Sign in to follow this  
Hcuk

Glory Hunters

Sunday was one of the best matches i have been to..... apart from the idiot who was sat behind me. All match he was chatting to me, he said that he was a devoted fan who had driven from Bournemouth that morning. This all seemed fine, until he said that he had just bought a home shirt. He then wanted me to point out Delia and where she sat, he didn''t know any of the players and he wanted me to tell him the words to ''On the ball City...''

I just think that it''s wrong that people who really should get tickets, ie the REAL fans, cant get any and people like this who only come along as were doing really well. My brother-in-law is a life long fan but doesn''t live nearby but we can never get him a ticket.

Just needed to get that off my chest..

Yep, can''t stand those shirt purchasing, ticket buying morons! Do me a favour, if some bloke wants to come watch Norwich play, then let him. Tell your brother-in-law to get out of bed earlier on box-office opening day. Don''t tell me, he''s in a wheel chair, works nights and lives in Scotland but loves travelling on weekends?

I hope we do not see this idiot again at the match as he also annoyed me as well with his silly question on how many subs were allowed

Agree with the comment about the glory hunters who come say they are life long supporters but only come when Norwich are doing well especially when my son is unable to get ticket who is a life long supporter aswell.

Also agree with the comments that the match on sunday was very good and hopefully will see more.

I agree with Windy on this subject... What gives one fan more right to watch Norwich over another? Lets not become elitist just because Norwich are up at the top of the league... So this guy is new to the game, we were all new to it at one stage, instead of bitching about him, why not offer to educate him in the ways of our fantastic Club, as any nice person would try to do... With levels of success, supporters can sometimes become a little too elitist and snobby, not something I''d associate with such a friendly and family-orientated club like ours... Who cares if a supporter has been a fan for 5 minutes of 50 years, surely they deserve the respect of supporting our great club..?

I would like to add Worthy''s Words Of Wisdom to the debate:
"we''ve won nothing yet"
Are they really glory hunters, at this stage of proceedings? I know as much as anyone how frustrating it can be not to be able to get tickets - last year, I was a season ticket holder, but as I had moved away (to Crewe) and wasn''t able to get across to many matches, I had to give it up this season. Thanks to the club''s idea of guaranteeing members 3 matches while we only had 3 stands, that''s how many home games I''ve been to, otherwise, I stand very little chance - trying to get through to the box office and obtain tickets is a nightmare! I just comfort myself with the odd away game, but even they are becoming hard to get tickets for, but I will in no way criticise anyone who is prepared to pay good money to watch Norwich.

Templeton: As my girlf lives in Stoke, I often have to go through Crewe on the train, if you ever fancy meeting up for a bevvy and a chat, let me know... Oh and I''ll hopefully be there for the last game of the season, to see the boys in action...

If you think someone''s a glory hunter, just because they come and watch a game in the first division, with a quarter of the season still to go, then just wait until next year if we get promoted. There''s always going to be some people picking up tickets who haven''t been to see the city in a while, but i guarantee you, next season, if we''re up, we''re going to have every tom, dick and harry trying to get a ticket. And if the downside of that is that i can''t always get a ticket at home or away matches, so be it. the upside however, increased revenue, sell-out home and away, more merchandise sales, more income to invest in the club and secure the long-term stabilty and success of our beloved city. well, i know which i''d prefer. Bring on the glory hunters. And their virgin city wallets.

The more the merrier as far as I''m concerned. I hate elitism.Why not chat to this guy and get to know a new supporter? Some welcome party you are mate. I also hate all this bullshit about REAL fans and glory hunters.

