Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

On balance, has the board been more ambitious or prudent this summer?

This time next week we shall be starting to find out.

The big question is whether the new acquisitions will turn out to be duds or diamonds when the pressure starts.

Good luck Peter Grant.

OTBC

Without doubt more prudent than ever BlyBly...

No money invested directly in to the transfer kitty by those in the boardroom.... and a £1.5million to £2million profit on our transfer dealings thus far.

Doesn''t take a genius to figure out why most of the pundits and jounalist''s in the national press have us down for a mid-table to bottom half finsih yet again this coming season does it????

We will only be able to really answer this question at the end of August.

However if we sign no-one else before then we can''t really say they have backed their statements of ambition with hard cash. Don''t be fooled by their statements of "we have signed 8 players" - though this is factually correct they always omit to say how many players have left the club. They also conveniently forget to say that many of those who have left were also the higher earners in the club i.e.; Thorne, McVeigh, Earnshaw, Etuhu and Safri.

There is no doubt that Income from player sales and savings on salaries far outweighs any expenditure this summer - is that ambition ? - In my view - absolutely not. 

Our better players have gone (other than Hucks) and we have gambled by replacing them with cheaper alternatives, may be this gamble will come off, may be not. If it doesn''t then we are in real problems. Lets keep our fingers crossed ...

And we can now add to that Hughes wages which won''t have been insignificant...the board must be rubbing their hands with all this extra cash they have got.

If we don''t sign 2 permanent players before the end of the window (and decent one at that) - I think the answer to your initial question Bly is clear and staring everybody in the face. Of course some will still choose to ignore it !!!

[quote user="The Judge"]

And we can now add to that Hughes wages which won''t have been insignificant...the board must be rubbing their hands with all this extra cash they have got.

If we don''t sign 2 permanent players before the end of the window (and decent one at that) - I think the answer to your initial question Bly is clear and staring everybody in the face. Of course some will still choose to ignore it !!!

[/quote]

Absolutely Spot On Judge!!!  [Y]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="The Judge"]

[/quote]

Absolutely Spot On Judge!!!  [Y]

[/quote]

Unfortunately, this is all right. We need a Central Defender, DESPERATELY. A Midfielder would be required too. One on loan, one permenant is most likely ,atleast, i hope it is.

Without this, we have just as much chance being relegated as we do promoted.

Things had to change after 3 bad seasons. Has Grant has got it right? we wont know till after 10 games. But I must agree with Smudger, the board have been as prudent as ever. They had to let Grant have some of the money from transfers just so we could put a team out.

I wish Grant luck because I don''t want another season of misery

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

Niether, while we have spent money, it''s not like we''ve splashed out. Personally if the board really want promotion there going to have to gamble some money on an expensive and preferablly good defender or two. By my calculations there should be about £2 million-ish left and it needs to be spent, however I appreciate this is just a guess and I havce no idea what money we had or have got now.

This is tough question to answer.  On the surface of it (and using simple calculations) the board have been very prudent and have recouped far more money than they have spent.

This really all boils down to how Grant feels.  Have they gone after the players he wanted and got them?  On the face of it they had bids accepted for Varney and Sharp in the £2m regions however did they ever think they would get them?  I don''t know.