Sign in to follow this  
Panic

Are you sick of the 'Top Teams'?

I am so fed up with the ''big teams'' of the Premier League, Man Utd especially. Every bloody day you see match reports in the papers and on telly for pre-season friendlies with Big Sides. Who actually gives a stuff? We (myself included) all moan about being 11th in the Championship but there is something romantic about losing 3-1 to Plymouth Argyle on a wet November evening. A big club fan will never get to experince what its like to celebrate winning the league, the first time for a long time, in the center of your city or sing your heart out in the away section of Stamford Bridge even though you know your going to loose. Who''s going to win the Championship? You might as well roll a dice. Who''s going to win the Premeir League? Err... Man Utd or Chelsea. Now I''m not just bashing the top sides, I mean I''ll cheer Man Utd or Chelsea if they are the Champions League and they all play fantastic football that is good to watch, but do we really need to know all the details of thier pre-season matches? No and that''s why we support Norwich City.

Yes, the media coverage is overwhelming and perhaps rather nauseating, particularly in the off-season. Suggest you only skim the sports pages and watch cricket/tennis/golf - that''s what I do!! Although being a Gorleston supporter one finds it difficult to find news of the Greens within the Canary dominated pages of Archant!!

Once the season starts, however, I find much of the prem fare interesting - although I keep it in a separate pocket and entirely subsidiary to my unflinching support for our NCFC.

There are really 3 sections to the prem - almost 3 mini leagues as it were. Obviously the top 4 vying for 1st place. I favour Man Utd & Liverpool. Then there is the tussle to see if another club can break into the ''top 4'' to make it a ''top 5/6''. Here my long time sympathies are with Spurs who do seem to have a chance. I suppose my Spurs sympathies stem from watching some of the great Spurs side of the early 60''s - and sweet memories of our great Spurs ''rejects''.

Then of course there is the competition for the UEFA cup places. And lastly - and perhaps the most fascinating of all - the perennial struggles to avoid relegation...........

The other prem club with which I am sympatico is West Ham - because of some boyhood days to some extent - and also because of the romance of Peters, Hurst and the incomparable Bobby Moore - just about the best central defender I have ever seen.

I will make sure to watch any prem match involving former City players and be proud of their achievements. Yes, I will be rooting for Ashton, Bellamy, Green, Crouch, Earny, Etuhu, Bentley etc and urging them on - all of them.

I will be hoping that Watford will accompany us to the prem. Again, I suppose, because of early memories of Vicarage Road and later the fabulous years with the great Johnny Barnes - author of the 2 most fantastic cameos I have seen in an England shirt. 

And I''ll watch any match with Wayne Rooney.

Yep. It''s going to be a busy old time ahead. Can City make it back to the prem, will we flirt with further relegation again? What is Peter Grant really made of? Can Liverpool upset Man Utd in the prem (b*lls to Chelsea & Arsenal - except in the European Champions League!!). Can Spurs make the breakthrough, can West Ham consolidate? Can Dean Ashton seal an England place. What will Mr Bellamy do this year? Can Robert Green sustain his fabulous season saving form into the new year?

And I wait to see  Mr Rooney now that Tevez is there!!!!

Yep, media coverage is over the top, but ignore it and enjoy the dramas within.

And shoot. Wouldn''t it be wonderful if sometime soon we could factor City into those dramas again?

It''s our game, it''s the peoples game, it''s the beautiful game, it''s the ugly game. It''s modern warfare. It''s drama. Forget the moneymen. Enjoy.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Yes, the media coverage is overwhelming and perhaps rather nauseating, particularly in the off-season. Suggest you only skim the sports pages and watch cricket/tennis/golf - that''s what I do!! Although being a Gorleston supporter one finds it difficult to find news of the Greens within the Canary dominated pages of Archant!!

Once the season starts, however, I find much of the prem fare interesting - although I keep it in a separate pocket and entirely subsidiary to my unflinching support for our NCFC.

There are really 3 sections to the prem - almost 3 mini leagues as it were. Obviously the top 4 vying for 1st place. I favour Man Utd & Liverpool. Then there is the tussle to see if another club can break into the ''top 4'' to make it a ''top 5/6''. Here my long time sympathies are with Spurs who do seem to have a chance. I suppose my Spurs sympathies stem from watching some of the great Spurs side of the early 60''s - and sweet memories of our great Spurs ''rejects''.