Everyone who has been a season ticket holder over the past few years, ie around 12000 fans, will probably still hold one now. So who is missing out exactly? The ground has been expanded and it''s brought back long lost supports and new ones. The recent success of the team mean more people have upgraded to season tickets to guarantee a seat. Now we''ve got over 18,000 season ticket holders. Great! More fans = better atmosphere, more money for the team, better players & more likely to see Premiership footy.

dont knock glory hunters
glory hunters make good clubs great.......where would man utd be without glory hunters.
the moral of this post is, if people want to put money into our club, let them cos it can only make norwich better.
anyway, you never know, with time some of them may become "die hard" fans like the rest of us

This guy is the sort of bloke whos on the waiting list for a new season ticket... along with my girlfriend who is a member and has been going to watch Norwich since early last year... before we were good.

And a man like that may win a ticket over here, just so he can watch Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea next season.

Disgusting

have to agree with what your saying,i have''nt been to carrow Road for bloody ages,but consider myself a true supporter through thick and thin,o.k i don''t go to many matches(none the last 3/4 years) but i try to catch up with whats happening on here and read the local rag.......my point being that i''d like to feel welcome when i can afford or have the time to go to Carrow Rd,so i say if the guy''s willing to go and watch norwich play,then good luck to him.it means theres another supporter who likes the Canaries,more money in the coffers and one less fan who supports Man U or the binners!!!

"Glory hunters stopping the real fans getting tickets"

What are you talking about!!!! Real supporters already have tickets! Season tickets. Glory supporters are only stopping other glory supporters getting tickets.

Real fans already have tickets, so the spare tickets are only going to go to glory hunters. Wake up. If you haven''t been to the club for 3/4 years, but suddenly find a few spare pounds now we''re top, that makes you a glory hunter. If you go regularly - "I went to see Norwich play Bayern Munich AND Milan!" That makes you a glory supporter.

If you want to see Norwich play the bottom team when we are mid table with nothing to play for, then you are a true supporter!

Glory Hunters are as welcome as any other casual ticket buyer, as long as you pay cash!!

There''s nothing wrong with new supporters coming to watch us play. People shouldn''t moan that ''i''ve been a supporter all my life, how come he gets a ticket and not me etc..'' - if you have the commitment, you''ll be rewarded with the ticket. I got my season ticket for the last 3 years because I turned up and watched us play. It doesn''t matter who wants to come and watch this club.
One thing that is good is how the New Stand had completely changed our support. At last, the ''do nothing, say nothings'' of the old South Stand have gone, and I for one have been really proud to see how vibrant the supporters in that stand now are, particularly in the section next to the away fans. Good on yer, it''s made a real difference to the atmosphere.

Having been there in the dark days of Chase when attendances dropped to the 10K, 11K mark I am happy to see a full ground. We all had to go to our first match, mine when I was 7 some 30 odd years ago, some go later in life for one reason or another (maybe they move into the area). Some true supporters move away but go when they can. We all have different issues and motivations.

Just remember this: for whatever reason a chap (or chapess) goes to a game in the first place, once he''s there he may well go again and then again. He may become a "true supporter".

Those who wish to stop people going for the first time to see what all the fuss is about would have our attendances stuck in the mid to high teens. How on earth are we supposed to get a higher regular support if new people don''t come and join our faith?

If I was a glory hunter I''d probably go to Highbury or Stamford Bridge. I am not sure I would see too much glory in a club just about to get back to where they belong but still a world away from the Champions League.

If everybody living in Norwich wanted to go to the next home game, around 140,000 people would be locked out. Should we build the biggest stadium in the world to allow for this rather unlikely event?

Anyone who classes themselves as a supporter will have had a season ticket for years.I work in the North East just outside Newcastle and get home for every home game and 95% of the away games.If you havent got a ticket i say where were you when we were s**t?

i dont have a season ticket blue hater,but i went to matches ''when we were sh*t''
obvioulsy i was just jumping on the bandwagon for the away game at bristol city,mus thave been 1999 and they were already down,we had nothing to play for,and we lost 1-0 in a shocking game
come on blue hater,call me a glory hunter now

Get real everyone. Would you rather have a ground half full of ''real'' supporters or a ground packed to the rafters of a mixture of supporters. Who cares where they come from or how often, they are paying good money and adding to the atmosphere, these are the season ticket holders of the future.

