Sign in to follow this  
JerseyCanary

Darrel Russell

A great signing - with a load more experience and really wants to play for the club.  Keep it going Granty.

Thumbs up from me too. A decent centre half and i think the squad overall is clearly stronger than the past two seasons. Well done Grant and the board. Now i think i`d better go and have a lie down...........[:D]

[quote user="ncfc1"]

We are taking backward step after backward step , first Cureton now Russell at least Ipswich are getting their old cast offs back for nothing we are paying good money for ours.

[/quote]

What are you talking about? Yeah it''s really awful that we got the highest scorer in the Championship last season and it''s even worse that we got Stoke''s captain for only £600,000........ Why are we taking backwards steps, cause we signing former players, yeah It would be such a massive step back if we signing Green, Ashton, Bentley to name a few!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]

Safri has gone.

He''s not even on the new squad pic.

[/quote]

No no no he''s not gone anywhere ive been told by the board that he''s having wisdom teeth removed.

[/quote]

Maybe you should have some put in arthur LOL

It''s disastrous news.

All we''ve done is sign a proven championship goalscoring midfiedler, something we needed badly and dear oh dear he''s only 26, with time on his side.

Welcome home Darel, good signing Mr Grant.

ive heard from my mate whos a leicester fan that kentons coming back as well. with hughes on his way to leeds or oldham apparently grant sees him as an option at centre half as well as covering for otsemebor and drury. i know hes been shit since he left but if he can get back to how he was when he played here before i think it might turn out to be a good signing, especially as its free.

Dear God.......how low have we sunk when buying back such a journeyman reject gets this rapturous applause?

Football may well have changed since Smith arrived....but the aspiration of the modern City fan has simply become laughable. First Grant...then Cureton...now Russell.  Remind whether or not this lot were part of the original demise of the club....but which have now miraculously become the beacon for our future......

You lot deserve each other......you really do.

my personal favourite signing we''ve made this summer, before he left he was my favourite player we had, great player and will be better than Etuhu IMO

[quote user="Peter Grants Tartan Army"]

It''s disastrous news.

All we''ve done is sign a proven championship goalscoring midfiedler, something we needed badly and dear oh dear he''s only 26, with time on his side.

Welcome home Darel, good signing Mr Grant.

[/quote]

I wouldnt call him a ''proven championship goalscoring midfiedler''  he has 16 in 4 years, thats 4 a season on average.  However he was apparantly excellent last season for Stoke scoring 7 times.  Hopefully he can keep up this kind of form for us.

His passing was never that great but his ability to drive forward as well as putting his foot in should prove useful.

Dear God.......how low have we sunk when buying back such a journeyman reject gets this rapturous applause?Journeyman ?  How''d you come to that conclusion? 

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

Yet you can''t quite manage to ignore us as you PROMISED you would, can you. I thought that posting on here once you had stopped going to watch games would make you a hypocrite (your words not mine) - what happened to change this?

[quote user="Cluck "]

Dear God.......how low have we sunk when buying back such a journeyman reject gets this rapturous applause?

Football may well have changed since Smith arrived....but the aspiration of the modern City fan has simply become laughable. First Grant...then Cureton...now Russell.  Remind whether or not this lot were part of the original demise of the club....but which have now miraculously become the beacon for our future......

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree with you  more we are going forwards to go backwards. Never mind pile on the bullls*** small minds are easily pleased.

[quote user="Shyster"]

Too late now, but Darrel Russell or 600k toward the free signing & wages of  Lee Hendrie anybody? 

Still - Russell is a better option than both Etuhu & Safri.

[/quote]

Darrell Russell, younger and comes with less baggage.

I was always very impressed with him.  And didn''t he leave because Worthy refused to play him in his favourite CM role?

I reckon he will be a regular next year  and do very well.  And anyway whats wrong with re-signing old players, it''s not as if we have re-signed duffers is it.

[quote user="macdougall''s perm"][quote user="Cluck "]

Yet you can''t quite manage to ignore us as you PROMISED you would, can you. I thought that posting on here once you had stopped going to watch games would make you a hypocrite (your words not mine) - what happened to change this?

[/quote]

MP, don''t be so hard on poor Cluck....it may simply be loneliness.

So Cluck, who would you suggest we should sign?An over-priced, over-rated Premiership player with enormous wages? Who wouldn''t join us anyway. Although I suppose that would keep you happy because it would be proof of our lack of ambition because we aren''t achieving the impossible. We have to work with what we have, and where we are. In the current circumstances, this batch of recruits look a good combination of value and skill.

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

So do you and Smudger and Wayne [:D]

I don''t think this a great signing nor is it a bad one either.  He is without a doubt worth signing though.  Having seen him play against us at Stoke in the last two seasons and from his time here, he does not have the ability of Saf or Etuhu but he certainly is a good player for this league.  He is very much a box to box player who doesn''t need to labelled a defensive or attacking midfielder, he does both.  He will be neat, tidy and very busy but not spectacular.  Not the final piece of the puzzle but worth £400k.  We have lacked team players very badly in the last few seasons, our "stars" have got us nowhere.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

So do you and Smudger and Wayne [:D]

[/quote]

Oh really ca, just how COULD you leave poor old Arthur Whittle out of things? How rude and inconsiderate of you [;)]

I think that Russel could prove to be a very good, shrewd signing. He''s done well for Stoke, he seems to have matured, he''s still only 26 and he wants to play for us [:D]

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]A journeyman? Cluck is back eh, making up his own BS to support his arguments as usual. Tell me Cluck, how many clubs has this "journeyman" had?

