Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

A special day for ALL football fans

Today should be like Christmas Eve for all football fans as we expectantly wait for tomorrows festivities. Whether you''re a Man Utd fan getting ready for your team to defend the Premiership title, a Norwich fan looking forward to seeing our new signings, a Leeds fan trying to work out how you''ll overcome that fifteen point penalty or a Morecambe fan looking forward to your first season since promotion to the Football League, today is a day to dream.

It''s a day to dream about thirty yard screamers, mazy dribbles, and crunching tackles. Centre forwards "leaping like a salmon", midfielders with "a good engine" and "no nonsense" central defenders. Cup runs, promotion pushes and play-off finals. Seven goal thrillers, twenty two man brawls and five-nil drubbings.

Not all of your dreams will come true, maybe none of them will, but don''t let that stop you. The time for doubt and worry is not now. There will be times in the next ten months when you''ll feel let down. Let down by players, managers, referees, linesmen, chairmen and boards of directors but forget about them for today. There will be times when you feel let down by football altogether. By players earning £135,000 a week, by divers and cheaters, by agents and the shady businessmen who circle like vultures around our game.

There will be times when you''ll feel like turning your back on the whole game, but you won''t because you''re a football fan. You''re a fan of this wonderful game of OURS. It''s not "more important than life or death", it is "only a game", but it''s OUR game. So sit back, relax and have a little dream today, because the hard work starts tomorrow.

Peter Grant should read that out to the players in the dressing room tomorrow. He need say nothing else. Other than who''s playing of course.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Today should be like Christmas Eve for all football fans as we expectantly wait for tomorrows festivities. Whether you''re a Man Utd fan getting ready for your team to defend the Premiership title, a Norwich fan looking forward to seeing our new signings, a Leeds fan trying to work out how you''ll overcome that fifteen point penalty or a Morecambe fan looking forward to your first season since promotion to the Football League, today is a day to dream.

It''s a day to dream about thirty yard screamers, mazy dribbles, and crunching tackles. Centre forwards "leaping like a salmon", midfielders with "a good engine" and "no nonsense" central defenders. Cup runs, promotion pushes and play-off finals. Seven goal thrillers, twenty two man brawls and five-nil drubbings.

Not all of your dreams will come true, maybe none of them will, but don''t let that stop you. The time for doubt and worry is not now. There will be times in the next ten months when you''ll feel let down. Let down by players, managers, referees, linesmen, chairmen and boards of directors but forget about them for today. There will be times when you feel let down by football altogether. By players earning £135,000 a week, by divers and cheaters, by agents and the shady businessmen who circle like vultures around our game.

There will be times when you''ll feel like turning your back on the whole game, but you won''t because you''re a football fan. You''re a fan of this wonderful game of OURS. It''s not "more important than life or death", it is "only a game", but it''s OUR game. So sit back, relax and have a little dream today, because the hard work starts tomorrow.

[/quote]

What a totally brilliant post [:)]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

great posts and i agree with all of it..

wheres ebeneezer cluck then?

jas :)

[/quote]

I''m not playing.....again......

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

great posts and i agree with all of it..

wheres ebeneezer cluck then?

jas :)

[/quote]

I''m not playing.....again......

[/quote]

BORING [:P].

You say that, but in the back of yourr bird-like mind, you''re as excited as a child is at their birthday! XD

On Christmas Eve.........I always stared at my stocking on the mantelpiece, knowing full-well that in the morning it would contain the usual over-ripe banana, one aged and soft satsuma, my father''s toe-nail clippings (and various verruca plasters) and a half-eaten walnut.

Santa? PAH!

Shack, what a fantastic post.  Summed it all up for me.  I''m happy again (close season is depressing), this shall be our season, can''t wait for 3 pm!!