Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Oh damn it!, only 5?

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

I agree Wiz, but those to whom you are directing your comments were not the only ones,

PG himself, also was not pleased, he described the first half as "dissappointing" and the second half "abysmal".

He also saught to single out Jamie for critisism which I felt particularly unreasonable !

[/quote]

Its just his style Jim, he said the same to Hucks and that didn''t turn out bad did it?. And I can guarentee you he spoke to Jamie and the lads well before making any press statements.

But of courase the anti club mob on here will seize any crumb they can to ''rubbish'' Grant and the whole City set up.

I''d relax mate, Peter''s doing well, so lets just be pleased about that.

[/quote]

I thought it was an excellent first half and im very impressed with Lappin at the moment. What i will say though is im not sure im happy with Grants public outbursts regarding players performances as i think he''s now cutting his nose of to spite his face by subbing cureton for wanting to score a hatrick. I seem to remember him doing something simlar to Crofty last season. I like Granty but i think he''s got to stop proving points if its going to change the way a games going.

PS...Wiz mate i cant recall anybody mentioned ever slagging PG so its a little misghievous to suggest otherwise.

Regards

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="ricky knight"]but if i feel city are not doing the business on or off the field i will say so after all its just my opinion.[/quote]

Ye Gods, City not doing the buisness on the field?, we we were 5 nil up at half time for Gods sake man.

Now repeat after me Ricky, Ipswich Town FC are a pile of cr*p and a sad bunch of losers. Lets see you say that and mean it without choking on the words!

You don''t help your case you really don''t.

[/quote]

Wiz Wiz Wiz get a bloody grip man. I think you will find Ricky was saying it in a general about way and not just last nights game. Come on for christ sake this is really silly, your moaning about people who moan about aspects of the club as if nothing is wrong at CR but its just pure fantasy to suggest everything is always fine and if it was''nt for SUPPORTERS like Ricky than the blind might just keep going round in circles!

Hear them perhaps, respect their views that''s questionable.This is a City board, aimed at City fans, with the object of discussing Norwich City and related matters.Having to plough through endless threads posted up by closet binners using contrived attacks up the club hardly engenders a sense of respect - for them or they binmanist outpourings either.As to accusations of posters being a binner I would reply by rephrasing the old US saying " if it sounds like a duck and speaks like a duck, then it is a duck ".They know who they are, and they know that we know who they are. Back to scumland with the lot of them, says I.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Wiz, thats what you have been on aint it, why is it if anyone says something against city they are a binner, dont you live in suffolk. I am looking at the whole picture, there is shutting up shop and there is being careless, you dont find man u or chelsea being careless, they are pros. Carry on in dreamland guys just like you did when we hammered Barnsley last year, there is still a hell of alot of work to be done imo, oh yea morecombe beat Preston last night, the fortress where we were lucky to get a point. We will see wont we Wiz.[/quote]

Well said Ricky....It''s like being pushed into the ring with a blind man isn''t it?

Wiz....while it appears you are intent on trying to drag me into a confrontation...I suggest you don''t even bother to go there. I supported you (along with others) when you were getting hammered by all and sundry....and simply because you''ve changed the course of your opinion....that doesn''t affect me one little bit.

After all....wasn''t I defending your right to speak your mind before?...so that standpoint still remains. Fire away!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Wiz Wiz Wiz get a bloody grip man. I think you will find Ricky was saying it in a general about way and not just last nights game. Come on for christ sake this is really silly, your moaning about people who moan about aspects of the club as if nothing is wrong at CR but its just pure fantasy to suggest everything is always fine and if it was''nt for SUPPORTERS like Ricky than the blind might just keep going round in circles!

[/quote]

Well said Arthur. As always, you can''t be seen to criticise on here for fear of being called a heretic! 

However in the same vein, you can''t voice your satisfaction on something without being labelled as naive.

