Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Preston! What is acceptible?

It''s early days but a good start can work wonders.

Plus, if this Board runs true to form members will be writing us up/off on the basis of the first result.

PNE have been a pain in recent times and have been well organised too.

I fear they might be better organised and prepared than us for this first game  as I don''t think we will see the best Norwich team together, injuries permitting, until Septemeber (as usual).

So, what is a good result?

For me (unless we get beaten by more than two clear goals) I will be disappointed if we fail to score and worried if we fail to create chances but not half as worried or concerned as I would be if our defence lapsed like last season.

What I would find acceptible, even in moderate defeat, is a Norwich team playing like a unit in defence and giving little or nothing away. 0-0 would be fine, or even 1-1. But we have to stop accepting the mediocrity of conceding goals like some punch drunk prize-fighter.

In this respect, we could cope fine without Huckerby if it meant being more solid and I would settle for solidity first and flair as an enhancement to solidity.

4-4-2.

Realistically a draw would be a good result when you take into account Deepdale is not the easiest place to go at anytime let alone first game of the season. Both sides have lost their top scorers from last year so will be looking for someone to step up.

a Draw i think Preston have always been able to play a bit and as mentioned before Deepdale isnt an easy place to go... with it being 3 sided this temr it will be even harder for away sides.

jas :)

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

[quote user="Marty"]6-0 to us[/quote]

Typical sheep mentality setting your sights too low.

[/quote]

my mistake, 7-0 to us

I reckon I''d be happy with a draw... possibly. I guess the performance is all important;

win w/ good performance = delighted.
win w/ poor performance = happy but still worried.
draw w/ good performance = happy.
draw w/ poor performance = worried.
loss w/ good performance = hopeful but irritated.
loss w/ poor performance = angry!

Think Granty will be focused on not conceding, and, with our new strikeforce still settling in, reckon this ones a 0-0 draw-and would be happy with that. But, as ob1 says, the performance aspect is crucial.

I remember when we went up in 81-82, we lost the first game of the season to someone like Rotherham (people with better memories can expand on this, hopefully!) 4-0 and it should all have been doom and gloom, yet the Rotherham manager said, if we played as well all season, we''d go up-and we did.

Similar to the play off season, lost 4-0 at Millwall and everyone was writing us off, it was so woeful (it was, anyone remember?) but we got to Cardiff.

10-12 games in, thats when things start to settle down and the "look" of the season is generally out there-though there are still exceptions, Sunderland last season being one.

A draw would be fine, but a good performance, even a defeat, would be acceptable to me as long as we try hard, thats all I ask. Preston usually start well and fade later so I will keep that in mind.

Marty:

Your avatar image is doing my blood pressure no good at all mate. I''m an old bloke now with a dicky ticker, and seeing a stunner like that does me no favours at all!.

Nurse!!

A point away then work towards 3 at home----the old adage of pinch the 1 pointers awy and secure the wins at home will do for me and you never know what with Prestons current striker injuries we could pinch all three !

Axe sepp blatter......Is how you spell it.

Defeat will be acceptable as long as we win......against Southampton.[:|]

Remember last year?! Everyone was so optimistic after we played well, yet lost at Leeds. They eventually went down and we finished not much higher.

Opening day results are often strange so I don''t think they''re much of an indicator for the season to come.

Having said that, I''d definitely take a draw at Preston on Saturday, would be a decent start considering our early fixtures.

If offered a draw now, I''d ripp your arm off. Huckerby will probably be out & we all know what happens when he doesn''t play. See my signature below!!

At the risk of being labelled an old pessimist the fact that we have not signed at least one central defender fills me with dread. David Marshall seems to fill the Norwich tradition of fine goalkeepers but the only time we do really well is when we''ve got good central defenders. Shackell will come good, eventually, but Mr Doherty is a liability only marginally better than Hughes, why oh why can the fans see our weaknesses not the Manager? Fifty years of supporting City and still the same old deficiencies are apparant!

[quote user="The Legend of Huckerby"]

If offered a draw now, I''d ripp your arm off. Huckerby will probably be out & we all know what happens when he doesn''t play. See my signature below!!

[/quote]

good chance for the lads to prove they can win without him then isnt it.. he wont play for us forever... time for the players to prove that when he does retire we wont miss him and win games without him!

jas :)

You cannot take anything from a one off game. If we fail to score it doesn''t mean that our strike force is doomed from the start. If we concede a few it doesn''t mean that our defence is too leaky. You can''t tell anything from the first game alone ... just hope to pick up as many points as possibe.

OTBC

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]2-0 city. Preston have lost too many key players and havent replaced them. I expect them to struggle this year.[/quote]

Oh and there pre season has been dire from what i can gather add on top the fact they have no strikers i would expect nothing but a win.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]2-0 city. Preston have lost too many key players and havent replaced them. I expect them to struggle this year.[/quote]

Oh and there pre season has been dire from what i can gather add on top the fact they have no strikers i would expect nothing but a win.

[/quote]Hi there, Preston Fan here. Thought I''d pop on the board as were about to meet in the league.Anyway, it''s not so much our stike force that is the issue, as our two first choice strikers are fit (Mellor and Ormerod) and Hawley is available. It''s our lack of defending the lead. We''ve managed to go ahead in quite a few preseasons only for our defence to fall in the second half.I still think we will win 2-1, as Mellor looks better than Nugent in front of the goal and Jones and Nicholls (latest signings) look like good Championship players.good luck Saturday

draws for aways and wins for homes will see us up. given preston have been in the hunt for a few seasons now, i''d settle for a draw, but be mightily satisifed with a win.  symptoms of ''worthyitis'' in our away matches - a dire, no show, with 2 off target efforts first half and one on target 2nd half - is not acceptable, if we are to figure in this league.  hopefully grant has drilled these type of lamentable displays out of the team by now. 

I would just like to see a solid 90 minutes of good football; not world beating football but a good solid display then I can take any result.

I am sick and tired and fed-up of hearing of ''a good first half but no efforts on goal and a no-show for the second half'' or vice versa or

An uninspired first half followed by an all out effort for the last ten minutes of a game.

ALL I AM ASKING FOR IS 90 MINUTES OF GOOD FOOTBALL, NOTHING LESS, OCCASIONALLY A BIT MORE BUT PLEASE OH PLEASE, A FULL 90 MINUTES OF DETERMINED, WELL THOUGHT OUT, TACTICALLY AWARE, CORNER KICKS REACHING THE PENALTY AREA, WELL REHEARSED FREE KICK ROUTINE TYPE FOOTBALL. THATS ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, rant over.

Oh yes, I have forecast 3-1 to us. Ever the optimist.

Win at home and draw away, is usually my mentallity, however to win the championship you''ve still got to nick a few wins away from home [;)]However as with every Norwich game I hope for the best and pray we don''t lose [:D]

Bring on Saturday [:D]

[quote user="Motiv"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

Hi there, Preston Fan here. Thought I''d pop on the board as were about to meet in the league.

Anyway, it''s not so much our stike force that is the issue, as our two first choice strikers are fit (Mellor and Ormerod) and Hawley is available. It''s our lack of defending the lead.

We''ve managed to go ahead in quite a few preseasons only for our defence to fall in the second half.

I still think we will win 2-1, as Mellor looks better than Nugent in front of the goal and Jones and Nicholls (latest signings) look like good Championship players.

good luck Saturday
[/quote]

Well Norwich aren''t exactly awesome at defending either and we have been known to let in some dreadful goals. Could be a high scoring game if both defences are having an off day!

I would be satisfied with a point.

Preston should be no great shakes this season so anything less than a draw will be a disappointment.