[quote user="Dicky"]A great signing - with a load more experience and really wants to play for the club.  Keep it going Granty.[/quote]

agreed Dicky! ( theres a rarity.. us 2 agreeing! lol)

Rustys a great signing, was a fan of his when he was first here, he gets stuck in, tackles hard, can score goals and pass a ball well too! im delighted he''s back and also agree he should never of been offloaded in the first place.

Stoke could of got a hell of a lot more for him, we have nabbed him at Bargain price!

jas :)

Saint Canary sums it up well- neat, tidy and busy is what we need. It harks back to the days when we played and gelled well as a team, with a Gary Holt (before he lost it), Mick McGuire, Graham Paddon or dare I say it Peter Mendham (or Granty himself) type player who rarely did much spectacular but glued the team together. We only ever got 10- 15 mins from Etuhu except on rare headline occasions such as Chelsea in Feb and Safri for me has never delivered much since we went down looking off the pace when he has actually played.

I am looking for Darel to raise energy levels in there and get forward a bit to support the strikers and stop those balls pinging straight back at our own defence. Forget the days when he came into the team as a callow youth, he''s an experienced pro now.

Finally its sometimes better the devil you know..........as the saying goes.

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

Oh really ca, just how COULD you leave poor old Arthur Whittle out of things? How rude and inconsiderate of you [;)]

[/quote]

Unlike Cluck, Smudger and Wayne, I believe Arthur Whittle actually does go to games and is a member like most of us on here Bigmark.

To lump him in with that crowd doesn''t seem right to me.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

A journeyman? Cluck is back eh, making up his own BS to support his arguments as usual. Tell me Cluck, how many clubs has this "journeyman" had?
[/quote]

Well.....I see the usual suspects are behaving like performing seals as ever.  Former players who leave it seems are labelled "Judas"......Former players brought back out of desperation are considered "legends"....Stunning stuff.

Cheap options by a desperate club...welcomed by equally desperate "supporters". A journeyman in footballing terms is one who will never be anything other than a make-shift......and this is what will apparently be gaining us promotion in the coming season?  Suffolk must be celebrating right now. 

Don''t make me laugh....and even the label of "sheep" is becoming a compliment for most of you......

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Two thumbs up, I think.

Grown in Chase''s academy, just like Jamie.

Welcome back Darel.

OTBC

[/quote]

More credit for that glorious benchmarking time when Chase was in charge. Well spotted Bly, maybe there is a Mills & Boone novel[W] somewhere that reflects your romantic feelings for Bob The Builder [Z][U]

Maybe we should go back in time to see what the great mans transfer policy was to get out of this league in 1995. Matthew Rush (300,000), Robert Fleck (750,000), Keith Scott (swap for Sheron), Jan Molby (5 games on loan) and the cut price sales of Newsome and Ward. End of season - 16th in the league and on the brink of bankruptcy!

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

A journeyman? Cluck is back eh, making up his own BS to support his arguments as usual. Tell me Cluck, how many clubs has this "journeyman" had?
[/quote]

Well.....I see the usual suspects are behaving like performing seals as ever.  Former players who leave it seems are labelled "Judas"......Former players brought back out of desperation are considered "legends"....Stunning stuff.

Cheap options by a desperate club...welcomed by equally desperate "supporters". A journeyman in footballing terms is one who will never be anything other than a make-shift......and this is what will apparently be gaining us promotion in the coming season?  Suffolk must be celebrating right now. 

Don''t make me laugh....and even the label of "sheep" is becoming a compliment for most of you......

[/quote]

You really are a poisonous, bitter, nasty piece of work aren''t you cluck?  I''m very glad I don''t know you personally, I have to say.  After a while, I think you would start to drag everyone around you down to your level of misery.......

Darrel is not what i''d consider a star signing, or the new messiah. He is a former Canary that had a chance to return and was impressed by what the Manager told him of his plans here. That show ambition and a desire to do things at Norwich for Norwich not just a few more quid in his pocket every weekend.

It seems there is more spirit and morale boosting within the squad then some are giving Grant credit for. He is working hard behind closed doors on his plan, Not to sit mid table, Grants plan is Premiership Football. Some may say thats stupid, but i want to be positive.

Positive = Good

Negative= Baaaaaaaad as the Binners girlfriends say

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

I don''t think this a great signing nor is it a bad one either.  He is without a doubt worth signing though.  Having seen him play against us at Stoke in the last two seasons and from his time here, he does not have the ability of Saf or Etuhu but he certainly is a good player for this league.  He is very much a box to box player who doesn''t need to labelled a defensive or attacking midfielder, he does both.  He will be neat, tidy and very busy but not spectacular.  Not the final piece of the puzzle but worth £400k.  We have lacked team players very badly in the last few seasons, our "stars" have got us nowhere.

[/quote]

This is a great post SC.