Are things perfect at Carrow Rd?....NO. Are there positives about the summer signings and last night''s result.....YES. This season will be full of ups and downs and most level-headed supporters will acknowledge both the good and the bad

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="ricky knight"]but if i feel city are not doing the business on or off the field i will say so after all its just my opinion.[/quote]

Ye Gods, City not doing the buisness on the field?, we we were 5 nil up at half time for Gods sake man.

Now repeat after me Ricky, Ipswich Town FC are a pile of cr*p and a sad bunch of losers. Lets see you say that and mean it without choking on the words!

You don''t help your case you really don''t.

[/quote]

WIZ!!           I have known ricky since he was a teenager and I can assure you that he bleeds green and yellow, always has. I must admit that sometimes I''m surprised at the amount of moaning he does on here but I''m just assuming he''s grown up to be a grumpy ole git!!  Although I don''t share his negative views towards the club (he doesn''t know me on here) and we often agree to disagree, he''s just as entitled to his views as we are.

I have to say that he has always stuck with his beliefs (right or wrong) which is a lot more than can be said for some!!

So Ricky Knight a binner?    NO. NO. NO.

http://www.football.co.uk/match_reports/reading_manchester_united_997712.shtml

Hmmm, a recent example which shows that all teams are capable of "relaxing" when they believe a cup match to be already won.............

Had we scored 7 or 8 we may well have been well and truly complacent before Saturday which is much more important, so its possible to look on the bright side of those two conceded goals.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

I thought it was an excellent first half and im very impressed with Lappin at the moment.  [/quote]

I''m really glad that you went Arthur and I mean that not in a sarcastic way. Maybe you''ll reconsider selling your ticket because I''m sure if you went this season you''d see other players besides Lappin who will make you smile and feel happy.

CA

To be honest, I couldn''t care we conceded 2 goals.... Big deal,we scored 5 and are though to the next round..... THATS all the matters!

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

I thought it was an excellent first half and im very impressed with Lappin at the moment.  [/quote]

I''m really glad that you went Arthur and I mean that not in a sarcastic way. Maybe you''ll reconsider selling your ticket because I''m sure if you went this season you''d see other players besides Lappin who will make you smile and feel happy.

CA

[/quote]

Thanks i did enjoy it and i took my grandson who loved it. Ive said in previous post that i was thinking of not renewing my tcket because of the time i now get to spend with my grand children so the recent sales of players ect ect was the excuse i needed i suppose. I will go to the odd game this season as the person who has my ticket is in the armed forces so will be away alot.

Regards

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

Hmmm, a recent example which shows that all teams are capable of "relaxing" when they believe a cup match to be already won.............

Had we scored 7 or 8 we may well have been well and truly complacent before Saturday which is much more important, so its possible to look on the bright side of those two conceded goals.

[/quote]

Good point. 7 or 8 goals to the good and we might of gone into saturday bit to cock sure.

I think what BigMarkCanary and Tumbleweed say is quite telling. We were 5-0 up, and with thoughts towards Southampton on Saturday it''s perhaps quite obvious why it wasn''t a hell for leather contest after the break. What would the point of been risking getting injured just for the sake of trying to get another 30 goals? It''s a cup game, you just need to score more than the opposition, that''s all!. It''s not arrogant of the players to feel they had it sewn up...In a sense it was probably MORE professional of the players to back off a little and not risk potential injury. Good win.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

[/quote]

3-0 you''re playing with fire but 5-0...If you allowed someone back from that, well, madness. Thankfully we didn''t but i''m sure I remember a Spurs/ManCity game in recent seasons where one or the other came back from 4 or 5 goals down or something? Middlesborough at Carrow in Premiership a couple of years ago also springs to mind.

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="Tumbleweed"]

[/quote]

3-0 you''re playing with fire but 5-0...If you allowed someone back from that, well, madness. Thankfully we didn''t but i''m sure I remember a Spurs/ManCity game in recent seasons where one or the other came back from 4 or 5 goals down or something? Middlesborough at Carrow in Premiership a couple of years ago also springs to mind.

[/quote]

You are missing the point easing up, being in control is ok, being plain rubbish is not good enough,especially against lesser opponents. Thats the worry.

