Sign in to follow this  
Carrow89

RIPswich

So farewell then the ''mighty'' town, once the champions of europe, world cup winners three times in one season and the Queen Mum''s favourite team - she was a regular in the north stand so I''m told. A close season that was dominated by the endless squeaking of your fans as they eargerly anticipated the spending the windfall from the sale of Darren Bent. But it was not to be.

The money was to be paid in instalments and it would have to go to shoring up the your club''s ever growing debts (heaven forbid that Charlton should do an ipswich, go belly up and stuff you for the rest !). Even the payout from the League has been swallowed up, as has the money from the sale of Price.

The much trumpeted arrival of the two jug eared old Evertonians failed - perhaps you had hoped to spray their heads silver and stick them in your much vaunted trophy room, I don''t know. Might be all thats ''cup shaped'' that''s going in there for a while. So an aged keeper, a collapsing, third rate spaniard and a returning ''has been'' is all you have to show for nigh on £2m of extra income. Even their wages have been more than covered by departures from poorman road, so the debt is still taking anything that is grabable.

On a brighter note saturday''s game could see the binners missing their ''star'' striker. Someone who misses games as much as he misses goals but appears unable to miss an elderly cyclist. Nothing new there as quite a few dodgy drivers have turned out for our morally bankrupt neighbours. If it''s not firing ball bearings at kids it''s helping themselves to money of the changing rooms. But then, a club that happily stiffs local traders is hardly likely to be setting any standards of decency.

And it was with that it mind that the old red faced charlatan stuck his hand up in support of Leeds Utd today. Not so much, I would suggest, out of any sense of moral duty or questionable point of principle but as a sordid expression of self interest (a self interest that conveniently chose to ignore the events at Elland Road last May when Leeds Utd fans attacked his club''s fans).

No, this was trying to ensure that things wouldn''t be so tough for future clubs going into administration. Why it would affect his club if that was the case is any one''s guess. Perhaps things aren''t quite as safe as the suffolk dimwits would like us to think. Who knows, time will tell.

But if I was a betting man I would put my money on something a bit closer to home. The prospects for Ronnie Biggs perhaps - at least he holds the moral high ground in any debate between him and the Great Trade Robbers down south.

C''mon you Greens

Will you guys kindly stop equating all things Suffolk with that heap of festering ? 40 odd miles down the road from the finest City on earth. I was born and bred in North Suffolk and until 1960 there was not an Ipswich fan in site, suddenly they appeared after the Chapionship win a bit like Man U fans after ''58. In North Suffolk the yellow and green still outnumbers the blue and white, perhaps the sales of the Pink''un compared with that of the Green''un would give some indication of the ratio!.

[quote user="FUEL ROX"]thats why she had yellow teeth[/quote]

Ahahahaahah. Little bit of Wotb humour sneaking its way onto the Pinkun. Good work Fuel

I think that had the Queen Mum''s support been determined by her teeth colour she would have been a snooker fan instead. Yep, I''m well aware that much of north suffolk is City supporting. The binners tend to draw more of their support south of the town than from the north of it. Still yet to hear a reasonable explanation from his lordship as to why he voted in favour of Leeds yesterday. Birds of a feather I suppose..With relegation a distinct possibility for our third world neighbours pulling the plug on their creditors would have seemed about their only salvation.  Fifteen point penalty might have blocked that route for them.Oh dear.

Not sure we have anything much to be cocky about. Poor as Ipswich seem, they have a cunning knack of finishing above us...

And it was with that it mind that the old red faced charlatan stuck his hand up in support of Leeds Utd today. Not so much, I would suggest, out of any sense of moral duty or questionable point of principle but as a sordid expression of self interest (a self interest that conveniently chose to ignore the events at Elland Road last May when Leeds Utd fans attacked his club''s fans).

No, this was trying to ensure that things wouldn''t be so tough for future clubs going into administration. Why it would affect his club if that was the case is any one''s guess. Perhaps things aren''t quite as safe as the suffolk dimwits would like us to think. Who knows, time will tell.

Ralph,

If you had simply restricted your post to the Sheepshanks bit (above) then fine. Unfortunately you couldn''t help but lower yourself to their level and the rest of the post is just a tirade of anti binner drivel that does yourself, Norwich fans generally, our club or our city absolutely no favours. Having worked in Suffolk for several years recently I know full well that some of the locals take any and every opportunity to attack anything with a possible Norwich / Norfolk link. Their fans always seem more anti Norwich obsessed than the reverse situation (even when they were sailing high in the Premiership that season). I thought that we were a little above that but obviously not if your post is reflective of general Canary feeling.

