Sign in to follow this  
chicken

New Players for next year . . . . . .

Ok I know I am looking forward a little but I spotted this on another website and thought it may be interesting;

"Alex McLeish has begun the clear-out at Rangers - with Nuno Capucho, Emerson and Christian Nerlinger the first to be told they have no futures.

The de Boer twins, Frank and Ronald, are also out of contract and it now looks unlikely that they will be offered new deals."

I defenitely think the De Boer twins have quality and may just be what is needed. Are there any other players that people think would be a good bet for city?

I see Arsenal are looking to off load Jermaine Pennant. I really rate the player but I think the current crop of mid table Prem clubs (Man City, Birmingham, Charlton etc) would stand a much better chance. I think we should trawl the young/p***ed off Chelsea players who aren''t getting a game, even for loans. Huth, Cole, Petit etc

The players I would like are

Defence Leeroy Primus (Pompey)

Midfield Jermaine Pennant (Arsenal), Petit (Chelsea), Berger (pompey)

Striker Crouchy (Villa)

Obviously this all depends on promotion. I''m not sure if this is aiming too high?? (not promotion these players)

Iwan i can see where youre coming from but IF we were to go up i believe we might be better off investing in younger hungrier players who are straining at the leash to play prem football ie)Reid,Dawson...Forest Ashton Crewe etc etc that way we could afford them and keep them or sell at a profit if the big boys came calling.Much as i dont like it thats the way it is.By the way Primus was player of the year for Ports last season and is a demi God there and i beleive has just earned a contract extension but an excellent choice.In closing i would like to congratulate all the team this year that have continued to improve both in fitness and ability but most of all team spirit and you cannot buy that.

Tweety pie - agree entirely. Was going to post something earlier about not wanting "over-the-hill" players, and by that I meant over 30''s looking for a prem payout.

I think we need young, forward thinking players that would be prepared to go down with us and come back up with us should that happen. And MAYBE one or two old-heads that have the experience to help us, much as Huckerby is now.

im know im going to get slated for this but what the hell
darren bent would be a excelent addition to the side i believe
hes just a good a ball winner as iwan and has a turn of pace as well

Got to agree with Iwan and tweetie. I''m at uni down at Portsmouth and Linvoy Primus has been immence this season. He has been their most improved player by a mile. I have to confess this is from local news, television and supporters i''ve spoken to. I haven''t seen them in the flesh. I really think Dean Ashton would do a job for us too. I know people will moan because he hasn''t got any Premiership experience but he obviously has talent. Look at some of the top scorers in the 1st Division: Earnshaw, Ashton and Blake. They all play for very mediocre clubs who don''t score many goals. Yet they have scored a sackful. I know they haven''t got Prem experience but all are creative. I''m a big fan of Blake and I''m sure we could prise him away from Burnley for not a huge amount of cash.

If we went up, I think Crouchy would come back if we wanted him (and could afford him), and lets be honest, Iwan''s not going to be able to cut it again in the Premiership.

What about Kents, he''s hardly had a game for Southampton, and has been training with Premiership players week in week out. We could snap him up again.

In:Pennant Out: Abbey
Dawson and Reid Easton
Petit and Huth
Keown

I know that those signings are unrealistic but you can but dream, also think we need a target man to partner Hucks because don''t think Svensson is good enough.

I believe that most Pompey fans at this time last year believed that Linvoy Primus would be one of the first players to be moved on when they won promotion. He''s not the best on the ball, but he looks like a really solid defender and has done much better than some of their foreign imports, becoming a fans'' favourite this term. Perhaps we can learn something from this, and, IF the great day comes, give the first opportunities to make an impression on the Prem. to those players who were good enough to get us there.
Still wouldn''t mind having Reid and Dawson, though.

Spot on. It''s a nightmare.

And Kenton? Purleeeze. The guy couldn''t wait to get away from us, I wouldn''t be happy about him turning up again saying sorry.