The whole situation was very strange last night. I went to the game expecting us to win but probably a scrappy game with a 1-0 or 2-1 scoreline. Therefore, to win 5-2 was a huge bonus. However, I did feel let down by the 2nd half performance. I really hate it when we play well and then concede latish goals to give the scoreline a more respectable air. It is daft I know but had we been 2 down and come back to win 5-2 we would all be ecstatic, similarly had Barnet scored to make it say 2-1 and then 3-2 we would still feel better.

I think Ricky makes a valid point. I for one didn''t expect us to continue along the same lines in the 2nd half but the one thing we should have made sure of was another clean sheet. This would have allowed us to take even more confidence into the Saints game on Saturday. As it is we put in a shoddy performance and gave away a couple of goals which is a little disappointing.

One thing that I haven''t seen mentioned is the very long stoppage straight after the 5th goal when the linesman got injured. This completely disrupted our flow and it allowed the Barnet manager to get his team together. After that we were never quite the same.

At the end of the day we won the game and are through to the next round which is all that matters in a cup tie.

anyone consider that he had his word with the players then they all decided to cop the piss out of the edp with some made up statement

gets the fans rilled up and talking and backing little jamie to the hilt cult hero that i think he might become

happy with the result is a understatement normaly we would roll over and die vs lower league teams in the cup

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="Alex"][quote user="Tumbleweed"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are missing the point easing up, being in control is ok, being plain rubbish is not good enough,especially against lesser opponents. Thats the worry.

[/quote]

Hang on Ricky, we''ve hammered 5 goals past them in the first 45 mins. I would suggest that''s being in control, and good enough. We were even compared to Arsenal by their manager Paul Fairclough in the first half (and yes, that''s perhaps a little over the top even for my optimism, but a great compliment all the same). Question is...Which half do you think illustrated the real Norwich for this coming season? 1st or 2nd??

[quote user="ricky knight"]Wiz, thats what you have been on aint it, why is it if anyone says something against city they are a binner, dont you live in suffolk. I am looking at the whole picture, there is shutting up shop and there is being careless, you dont find man u or chelsea being careless, they are pros. Carry on in dreamland guys just like you did when we hammered Barnsley last year, there is still a hell of alot of work to be done imo, oh yea morecombe beat Preston last night, the fortress where we were lucky to get a point. We will see wont we Wiz.[/quote]

Ricky

You don''t??

Chelsea 3 – Birmingham 2

It was an entertaining match, with Chelsea playing some thrilling football and dominating huge phases of the contest, despite conceding twice in the opening 36 minutes.

Reading 1 – Chelsea 2

Cech, who fractured his skull last season in the game at Reading, made an awful hash of a punch allowing Andre Bikey to put the home side ahead.

Man United 0 – Reading 0

Manchester United had an uncomfortable start to the season as the champions were outsmarted tactically by Reading.

Portsmouth 1 – Man United 1

"We controlled the game in the first half but Portsmouth put more pressure on us in the second half and we lacked a bit of composure.

"Defensively, we did not look on Benjani''s goal."

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="Alex"][quote user="Tumbleweed"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t want to harp on about it (genuinely!) but even at 5-2 I honestly can not see that we were not in control. There was simply NO WAY, from where I was sitting, that Barnet were ever going to score another three goals.  

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

One thing that I haven''t seen mentioned is the very long stoppage straight after the 5th goal when the linesman got injured. This completely disrupted our flow and it allowed the Barnet manager to get his team together. After that we were never quite the same.

[/quote]

That''s true, without that stoppage we may well have scored a couple more before half-time.

I really don''t get this thread, but I suppose it sums up many parts of this board at the minute.

For the 1st 45 we played well, for the second we were awful against a VERY poor side.

That shouldn''t be ignored or swept under the carpet and Grant is right to make a lot of it.

Why are we arguing amongst ourselves because of it?

If we play like that against sides from our league we''ll get battered.

Probably the best result we could get though, we had 45 minutes to get some confidence score some goals, then 45 minutes to bring us back to earth and make sure no one gets carried away before saturday.

