Sign in to follow this  
JerseyCanary

Darrel Russell

Well, it seems we are signing him for 600K.  I would imagine this is as a replacement for Safri, who Grunt is trying to send on his way.

Can''t say I''m overly impressed, Russell was never up to much during his first spell here, but at least was full of enery and running, along with more ability than the awful Hooze. I think he will reinforce our position in the middle of the table as a team, of huffers and puffers.

We are taking backward step after backward step , first Cureton now Russell at least Ipswich are getting their old cast offs back for nothing we are paying good money for ours.

i have to say im quite glad to see him come back he was stokes captain and charlton are also reportidly interested so it looke like hes in the bag good signing in my eyes got pace good in the tackle lots of energy and will do his best for you unlike etuhu

Good player for us and should never have been let go in my opinion. 

He impressed me when he played at center back a couple of times. Tall, strong, pace and distributed the ball well. If I were Grant I would be tempted to turn him into a defender.

Russell has clearly improved though since his departure, and 600k seems ok for a regular first choice player at another Championship club

As no one else seems to want to say it, I will, welcome home Darrel lad, you were always one of my favourites!.

This would be a good signing by Granty.

Get in there.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Well, it seems we are signing him for 600K.  I would imagine this is as a replacement for Safri, who Grunt is trying to send on his way.

Can''t say I''m overly impressed, Russell was never up to much during his first spell here, but at least was full of enery and running, along with more ability than the awful Hooze. I think he will reinforce our position in the middle of the table as a team, of huffers and puffers.

[/quote]

Not quite sure you were watching the same player as me, Russell looked like a young player who had too much on his shoulders due to the fact the team was so poor and he was young with ability last time he was here and then he went to being a back up to holt and mulryne. i think russell would be an excellent signing - he probably won''t be 1st team regularly but the fact is he scored 7 or 8 goals last season - we need a central midfielder who can regularly do that for us and jimmy smith is just on loan

Well thats excellant news we''re going to sign yet more Norwich old boys. How long before Mendham gets out?!! I rate Russell but its surely to fill the gap for when Safri goes to the Dentists!!

Sorry to disagree but I''m quite upbeat about getting Darrel Russell back, never wanted him to go and think he''ll do a good job for us plus there will now be more compeition for places in central midfield.

Safri - Russell- Fozzy - Brellier- Smith - Spillane

Cant wait for the game tomorrrow night [:D]

I always liked him and was sorry when he went. He''s been good at Stoke and will pair up well with Chadwick as they know each other.

I still think we need a centre half but this looks like a good signing imo.

Too late now, but Darrel Russell or 600k toward the free signing & wages of  Lee Hendrie anybody? 

Still - Russell is a better option than both Etuhu & Safri.

Russel will not be a replacement for Safri - Russel is more of an attacking midfield player. At least thats what I remember of him.

I was another that never wanted him to leave - he was better than Mullers and also new who he was playing for. Just think if we had kept him we may well have never needed Etuhu!

Oh well - I am very happy to see him back here and he knows its a step back up. Sounds like that rumour in January was true doesn''t it?

Not a bad signing in my opinion (for what that counts !) I just hope that this doesn''t mean Safri is on his way as that would just be one step forward - one step back.

Couple of defenders now and i''ll start to feel abit more optimistic of a top 10 finish.

Headless chicken. He had one good game for us away at Portsmouth when that winger we had on loan tore us apart down the right£600k? That rivals the Hooze signing for stupidityGutted.

decent young player for us but his move to Stoke has improved him considerably as a player, i''m just really happy that we have a good set of midfielders battling to get a place in the side, just need a centre back in now

As far as filling the hole Etuhu left, this is a good signing. Both Dickson and Darel scored 7 goals from midfield last season.

The big point for me is, I would watch the Championship last season and see the effect Darel was having at Stoke - creating and scroing goals, tackling tough in midfield. I remember several times thinking how he''d come on and developed into a good player (not that he wasn''t when he was here - for me, Francis had what Russell has).

He is still only 26, plenty of time for more improvement. Plus, he will want to play for PG. It comes across clearly in his comments now that he''s signed.

As for comparing our returnees with Ipswich''s. I would rather have the league''s top scorer and last season''s Actim Index runner up player of the season (behind McSheffrey), and No.55 (5 places ahead of Dickson) returning to Carrow Road, than Counago and Miller.

Only Darren Huckerby and Jason Shackell finished higher in the player Championship player ratings last year. Statistics can always lie, of course, but they''re not bad as an indication.

I am pleased with this because it appears to be yet another signing by Grant of a player who wants to be here.

For years I have believed that the only loyalty in football is a oneway ticket between the fans and their club. I am beginning to think Grant is building something special and different here. Something where the fans loyalty and commitment to the club could be shown on the pitch too!

