Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

The Sheep Really Like The Grass At Carrow Road

In Round 1 of the Carling Cup the average attendance for the 36 matches was less than 5000. Norwich City, of course, had almost 14,000 in attendance, the highest of the 36 matches. Even clubs with greater capacity fared  poorly in comparison. We had more than twice as many present as did Coventry and our attendance was 25 to 35% greater than Sheffield United or WBA respectively, two clubs who could claim to be achieving more than us in recent past.

Of course, we all know the Carling Cup is not strongly supported, however, it is just another demonstration that the sheep attending Carrow Road fare must, at the very least, find the grass extremely appealing. Others can choose to rationalise or explain this FACT away however they choose, but, if results are what we measure, this statistic alone speaks highly of our club and the fans that support it.

Good points Yankee, but the attendance was disappointing for me. Yes our crowd of 13,971 was more than Preston got for last Saturdays opening game against us, but it was also 9,000 less than we got for a meaningless friendly against West Ham a couple of weeks ago. So it begs the question were those extra 9,000 all Happy Hammers or are Norwich fans more interested in pre-season friendlies than the first step of a potential cup run that could take us to Wembley.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Good points Yankee, but the attendance was disappointing for me. Yes our crowd of 13,971 was more than Preston got for last Saturdays opening game against us, but it was also 9,000 less than we got for a meaningless friendly against West Ham a couple of weeks ago. So it begs the question were those extra 9,000 all Happy Hammers or are Norwich fans more interested in pre-season friendlies than the first step of a potential cup run that could take us to Wembley.

[/quote]

I''d put forward a few reasons why there were more at the West Ham game:

- I''d say there were a few 1,000 West Ham fans - how many did Barnet have? Plus all the West Ham fans in the Norwich stands as it was a friendly. I''d say some other neutrals went to see a "Premiership" team / quality.

- Everyone else had been starved of football the whole summer. Not a World Cup or European Championships in sight. People were getting excited about cycling! We are now into the season so games will come thick and fast.

- People away on holidays? People back home to Norwich last month?

To be honest with kids for a quid, and students like me for four quid, I think thats a reasonable attendance. How many other clubs would have been offering such cheap tickets?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

In Round 1 of the Carling Cup the average attendance for the 36 matches was less than 5000. Norwich City, of course, had almost 14,000 in attendance, the highest of the 36 matches. Even clubs with greater capacity fared  poorly in comparison. We had more than twice as many present as did Coventry and our attendance was 25 to 35% greater than Sheffield United or WBA respectively, two clubs who could claim to be achieving more than us in recent past.

Of course, we all know the Carling Cup is not strongly supported, however, it is just another demonstration that the sheep attending Carrow Road fare must, at the very least, find the grass extremely appealing. Others can choose to rationalise or explain this FACT away however they choose, but, if results are what we measure, this statistic alone speaks highly of our club and the fans that support it.

[/quote]

Backs up my point that Norwich has a higher catchment area than anyone else in the league.

YC - I would suggest that the ticket prices also must be a factor, how many of the other home clubs were charging £1 for kids and £4 for students? I think the club did the right thing pricing the game the way they did, and I suspect it would have been a lower attendance if they had charged the usual rates.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

In a word Nutty, yes! When the pre-season game is the last game before the start of a new season, against a premier league team sporting a couple of our recently departed and with a look of some quality about it, people are more interested to see how we fare against them...

...than to see us play a lower league team in a competition that is a sideshow, however well we may or may not do in it. Having said that, we still pulled the highest attendance of the round as YC says, so that''s gotta say something. It''s still of more interest to our fans than others...

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Backs up my point that Norwich has a higher catchment area than anyone else in the league.

[/quote]

It has a BIGGER catchment area. It''s just that not many people live in it.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

It has a BIGGER catchment area. It''s just that not many people live in it.

[/quote]

Around 800.000 and the closest pro club being Ips@?t. I would say thats BIGGER than most clubs so not bad for'' little old Norwich ''.....thats the way certain people at CR would like to portray us anyway.

That''s nor fair MookPoor old ''arfur widdle'' is doing his best to find some stick to beat the club with and then you come along and point out the flaw in his argument.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

But, Yankee, remember that since you went away the County Council have started rearing sheep on their lawns to cut maintenance costs. You really should compare like with like.

[6]

OTBC

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]That''s nor fair Mook

Poor old ''arfur widdle'' is doing his best to find some stick to beat the club with and then you come along and point out the flaw in his argument.
[/quote]

Not at all, if you can read you will see ive made my point Walph Wrong. Hows Ipswich tonight?

Your point being anything that has a go at NCFC. Why that would be I''m sure most on here would be understand. As to your wish to know how scumland is it merely reflects your true concern.RIPswich.

I see where you are coming from a1 but how we fare against West Ham in a pre-season friendly is to be honest meaningless. The games are not played at full pace with full commitment in the same way a cup tie against Barnet is. I used to do all the friendlies but was always disappointed by them, now I only do an occasional away friendly just for the day out. Friendlies are the games that should be

As for the Carling Cup being a sideshow... no way! It''s a major cup competition with a Wembley Final and as far as I know there is still a European place to the winner. Our performance in beating Barnet 5-2 was one of the best of the round and far better than our performances usually are at this stage in the competition. It''s just a shame so many decided to devalue it by concentrating on the 2 goals we conceded in the 2nd half, instead of discussing who we could be playing in the next round and dreaming of Wembley.

I guess its just part of the change in football that many people now see a meaningless pre-season friendly as more attractive than a full-blooded cup tie.

Was the friendly £10 £4 and kids for a quid?

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Your point being anything that has a go at NCFC. Why that would be I''m sure most on here would be understand.

As to your wish to know how scumland is it merely reflects your true concern.

RIPswich.
[/quote]

How is pointing out Norwich has a great catchment area having a go at the club, im sure most NCFC fans understand what im saying as you are the only one turning it into a negative point. Having a large catchment area is a dig at the club? Jesus! You baffle me but then all Ipswich fans always have Walph Wrong, perhaps you decided to post this ill thought out comment as you actually live 40 miles down the road and are jealous of our support. See its easy to accuse someone of being a binner when they disagree with you, just makes things pathetic and childish. 

The sheep really like the grass at Carra........because a percentage are synthetic - as is the playing surface........

"and their "BAAAAHrrrrrK''s are worse than their bite"......But, the stout crooks of the sheperds and their ever reliable Corporate Collies, will round ''em up and draw the flockers back in......if they stray too far away from the Stadium of Fleece - with the plausible offer of juicy moist and tasty lush offerings. 

I''ll be there, watching the flocking lot of you.......and those mutton''s dressed as lambs.

Then, it''s off to the boozer........I''ll be the wolf in sheep''s clothing, so feel free to come and have a bleat. BYE BAAAH an'' see EWE''s later!

I''m good company, but not if I''m hungry!