Then of course there is the competition for the UEFA cup places. And lastly - and perhaps the most fascinating of all - the perennial struggles to avoid relegation...........

The other prem club with which I am sympatico is West Ham - because of some boyhood days to some extent - and also because of the romance of Peters, Hurst and the incomparable Bobby Moore - just about the best central defender I have ever seen.

I will make sure to watch any prem match involving former City players and be proud of their achievements. Yes, I will be rooting for Ashton, Bellamy, Green, Crouch, Earny, Etuhu, Bentley etc and urging them on - all of them.

I will be hoping that Watford will accompany us to the prem. Again, I suppose, because of early memories of Vicarage Road and later the fabulous years with the great Johnny Barnes - author of the 2 most fantastic cameos I have seen in an England shirt. 

And I''ll watch any match with Wayne Rooney.

Yep. It''s going to be a busy old time ahead. Can City make it back to the prem, will we flirt with further relegation again? What is Peter Grant really made of? Can Liverpool upset Man Utd in the prem (b*lls to Chelsea & Arsenal - except in the European Champions League!!). Can Spurs make the breakthrough, can West Ham consolidate? Can Dean Ashton seal an England place. What will Mr Bellamy do this year? Can Robert Green sustain his fabulous season saving form into the new year?

And I wait to see  Mr Rooney now that Tevez is there!!!!

Yep, media coverage is over the top, but ignore it and enjoy the dramas within.

And shoot. Wouldn''t it be wonderful if sometime soon we could factor City into those dramas again?

It''s our game, it''s the peoples game, it''s the beautiful game, it''s the ugly game. It''s modern warfare. It''s drama. Forget the moneymen. Enjoy.

OTBC

[/quote]

A fantastic post, and I agree - although the coverage the big teams get is over-the-top, I still follow the Premiership with a lot of interest, although obviously my priority is supporting Norwich (as with everyone else here).

And I always follow the fortunes of ex-Norwich players in the Prem as well, good luck to all of them.

[quote user="canaries1"]

I mean I''ll cheer Man Utd or Chelsea if they are the Champions League [/quote]

i dont.. i have never understood this mentality... why cheer for a team u dont support in a competition that has no bearing on ur club and wont benefit English football in anyway if one of the sides wins it?

Do u cheer for boro in the UEFA cup?

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="canaries1"]

i dont.. i have never understood this mentality... why cheer for a team u dont support in a competition that has no bearing on ur club and wont benefit English football in anyway if one of the sides wins it?

[/quote]

Yup, I do. Ipswich in the UEFA too.

Why? Because I''m Norfolk, then East Anglian, then English, and then British when it comes to football.

If you really love the game jas, try taking a broader view because there''s an awful lot that you''re missing.

OTBC

[quote user="canaries1"]

I am so fed up with the ''big teams'' of the Premier League, Man Utd especially. Every bloody day you see match reports in the papers and on telly for pre-season friendlies with Big Sides. Who actually gives a stuff? We (myself included) all moan about being 11th in the Championship but there is something romantic about losing 3-1 to Plymouth Argyle on a wet November evening. A big club fan will never get to experince what its like to celebrate winning the league, the first time for a long time, in the center of your city or sing your heart out in the away section of Stamford Bridge even though you know your going to loose. Who''s going to win the Championship? You might as well roll a dice. Who''s going to win the Premeir League? Err... Man Utd or Chelsea. Now I''m not just bashing the top sides, I mean I''ll cheer Man Utd or Chelsea if they are the Champions League and they all play fantastic football that is good to watch, but do we really need to know all the details of thier pre-season matches? No and that''s why we support Norwich City.

[/quote]

16th mate!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="canaries1"]

[/quote]

Why? Because I''m Norfolk, then East Anglian, then English, and then British when it comes to football.

If you really love the game jas, try taking a broader view because there''s an awful lot that you''re missing.

OTBC

[/quote]

It''s a romantic view of days gone by Bly.. but each to their own and this is not meant to be a criticism. It''s entirely possible that you could have a Champions League Final between say Arsenal and say Real Madrid and it''s entirely possible that Real Madrid could start with 3 x more English players than Arsenal. Which would be the side for a true patriot to support?

