Sign in to follow this  
JerseyCanary

Darrel Russell

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Well thats excellant news we''re going to sign yet more Norwich old boys. How long before Mendham gets out?!! I rate Russell but its surely to fill the gap for when Safri goes to the Dentists!![/quote]I very much doubt safri is going, if you read the new article Grant categorically states that Russell is a replacement for Etuhu.Welcome back Russell, I hope you do well here.

[quote user="Le Juge"]

I''m glad to see him back, think he''s a tidy footballer and worth a spot in the team and think 600k isn''t too bad of a price (a bit sickening considering we gave him away for free though) However, unless we sell a midfielder I can see there being a few disgruntled players. We have Safri, Brellier, Russell, Fotheringham, Smith, Lappin, Chadwick, Spillane, all of whom are viable options for central midfield. Safri, Brellier, Spillane could be considered the sitting midfielders with Russell, Fotheringham, Smith, Chadwick and Lappin the midfielders who push on. I suppose I could include Hughes in that but I''d rather put my boots on and play than put Hughes in central midfield (I could run around ineffectively giving the ball away and clapping a lot) Did well at RB but makes me cringe if I see him listed in midfield.

I''m all for having competition for places and backups for injuries etc but I feel that all of the above players are there to play football, they''re not players who are going to be content at not getting picked and happy if they get a spot on the bench. They will all be trying to make the spot theirs which in theory is fantastic because it should spur them on to perform and have the nobody is safe mentality (unless you''re a defender, because we only have four of them) but in practice they are going to get mighty fed up with playing reserve football and watching from the stands. 

Personally I think Russell and Brellier in central midfield together have the physical presence to bully other teams midfield and run the game (They are both strong and commited in tackles) and they have the ability to play football too when they can so purely on that basis they''d be my first choice two.

Having said that, if we hadn''t signed midfielders I''d be complaining that we had no competition for places and whinging, fickle football fans aren''t we.

All in all, good signing.

[/quote]

Even though Chadwick has played "in the hole" in Holland, I''d still list him as a winger more than a CM because if Croft is injured/unfit, Chadwick is the only option we''ve got on the right. Lappin isn''t a central midfielder either, and Spillane is more likely to get a game in the heart of the defence rather than the heart of the midfield. That would leave us with:

DM:
Brellier
Safri

CM:
Russell
Fotheringham
Smith

Which I''d say is about right numbers-wise.

Just a CB and possibly an LB or LW to provide some cover on that side of the pitch. Eagle simply isn''t good enough.

Good to have him back, we should never have let him go in the first place. I remember seeing him run Portsmouth ragged when we beat them at Fratton Park the season  they were promoted. Can anybody recall what we sold him to Stoke for ?

[quote user="Quantum"]Fee confirmed as £410k on Stoke site. [url=http://www.stokecityfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10310~1081272,00.html]Link[/url]
[/quote]

we had a 30% sell on clause when we sold him so i suspect we offered 600k but with the 30% taken off it came to 410k

[quote user="Baron Bludgeon 1"]Can anybody recall what we sold him to Stoke for ?[/quote]Bit of searching BBC Sport found this. [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/stoke_city/3134813.stm]Link[/url]So an overall loss of £285k if my math''s right. Nothing disastrous I''d say especially if he''s a more ''complete'' article now.

[quote user="Baron Bludgeon 1"]

Good to have him back, we should never have let him go in the first place. I remember seeing him run Portsmouth ragged when we beat them at Fratton Park the season  they were promoted. Can anybody recall what we sold him to Stoke for ?

[/quote]

Ok, just seen below that we gave him a "free". Incredible if that really was the case. IMO, Russell''s arrival paves the way for Safri to go, hopefully for £1M plus.

On the occassions I have seen him play against us he looked like he had improved a fair amount.  Back when he played for us he always gave his all, so I am optimistic.My only worry from before was that he was a little bit lightweight for a central midfielder. Maybe he was one of those youngsters who probably needed to go out on loan to develop. So I look forward to seeing what the new, improved Darel Russell can do. Welcome back Darel!

[quote user="Baron Bludgeon 1"]

[/quote]

I thought we lost to them 3-2 the season they went up? cracking game though i remember it being on sky!

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="Baron Bludgeon 1"]

[/quote]

I thought we lost to them 3-2 the season they went up? cracking game though i remember it being on sky!

