Sign in to follow this  
arrdee

Oscar Hold

Now was Oscar Hold the dirtiest player to have ever played for us ? now i never saw him play he was before  my time , but my brother did he is 8 yrs older than me  , now i will not make comments on my post concerning  the old players you have asked me to speak about on less i have seen them play , i don''t make up things and i don''t tell lies , i will however tell you what my brother told  me ," Oscar Hold went out each week with the intent of maiming players , he would try to break players legs with 2 footed tackles which in those days were not even fouls , he had no interest in playing football at all , he would chin players behind the refs back , a total evil player  he got sent off lots of times , you had to nearly kill someone in those days to get sent off " as i say i never saw him play i don''t doubt my brothers account he like me never missed a thing on the field, but i cann''t comment , i will hand this one over to Ricardo who i am sure saw him play , over to you Ricardo , Now Jas you lovely young fellow you asked about Hughieeeeeee!!! as we called him , my lasting memory  of him is seeing the hardest shot i have ever seen in football , he received the ball near the dugout atacking the River end he unleashed a left foot shot that i swear to you never got more than 2 foot off the ground it hit the keepers right hand post no one had moved,  the ball rebounded to

the half way line and had to be replaced soon after , the goal posts shook for sometime ,i thought he had broken them ,  i wish it could have been timed , now on my next blaaaarst from the paaaaarst post , i will tell you one of the funniest things i have seen at Carrow rd if not indeed the funniest ever , involving Bunny Larkings torn shorts , an inebriated old woman with the worst ill fitting dentures ever , coming to your screens soon , [;)] arrdee

[quote user="arrdee"]

Now was Oscar Hold the dirtiest player to have ever played for us ? now i never saw him play he was before  my time , but my brother did he is 8 yrs older than me  , now i will not make comments on my post concerning  the old players you have asked me to speak about on less i have seen them play , i don''t make up things and i don''t tell lies , i will however tell you what my brother told  me ," Oscar Hold went out each week with the intent of maiming players , he would try to break players legs with 2 footed tackles which in those days were not even fouls , he had no interest in playing football at all , he would chin players behind the refs back , a total evil player  he got sent off lots of times , you had to nearly kill someone in those days to get sent off " as i say i never saw him play i don''t doubt my brothers account he like me never missed a thing on the field, but i cann''t comment , i will hand this one over to Ricardo who i am sure saw him play , over to you Ricardo , Now Jas you lovely young fellow you asked about Hughieeeeeee!!! as we called him , my lasting memory  of him is seeing the hardest shot i have ever seen in football , he received the ball near the dugout atacking the River end he unleashed a left foot shot that i swear to you never got more than 2 foot off the ground it hit the keepers right hand post no one had moved,  the ball rebounded to

the half way line and had to be replaced soon after , the goal posts shook for sometime ,i thought he had broken them ,  i wish it could have been timed , now on my next blaaaarst from the paaaaarst post , i will tell you one of the funniest things i have seen at Carrow rd if not indeed the funniest ever , involving Bunny Larkings torn shorts , an inebriated old woman with the worst ill fitting dentures ever , coming to your screens soon , [;)] arrdee

[/quote]

thanks Ray! oscar Hold sounds like my kind of player! a man playing a mans game! Wonder what wingers like thierry Henry and David "Mascara" Beckham would of thought of him!

jas :)

I remember Bunny Larkins shorts arrdee. Hilarious !!  I won''t spoil it for you because you can paint a picture with words. I loved the Charlie Billington tale. Had me in tears. Keep them coming !

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="arrdee"]

[/quote]

thanks Ray! oscar Hold sounds like my kind of player! a man playing a mans game! Wonder what wingers like thierry Henry and David "Mascara" Beckham would of thought of him!

jas :)

[/quote]

Jas , you lovely young man you are evil [:D] arrdee.

God how we could really do with someone like him in our softy, softy team today.

[quote user="arrdee"]

[/quote]

Ricardo , you lovely old boy are you on holiday or something . I  would love to hear more about Oscar Hold , Did you see him play ?

Just thought I would bump this while we wait for Ricardo''s input.

Ray, in my "Glorious Canaries" it say''s Oscar Hold was a Centre Forward who played 47 games for us between 1947 & 48 and scored 20 goals. His career is listed as: Regent Street Congregationals, Manchester United''A'', Barnsley, Aldershot,  Norwich City, Notts County, Chelmsford City,  Everton, QPR. Then coach/manager at March Town, Gainsborough Trinity, Wisbech Town, FA coach in Nigeria, Cambridge City, Doncaster Rovers, Fenerbache, Ankara, NSC Saudi Arabia, Apollon Cyprus and Kuwait.

