Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Predictions for next seasons campaign-according to NOTW

The news of the world have predicted a 16th place finish for us next year. Cant say i go along with that, anything other than a top 10 finish is a fail. Id rather have Earnie than Cureton and rather have Etuhu and safri in midfield than brellier and russell but i cant see anything other than top 10. The big concern is that the fact remains we are a selling club, and with Marshall being without doubt the best in this league i could see a possible move for him and wouldnt be suprised if he wasnt here this time next year. {david}Marshall however is what im banking a good season on. Green and Marshall{Andy} were well overated but this guy is the business, and if we do lose him the confidence will drain from the back to the front. We also need a decent centre back asap to strenghen the team, and personally i would take a punt on free agent Andy Cole for competition up front. My main concern with the squad is the likes of Lappin, fotherington, Doc, Dury, and whether Dave Striker is all hes cracked up to be.

Prediction-7th

Perhaps the person righting the article isn''t wearing yellow & green tinted glasses.

If Hux and Marshall stay fit and we can add a decent centre back and even another striker then I think we may just sneak in the top 10. If either Hux or Marshall misses a substantial part of this season then I really fear a bottom 8 finish.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Id rather have Earnie than Cureton and rather have Etuhu and safri in midfield than brellier and russell.[/quote]

But Earnie and Etuhu didnt want to play for us and both had get out clauses whereas Cureton and Russell both want to play for us and will give their best. As for Brellier I''m assuming you didnt watch him in action the other night so how can you comment on him???

I am going to stick my neck out and put us at 6th behind 1. Sheffield United 2. West Brom 3. Charlton  4. Southampton  5. Cardiff

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Id rather have Earnie than Cureton and rather have Etuhu and safri in midfield than brellier and russell.[/quote]

But Earnie and Etuhu didnt want to play for us and both had get out clauses whereas Cureton and Russell both want to play for us and will give their best. As for Brellier I''m assuming you didnt watch him in action the other night so how can you comment on him???

[/quote]

You miss the point completly. I know they left but what im saying is i would feel more confident with them in the team than there replacements. As for brellier, i think hes ok but not an improvement on what we had last year.

Ahhh the News of the World, a fine choice of newspaper if you''ve run out of toilet paper...As for being a selling club, every club has ins and outs and is to be expected especially when you''ve not had the most successful season. The transfers going out were all done against the wishes of the club, barring Safri who while being a good player, will fail to make much more than 20 apperances again this season, possibly less if Morroco do well.As for the degregration of our new signings and current players, you should have made a point of better options or your choice of players, but you didn''t because you don''t know any better. As for whether certain players will come good, well isn''t that part of the excitement? not knowing what could happen?The center back issue, I completely agree on. If that is sorted I''ll be quitly confident [:)]

Top half, certainly for me, and if the team gels top six. When Worthy took over he organised a mediocre side into the play off final and that is what Grant seems to be aiming at. All the guys that have been brought in could do a job at a top six level better than Earnie, Etuhu & Safri if organised and motivated (and yes that does include Fotheringham, Brown and Lappin).

The question on whether we are a selling club is neither here nor there. These teams are built and broken up just about every close season. Earnie & Etuhu could get extra cash and on TV by moving up and who can blame them but it must be noted that they could only go to relegation candidates not challengers.

Anyway here are my guesses for next year..........

Charlton walk the Championship, Leicester get up automatically, West Brom struggle, Sheff U & Watford suffer relegation hangovers and also miss play offs, Billy Sharpe flops as does Freddie Eastwood, Robbie Fowler struggles; Southampton, City, Wolves & Cardiff make playoffs and Smudger is never happy.

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"]Ahhh the News of the World, a fine choice of newspaper if you''ve run out of toilet paper...

As for being a selling club, every club has ins and outs and is to be expected especially when you''ve not had the most successful season. The transfers going out were all done against the wishes of the club, barring Safri who while being a good player, will fail to make much more than 20 apperances again this season, possibly less if Morroco do well.

As for the degregration of our new signings and current players, you should have made a point of better options or your choice of players, but you didn''t because you don''t know any better. As for whether certain players will come good, well isn''t that part of the excitement? not knowing what could happen?

The center back issue, I completely agree on. If that is sorted I''ll be quitly confident [:)]
[/quote]

Why has everything got to turn into some sort of ''''I now better than you nah nah nah nah nah''''  arguement? I suggest you come back down a lttle from your somewhat over inflated ego. Oh and as for your comment about the NOTW. I find the sports pages usually very good unlike the rest of the paper so thats why i read it. Unlike the Guardian or whatever it you no doubt read.