And you don''t have to be a season ticket holder to be a true supporter, you don''t even have to go to the matches. I know people who have religiously followed city home and away for years - via Radio Norfolk, whose to say that they are any less a supporter than those of us who do attend every game.

The reason we have so called glory hunters is because we are being successful - let''s enjoy it while it lasts.

OTBC

I can''t believe people are already complaining that new fans are interested in our club! I know it must be frustrating not to be able to get a ticket, but the more fans we can recruit, the better in my opinion. As with many of the posters above, I''d rather see a full house at Carrow Road every game and have more people buying the club''s merchandise than to have 12-14,000 ''real'' supporters dispersed around the ground. We need to welcome new fans. Even if they have only started coming because we are doing well and playing good football. If they enjoy the experience then they will get hooked and want to see the team more regularly, just like it happened for the rest of us. Supporting Norwich City isn''t something we are born with; we have developed our affinity for a variety of reasons and this new man should be given a chance to develop his. Nobody has more right than another to watch the team play. If this guy''s travelled from Bornemouth then he can''t be expected to purchase a season ticket and attend every game, as he may not be able to afford the time or money to do so. Likewise, I can''t get to Carrow Road very often, but attend the away games that are within reasonable travelling distance for me and I love the club and team as much as anybody else. Until the club''s seats outnumber demand then some people are going to miss out. This guy was lucky enough to get a ticket on this occasion; perhaps next time it will be somebody else.

I think this is all a bit unfair actually, especially the first post.

As a student and before that in full time education I only managed to get to Norwich when I had saved up about £80 to get train fare and ticket. It still takes a while for me to get enough cash together. I''ve not been to many games this season (Forest, Derby, Burnley, Coventy) because of the prices and time involved.

However it''s unfair and insulting to say I''m not a real fan because I haven''t got a season ticket. If I had a seson ticket it would go to waste as I cannot get to all the game. I''ve invested in both the share schemes though.

And from a family of Wolves / Fulham fans I was the only one who supported Norwich. As a kid who never got to go to see my team except when they played Oxford and Swindon I''m glad I didn''t sit next to someone like you who looked down his nose at me as I asked him to explain the lyrics of our songs.

i''ve been quite defensive of the "glory hunters" because we need to fill the ground - we only have a hardcore of about 12 thousand.

However, i notice we''ve presold 14,000 season tickets as at the first deadline. Are we assuming that the other 4000 current season ticket holders are waiting to see if we get up before renewing. personally it think the deadlines are too relaxed.

I''ve been coming for years but i want to move from the river end to the barclay (mainly because it''s no longer an issue for me for me and the kids to sit in the family end). But I am having to wait until after 31 May after the final deadline. I''ve been told "cat in hells chance" anyway.

Mr Sparkle not getting at u here but let me explain my season ticket problem. I had a season ticket from 95 to last season i then couldnt afford all the money in one go so didnt renew this season but became a member and bought tickets individually because that was how i could afford it. I then bought an 8 game season ticket from my xmas money(i am 16 years old) i now cant yet afford 2 pay 4 next seasons ticket so am waiting for the may deadline when i then will have enough wages saved up from my part time work i do at a supermarket. This is the only money i get and i can guarentee u that altho i have yet to renew i will be at every home game(and most away) next season weather it be prem div1 or conference. I see myself as one of the 12000 or so hardcore fans even tho i have yet to renew and i am sure so are a lot of the other 4000.

12,000 hardcore supporters?! When our chairman was probably the most hated person in East Anglia then maybe, but our `hardcore support` has been trickling back season by season since then. The season Worthy took over we were nearly relegated and the average crowd was over 16,000 i believe.