There were good signs, but there is still a LOT of room for improvement.

However a clean sheet at preston and 5 in 30 minutes tuesday shows we are moving in the right direction, the second half just proves the job is far from done, which I feel is Grant''s point. He''s making sure no one gets complacent.

[quote user="megson"]

I really don''t get this thread, but I suppose it sums up many parts of this board at the minute.

For the 1st 45 we played well, for the second we were awful against a VERY poor side.

That shouldn''t be ignored or swept under the carpet and Grant is right to make a lot of it.

Probably the best result we could get though, we had 45 minutes to get some confidence score some goals, then 45 minutes to bring us back to earth and make sure no one gets carried away before saturday.

However a clean sheet at preston and 5 in 30 minutes tuesday shows we are moving in the right direction, the second half just proves the job is far from done, which I feel is Grant''s point. He''s making sure no one gets complacent.

[/quote]

Exactly my point, better put, lol, so why am i getting slagged to death even Grant agrees with the point of view on the 2nd half.

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="megson"]

[/quote]

Exactly my point, better put, lol, so why am i getting slagged to death even Grant agrees with the point of view on the 2nd half.

[/quote]

I think we tend to get a bit polarised in our view points on here and can attack or defend without really thinking about the context!

Tends to be very little middle ground around, and this performance fell smack in the middle of that middle ground!

I''m happy with what he said, and both Russell and Fozzy have come out in agreement now too!

[quote user="ricky knight"]You are all having a pop, but Grant actually says exactly what i am about 2nd half, so your hero knows nout about football too then.[/quote]

Of course we''d liked to of seen (or in my case ''heard'') that in the 2nd half we carried on full throttle, i would of as well but by the same token I wouldn''t of been happy if the lads had been flying in for another 55 minutes with full bloodied challenges after going 5-0 up. No disrespect to Barnet but we weren''t playing Man United. The risk of 1 or 2 injuries, perhaps more, would of been silly considering we have an important league game days later. Whether the players admit it or not, i''d guess this was playing on their minds somewhere along the line. PG would know that privately but i doubt even himself would admit that in the press, he knows he''d of got torn apart. And yes, I agree, Peter Grant is right and my thoughts possibly hold no weight I suppose (not being sarcastic either)...afterall, he''s the gaffer and what''s said go''s, would never argue that because it''s his job not ours. We may not like every decision but that''s football and that''s tough s***!. 

[quote user="ricky knight"]You are all having a pop, but Grant actually says exactly what i am about 2nd half, so your hero knows nout about football too then.[/quote]

I went out of my way to say, specifically, that I wasn''t having a pop at you - and I certainly don''t claim Grant to be a ''hero''. I would hope that he is saying that to the players as it is his job, I am just a fan and therefore think I have a bit more freedom over what I say publicly. He has to gauge what he says for the intended effect - i.e. keeping the team from being complacent, I can say that it wasn''t ideal but in reality it was understandable. I have that freedom because it doesn''t matter what I say.

Anyway, bit touchy for a huge professional wrestler aren''t we. [;)]

Btw, checked out your video on Youtube - classic stuff. [:D]   

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

I would hope that he is saying that to the players as it is his job, I am just a fan and therefore think I have a bit more freedom over what I say publicly. [/quote]

This is exactly what I was trying to say...

It''s a Mickey Mouse cup...and the final score was wholly irrelevant. More important was how Preston got dumped out by Morcambe....yet our 0-0 scoreline there was heralded as an apparent triumph........

Let''s see what happens in the league against better sides instead of faffing about over what should have been a cert for Yeovil never mind Norwich.........

[quote user="Cluck "]

It''s a Mickey Mouse cup...and the final score was wholly irrelevant. More important was how Preston got dumped out by Morcambe....yet our 0-0 scoreline there was heralded as an apparent triumph........

Let''s see what happens in the league against better sides instead of faffing about over what should have been a cert for Yeovil never mind Norwich.........

[/quote]

Well you got dumped out by MK Dons. [:D]

This is a joke by the way, before anyone gets on my back.