Regards

We were very much an afterthought in the Sunday Mirror''s season preview as well. Our old friend Colin W**ker was the man looking in the crystal ball to predict the fortunes of all the Championship clubs. Extremely predictably, he said that Charlton and Sheffield Utd would make a swift return to the Premiership - we can only hope he''s wrong there. Ippo and us were given little chance of making the play offs, although for some reason that was unclear, he described the binner fans as "great" supporters. Pass the sickbag!

The problem is it isn''t very hard to see who these papers favour. Man U and Chelsea nearly always get a two page spread when a Championship side gets a couple of sentances if they are lucky.

On top of that you tend to get all kinds of misstakes in tabloids that tend to leave me wondering if they even witnessed  the match. I have seen things like Fleming being described as a midfielder, Huckerby being given the man of the match in two papers and by the match sponsers and getting a 3 out of ten for the same match.

The table they have come up with is purely based upon their readership.

The thing I find best is to check the Pink''un match summery which tends to be fair and reletively un-biased, and least remember it is free on here so its not like they have to big-up Norwich to get sales up!

Then I try and find a report by the Pink''Un''s opposite number for that match. Then if you try and find the middle ground  you have what is best to descibe an accurate picture.

I would not claim one papar is more accurate than another but it is worth noting who some of these tabloids are owned by. Rupert Murdoch owns many of them now and heavily influences them. As the owner of Sky he has strong links with the bigger clubs in the premiership and with the Premiership organises.

So whilst you are free to comment on such things I think all UEA is trying to say is don''t take them as Gospel, they are only printed opinions. We were favourites for relegation when we reached the play-off finals.

[quote user="chicken"]

So whilst you are free to comment on such things I think all UEA is trying to say is don''t take them as Gospel, they are only printed opinions. We were favourites for relegation when we reached the play-off finals.

[/quote]

Read the original post. I said i dont go along with the News of the worlds prediction.

Mid table is the best i think we can hope for. When grant was bidding for sharp and eastwood i really did think grant was going for the right type of players to get us up there, but with the signings he has made were not going anywhere this season. I don''t think any team will be scared of us and will probably think they stand a good chance of beating us at home or especially away. Sheff utd will be champs with the players they have and signings they have made.

The Grauniad is a good paper, appart from the football reporting and spelling which are a joke.  It depends what you want from a paper.  Personally I use the interent for football and the paper for the cartoons and, occasionally, news.The only thing I kind of disagree with you on here is that while Etuhu and Safri are probably players capable of playing better than Russell and Brellier (lack of evidence on the second two is the reason for the probably), I get the distinct impression that when you see the lineup as "Russell Brellier" you will have a much better idea of how strong the midfield will be than seeing "Etuhu Safri" where there was such a large range of possible outcomes that it was impossible to predict whether we were going to dominate the midfield or not.  This is nice to know, both from the manager''s perspective (as his game plan is easier to make) and for fans confidence as well.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

I have seen Brellier play 3 times in scotland when ive been up there which is more than 1 friendly against a patched up Vitesse Arnham friendly. Hes decent in the scots league but i reserve judgement till the end of the season. Im not saying hes better than safri or Etuhu because he played well against Vitesse bloody Arnham.

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"]Ahhh the News of the World, a fine choice of newspaper if you''ve run out of toilet paper...As for being a selling club, every club has ins and outs and is to be expected especially when you''ve not had the most successful season. The transfers going out were all done against the wishes of the club, barring Safri who while being a good player, will fail to make much more than 20 apperances again this season, possibly less if Morroco do well.As for the degregration of our new signings and current players, you should have made a point of better options or your choice of players, but you didn''t because you don''t know any better. As for whether certain players will come good, well isn''t that part of the excitement? not knowing what could happen?The center back issue, I completely agree on. If that is sorted I''ll be quitly confident [:)][/quote]

Why has everything got to turn into some sort of ''''I now better than you nah nah nah nah nah''''  arguement? I suggest you come back down a lttle from your somewhat over inflated ego. Oh and as for your comment about the NOTW. I find the sports pages usually very good unlike the rest of the paper so thats why i read it. Unlike the Guardian or whatever it you no doubt read.

Regards

[/quote]Nowhere in my post do I pretend or say to know better, I am merely challenging your points, which if you don''t like you really shouldn''t be posting on a messageboard. No matter what you say the NOTW is still a tabloid rag, and personally I prefer something with a little more credability (no not the guardian). I notice you failed to counter argue any of my important points made,  but then thats what you do 90% of the time. Any time someone tries to argue a point against you all you can seem to do is resort to a few childish insults and avoid any of the points made by the other poster.I''m afraid if your going to be a thread starter you''ve gotta be prepared for people to challange you.

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"]Ahhh the News of the World, a fine choice of newspaper if you''ve run out of toilet paper...