Agree with you on Kents - he walked away at the first opportunity so leave him out of it. Keown is far too old although he was one of the most under-rated defenders in England - another of those players you hate in opposing teams but love in your own - just simply past it now.

Petit does fall into the taking it easy category but is the TYPE of player that would truly strengthen our squad if also depleting our bank balance.

IF and its a big IF we do get promoted then we will need quite a few players with a mix of seasoned pro''s on a 1 yr contract and talented youngster like Andy Reid and dawson, although personally I think that Dawson is one of the most over rated players in the league and significantly inferior to Shackell - any purchases must be better than what we already have and I dont think Dawson is.

If we can get Crouch at a reasonable fee then I would, otherwise the mix of Sven, Hux and Mackenzie with Jarvis and Henderson should be OK The only other striker I would look at, who could be an investment, would be Darren Bent,who looks far too good for a very average binners team and who should be available at a bargain price once the summer sales starts at portaloo road.

I would focus on getting defensive cover and buying options in midfield. The likes of Huth on a season loan would be superb and I would like to think we could uncover some gems like Sam Allardyce has for Bolton on a similar basis.

As far other players we have seen this year I have always rated Richie Chaplow at burnley who is a future star, Koumas who is too good for the baggies, possibly Robbie Blake who has proven himself in the premier.

OTBC

I am out on my own but to me it doesnt look like we need wholesale changes if we get promoted.
Yes we need a bigger squad.
I am not sure there is any proof that buying big with big wages makes it a lock for staying up.
It just puts you in a bad spot if you get relegated.
I say play those who got you to the dance.
At least give them a chance to succeed, they have proven they are better than the first division and might just prove they are better than 6 or 7 teams in the prem.

The one huge benefit we have had this year is, touch wood, very few injuries.
And virtually no major long term ones.
How many teams in this division could lose their best 2 strikers and still go out there and be competitive.
Norwich could.

I agree with you there USAcanary, to an extent. One thing that is vital for a team in the Premiership (except Chelsea of course!) is consistancy. I''d rather have a smaller squad of quality than do a Leicester and buy a load of free agents who haven''t quite made it in the Prem. I know it''s easy to say but I''d love to do a Birmingham. I know they have spent a lot of money and I''m sure Nige wouldn''t have as much to spend. But i really rate some of the British based players they have bought. I''d like to think that Nige would have at least £5M to spend, and that can buy you a lot. Clubs like Forrest i don''t think would be able to turn their noses up at a seven figure sum for their stars. Same goes for any other 1st Div club. With finances tight in all leagues and wage bills rising, some Prem clubs will want to get rid of players which won''t make their first team. Jermaine Pennant being an example. I''m very excited about the summer, if (sorry when!) we go up.

£5m to spend ! ! !

The club should see an increase of up to £20m - much of that needs to be used on streghthening the squad.

The idea of buying players is over. The money will be used to pay wages.

Players to look for will be with the relegated clubs - none of whom will have the income to pay the wage bill of all their players. Most will have to slash the bill by getting rid of players at any cost.

This is the one time we have to be bold, ''cos it''s going to far, far harder to get out of the Ist Divison next time than ever it will be to stay up in the Premiership.

Those at the bottom of the Premiership have deeper problems than just a failing playing staff. In fact I would go as far as to say that it is the off field problems of Leeds, Leicester and Man City that have led to poor their poor performance.

A strong unified club will always in the long run outdo a split and dispirited club. That confidence and self believe runs deep through our club.

7000 or so fans going to Crystal Palace is as much a celebration of that fact as it is one of anticipation of a great game.

Some of the better players at the moment have cost the club little or nothing. Drury, Holt Brennan, Edworthy and McVeigh, so it should not be beyond Worthy to find and motivate the right players knowing that the any wage demands will not stand in the way.

We''ve still got a few more cup finals yet and with any luck a few ''lap of honour games'' at the end.

Happy days !