[/quote]

Sorry, must have been the season before. Wet, muddy Sunday afternoon game. I think we wone 1-0.

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="Baron Bludgeon 1"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i remember that game, we deserved to win but they had Yakubu and Todorov(pre-injuries) up front who made the difference

the 30% sell on clause money we will receive / discounted from buying Russell has already been budgeted for, so we wont spend it, along with the already budgeted 67k for colin

im very very happy he is back, i thought he was a very god player at norwich, and has develpoed alot at stoke. good signing.

Welcome back Darrel - I for one am pleased to see you back. As has been stated, he has improved a lot since leaving imo, reckon our midfield is starting to look like it could have more balls than it has had for a long time. I like the way that Grant seems to be taking our team at the moment!

[quote user="The Judge"]

I just hope that this doesn''t mean Safri is on his way as that would just be one step forward - one step back.

[/quote]

Not really, the absolute best you''ll get from Safri is 30 games a year, and taking the last time he was in the African Nations Cup as an example then Feburary through to March will be spent trying to regain fitness and form, so you''d probably get no more than 20 decent games out of him next year.

Whereas with Russell we should be getting 40+ games a year from him, that is based on his soccerbase stats which say that he played 166 times for Stoke in 4 seasons (substitute apperances not included) that works out as an average of 41.5 times per season.

As far as the debate surronding him being attacking or defensive midfielder goes, has anyone considered that he may be able to do both. It''s called versitility some players have it e.g Dion Dublin some think they do but really don''t e.g. Gary Doherty.

well at least signing russell shows that the checkbook hasnt been locked up for the summer, just need a new centreback now!

Looks like the majority of people who have replied are in favour of this signing then!

£400k a bargain.

Good to have him back but not the best signing. That will be going to Julien Brellier. This guy looks an absolute steal, Talk Sport couldn''t believe he signed for us instead of a Prem club. He will be a God and we are on course for the play offs minimum now. OTBC and let''s get the show started!

Russell is a good replacement for Etuhu in everything but towering physical presence. As I posted in another thread, I''m concerned about our midfield''s lack of height with Dickson gone - but Russell will get goals, tackles tenaciously and can get up and down the pitch as well as Dickson ever could.

It''s a shame that Smith is out for a few weeks, but it will be a very interesting battle for midfield places when he comes back.

i think its a great signing. always a decent player here, fans hav always given him a great reception wen hes com back and, ok, i can accept players like curo and russel may not be as good as earnshaw and etuhu but atleast were gettin in players who actually want to be here and who love the club. dickson was good for about 10 games a year and only ever saw this club as a stepping stone to something bigger, and the same goes for earnie.

Not a bad signing but not a particularly ambitious one either. I still see us as having a mid-table squad.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

Safri has gone.

He''s not even on the new squad pic.

[/quote]

No no no he''s not gone anywhere ive been told by the board that he''s having wisdom teeth removed.

[quote user="barclay4ever"]

i think its a great signing. always a decent player here, fans hav always given him a great reception wen hes com back and, ok, i can accept players like curo and russel may not be as good as earnshaw and etuhu but atleast were gettin in players who actually want to be here and who love the club. dickson was good for about 10 games a year and only ever saw this club as a stepping stone to something bigger, and the same goes for earnie.

[/quote]

Ill second that, i know their not all big star names but i really like the way Grant is going about taking this club forward.  

Can''t wait for the season to start!!

This is fantastic news!, was one of my favourites and certainly had more than 1 good game!. Worthy made a big mistake letting him go, he''s a decent footballer with a good engine...I can''t see how anyone can now say we''re doing bad transfer wise, our midfield is looking very strong imo. Bring on a centreback and I''ll be confident of us doing VERY well this season.

Has improved over the last four years but doesnt share Saf''s quality by a long way but a player who wants to be here is a big plus if PG can pull the best out of him -------------

Even with Saf gone, we have good competition in midfielsd, which can only be good.

Huckerby/Lappin

Chadwick/Croft

Brellier/Fotheringham

Russel/Smith

Cmon U Yellows!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]

Safri has gone.

He''s not even on the new squad pic.

[/quote]

No no no he''s not gone anywhere ive been told by the board that he''s having wisdom teeth removed.

[/quote]

I thought you said that the Board never communicated with you [:D]

Good signing for me. I rated him in his first spell and hopefully he''ll have improved as a player.