I have no problems in taking a pot at ITFC but for gods sake lets get our priorities right and get the better of them where it really matters - ON THE PITCH - and despite their well documented economic problems this does seem beyond us (apart from occasional seasons). Even last season when we were generally woeful they STILL managed to finish above us! I would prefer us to keep our powder dry until we can PROVE we are better than them on the park and, at the moment, I see no evidence that we will achieve that anytime soon. Continue with your tirade if you wish but you could well be left with egg on your face big time. There have been many false dawns in our history and many insinuations that ....''Ipswich are finished'' etc. that I prefer to take what I think is a more principled and realistic position.  

Finally, we really should be VERY careful about poking fun at their lack of money. We are in almost as much debt as them but I forgot, ours is.....''long term, prudent and perfectly manageble''! Of course it is (NOT!). If the Turners had not come in you would have begun to see the first significant signs of the pressure that the debt is putting on our cashflow. Would we have signed all those 8 players without the cushion of the Turner money? Er No. Norwich City Football Club in 1957, 1984, 1996 and since is hardly a shining example of financial capability is it?

I await all the tired, boring and predictable.....''binner lover, binner wind up, binner in disguise'' etc. etc. replies that will do you no good at all. I am Canary through and through so go on ''Make my Day''!!       

Some people obviously don''t enjoy slagging the scum, but I enjoyed it. They are going down the pan even more so than us. So they finished higher than us last season, most people did, but we are currently a far more attractive prospect in my opinion and, call it blind optimism, but I''m, certain we''ll have them hoome and awy this year.

OTBC!

Down Town!

Oooooh, get her !Not sure why you think I would consider you a binner. Your somewhat spirited, if flawed, defence of them (and an attack upon us) might suggest to others that your allegiance lies well away from Carrow Road but not me.Nice to see though that you have kept with the usual tradition of making up something then arguing against that rather than any answering of the points raised. " I thought that we were a little above that but obviously not if your post is reflective of general Canary feeling." Odd that you should not be aware of general Canary feeling given your claim of being a ''canary'', rather relying on one tongue in cheek posting.As to the debt stuff it also seems odd that you sing from the same hymn sheet as the binners. City''s (or should I say the Canary) debt is no where near the binners. City are meeting the repayments and nothing suggests otherwise whereas the con artists down the A140 have had to go cap in hand to their creditors asking for pity. That after defaulting on previous contracts and screwing local suppliers.The dates you mention are no more than the fluctuations that beset any ''business'' (take a look at the stock market today). Far, far different from being in existence through the conning of local businesses. As ther original post was a light hearted dig at our terminally, pompous neighbours and NOT a comment on the club''s respective playing prospects I shall leave the rest of the board to decide where your reply fits in with that dig - and whether the binners really are pompous, self important, humourless gits.

Norwich and Ipswich have so much in common and I personally find the contrived abuse a little sad.

I don''t hate Ipswich or Ipswich people. I enjoy the derbies although I do grossly dislike those who call themselves Ipswich supporters who have some unfounded pathological hatred of Norwich. I recall having to deal with three mature men supporting Ipswich threatening a youngster from Norwich over his scarf, they were REALLY brave....not!

I would like to see the local football publications or even the Clubs form an association of supporters of both Clubs who want to enjoy the derbies together in a mood of mutual respect.

It makes me no less of a Norwich fan to have these views and to be honest the Xmas ''top of the league win at Portman Road'' aside our Premiership home win against Manchester United gave me more joy than a win against Town because of what United stand for.

If local people support their local Club, be it Ipswich or anyone else then good luck to them.

This sense of crossing the Waveney and being on enemy ground is utter cr@p; and I would take the same stance if someone in Suffolk tried to take the same attitude with me.

I thought the original post had a lot of good and clever humour in it, shame it and subsequent replies occasionally drifted into bad taste.

Ah Ralph!

I knew you couldn''t resist the bait. Anway I do agree with some of your points so I''ll try and be brief and avoid unecessary sarcasm.

