]Grant must forget the ricketts he made here, not a pop, just a serious statement, surely a telling off in the changing room was sufficient instead of these wild public statements. I am sure Cureton knew his mistake once he did not net.[/quote]

And I''m sure Cureton can take it on the chin and move on...

Grant was right to have a go, the second half was shockingly bad
[/quote]

I have been slagged to death for saying the same thing about 2nd half, careful, lol.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

I am a supporter of Peter |Grant big time, I think he has done a good job in dificult circumstances.

I am prepared to accept that he is new to management and will make mistakes, who doesnt, but he slagged off the fans last season, probably with some justification, but should not have done it publicly and had to back pedal, there was the slagging off of Hucks. which again I suspect he regretted afterwards. Yes I want a manager who is passionate and believes in the club,but he must be careful to learn from his mistakes, he has a go at Curiton for being unprofessional but I think is being unprofessioal himself. There is a time when a manager probably has no alternative but to have a public go at the players, we are nowhere near that situation, I think he has over-reacted.Learn for your mistakes Mr Grant, dont keep repeating them!

[/quote]

Slag him off on Cureton''s competitive debut for the club after scoring 2 goals!!  I think Cureton was right to go for the hattrick at 5-1 or whatever it was up, and had it gone in, would Grant still be publicly lambasting a player whom had an exceptional game on his debut (ish).

Unprofessional is what I describe a decision like bringing on young Martin out of position at Left WIng!!!  In fact that was not so much unproffesional as idiotic.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Unprofessional is what I describe a decision like bringing on young Martin out of position at Left WIng!!!  In fact that was not so much unproffesional as idiotic.

[/quote]

Spot on.....yet fortunately for PG, he doesn''t have his boss going to the media criticising his error of judgement or saying how disappointing it is

There is no problem with keeping players on their toes. We want a competitive squad.

I can''t see the Cureton substitution as a punishment. Game was dead, we were home and dry and there was no need to risk our best striker any longer.

He should have passed but he didn''t. I like greedy striker in the box. It also needs to be kept is perspective. We were never going to lose. The boy wanted a hatrick. Ok if it''s the last minute on Saturday and we are 0-0 and he did the same you could criticize but that was not the case.

Also, how many time over the last few years has someone passed the ball only for the person who received it to miss and we all scream why didn''t he take responsibility himself. The lad looked sharp and keen. And don''t forget he did his job last night better than most.