As for being a selling club, every club has ins and outs and is to be expected especially when you''ve not had the most successful season. The transfers going out were all done against the wishes of the club, barring Safri who while being a good player, will fail to make much more than 20 apperances again this season, possibly less if Morroco do well.

As for the degregration of our new signings and current players, you should have made a point of better options or your choice of players, but you didn''t because you don''t know any better. As for whether certain players will come good, well isn''t that part of the excitement? not knowing what could happen?

The center back issue, I completely agree on. If that is sorted I''ll be quitly confident [:)]
[/quote]

Regards

[/quote]

Hey Arthur....this what makes it such fun on here!  Lots of smart arses (mostly current or ex-students) for whom the world began on the day they were born....and who know more about the club and football in general than us older ones ever will thanks to the internet.

God I wish I were younger and wiser like them.............

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

Regards

[/quote]

Nowhere in my post do I pretend or say to know better, I am merely challenging your points, which if you don''t like you really shouldn''t be posting on a messageboard. No matter what you say the NOTW is still a tabloid rag, and personally I prefer something with a little more credability (no not the guardian). I notice you failed to counter argue any of my important points made,  but then thats what you do 90% of the time. Any time someone tries to argue a point against you all you can seem to do is resort to a few childish insults and avoid any of the points made by the other poster.

I''m afraid if your going to be a thread starter you''ve gotta be prepared for people to challange you.
[/quote]

If you bothered to read the original post i quite clearly state that i dont go along with the news of the worlds prediction, so please read it again and get back to me. You seem very touchy when proved wrong.

7rew wrote "The Grauniad"

Wow haven''t seen it called that for a while !!!

I can remember a competition they once ran about their poor spelling it said...

Somewhere in this papper there is a deliferate mistale - if you cal spot the deliferate mistale you will deliebe £24000 by returb of nost. It could be spilling or poctuation or the pange gumblers could be wrong.

Happy Days 

[/quote]

The News of the World is actually pretty decent on sport.  Looking at the players in/players out from a little further away I don''t think if another club had made these signings we would be waxing lyrical about them.  A young goalie who failed to make the grade at Celtic, an ordinary championship slogger in Russell, another kicker in Brellier, a nobody in Gilkes, an unknown in Strihavka, a bit of a troublemaker in Ostemobor.  Cureton had a decent year last year, but is a journeyman player with a few goals in him at most times.  I think he overacheived last season but will still get a good 15 this time out.

If you look from further out at what we have lost, we have lost the guaranteed top championship goalscorer in earnshaw,  PowerHouse midfielder Dickson Etuhu, Morrocan International Yousseff Safri and Dutch Right Back Jurgen Colin to bigger clubs and recent failures McVeigh, Louis-Jean and Thorne and Henderson to the lower divisions.

Personally I think Brellier, Marshall and Ostemobor will turn out to be great signings, and hopefully if we can create chances poacher Cureton will dip in with a hatfull.  I''m not sure Strihavka will enjoy the long ball stuff when it arrives as I fear for the quality of passing at the club.  When Saffers didnt play the others seemed unable to get the ball out to the wings in dangerous areas as often.  Russell will be Russell - hopefully Smith will add some quality.

I think we will do better than the news of the world prediction, but can entirely see why they listed us so low.

If you haven''t seen it written like that for a while, try Private Eye.  They also still use the terms: Indescribaly Boring, the Torygraph and the News of the Screws.

[quote user="7rew"]If you haven''t seen it written like that for a while, try Private Eye.  They also still use the terms: Indescribaly Boring, the Torygraph and the News of the Screws.
[/quote]

Plagiarism...... showing a total lack of originality.......and quoting a comic read by nerds to impress other nerds.

It doesn''t work on "real people" unfortunately.......hey ho.

7rew wrote:

If you haven''t seen it written like that for a while, try Private Eye.  They also still use the terms: Indescribaly Boring, the Torygraph and the News of the Screws.
Cluck wrote

Plagiarism...... showing a total lack of originality.......and quoting a comic read by nerds to impress other nerds.

It doesn''t work on "real people" unfortunately.......hey ho.

Thats OK then you appear to be a chicken wearing glasses

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]relegated.GRANT OUT NOW[/quote]LOL......I wouldnt put any money on either of those happening.  Are you sure you know what football is ?

Teletext has us down for 13th , Ipswich 10th while the BBC sport webpages say we are no more than also rans , so its not just the News of the World writing us off its everybody .

[quote user="ncfc1"]Teletext has us down for 13th , Ipswich 10th while the BBC sport webpages say we are no more than also rans , so its not just the News of the World writing us off its everybody .[/quote]

Good, i like the lack of support, hopefully people will no longer raise their game visiting CR any more