Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

I'm sad to see Hughesy go

Yes, Hughesy wasn''t the most gifted of footballers and yes he wasnt going to win us promotion. But still, and i''m not totally sure why i actually am sad to see him go, certainly alot sadder than i was of hearing the departure of safri last week. Hughesy''s character and battling spirit was second to none, if some of our more gifted players had his commitment last season we''d have finished higher. Hughesy also deserves a commendation for the way he battled away after getting so much abuse from fans, when he was hugfely critisiced, made a scapegoat and unfairly singled out.  Lesser people would have given up, and been on the first bus out of norfolk, hughesy stayed, battled on, got better and earned the respect of the fans. Most recognised his effort and commitment, and many fans grew to like him.

Good Luck Andy!

I wish him well. For me I think we paid way over the odds for a guy who was all effort and no skill, the club could have saved itself an awful lot of money by approaching any one of the number of local running clubs for somebody who was extremely fit, could run about a lot and had little skill, prudent my @rse!!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

I wish him well. For me I think we paid way over the odds for a guy who was all effort and no skill, the club could have saved itself an awful lot of money by approaching any one of the number of local running clubs for somebody who was extremely fit, could run about a lot and had little skill, prudent my @rse!!

[/quote]

Harsh... Hughes did have some good games. More so than Etuhu, anyway!

LOH - I think I am being very fair, I wish him well, never abused the guy, could not fault his effort or commitment but could see he was not the most gifted footballer at CR. Even when he was covering at RB during his "purple patch" he did some very strange things.

You heartless b*****d! Do you realise how sad it makes me to read that you''re sad to see Hughes go?

It destroys my faith in human nature.

I am limited as to the number of games I can see each season. I saw 14 last season home and away and whenever I watched Hughes I felt he was all effort but totally useless. He was incapable of reading the game and his positional play was appalling as a result he played us into trouble on far too many occasions. I am sure he was a super person but just did not cut it as a player for Norwich City. But having said all that I wish him well for the future as I do most ex City players. Hopefully I can soon extend the same best wishes to Doherty!  

How can anyone be sad to see Hughes leave? He wasn''t a scapegoat, he was an integral part in one of the worst midfeilds i''ve ever had the misfortune of wasting money to watch. OK, he tried hard but this should be the minimum expected of any player pulling on the yellow shirt. Good riddance.

I think he got a hard deal from the fans, seems like they always need a whipping boy, who will be next?Well I liked his effort and thought the was a good squad member, good luck Andy.

Nothing personal against the guy, but he was rubbish. For his sake, I hope he finds his level and does some good for somebody... but he''d never do or did anything for us!

[quote user="Marty"]I think he got a hard deal from the fans, seems like they always need a whipping boy, who will be next?
[/quote]

Obviously it will be Doherty.

nothing against the guy, his attitude was top notch, unfortunatly his ability at football was not championship standard.

I am happy he has been sold - and in the end he was out of contract at the end of the season, as if another reason was needed to see him gone.

[quote user="Marty"]I think he got a hard deal from the fans, seems like they always need a whipping boy, who will be next?

[/quote]

Answers on a postcard to Gary Doherty [;)]

Selling players like Andy Hughes just underlines the lack of ambition at this club.  The board and Peter Grant should be ashamed of themselves - here comes another season of mid-table mediocrity.  Smudger - you were right all along.

Sorry but I am not in the slightest bit sad he has gone.  He is good bloke and yes no one could fault his effort but he simply was not good enough.  Hughes typifies all that went wrong for under Worthington following relegation and now he has gone that means every single player we bought in the summer following relegation have left.  Hughes, Jarret, Louis-Jean, Thorne and Colin, these were the players brought in to get us promotion back to the Premier League and not one of them had a real meaningful impact on us in the two years.  Quite frankly if you look at those five players, Hughes was the best of the bunch and that really hits home why we have not challenged in the last two seasons.

No doubt Hughes'' name would appear in many peoples worst 11 for City.  Saying that he did not deserve the abuse he took and I hope that dropping down a level will benefit him.  I wish him all the best.

SPOT ON!!!! - (peter grants tartan army)

I''m very sad to see Huuuuughes go as well. Your comments are spot on and I voted Andy for my player of the season last year.

His comitment last season made etuhu at times look like a headless chicken. his shouts to the crowd and never give up attitude was outstanding.

Leeds know this and realise that to get out of the pit they aqre in they will need this kind of detemination and attitude.

Hope you do  well andy, and if Norwich play Leeds in the future (hopefully in the cup and not the league!) then I hope you get the good reception you deserve.

Huuuuuuuuughes!

Cheers All

[quote user="koimatsuba"]

I''m very sad to see Huuuuughes go as well. Your comments are spot on and I voted Andy for my player of the season last year.

His comitment last season made etuhu at times look like a headless chicken. his shouts to the crowd and never give up attitude was outstanding.

Leeds know this and realise that to get out of the pit they aqre in they will need this kind of detemination and attitude.

Hope you do  well andy, and if Norwich play Leeds in the future (hopefully in the cup and not the league!) then I hope you get the good reception you deserve.

