Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Drury: Fans can be the key Canary Boy 11: Players can be the key

Drury: Fans can be the keyCanary Boy 11: Players can be the keyI hope young Adam is not hoping the fans are going to carry us to promotion this year!I think we''ve proved our support by packing the ground to capacity every week.It''s the players and management who will get us there...what are they paid for? Get on with it!!!

That''s a bit of an insult to be honest.  The fans wholehearted support wasnt enough last season or the season before that.  In all honesty this season will be won or lost on the pitch and not in the stands.  I accept that the fans do have a role to play and I realise that Drury is just doing his job as skipper to say that, but really, it''s the eleven men wearing yellow come 3 o''clock on a Saturday afternoon that will decide the outcome of this and any season for NCFC.

[quote user="Canary Boy"]I think we''ve proved our support by packing the ground to capacity every week.[/quote]You''ve proved nothing, except the innate desire to spend a lot of money moaning.  And possibly the right to label yourself a fan rather than a supporterPerhaps it''s time to start supporting then, rather than moaning like hell at the slightest drop of a hat ?  Supporters support, regardless( the clue is in the first half of the word).The numbers throught the turnstiles make not a jot if they''re not going to support.  I''d rather have 15000 people making an atmosphere than the embarrassment of 25000 not, like the last two seasons.

I agree with the post above,I shall be there every week giving thm my full support,but they have to perform on the pitch as well,it works both ways

OTBC

Reading between the lines, Drury is saying "I know the team is week,  you''re probably all pi**ed off & I fear demonstrations early on"!

When I read this article it put the fear of God into me because it seems as though he''s not confident of a decent season.

[quote user="Arganth"][quote user="Canary Boy"]
I think we''ve proved our support by packing the ground to capacity every week.
[/quote]

You''ve proved nothing, except the innate desire to spend a lot of money moaning.  And possibly the right to label yourself a fan rather than a supporter

Perhaps it''s time to start supporting then, rather than moaning like hell at the slightest drop of a hat ?  Supporters support, regardless( the clue is in the first half of the word).

The numbers throught the turnstiles make not a jot if they''re not going to support.  I''d rather have 15000 people making an atmosphere than the embarrassment of 25000 not, like the last two seasons.
[/quote]

but teh reason why the fans split was bacause many of them could see the idiocy of the board in not removing a well past his sell by date manager from his position.  What do you want us to do Arganth?  Sit around like sheep on a sinking ship.... Then again just like our stupid board, some small proportion of fans couldnt see what was in front of their eyes either.

Such splits take a long time to recover from.  Especially when said muppets in the boardroom hire a totally unproven manager whom, so far, has not improved results in teh slightest.

I hope I am well and truely wrong, but I predict Grant Out chants before the end of the season.

[quote user="Arganth"][quote user="Canary Boy"]
I think we''ve proved our support by packing the ground to capacity every week.
[/quote]

You''ve proved nothing, except the innate desire to spend a lot of money moaning.  And possibly the right to label yourself a fan rather than a supporter

Perhaps it''s time to start supporting then, rather than moaning like hell at the slightest drop of a hat ?  Supporters support, regardless( the clue is in the first half of the word).

The numbers throught the turnstiles make not a jot if they''re not going to support.  I''d rather have 15000 people making an atmosphere than the embarrassment of 25000 not, like the last two seasons.
[/quote]

Ahhhhhhhh bless. Just where the hell have you been for the past few years? No don''t tell me.......lalaland?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

but teh reason why the fans split was bacause many of them could see the idiocy of the board in not removing a well past his sell by date manager from his position.  What do you want us to do Arganth?  Sit around like sheep on a sinking ship.... [/quote]

Are the sheep all that''s left on a sinking ship when the rats have deserted it?

Think some of you are reading a bit too much into his statement ---There was of course a time when Carrow Rd was probably the most atmospheric ground to be in at this level and naturally with the last two seasons performances and the the Worthy fiasco things are bound to slide---He is right the supporters on the day do play a part and can help lift performance---however they are certainly not the key to a succesfull,  season the guys in yellow are---who was is said that they are concerned that him saying what he has shows lack of confidence---what a load of rubbish---what Drury says is not wrong, he is not looking to make excuses before the season starts---stop being so damn paranoid and take it as its meant i.e we are important and they want us behind them--those at attend on a regular basis know it--when we get on their backs or are quiet it can effect them, whilst they are proffessionals they are human as well and will hopefully turn up the gas if we do-----------

Drurys got a lot to prove this season, Gobbing off before the season starts isnt going to help his cause if he performs how he has done the last 2 seasons....

time will tell for Adam and the rest of the squad.

jas :)