• Debt - I agree that the binner debt is bigger but I''m not sure that we are managing it as well as many people clearly believe. Yes we may be meeting the AXA repayments but the fact is that our overall debt continues to grow and where would we have been this summer without the Turner money?
  • ''defence of them'' - OK it may look like that but my point was to try and avoid what I consider to be petty point scoring about firing air guns and going through peoples pockets in the changing rooms and that sort of stuff. I would much rather we could have some justification to being better than them by proving it on the pitch - I''m sure you agree that the game of football is what it''s all about at the end of the day?
  • You talk about the ''conning of local business'' etc. and, again, that basically has some truth as we know that non football creditors got a raw deal from their administration. But surely we would do EXACTLY the same - you know how Doomcaster pays the ''we do it by the book'' stance, would we pay more than we absolutely HAD to in the same scenario? I think not. Leeds did similar to West Yorks police and StJohns ambulance by all accounts.
  •  ''pompous and self important''- with you on that one 100% and that is personified of course by Sheepshanks.

Finally, I think everyone has to admit (reluctantly and me included) but they have done incredibly well on the field over recent years when you think of all the players sold and who have been replaced on as shoestring. Compared with them Worthy spent a fortune. 

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]

So an aged keeper, a collapsing, third rate spaniard and a returning ''has been'' is all you have to show for nigh on £2m of extra income.

[/quote]

I heard they were laughing at us for signing an average keeper, a third-rate czech and a returning ''has been'' striker with our income? Well, if it makes them feel better....

I have no problems in taking a pot at ITFC but for gods sake lets get our priorities right and get the better of them where it really matters

What do you mean priorities? You make it sound like disliking Ipswich will have a detrimental effect on Norwich. It quite obviously will not. Do you really think that if we all forget about Ipswich, Norwich will get promoted or something. I don''t think my dislike for Ipswich in any way affects my support for Norwich.

I really cannot stand killjoys that want me to "love thy neighbour". As far as I''m concerned this PC mad world has gone too far already.

I have friends who support Ipswich and I went out with one last night, it doesn''t affect how I feel about their club.

Come to think of it I am starting to dislike bleeding hearts more than Ipswich.

Go and stick your flowers in someone elses gun.

[quote user="shropshire-lad"]Will you guys kindly stop equating all things Suffolk with that heap of festering ? 40 odd miles down the road from the finest City on earth. I was born and bred in North Suffolk and until 1960 there was not an Ipswich fan in site, suddenly they appeared after the Chapionship win a bit like Man U fans after ''58. In North Suffolk the yellow and green still outnumbers the blue and white, perhaps the sales of the Pink''un compared with that of the Green''un would give some indication of the ratio!.[/quote]

I spent the first 5 years of my life in Lowestoft and know plenty of City fans from that area. At the end of the day pretty much everyone in North Suffolk sees Norwich as their "centre" for shopping/a night out etc. so are going to have a natural affinity with the place. Why on earth would they go to ipswich?

I think the "Suffolk sc*m" label is more for convenience than anything else. It wouldn`t suprise me if 20% or more of City`s support has its roots in Suffolk.

Blimey you have got it bad. Posting up a reply that uses bullet points to defend the binners (and attack us, come to that). Sadly as with any binner bleat it is full of the usual vacuous old tosh. Where would we be without the Turner money. I don''t know, nor do you. What I do know is that they felt that involvement with City was a worthy and safe option. Unlike the poor old binner who nobody wants to touch with a bargepole. Even the binner ''yoofs'' saw their sponsor go belly up. The north stand remains unsponsored and the team coach had to be flogged off along with sacking the kitman. Mind you the chairman got his fat bonus so all is well in the banana republic that is binland.There is not ''some basic truth'' in the binners conning local traders any more that there is ''some basic truth'' in today being saturday. It is absolute.And no, we would not do the same. Condonning the binners disgraceful activities on the basis that Leeds Utd did likewise explains much about the rest of your case for the binners. Does also explain the actions of sheepshanks in defending Leeds Utd as well.  Not conning others and working within the budget might explain why our wage bill was well below the binners, might also explain why we have not signed the players some hoped for.  Done well on the back of robbing others. How laudable.So are we better than them ? That''s another debate (though in your rather desperate wish to defend them, I have apparently stated that).What was posted was a light hearted poke at the binner''s pompous, self importance. And if there was any doubt, up pops someone to prove the point,Gawd bless ya guv, innit.

The much quoted ''binner''s pompous, self importance'' is the factor which most Canary supporters dislike about our near neighbours and Mr Sheepshank does very little to discourage this opinion. Who said ITFC were the financial role model for smaller clubs and that Ipswich were everybodys second favourite club ? Then again, under Joe Royle, did any team ever score a legal goal against the town ?

Their situation is not helped by their local rag that somehow came up with the classic that Ipswich are better than Norwich, because unlike the Canaries, they do not own their ground. I suppose in two years time Teddy Sheringham will sign for them because he supported them as a boy.