Huuuuuuuuughes!

Cheers All

[/quote]

Player of the season?  If "detemination and attitude" are all that''s needed to be POTS then any of the 24,000 in the stands could stand a chance of winning it if Grant let them on the pitch.

[quote user="fuzzyfelt"]

Selling players like Andy Hughes just underlines the lack of ambition at this club.  The board and Peter Grant should be ashamed of themselves - here comes another season of mid-table mediocrity.  Smudger - you were right all along.

[/quote]

wtf r u on about ... half of the people on here are waiting for hughes to leave, moaning at him constantly saying how s**t he is. and then when they all get their wish you say it shows lack of ambition, by selling the least talented player at the club. hughes is not the difference between mid table and playoffs. If your just trying to be funny it didnt work.

i just feel sorry for leeds, didn''t they think that a point deduction was enough?

seriously though, hughes was never a mid-fielder, he came here on the back of playing a few games in that position for reading, he wanted to stay there, coppell said no so worthy offered him it here. thats why for the first season or so he was a target for the boo boys when it was obvious he was out of his depth there, it wasn''t until he played in his proper defensive position last season that he started to play like a half decent player.if he had played there from the start i think he wouldn''t have been the subject of ridicule that he became.  

I think some of you realise the point i''m making with regards to hughes. If you''d read my post clearly you''d see i said that he wasnt good enough to be a 1st choice player in  atop team, but he was a good bloke to have around and to fill in if necessary.

i reiterate that its a shame some of our most technially gifted players didnt show the same attitude as Hughes last season, and it is a shame that hughes isnt blessed with more technical ability. The only way we''ll be succesful thjis season is if, for a change, all 11 of our players on the pitch have hughesy''s attitude.

[quote user="plan b"]

i just feel sorry for leeds, didn''t they think that a point deduction was enough?

seriously though, hughes was never a mid-fielder, he came here on the back of playing a few games in that position for reading, he wanted to stay there, coppell said no so worthy offered him it here. thats why for the first season or so he was a target for the boo boys when it was obvious he was out of his depth there, it wasn''t until he played in his proper defensive position last season that he started to play like a half decent player.if he had played there from the start i think he wouldn''t have been the subject of ridicule that he became.  

[/quote]

not true - he played Right wing mainly for reading, AND he was a target for the boo boys at Reading too.

Just plain not good enough.

[quote user="ipswichrscum"][quote user="fuzzyfelt"]

[/quote]

wtf r u on about ... half of the people on here are waiting for hughes to leave, moaning at him constantly saying how s**t he is. and then when they all get their wish you say it shows lack of ambition, by selling the least talented player at the club. hughes is not the difference between mid table and playoffs. If your just trying to be funny it didnt work.

[/quote]

I''ve got a funny feeling he was being ironic...

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="plan b"]

[/quote]

not true - he played Right wing mainly for reading, AND he was a target for the boo boys at Reading too.

Just plain not good enough.

[/quote]

CJF is right.. My cousins a staunch Reading fan and she tells me Andy hughes wasnt popular among the reading fans purely because he just wasnt up to it.

jas :)

He was on far too much money and to get a reported 250k for him is excellent business (I''d have sold him for 50k/free personally because his wages were far too much for his ability) Having said that, I''m sort of sad to see him go too - a nice bloke who has the mental attributes to be a very good player (determined, high work-rate, team player, hard worker, encourages team mates, etc etc) but unfortunately was put in the body which has little skill.

He''d have been an ok backup player due to versatility (he could play in every position just as badly as the next!) but his ability is sadly lacking.

I think Leeds have done themselves well, Hughes lack of ability won''t be obvious at that level, he''ll run around tackling and getting the rest of the team motivated. Think he''ll do well for them.

Good luck Andy, hope you do well at Leeds and the crowd love you but hopefully Leeds will be relegated again despite your single handed Roy of the Rovers attempt to keep them up.

I am glad hushsey has gone....................from attacking fans to not having the ability at this level of football. he should have gone ages ago.

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="koimatsuba"]

Huuuuuuuuughes!

Cheers All

[/quote]

Player of the season?  If "detemination and attitude" are all that''s needed to be POTS then any of the 24,000 in the stands could stand a chance of winning it if Grant let them on the pitch.

[/quote]

Yes you are right, If I was fit and younger and had the attitude of Hughes on the the pitch then I would be loved by the fans and cheered '' Huuuughes''. He got my vote because of his effort. If he doesn''t have the skill of Huckerby or Dion that doesn''t mean that he shouldn''t get the award.

Every game he came on for in the second half of last season he showed that he wanted to play for NCFC and he wanted to start. Something that Grant  (and the fans) wants in all of his players, not the ''oh well i''ll get paid anyway'' attiude that a lot of players showes far too much last season.

In the end it was my vote, so I can vote for who I want, same as you can, I respect your views but just thought I better reply. Too many posters just jump on the band wagon and say that Hughes is crap etc.... and many haven''t even seen him play.

Good luck at Leeds

Heres to tadys game at Preston, lets hope the ''Huuuughes'' Attitude has rubbed off on some of our new players and we start with a win.

Cheers