As for Ipswich in the UEFA.. as I said each to their own Binner Boy [;)]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="canaries1"]

[/quote]

not true, Success in european competition keeps up the number of Champions league and UEFA cup spots available.  Anyway I am norwich First, then English, then British as far as football goes.  And will support fellow english sides against the other cheating nations [;)]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="canaries1"]

[/quote]

not true, Success in european competition keeps up the number of Champions league and UEFA cup spots available.  Anyway I am norwich First, then English, then British as far as football goes.  And will support fellow english sides against the other cheating nations [;)]

[/quote]

Sorry CJF but I can''t go alone with that at all. The UEFA cup is a club competition, not a national one. My club is Norwich City and nobody else. When we qualified for the UEFA cup the last thing I would have wanted in our greatest moment was Ipswich supporters cheering us on!

Am I the only person who will go against the prevailing view of patriotism - I rooted for AC Milan in the Champions League Final, because the Liverpool v Chelsea semi was sooooo dull.I support Norwich then root for Gorleston Town then the teams my friends support, then the team that EARNS my rooting for them by playing attacking football (I want this to win, so that it is played more).

Those of you who live in Norfolk are the lucky ones (in more than one sense) - I live among mostly Chelsea and Arsenal fans, and I do get cheesed off with their overwhelming, "head up their backsides", blinkered view of all things football. For them nothing exists outside the top half of the Prem.....

My son gets it even worse, he is the only kid in his school supporting the Canaries - despite the stick, he wears his colours with pride.

So, YES, I do get sick of the top teams.....

I think you will find anyone that supports a smaller club gets fed up with all the fuss about the big boys.But sadly they are what sell newspapers and get media interest,not little old Norwich for example.As for Europe I normally support the English side except Liverpool due to the fact they got us banned from europe and Norwich missed out on a couple of UEFA cup runs.Oh and ofc the lot from Portaloo Rd.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="canaries1"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

how the hell can anyone claiming to be a Norwich fan cheer for their arch rivals in european Competition?

what makes me laugh is that these people who "cheer" for the likes of manchester united and Chelski in europe are the same people who are bemoaning their use of foreign players and how they are killing off the game in this country. yet if these teams swanned off to a european superleague u''d all rejoice as it would supposedly make the premuiership more competitive, yet u would still cheer for these sides in the super league even though they turned their back on the english game?

when Liverpool won the champions league we all celebrated im sure, as indeed when united won it. but apart from these clubs getting even more money than they already have what difference did it make to BRITISH football.. little.. in fact none!.

the "champions" league is a mickey mouse competition in itself. how a team that finishes 4th can enter a tournament for "champions" is Laughable.

Michel Platnini has talked about changing the format back to knockout rounds (scrapping the group stages thus increasing the chances of upsets) and also only allowing league champions and Domestic cup winners (which would include the Worthington cup) into the champions league, because cup winners and league winners have won something.. ergo they are "Champions" 2nd plae would be a uefa cup spot.. and rightly so in my opinion.

Agree that the Champions league should be the only the league champions from the respective leagues.

I for one would champion a return of the old format.  Champions = champions league | Cup Winners = European Cup Winners Cup | Other spots = UEFA Cup.

I always try to follow the british club when playing in europe.  Don''t really care either way but would prefer the home country to do well.

What I do appreciate, and what I do want to see is good, entertaining, skillful football.  You don''t always get this watching Norwich in the championship (in fact you rarely get it!!).  It is by far and away a different sensation watching the team you support.  It is more emotional than entertaining.

[quote user="albyella"]

Those of you who live in Norfolk are the lucky ones (in more than one sense) - I live among mostly Chelsea and Arsenal fans, and I do get cheesed off with their overwhelming, "head up their backsides", blinkered view of all things football. For them nothing exists outside the top half of the Prem.....

My son gets it even worse, he is the only kid in his school supporting the Canaries - despite the stick, he wears his colours with pride.

[/quote]

You won''t believe were i live mate!

[:)][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="canaries1"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

It''s a romantic view of days gone by Bly..** but each to their own and this is not meant to be a criticism. It''s entirely possible that you could have a Champions League Final between say Arsenal and say Real Madrid and it''s entirely possible that Real Madrid could start with 3 x more English players than Arsenal. Which would be the side for a true patriot to support?

[/quote]

** And which part of which post are you referring to Nutty? You''ve lost me. Or maybe your secretary got the threads mixed up again.[:-*]

But there again maybe you are just setting up a target so you can try to shoot it down?

