Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Norwich v Arnhem player ratings

Not sure how many of you went to the game, so ill try to be as descriptive as possible. Ive gone for the novel idea of rating our players on where I think they will take us in the league (Based on tonight, tuesday, and general opinion).. But will try to give a good view from tonight.

Marshall - Promotion - What on earth is this man doing in division one? Another spectacular save tonight from a glancing header. He will win us games.

Drury - Upper Mid table - Same old consistent drury, albeit with a stunning goal thrown into the mix tonight! Had a solid game. But you know what you will get from him.

Shackell - Playoffs - Seems to be relishing the captaincy. Very vocal, and encouraged the players constantly. Was also solid at the back and didnt put a foot wrong.

Doc - Mid table - Had a good game tonight, but like the majority I would like a new centre back if possible, I just dont think hes good enough against the quicker strikers out there.

Semmy - Playoffs - Man of the match tonight. SOlid in defence, good in the tackle, and boy does he have some pace going forward. A real good signing.

Lappin - Lower Mid table - Uninspiring. Has a good delivery, but no ability to beat the man. Solid bench player.

Russell - Mid table - Again looked good tonight, just not sure if he has that real quality to succeed. But he has only just come back to us so lots of time to develop!

Brellier - Upper Mid table - Looked pretty good to me. Got in the faces of the opposition, which is the sort of player I like. Gave away the ball which almost cost us at one point. So a good start, im sure improvements will be made.

Martin - Upper Mid table - Was the only player who really ran at the defence, and it made things happen. Not always the end product, but full of life.

Cureton - Mid table - Didnt really get into the game. Ran his socks off, but cant see where the goals will come from.

Brown - Mid table - Not a bad game, but not as effective as tuesday. Had a smart header saved off the line from their keeper. So again a good performance, just cant see him regularly scoring.

Subs

Striker - Far better performance tonight, held the ball up better than on tuesday. GOod assist for drurys goal. Will only get better.

Fozzy - Got in the faces of the opposition, worked hard.

Croft - Disappointing. Tried too hard and gave the ball away.

OVERALL

Not a bad performance. First half wasnt particularly great, no chances really created. Second half was an imrovement and our defence looked solid. My main concern is creativity. Too often we stood around with no movement. Only Martin was willing to run with the ball, create new angles, open up new passes etc.

Please comment..

David Marshall 7: not much to do as most of there shots were wide of the mark, but did well when called upon.

Jon Otsemobor 8: attacked and overlaped brilliantly, blistering pace and worked hard to win the ball back when lost.

Jason Shackell 7: solid game, due to the quiet atmosphere could hear him shouting all the time, good captain.

Gary Doherty 6: not terrible as usual, wasted a good chance from a corner when he controlled with his hand ...

Adam Drury 7: peach of a goal, had a decent solid game, nothing bad.

Darel Russell 7: kept his nerve on the ball holding it up, looking to create things.

Julian Brellier 6/7: didnt notice him as much as i had hoped, first thing he did was almost kicked someone in the head with a high foot studs showing...

Simon Lappin 8/9: brilliant game, my man of the match. comfortable on the balls, brought out a few skills taking on the right back, cut inside well and created opportunities.

Chris Martin 7: worked hard, not afraid to have a pop at goal. decent performance.

Jamie Cureton 6/7: again not as impressed as I would of hoped, allthough worked hard and did a nice bit of skill taking on the left back second half, not much else to say.

Chris Brown 7/8: good effort on goal with a backwards header looping over the keeper who managed to push it out for a corner, worked well, good passing and touches, deffinately improved his game.

SUBS:

Lee Croft 8/9: for how long he was on had a brilliant game, worked hard created things down the wing, looks alot quicker too!
Mark Fotheringham 6/7: not enough time to do alot but worked hard winning the ball in the centre.
Andy Hughes 6: was fairly impressed until he randomly ended one of our attacks by hoofing it back to the goalie, dont know why and grant didnt look best pleased.
David Strihavka 6/7: much better than against west ham allthough weaker opposition, good first touch, holds ball up well, strong.
Ryan & Rossi Jarvis 6: not much time to get a higher rating...

Agree with most of your ratings.

Marshall again looks the business in goal.

Osemober played very well, and good to see him getting forward.

Brown does look good to me. Very nearly scored with his dipping header only for the keeper to put it over the bar with his fingertips. Looked like he got a smack on the nose again just like tuesday. I bet thats gonna be sore!

Strihavka i liked the look of too. Got good pace, holds the ball up well and also nearly scored. I have no doubt he will score a few this season.

These were the pick for me tonight, but they all need to up their game next week, if we are to get off to a good start to the season.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

Lappin - Lower Mid table - Uninspiring. Has a good delivery, but no ability to beat the man. Solid bench player.