Frankly, the case was proven against Leicester last season.Week before: fans are rubbish, give me noise.Day of game: Best atmosphere in a long, long while = 3-1 win.

i want to see a city team that''s serious about gunning for the top and is fit for purpose - the board and granty tells all the new players NCFC has prem ambitions - great - lets see this ambition replicated on the pitch with a competitive squad.  since hucks outburst - we''ve signed a decent chelski youngster (typically who''s crocked already) - but we''re all still waiting for the next big signing.  as usual, i''ll be getting behind city - but as for all the usual ''11th man'' BS - drury should know - all the chanting in the world doesn''t make up for a decent squad on the pitch - and have we got one???i''m content that granty and duffy will get the team spirit right - he only wants commited types and winners here - and i''d love to be cheering us into the top 6 and beyond - but the board should be honest with people - we haven''t spent enough to be properly competitive YET!!!???  

Drury should learn to do his talking on the pitch and Munby should just keep his gob shut.

Yet more PR bull from the club I''m afraid... utterly shameless... when are they going to just hold their hands up and admit that they are a joke and that things aren''t working?

Then and only then will they have the fans united behind them!!!

[quote user="Smudger"]

Drury should learn to do his talking on the pitch and Munby should just keep his gob shut.

Yet more PR bull from the club I''m afraid... utterly shameless... when are they going to just hold their hands up and admit that they are a joke and that things aren''t working?

[/quote]

But that''s exactly what Munby does a lot of the time - keep his gob shut and use Delia and Doomcaster as mouth-pieces so they take the flak and not him [:@]

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

That''s entirely logical. The fans will unite together when the club admits that its a joke and its all just a shambles - then, yes then the fans will unite behind the wonderfuly silly club.

Smudger old/young fellow how very confusing and odd.

PR bull? Surely not?!! I mean isn''t it more of a case of stating the obvious.

If you had 20,000 Smudgers in the ground (or outside it for arguments sake) the club is unlikely to progress is it, and in a way that what you would love to see most, and you have as such admitted so. You think the only way for the other "sheep"-like fans to realise the real deal is for Norwich to get relegated or close to it.

The problem is that you assume everybody else thinks things are all hunky-dorey at fraggle-carrow road when perhaps we don''t but realise that it comes with the territory. As in sure we would all love to see the club suddenly come into millions but then at the same time I do not want to loose OUR club.

Speak to the older Chelsea fans and they will tell you the one thing they regret is that their clubs identity has been taken away. The badge was changed on the request of Abramovich and the last I heard they were going to rename Chelseas Village. Everything has to be re-branded the way that the suger-dady dictator wants it to be.

Wigan is sort of similar, would you like your stadium to pay homage to the person who feels they have bought the right to brand "their" club? JJB Stadium - just wait in a couple of years that will be more like TK Max Stadium! Madjeski - I have to think hard about how to spell it, probably wrong and even harder on how to say it. Rumours have it that Liverpool will ditch "Anfield" as the name to their new home in favour of a corporate sponsership.

Arsenal having built years of history at Highbury have decided to go down that route with the Emirates. Nice stadium for sure, but its going to change its name more times than Willy Wonkers colour changing gobstoppers.

If you think Delia and Michael are bad then have a good look around. This club still has its fans best interests at heart, if you really can''t see that then maybe you should ask why they haven''t decided to allow some corporate body to name our stadium, why they haven''t - re-branded our badge and history into a wonderful "want to support our team" package. For that I am happy. Because I like NCFC just the way it is, and yes I am sure that we could do with more money but that isn''t to say that those who are dealing with the money at the moment are not doing a good job.

When, and it is when because in the not so distant future, those two do decide to sell up it will be a moment that at least figuritively speaking I will hold my breath because it will take the same sort of people to hold and protect this clubs history and ongoing legacy. I want to go to a "Nest" or "Carrow Road" to watch my football - not some super-duper-mr-whatsimacallhim-stadium.

I thank Delia and Michael for not doing this because we could be going to watch football at a "Delia Bowl" or "Wyn-Jones Arena".

And in all honesty Smudge, you have said so many contradictory things I think you need to have a long hard think about it.

You stopped going to matches because you wanted Worthington gone and didn''t want the club to back him with more money. Now he is gone you complain that the club is not releasing enough money to Grant, does this mean that you will be going to matches now? The club could do with your money and Grant and his merry men could do with your support. To not to this would be defeating you own argument.

Lastly and more to the point of this post. Yes I think Drury is right. I think the fans can have a massive influence on consistancy. If the players know they are going to be incuraged and spurred on by their fans they are less worried about making minor misstakes and will be keener to make amends for those they do make. At home this can help them raise their confidence and play a better all-round game. If they become difficult to beat at home they can go away and have less weight on their shoulders and play more attacking football. The support can aid them to become consistant and can give them that last bit of energy needed to carry them through the last minutes of a match.

