Sign in to follow this  
derehamcanary_fan

what age

I was ten when I went to my first match with my dad back in 1961 - I hope to take my grandson, who will be seven next month to see Norwich at Charlton as a birthday treat in September, if we can manage to get the tickets.

I was about 12 when my Dad took me to my first game and I''ve been hooked ever since.

I went to my first match when I was 10 and I really feel like I missed out by not going earlier! I took my son when he was 5 and my grandson went to his first away game before he was 3!

Take your 2 year old but sit somewhere near the front, I took my grandson where my seat is at the back EBlock LB and had to hold him all game so he could see! We are taking him to the Barnet game and got tickets in the Jarrold, his ticket was a quid!

Ah, another Dereham lad on the forum... We''ll take over soon!!

I''ve been having this discussion with my mates a lot recently as I now have a son (5 months old). I think 5 is probably a good age as any younger & you''ll be hard pushed to keep them interested in the game for 90 minutes.

My first game was in 1984 when I was 7 & I''ve been a regular ever since.

I was conceived in the River End penalty area following a Bernard Robinson goal celebration.....so I guess that makes me the youngest........

I think  I was ten; I can never remember the exact year but it was away at Oxford Utd and Norwich won 1-0. I was supporting Oxford at the time, as my local team. I didn''t realise back then that my Dad was actually a Norwich fan (as was his father) so took up the family tradition a few years later in 1992 (I would have been fifteen then). I''ve been Yellow & Green ever since, but have taken a passing interest in thelocal teams where I''ve lived (Oxford, Northampton, Bangor City, Newcastle, and now Lincoln. I didn''t take interest in any local teams when I was living in Croydon cos they''re all ''orrible.

[quote user="The Legend of Huckerby"]

I''ve been having this discussion with my mates a lot recently as I now have a son (5 months old). I think 5 is probably a good age as any younger & you''ll be hard pushed to keep them interested in the game for 90 minutes.

[/quote]

In dereham too, so the numbers keep rising [:)]

i remember it .. but as i used 2 hate football i dont have a clue who we were playing, wen it was or how old i was. All i remember is saying ''whats the strange man in the black doing running about in the middle of the pitch'' ... i didnt kno alot.

Crikey, all a long time ago now....my first ever game was when I was 8, Easter 1978 v Binners at their place.  I went with some of my binner supporting  family in the Churchman''s end.  I was not really a supporter of anyone, it was just a big load of people and noise, and really exciting at that age.  We lost 4-0 (they were on the way to winning the cup).  I remember a few of the goals (Brian Talbot scored 2 I think)....I recall feeling really sorry for the Norwich fans, as it was where I was from, and decided that I should support them from then on which I did - though I wasn''t ''allowed'' to go regularly with friends until the mid 80s.

As with Lincoln, I have a passing interest in many sides where I''ve lived - Fulham and Brentford (I lived in Putney in early 90s, used to go watch Fulham when they were in Div 3/4), Kingstonian, AFC Wimbledon (both play in Kingston, local to me now), and Sheffield Weds as this is near to where the Mrs is from.

My first match was when i was five v. Crystal Palace, lost 1-0 and there was a huge fight on the pitch!

2 is far too young! wait til they are 3 or 4 and take them to a reserve game, face painting, bouncy castles etc.. splat the cat and Captain Canary are there... kids love that sort of thing and are more than likely to want to go again.. u can introduce 1st team games later on

jas :)

[quote user="The Legend of Huckerby"]

[/quote]yeah true very difficult to keep him occupied,  will porbably take him for his 5th birthday as its in october hopefully itll be to a match when were back in the prem lol who knows,

[quote user="Cluck "]I was conceived in the River End penalty area following a Bernard Robinson goal celebration.....so I guess that makes me the youngest........[/quote]

Very sporting of your mother, I''d suggest.

[quote user="canarygeorge"]

Southend when i was ten. Norwich when i was fifteen.

I''m 60 now. 

[/quote]

Southend when I was 10.  Norwich when I was 14.

I''m 51 now

I went to my first game aged about 8 against York City. Kenny Fogo was on fire that day, I may be wrong but think he scored a hat-trick we won 3-0. My daughter Natalie went to her 1st game aged 18 months against Utrecht, she now goes quite often aged 5 and loves it, I think its very hard for them to watch 90 mins before the age of 4/5.

Milk Cup final 1985 with 100,000 people at Wembley.

I was 6 years old and all I can really remember is walking away from the stadium.

First game at Carrow Road was the first game of the next season, we beat Oldham 1nil and can just remember being in awe of the noise from the Barclay!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

2 is far too young! wait til they are 3 or 4 and take them to a reserve game, face painting, bouncy castles etc.. splat the cat and Captain Canary are there... kids love that sort of thing and are more than likely to want to go again.. u can introduce 1st team games later on

jas :)

[/quote]

That sounds lik a good idea get him captured by the spirit and makes it fun for him to want to go again,  will keep eye out for reserve team fixtures, will be a good start for him ot be a canary fan,hopefully get him hooked before his mother can turn him to the dark side

Home against Liverpool when i was 8. Took my 4 year old son to the England under 21 game a couple of months ago and will take him for his first NCFC experience at the Barnet game.

Hmm I think I was 8 as it was the 98/99 season and Im 17 now, I remember it was the televised Bury clash, 0-0 I believe with Forbes winning a penalty down our end (I was in the upper N&P) in the 90th minute, and Bellamy missed pretty much passing it to the keeper!

A sign of things to come I found out years later, full of expectation but ultimately let down.

[quote user="Cluck "]I was conceived in the River End penalty area following a Bernard Robinson goal celebration.....so I guess that makes me the youngest........[/quote]

Cluck you lovely old boy are you saying that the Ref is your father. This would explain alot . [;)] . As for me i was 5 before i went to school even . Got hit in face by the ball crying for most of the 2 nd half , my brother saying "it would be you wouldn''t it". arrdee .

[quote user="arrdee"]

Cluck you lovely old boy are you saying that the Ref is your father. This would explain alot . [;)] . As for me i was 5 before i went to school even . Got hit in face by the ball crying for most of the 2 nd half , my brother saying "it would be you wouldn''t it". arrdee .

[/quote]

Hehehe....You''re forgetting I''m a bird Arrdee.....and very few of us ever get to know who our father was. [:''(] 

However.....I guess that fact makes me a bustard either way.......