Someone on WOTB worked out that our post-war average attendance is about 17,500 (higher than the ipswich`s!). The club is now seen as being worthy of support in every way so it is no suprise to see the crowds flocking back from all corners of its huge catchment area.

i meant regular season ticket holders - and this is bourne out by the number presold as at the first deadline (allowing an increase for those willing to take the "risk" that we will be up next season)

What are "Glory Hunters"? I am originally from the North East, and I first ventured to Carrow Road in 88 to watch Newcastle V Norwich [Brazilian Mirandina''s first game for the Magpie''s] I stood in the Barclay and thoroughly enjoyed the game and the good natured banter with the Norwich fans. Surprisingly a few months later, I had the very good fortune to move to Norwich with my work. I love watching football [especially when I stopped playing] so I became a member and have followed the yellow''s ever since. What I''m getting at, is that I appreciate and sympathise with the fans frustration of being denied access to see their beloved canaries in action because of the shortage of tickets but....Times have changed, even when we played the likes of Liverpool in the early 90s, I could arrive at the ground 15mins before kick-off without membership, pay at the turnstile and in I go.

Obviously a lot different now for all sorts of reasons, hooliganism thankfully all but disappeared, hype, corporate involvement, a more user "family" friendly environment and the present and hopefully continuing success of NCFC to name but a few. It was 30.000 fans who travelled to the Millenium Stadium 2 seasons ago, and I reckon a large percentage of them are now regular attendee''s at Carrow Rd. Not a bad thing in my eyes, success breeds success! Delia and Co, have done so much for this Club and are continuing to do so. But it is us the Fans, who are the Club! and without us we would just be a mediocre side languishing mid-table in the 1st div. C''mon! we aren''t "Glory Hunters", whether you have just started supporting the Club or have flown here from the "Nest" we are all in it together!

Glory Hunters or Glory Seekers? Nope! Just Fans from all walks of life, its the way forward OK........OTBC

this subject keeps appearing and nothing is going to please everyone is it, not with a ground, which at present isn''t big enough to hold everyone who wants to watch the team

to those who say we should all have season tickets, you must have money to burn. My son has a season ticket, but works most saturdays, so he shares it with my daughter who works in the london area - do you expect both of them to buy a season ticket and only realistically go to perhaps 10 games a season each, they both have jobs and lives apart from football as do many other people

i work mon - friday out of choice and live in norwich so have a season ticket, but i don''t consider myself any better than someone who can only get down 2-3 times a season, come on, why are some of you slatting people who want to support the team, if only we could accommodate everyone, but life isn''t always perfect is it?

I know many people who live around the country - blackpool, birmingham, york, leicester and worthing - only one of these has a season ticket, so tell me the others should too, when they won''t see every game due to family and work commitments, it is easy for those still living at home with parents, or those families who can afford four or five tickets, but for everyone else, choices have to be made - not going to every game doesn''t make you any less of a fan, it sometimes makes you more passionate - so stop slatting the people who, for whatever reason, don''t have a season ticket and for god''s sake, let''s be happy we are doing so well and the ground is full

Good points from Tilt, Mello Yello and gazzathegreat.

I now live 160 miles from Carrow Road. I work most Saturdays. I get told when I''m needed two weeks beforehand so at the moment the matches are sold out before I know if I can get there. I can''t get to an evening match in time either.

So now I pick among the scraps of away games and opportunistic home games.

I''ve followed City for 30 years.

I''ve been to around 750 games, home and away.

I can''t get to hardly a single home game now.

I''m not bitter, in fact its great. Frustrating yes, but I am so proud of the fact that my team is almost back to where it belongs playing to full houses and getting media attention.

I don''t care why they are there, but anyone sitting in Carrow Road supporting my team has my support and I hope they give the team theirs.

So lets grow up and celebrate the fact that for the first time in years demand exceeds supply and we are part of a good thing and in the limelight like we haven''t ben for 10 years. Enjoy.