''PC mad world has gone too far already'' - I agree 100% but what has that got to do with my first post on this subject? Did I say I liked Ipswich!! Read the post again and then my second one.

You really don''t know whatn I mean by ''priorities''! How strange - it means beating them on the pitch, playing better than them and being more succesful. Don''t you want that as well? Presumably you would prefer to keep up this ....''we''ve got more money than you'' charade. Don''t think many will agree with you if we trudge away from Carra Rd in November if they have beaten us.

''love thy neighbour'' - you really don''t see do you. I remember jumping up and down and running round the room shouting a few years ago when ITFC lost in the play off matches - WHY? Because it was about FOOTBALL!    

Keep digging Ralph.

You don''t know where we would be without the Turner money? Strange, Neil Doncaster has made it very clear that we would have HAD to sell players. I really am surprised you missed that very basic point.

As for ...''conning'' and ''robbing'' you clearly have the facts don''t you Ralph so I submit to your obvious superior knowledge on the subject of all things Ipswich Town. Are you sure it might not just have been a case of being unable to pay bills and then scrambling together a deal that looked after your own interests first? Definitely not morally right I agree with you there, but did it constitute ''conning'' or ''robbing''? Lets just hope and pray we never fall into administration that''s all I can say.       

I''m originally from North Suffolk and City have always been my team along with many others I know from that area. It always winds me up when people refer to the enemy from south of the Waveney - there are many supporters of the yellow and green south of the border, along with many Town (sounds weedy compared with CITY!) fans north of the border in places like Diss and Thetford. It''s the City of Norwich we have the affinity with, and hence the football team, as Norwich is closer to North Suffolk than Ipswich. 

I was brought up in Beccles and despite the success Ipswich had in 1978 and the early 80s it was, and still remains a NCFC town.  Likewise Lowestoft and other border towns on the River Waveney.  True, there are of course some Ipswich supporters, I know some and my kids have friends who support them.  Largely we have a healthy respect for each other and swop good natured banter when we meet. 

I have been asked repeatedly by some people in Suffolk (not necessarily Ipswich fans) why I don''t support them as I am from Suffolk?  I just answer, first of all my dad took me to Carrow Road instead of Portman Road (good choice dad!), and secondly it''s 18 miles to Norwich, and 40 to Ipswich, so who is my local team?

During my lifetime I suppose it''s true to say they have won more, but hey, I am so glad to be a Norwich fan, I don''t hate them all per se, I have met some really unpleasant Ipswich fans in my time - but then I have met some not so nice Norwich fans too.

Suffolk is NOT full of Ipswich fans, as I am sure there are some Ipswich fans in Norfolk (I haven''t seen many in Norwich, but they must exist somewhere?). 

On the subject of the "collapsing Spaniard" I see it took him 2 whole minutes of the new season before he fell over in the penalty box, he must be gettting slow in his old age!!....Not one to agree with Mr Wright but I took his comments as tongue in cheek and I share his distate for the way Ippo treated local businesses, the fact they got away with going into administration and (if true) the fact they supported Leeds Utd in their attempt to stop the rules on administration applying to them.

I see they RIPped in 4 yesterday.

As I said before. I don''t particularly mind if they win the league this year - provided that we finish second.

OTBC

Perhaps our gloating at the demise of Ipswich was a little premature, as i have just seen them play football of a quality we can only dream about !

There strikeforce of Lee, Walters and Conaugo cost 150,000 pounds and looked far more potent than our 2 million strikers.

It doesn''t seem to matter who they sell, Ipswich always seem to put together a team that plays good football ( unlike Norwich ).

I think it will be a miracle if we get anything from them home or away, and fear we will be at opposite ends of the table come May. 

[quote user="Thetford Dave"]

Perhaps our gloating at the demise of Ipswich was a little premature, as i have just seen them play football of a quality we can only dream about !

There strikeforce of Lee, Walters and Conaugo cost 150,000 pounds and looked far more potent than our 2 million strikers.

It doesn''t seem to matter who they sell, Ipswich always seem to put together a team that plays good football ( unlike Norwich ).

I think it will be a miracle if we get anything from them home or away, and fear we will be at opposite ends of the table come May. 

[/quote]i posted a thread about this too - the binners should be dodging about the bottom 5, given their finances, but they always seem to get a passing side out, who at least play football and mostly give entertainment.  we''ve been treated to 3 years of sh*te and an off the pitch demo''s and crisis - and then a new manager, some pre-season hope, and then guess what, another crisis torn, horror, relegation type display at wolves yesterday.  city fans deserve more.