A much travelled player who later coached and managed all over the world or so it seems when you have to put all his moves in chronological order. A somewhat basic description of him in the pink un of the time said "He is a forceful type and can keep at it with rare zest!"

He left Carrow Road with a goal against Notts County and they promptly signed him for £6,000. In a remarkable debut for his new side they beat Exeter 9-0 with goals from Tommy Lawton(4), Jackie Sewell (4), and Hold(1).

I reckon £6,000 was quite a fee then, can''t help but wonder how much was invested on his replacement[*-)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Just thought I would bump this while we wait for Ricardo''s input.

Ray, in my "Glorious Canaries" it say''s Oscar Hold was a Centre Forward who played 47 games for us between 1947 & 48 and scored 20 goals. His career is listed as: Regent Street Congregationals, Manchester United''A'', Barnsley, Aldershot,  Norwich City, Notts County, Chelmsford City,  Everton, QPR. Then coach/manager at March Town, Gainsborough Trinity, Wisbech Town, FA coach in Nigeria, Cambridge City, Doncaster Rovers, Fenerbache, Ankara, NSC Saudi Arabia, Apollon Cyprus and Kuwait.

A much travelled player who later coached and managed all over the world or so it seems when you have to put all his moves in chronological order. A somewhat basic description of him in the pink un of the time said "He is a forceful type and can keep at it with rare zest!"

He left Carrow Road with a goal against Notts County and they promptly signed him for £6,000. In a remarkable debut for his new side they beat Exeter 9-0 with goals from Tommy Lawton(4), Jackie Sewell (4), and Hold(1).

I reckon £6,000 was quite a fee then, can''t help but wonder how much was invested on his replacement[*-)]

[/quote]

Thanks for that Nutty , I would love to find out more about Oscar Hold . Its important to me , only Ricardo has the answer. arrdee.

Arrdee - Spoke to my father and I can confirm that Oscar was, and I quote "a dirty bleeder", he was sent off against Walsall when he fouled their centre half Reggie Foulkes (who later went on to play for City, so the experience could not have bothered him that much!!). Oscar Hold ended up as player manager of Cromer Town and my father played against him (as an aside my father also played against Reggie Foulkes), Oscar tried to rough him up which was a big mistake as he was, shall we say a rather robust player himself, first chance he got he booted Mr Hold in the air, suffice to say Oscar decided he did not want to come back for any more (he was getting on a bit by then and my father was in his twenties).

Cheers Ray, I look forward to Ricardo''s input and the tale of Bunny Larkings torn shorts.

Amazing how the game has changed from the days you describe into almost a non-contact sport today. Guess it would be ideal if it were somewhere in the middle, so the creative players can play but the referee doesn''t blow his whistle for almost every collision.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Cheers Ray, I look forward to Ricardo''s input and the tale of Bunny Larkings torn shorts.

Amazing how the game has changed from the days you describe into almost a non-contact sport today. Guess it would be ideal if it were somewhere in the middle, so the creative players can play but the referee doesn''t blow his whistle for almost every collision.

[/quote]

Yep Shack you lovely old boy , i will put Bunny Larkins torn shorts on as soon as i can , I have to gather my self becauce its ,,,, well i won''t say any more but nightmare comes to mind . I have started to worry about Ricardo , i hope the lovely old boy is alright . [H] arrdee

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="arrdee"]

[/quote]

Ricardo , you lovely old boy are you on holiday or something . I  would love to hear more about Oscar Hold , Did you see him play ?

[/quote]

Sorry Ray, I''ve been down the caravan for a few days since the weather has turned for the better and have only come back for a doctors appointment tomorrow. Then its back to the Wizards stamping ground in Lowestoft for more of that sea air.

Oscar Hold was before my time Ray. I think he last played for City before 1950. My late old work mate Bert Holmes who used to play for City in those days used to tell us that Oscar was the hardest man at Carrow Road in his time. Unfortunately folks I have no personal memory of him myself.

Sorry to break into your chat with JAS about Hughie Curran but your description of that shot that hit the post and rebounded to the halfway line brought it all back to me. I think that was in an evening match against Middlesboro. Yes it was certainly one hell of a strike but I still rate Billy Coxon as the hardest shot I''ve ever seen at Carrow Road. It was the old lace up ball they used in those days and I remember Billy taking a penalty. The keeper saved it with the most tender part of the male anatomy. I don''t think he was able to stand up for days.