I''m glad to see him back, think he''s a tidy footballer and worth a spot in the team and think 600k isn''t too bad of a price (a bit sickening considering we gave him away for free though) However, unless we sell a midfielder I can see there being a few disgruntled players. We have Safri, Brellier, Russell, Fotheringham, Smith, Lappin, Chadwick, Spillane, all of whom are viable options for central midfield. Safri, Brellier, Spillane could be considered the sitting midfielders with Russell, Fotheringham, Smith, Chadwick and Lappin the midfielders who push on. I suppose I could include Hughes in that but I''d rather put my boots on and play than put Hughes in central midfield (I could run around ineffectively giving the ball away and clapping a lot) Did well at RB but makes me cringe if I see him listed in midfield.

I''m all for having competition for places and backups for injuries etc but I feel that all of the above players are there to play football, they''re not players who are going to be content at not getting picked and happy if they get a spot on the bench. They will all be trying to make the spot theirs which in theory is fantastic because it should spur them on to perform and have the nobody is safe mentality (unless you''re a defender, because we only have four of them) but in practice they are going to get mighty fed up with playing reserve football and watching from the stands. 

Personally I think Russell and Brellier in central midfield together have the physical presence to bully other teams midfield and run the game (They are both strong and commited in tackles) and they have the ability to play football too when they can so purely on that basis they''d be my first choice two.

Having said that, if we hadn''t signed midfielders I''d be complaining that we had no competition for places and whinging, fickle football fans aren''t we.

All in all, good signing.

On the face of it this looks like another bargain basement replacement - sell for £1.5m and replace with £600k. But you could probly have asked any NCFC fan 6 months ago if they would like a straight swap of Etuhu for Russell and I doubt you would have found many who would not have bitten your arm off for that deal. Good work Granty.

Russell is another like Cureton who has matured/improved and realised their potential since they left us so getting them back is not a step backwards at all as some would seem to suggest. Russell will do a better job than Etuhu ever would have done over the course of a season.

[quote user="T07"]Headless chicken. He had one good game for us away at Portsmouth when that winger we had on loan tore us apart down the right

£600k? That rivals the Hooze signing for stupidity

Gutted.
[/quote]

a) that was 4 years ago, from wat ive heard hes improved alot since then and still only 26 ...

b) 2 godd games, if the friendly against arsenal wen he scored a over head kick kind of thing counts lol

It''s ridiculous to judge him on his past performances for Norwich bearing in mind the level of experience he had when he was here. Having seen him play for Stoke in recent seasons he was the heartbeat of the team and chipped in with the odd goal which, lets be clear, is better than anything we had last year.

Significantly, he has massive amounts of passion with control and i believe along with Cureton will be wanting to prove a point.

Give us a decent centre half PG and then lets see what happens.

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]

... you could probly have asked any NCFC fan 6 months ago if they would like a straight swap of Etuhu for Russell and I doubt you would have found many who would not have bitten your arm off for that deal.

[/quote]A very good point.

[quote user="Shyster"]

Too late now, but Darrel Russell or 600k toward the free signing & wages of  Lee Hendrie anybody? 

Still - Russell is a better option than both Etuhu & Safri.

[/quote]

Russell is younger, works harder and hasn''t just been signed by Sheffield Utd.

How much did we originally flog Darrel for? Have we lost any dosh on re-purchase?

When''s Dazza Beckford, Putney, Foxy, Disco Dale and ''The Chief'' Efan Ekoku going to sign on a pay as you play basis?

I did like Darrel, occasionally ineffective and meandered around a bit.......used to wonder which dodgy hairstyle he was going to be sporting when he trotted out of the tunnel.

I was at the last October away Britannia Stadium Stoke debacle, when young Darrel (yes he''s still not wet shaving) played very well against us. Then again, we were stupendously shi*e.

I''ll welcome his return, he''s a more professional player and has matured and certainly improved his game.

I''ll once again, take immense delight in my hobby of ''Darrel''s dodgy barnet spotting''.

I bet our local Toni & Guy hairdressers - are really excited about his return.......and he won''t even have to make an appointment.

Best signing of the summer in my opinion. I always liked Darel when he was here before and was sorry to see him leave. Hard working and honest, but most importantly, I feel that he genuinely wants to be here.

Fee confirmed as £410k on Stoke site. [url=http://www.stokecityfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10310~1081272,00.html]Link[/url]

Sorry can''t say i''m ecstatic at bringing Russell back for 600k.Average to good championship midfielder.Not what''s needed if we are to be serious contenders for promotion. I would love to be proved wrong,but i don''t see Russell adding to much to the squad we already have.