If you look at my first post it describes my present feelings on this matter whilst employing references to the past as texture - how I arrived at some of my views.

My second post is factual.

I also admire Sir Alf Ramsay and Sir Bobby Robson as two of the foremost football icons of my time. So bleeeeh..........[:P]

I know you flinch whenever I bite you with some truth from the past about our beloved NCFC, but you''re safe on this thread, so don''t you worry so and get so defensive.[;)]

Texture, Nutty, texture - it''s what sweetens the world. Try it, nuh.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][:)][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="canaries1"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

It''s a romantic view of days gone by Bly..** but each to their own and this is not meant to be a criticism. It''s entirely possible that you could have a Champions League Final between say Arsenal and say Real Madrid and it''s entirely possible that Real Madrid could start with 3 x more English players than Arsenal. Which would be the side for a true patriot to support?

[/quote]

** And which part of which post are you referring to Nutty? You''ve lost me. Or maybe your secretary got the threads mixed up again.[:-*]

But there again maybe you are just setting up a target so you can try to shoot it down?

If you look at my first post it describes my present feelings on this matter whilst employing references to the past as texture - how I arrived at some of my views.

I also admire Sir Alf Ramsay and Sir Bobby Robson as two of the foremost football icons of my time. So bleeeeh..........[:P]

I know you flinch whenever I bite you with some truth from the past about our beloved NCFC, but you''re safe on this thread, so don''t you worry so and get so defensive.[;)]

OTBC

[/quote]

I did say it wasn''t a criticism and I thought I had explained my point but I have used your pretty pink to show you and will try again.

See, I remember so badly wanting Manchester United to beat Benfica in 1968. Manchester United being the team with the British players and Benfica being the foreigners. But now it''s entirely possible that a side like Arsenal could contest the Champions League Final without one British player in their side. It''s different for me now even if it isn''t for you.

As for your original post, I enjoyed it but I am not qualified to comment. I will probably see over 40 Norwich games this season, but I will probably only see half a dozen or so Premier League / Champions League games. Finances and work commitments don''t allow for both and I much prefer the delights of Port Vale V Norwich on a Tuesday evening in the Carling Cup to Chelsea V Barcelona in my armchair. But that''s personal choice. Which do you prefer? And how many live games do you see per TV games, go on, I dare ya, you know you really want to answer one of my questions before hell freezes over [O][sn][:^)][|-)][S][;)]

I am not gonna to react to the piswich thing except to ask if  you were proud watching Paul Mariner in an England shirt too?

Don''t really understand why people feel the need to "cheer on" English teams in Europe, I just want the best footballing team to win.

I enjoy watching Man Utd because they play excellent attacking football but if they come up against Barcelona, for instance, do I really, desperately want them to win? No, I just want to see the best game of football possible, if that means that United lose 5-3 then that''s fine by me. That''s the beauty of watching matches without Norwich involved, there''s no emotional attachment so you can just sit back and enjoy the game. Or perhaps some of you are not satisfied with being Norwich fans and need to experience success vicariously through latching on to United or Chelsea a few times each season?

So ultimately I want Liverpool and Chelsea knocked out as soon as possible to save us from any repeats of their dull SF this year, United to swashbuckle their way to the latter stages where they will be beaten by a superior footballing side..........like Arsenal.........with all their lovely foreigners!

In answer to the original poster, I do get sick of the top teams occasionally but as I subscribe to SKY then it''s my own fault really!

Don''t really understand why people feel the need to "cheer on" English teams in Europe, I just want the best footballing team to win.

I enjoy watching Man Utd because they play excellent attacking football but if they come up against Barcelona, for instance, do I really, desperately want them to win? No, I just want to see the best game of football possible, if that means that United lose 5-3 then that''s fine by me. That''s the beauty of watching matches without Norwich involved, there''s no emotional attachment so you can just sit back and enjoy the game. Or perhaps some of you are not satisfied with being Norwich fans and need to experience success vicariously through latching on to United or Chelsea a few times each season?

So ultimately I want Liverpool and Chelsea knocked out as soon as possible to save us from any repeats of their dull SF this year, United to swashbuckle their way to the latter stages where they will be beaten by a superior footballing side..........like Arsenal.........with all their lovely foreigners!