Yes the players need to recipricate the support too but the support starts before the players come out of the tunnel, before  they have kicked a ball. The support should not dwindle the first time their is a missplaced pass otherwise you find that the support can act negatively so you have a team playing what is known in the trade as "hot-potato". When no one wants the ball in fear of making a misstake therefore they work less to get the ball and as soon as they get it they either move it on too quickly and too obviously or they hoof it. This is combined with a lack of confidence.

Rant over!

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

That''s entirely logical. The fans will unite together when the club admits that its a joke and its all just a shambles - then, yes then the fans will unite behind the wonderfuly silly club.

Smudger old/young fellow how very confusing and odd.

PR bull? Surely not?!! I mean isn''t it more of a case of stating the obvious.

If you had 20,000 Smudgers in the ground (or outside it for arguments sake) the club is unlikely to progress is it, and in a way that what you would love to see most, and you have as such admitted so. You think the only way for the other "sheep"-like fans to realise the real deal is for Norwich to get relegated or close to it.

The problem is that you assume everybody else thinks things are all hunky-dorey at fraggle-carrow road when perhaps we don''t but realise that it comes with the territory. As in sure we would all love to see the club suddenly come into millions but then at the same time I do not want to loose OUR club.

Speak to the older Chelsea fans and they will tell you the one thing they regret is that their clubs identity has been taken away. The badge was changed on the request of Abramovich and the last I heard they were going to rename Chelseas Village. Everything has to be re-branded the way that the suger-dady dictator wants it to be.

Wigan is sort of similar, would you like your stadium to pay homage to the person who feels they have bought the right to brand "their" club? JJB Stadium - just wait in a couple of years that will be more like TK Max Stadium! Madjeski - I have to think hard about how to spell it, probably wrong and even harder on how to say it. Rumours have it that Liverpool will ditch "Anfield" as the name to their new home in favour of a corporate sponsership.

Arsenal having built years of history at Highbury have decided to go down that route with the Emirates. Nice stadium for sure, but its going to change its name more times than Willy Wonkers colour changing gobstoppers.

If you think Delia and Michael are bad then have a good look around. This club still has its fans best interests at heart, if you really can''t see that then maybe you should ask why they haven''t decided to allow some corporate body to name our stadium, why they haven''t - re-branded our badge and history into a wonderful "want to support our team" package. For that I am happy. Because I like NCFC just the way it is, and yes I am sure that we could do with more money but that isn''t to say that those who are dealing with the money at the moment are not doing a good job.

When, and it is when because in the not so distant future, those two do decide to sell up it will be a moment that at least figuritively speaking I will hold my breath because it will take the same sort of people to hold and protect this clubs history and ongoing legacy. I want to go to a "Nest" or "Carrow Road" to watch my football - not some super-duper-mr-whatsimacallhim-stadium.

I thank Delia and Michael for not doing this because we could be going to watch football at a "Delia Bowl" or "Wyn-Jones Arena".

And in all honesty Smudge, you have said so many contradictory things I think you need to have a long hard think about it.

You stopped going to matches because you wanted Worthington gone and didn''t want the club to back him with more money. Now he is gone you complain that the club is not releasing enough money to Grant, does this mean that you will be going to matches now? The club could do with your money and Grant and his merry men could do with your support. To not to this would be defeating you own argument.

Lastly and more to the point of this post. Yes I think Drury is right. I think the fans can have a massive influence on consistancy. If the players know they are going to be incuraged and spurred on by their fans they are less worried about making minor misstakes and will be keener to make amends for those they do make. At home this can help them raise their confidence and play a better all-round game. If they become difficult to beat at home they can go away and have less weight on their shoulders and play more attacking football. The support can aid them to become consistant and can give them that last bit of energy needed to carry them through the last minutes of a match.

Yes the players need to recipricate the support too but the support starts before the players come out of the tunnel, before  they have kicked a ball. The support should not dwindle the first time their is a missplaced pass otherwise you find that the support can act negatively so you have a team playing what is known in the trade as "hot-potato". When no one wants the ball in fear of making a misstake therefore they work less to get the ball and as soon as they get it they either move it on too quickly and too obviously or they hoof it. This is combined with a lack of confidence.

Rant over!

[/quote]

Board gives money to Worthy 2003/04 season = success

Board gives no money to Worthy = No success

Board gives no money to Grant = No Success

*Go figure Chicken!!!

As for me being contradictory, I believe most posters on here would just find that comment laughable.