Sign in to follow this  
Congo Canary

Canaries World shore to ship

Yes I know this has been talked about countles times before, but really is the score with Canaries World?

At last the company i work for has delved into the 21st century by installing internet on the ship that i work on. Great i thought, until i found out that the bandwidth was quite small ,about 128kb infact.

So, this is really aimed at you guys who know about this high technology thingie. Do you think that the bandwidth would be good enough for match commentry without too much buffering,  and are the highlights downloadable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers boys

I think BBC streams most audio things about 96k or less, and presumably the rate is simialr on Canaries World.If the bandwidth is being used for other things on the ship at the same time, then expect extra buffering.Is this unlimited internet, or does someone have to pay by the megabyte? $!$!$!$!

Cheers for that. No this is totaly free, however i expect about 50 of the 130 (ish) crew to be using it at any one time. I might just give it a whirl anyway. It has to better than sitting in front of the bbc text service anyway!!

As the audio commentary comes from the BBC you can try listening to Radio Norfolk online for free (which is disabled when matches are on) to see if it is good enough.

You can download the highlights, so they will arrive eventually! 5MB will take 5 minutes. Check out the download calculator here

It''s dependant upon what you''re referring to by bandwidth. Are you sure you dont mean the connection speed? because bandwidth is the usage amount, and would be in megabytes.

either way, any broadband connection can generally handle audio streams quite confortably.