In answer to the original poster, I do get sick of the top teams occasionally but as I subscribe to SKY then it''s my own fault really!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][:)][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="canaries1"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

I did say it wasn''t a criticism and I thought I had explained my point but I have used your pretty pink to show you and will try again.

See, I remember so badly wanting Manchester United to beat Benfica in 1968. Manchester United being the team with the British players and Benfica being the foreigners. But now it''s entirely possible that a side like Arsenal could contest the Champions League Final without one British player in their side. It''s different for me now even if it isn''t for you.

As for your original post, I enjoyed it but I am not qualified to comment. I will probably see over 40 Norwich games this season, but I will probably only see half a dozen or so Premier League / Champions League games. Finances and work commitments don''t allow for both and I much prefer the delights of Port Vale V Norwich on a Tuesday evening in the Carling Cup to Chelsea V Barcelona in my armchair. But that''s personal choice. Which do you prefer? And how many live games do you see per TV games, go on, I dare ya, you know you really want to answer one of my questions before hell freezes over [O][sn][:^)][|-)][S][;)]

I am not gonna to react to the piswich thing except to ask if  you were proud watching Paul Mariner* in an England shirt too?

[/quote]

Quite frankly I can''t remember about Mariner Nutty, but I would imagine so since he was playing for England.

You must have really got your knickers in a twist when those two sons of Ipswich - Louie Donowa and Ruel Fox - were running the opposition ragged for us in the ''80s & ''90s. Did you cheer them on  or sit tight on your hands letting Piswich get in the way?

There. I know you like a touch of blue from time to time.

[:)]

OTBC

Ok Bly, forget the touch of blue or the blue touch paper. (Louie Donawa had pace didn''t he? No control though. But I liked him even though he was about as popular as Hughes, Henderson, Doherty and Sutch put together!)

[quote user="canaries1"][quote user="albyella"]

[/quote]

You won''t believe were i live mate!

[/quote]

Go on then........

i (somtimes annoyingly) live in Stowmarket, suffolk. I think there is about three city fans in my school (including me) and i also wear my shirt with pride. I love coming to carrow road and read this forum as i can talk about city! And yes Delia does live around here (somewere)...

[quote user="albyella"]

[/quote]

Come up to North Bucks, we get loads of Liverpool along with the obligitory Chelsea & Arsenal.

Sorry if it seems blinkered but its Norwich for me and then...well, thats it!

I can''t whip up much interest or support for watching England nowadays, like some others on here that might be because I consider myself a Brancastrian and therefore Norfolk first and then English. Watching England is so predictable these days, same old media hype, players, performances, inquests, bla bla bla....I''ll follow England matches of course, but the result, good or bad, doesn''t affect my mood at all, and, given the choice -and I know lots will agree with me- if it came down to us getting promotion next season or England winning Euro 2008, then promotion for us every time, hell, if it was a choice between us winning at Preston on Saturday or England winning Euro 2008 AND the World Cup in 2010, then give me those three points at Deepdale!

As for English clubs in Europe, no. They''re not in it for England, Britain, or the game in general, they''re in it for themselves. I''m not saying thats a bad thing, indeed, thats how it is-the prestige and rewards are theirs, as is the recognition that goes with it. I can''t dislike or even have no interest in Chelsea or Liverpool one week, then be sitting on the edge of my seat hoping that they beat Bayern Munich the next! I''ll watch the games but as a neutral, if they''re good games, great, you can appreciate the play, the players, all aspects of it without the trauma of supporting one or the other teams!

I remember last season when the CCC etc started a week ahead of the Prem-on the opening Prem Saturday, when Football Focus came on, the presenter said, without a trace of irony, "...the football season starts today..." That said it all for me really. There is a fear that the top 4 clubs in the Prem will eventually up sticks and join a Euro Superleague if they don''t get things repeatedly their own way, I hope the PL and FA etc call their bluff one day and let them-I think they need the game in this country more than the game needs them, and a revamped Prem minus Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd might generate a whole lot more general interest and excitement than it does at the moment.

[quote user="canaries1"]

i (somtimes annoyingly) live in Stowmarket, suffolk. I think there is about three city fans in my school (including me) and i also wear my shirt with pride. I love coming to carrow road and read this forum as i can talk about city! And yes Delia does live around here (somewere)...

[/quote]

Good on you - I used to live in Bardwell (near BSE), and worse, I was living there when the Binners won the FA cup - can you imagine!!!!!!