[/quote]

?? lappin was beating the right back loads ... my man of the match and should certaintly be given a chance to prove his place in the team this year.

Norwich: Marshall, Otsemobor, Doherty, Shackell, Drury, Brellier (Fotheringham 55), Russell (Hughes 75), Lappin (Rossi Jarvis 89), Martin (Ryan Jarvis 80), Brown (Strihavka 58), Cureton (Croft 60).

Contrary to reports, from what I could see wee started off with a narrow diamond in the midfield, with Chris Martin playing in the hole behind the two strikers. Rusty and Lappin playing tight in midfield.  

Player Ratings

GK - David Marshall – 7 – Everything he had to on the night, he did well. He also looks like he is very agile and gets down to low shots very quickly. Well worth whatever we paid for him.

RB – John Otsemobor – 8 – This looks to be a very shrewd piece of business by Grant. While being reasonably solid defensively, his attacking play and raw pace is what really excites me. He made 2 or 3 steaming runs into the opposition box, taking the ball past many players as he did so, his crossing is also very good.

LB – Adam Drury – 4 – Once again another poor performance from him, I think I counted two times when he received the ball and then passed it along the ground. His defending also looks very poor at the moment with most of the Dutch attacks coming down our left side. A replacement is definitely needed, or at the least some real competition.

CB – Gary Docherty – 6 – A much improved performance from the Doc after Tuesday’s defensive collapse against the Hammers. Didn’t really put a foot wrong all night, we need a full season of this. Just consistent, no-nonsense defending, do everything simple and you will not go wrong.

CB – Jason Shackell – 6 – The captaincy certainly doesn’t seem to be affecting him, he could be heard barking orders at his players all night which encourages me. His performance was much like the Doc’s an improvement on Tuesday; no-nonsense defending from shacks also.

DMC – Julien Brellier – 8 – Like Otsemobor, another shrewd piece of business which I am very pleased about, because he gives us a bit of bite in the midfield area. Made a couple of crucial blocks/interventions to stop the Vitesse attacks. Looked like he had picked up another knock about ten minutes in, but he had ran it off by half-time because he stayed on the pitch until just before the hour mark.

RCM – Darel Russell – 7 – I liked the way he was always closing down the opposition before they could release the ball. After he had taken the ball from them he always chose the simple pass, leaving the extravagant play to the more attacking players. With him and Brellier in the midfield we won’t be found wanting in the tackling department.

LCM – Simon Lappin – 7 – He seemed to get more stuck in than last season which was an encouraging sign. He also looked more potent in the final third, attacking the defenders numerous times and trying to get the cross in. He did so with decent success and his crossing was also quite accurate.

AMC – Chris Martin – 6 – Didn’t look comfortable in the hole position, like he wanted to be nearer the last defender. Grant is starting to worry me now because he has played him on either wing and behind the strikers, if there isn’t room for him in the team in his preferred position he needs to be loaned out.

ST – Chris Brown – 7.5 – Carried on from where he left off on Tuesday, he now looks a great physical presence in an around the box. Like he can win every header, he is also very confident that he can score goals by the looks of things. Was unlucky to again be taken off after being clattered by another defender.

ST – Jamie Cureton - 5.5 – Only did one thing that really impressed me all night when he ran into the box, taking the ball past a couple of defenders as he did so. His cross was then sliced clear by a Vitesse defender. The rest of the time he looked ineffectual when trying to win headers against defenders. Even when the ball was on the deck he struggled.

Subs Rating

Mark Fotheringham – 7 – Once again, he looked a different player from last season with bags of energy and accurate passing. The midfield now looks like it has good competition for places

Andy Hughes – 5 – He came on in the centre of midfield and gave everyone the reason why he doesn’t usually play there. He went into his headless chicken mode and most of his passes went astray.

Rossi Jarvis – Not on long enough to rate.

Ryan Jarvis – 6 – Even though he was only on for 10 minutes he did more to impress me with a couple of marauding runs into the box.

David Strihavka – 6 – He set up the Drury screamer (although I don’t think the pass was intentional), and held up the ball quite well.

Lee Croft – 7 – Impressive again and certainly deserves a starting place against PNE on the 11th of august. He seems to have lost a lot of weight, and gained that vital yard of pace.

Overall Team Rating

Although they improved after Tuesday’s game the central defence does certainly need strengthening. But I would say the left back position is the one which is in need of strengthening most desperately. I have seen 3 pre-season games and it has shown more than ever how we need that competition for the left back slot. The rest of the team looks like it has enough competition.   

Ipswich - I personally dont remember him beating the man at all. Suppose it depends how you define beating the man for a winger. Is it purely being able to put a cross in, or actually getting past him and leaving him for dead. If its the former he did that well, if its the latter he didnt once. Looking back he did put some good balls in in the first half, so maybe I was little harsh. But I still see him as no more than a bench player.

Good point about doc, forgot that ridiculous handball from the corner when he had no defender anywhere near him.

AND... SORT OUT OUR CORNERS! Its either A - Short corner that never works. B - Send it long for doc to head back across, which usually never works. The end result in theory is the ball in the middle of the box, but with this extra unneccesarry step it never usually works out. After a lot of moaning from my side, we finally put a ball directly into the box later on in the game, and shackell (?) got his head on it and put it just wide.

Lappin was quite poor in the first half and good in the second half, and that applied to the whole team. The first half was BAD, the first 20 minutes unbelievable - the possession stats at that point must have been 90% Arnhem.We picked up the pace drastically after HT thankfully. My opinions:Strihavka better than Brown - a very good target man with decent pace. No partnership yet with Cureton or MartinMarshall outstanding.... except for his kicking!Otsemobor outstanding going forward4-3-3 didn''t work - Cureton too far from goal. Cureton actually looked lethargic, maybe tired because the WHU game was very high-tempoAgree that Croft seems to try too hard, and drops into headless chicken modeRussell less impressive than against WHU, shades of the old Rusty - too frenetic.Overall, the second half gave cause for mild optimism.

Marshall - 8

Otsemobor - 8

Drury - 7

Doherty - 6

Shackell - 6

Brellier - 8

Russell - 7

Lappin - 7

Martin - 6

Rossi Jarvis - N/A

Ryan Jarvis  - 6

Brown  - 6

Cureton - 6

Subs:

Fotheringham - 6

Hughes - 5

Strihavka - 6

Croft - 7

I love it how people who have all been to the same game, seem to all have been at a totally different one! The variety in marks for players like Drury, Lappin and Croft is actually ridiculous!!!

Marshall - 7,  bargain! another top quality save

Otsemobor - 7, pace looks like a great asset

Drury - 6, good goal and defended reasonably well but distribution still dodgy

Shackell - 7, solid as a rock and distribution good

Doherty - 6, solid but distribution poor, always going for the killer long pass

Russell - 7, great energy in the middle, seems to have filled out since leaving

Brellier - 7, makes things look very easy, made a number of tackles and interceptions in front of the back 4 and then played it simple

Lappin - 7, linked well with others and got stuck in more but set pieces were average

Martin - 6, played betwean midfield and attack and showed some good signs but never really got involved

Brown - 7, caused defence all sorts of problems, and unlucky not to score, definately got to start at Preston

Cureton - 6, lacked service again but ran the channels well and made a couple of good runs

Strihavka - 7, an improvement on tuesday night, touch and control looks class and looks reasonably quick, set up drury for goal

Fozzy - 7, much fitter than last season, rarely gave away possession with intelligent play

Croft - 6, looks quick and sharp but didn''t get many chances to run at full back

Hughes- 6, didn''t really have time to do anything, got around the park well and got stuck in

Ryan Jarvis - 7 impressed me, only had 10mins but looked very sharp, made 1 run going past 2 players before having a strike

Rossi Jarvis - only on a few mins

Marshall - 8 - He gets an 8 purely because he made some fantastic saves when called upon even though he didn''t have to do too much. One dodgy kick was all he did wrong all game (and that was only dodgy because it went straight out rather than to the player) He''s far too good for Championship, this guy will be a legend.

Ostembor - 8 ½ - Was awesome, pace, dribbling, overlapping were all fatastic. He was much quicker than their winger so every time they tried to beat him he either came away with the ball or got the ball to safety. He offered an attacking side to his game which we haven''t had from a full back for a long while. Put a fizzing cross/shot across the face of the goal which only needed a touch. I did notice his positional sense defensively wasn''t great, his man often drifted away from him and between him and Doc managed to let them nearly score by not tracking (Shacks had to cover and put the cross out for a corner)

Drury - 6 - Turned up, took a shot which was deflected into the top corner (didn''t look like the shot was going even on target to be honest but at least he had a pop) I don''t remember him making any significant contribution to the game. He loses every header going, lets crosses come in our box too often and his attacking side is shocking. In the first half all he did was lump the ball upfield toward Cureton and Brown (Brown did well but as you imagine Cureton wasn''t that effective!) We desperately need cover here, if only to give him a kick up the arse! It''s no good being a quality player three seasons ago, we need one now.

Shackell - 7 ½- Looked good,  covered the others, won headers, looked relatively quick and strong and didn''t do anything wrong.

Doherty - 6 - First half let the attackers get away from him on multiple occasions but second half didn''t have as much to do and won every header. If we could get a 1st choice replacement I wouldn''t be too unhappy having Doherty as a reserve. His attacks from corners are woeful, catching the ball from one and then randomly kicking the ball out and asking for another corner from another.

Brellier - 7 - Thought he was good, not great but good and shows signs that he will help our defence quite a lot. He hassled the opposition and seems to enjoy kicking others. Think he''ll be awesome (if you couldn''t guess I thought this anyway due to my name...)

Russell - 7 - Solid, got forward to support attacks, got back to support defence. Linked well with Ostembor. Nothing special but solid and at the minute definitely think him and Brellier are our first choice CM''s

Lappin - 6 ½ - I''m a fan of Lappin, looked a bit stronger than last season and has good final ball. Did some nice runs but didn''t beat the many too many times, usually retained posession though.

Martin - 7 - I still think we played more of a 4-3-1-2 with Chrissy playing in the hole as he was always behind the strikers and just in front of the midfielders. Was bypassed mostly by long balls, when he got the ball he looked pretty sharp and made good runs.

Cureton - 6 ½ - Wasn''t in the game too much in the first half as the defenders decided to lump the ball forward and he''d have trouble winning a header if he was up against Earnshaw (that''d be an aerial battle I''d like to see) but made good runs always looking for flick ons and knock downs. Will get goals.

Brown - 8 - I think he is slowly proving everyone wrong, he won most things in the air, kept the ball and had one or two decent efforts. A big strong lad who I believe will forge a good partnership with Cureton. Gives his all and doesn''t mind putting his body on the line - I''ve changed from undecided on him to a fan. I know two games doesn''t make a good player but I think he''ll do well.

Subs

Dave - 7 - Has very good touch. The ball was lumped up to him a few times and he seemed to instantly control it and try and lay it off (although some of his lay offs were inaccurate and put the man in trouble) I expected more from him when he first signed but he''s got to get used to English football and it''s too early to tell but will be a decent player I hope.

Jarvis - 6 - Didn''t do too much apart from one decent run where he beat a man and hit a shot which was blocked.

Hughes - 6 - Even in a friendly made me cringe when brought on in central midfield. To be fair didn''t do much wrong, ran around a lot and even made some good attacking runs (but wasn''t picked out)

Fotheringham - 6 ½ - Decent but not brilliant, didn''t have too much time on though. Good squad player.

and to the mods it wont let me use a quote, says the quote blocks are not matching i try matching them and it still says it ...

"I love it how people who have all been to the same game, seem to all have been at a totally different one! The variety in marks for players like Drury, Lappin and Croft is actually ridiculous!!!"

well sorry there not up to your standards ... next time I shall just copy everyone elses to satisfy you :) - at least we went 

[quote user="ipswichrscum"]

and to the mods it wont let me use a quote, says the quote blocks are not matching i try matching them and it still says it ...

"I love it how people who have all been to the same game, seem to all have been at a totally different one! The variety in marks for players like Drury, Lappin and Croft is actually ridiculous!!!"

well sorry there not up to your standards ... next time I shall just copy everyone elses to satisfy you :) - at least we went 

[/quote]

Spot on ipswichscum. Everyone has different opinion''s on how player''s perform in every game. If you didn''t go to the game yourself  look at how the majority of people rate each player, that should give you a good idea how everyone performed.

"I love it how people who have all been to the same game, seem to all have been at a totally different one! The variety in marks for players like Drury, Lappin and Croft is actually ridiculous!!!"You''re so right PGTA. My son and I usually have diametrically opposite views of the same game. It''s because it''s impossible to watch all 22 players at the same time, and your eyes follow your brain on whatever agenda it''s mapped out for you. The sooner we all accept that no-one has the "correct view" the better.

[quote user="topoftheleague"][quote user="ipswichrscum"]

[/quote]

Spot on ipswichscum. Everyone has different opinion''s on how player''s perform in every game. If you didn''t go to the game yourself  look at how the majority of people rate each player, that should give you a good idea how everyone performed.

[/quote]

I wasnt really critisizing, but lets be honest it is quite funny / strange how for example the same players performance is rated as a 4/10 and a 7or 8/10 i think it was!

No, i didnt go by the wat, (thanks for the dig!) but i did go to the west ham game and i do have a season ticket!

Indeed. At the end of the day we have only watched the game once, unless any of us were to get a tape of the game none of us can give a true indication of how well each played played IMO. So to the posyer n above who wasnt happy with our ratings, I can only say just go to the games yourself, because two people will never agree on eleven players.

[quote user="ipswichrscum"][quote user="Trent Canary"]

[/quote]

?? lappin was beating the right back loads ... my man of the match and should certaintly be given a chance to prove his place in the team this year.

[/quote]

agreed. Simon Lappin was the best player on the pitch on Friday

jas :)