Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Darel Russell

I see in the EDP today that he''s having a storming time down at Stoke. I can''t say I''m surprised at this. Although Russell could be inconsistant I always thought he had the talent to make it. I''m pleased he''s doing well at Stoke. I think everybody was pretty surprised when he went there. Without any disrespect to Stoke, it was a step down for the lad and he only went to get first team football. I don''t think he would have got it this season here and he knew that. He''s taken a gamble and I think it''s paying off.

good luck to the bloke. i always liked his attitude on the pitch when he was here but once again his choice of agent could have been better. however, in hindsight you could say he might struggle to get in the team now so maybe it was the right move for him.

Again in hindsight, but i think Worthy may wonder if he made the right move letting him go. Worthy has made lots of great moves but he can''t always be right and with an injury to Holt we would really miss Russell. Even with Holt, McVeigh''s not been the PMV we know and love most of this season, Mulryne seems to be taking lazyness lessons from Rivers, Francis had a bit of an off period midway through the season... i think we could have, and still could, use Russell to spice up the centre midfield. He had the right attitude towards the game (maybe not to the club) and i think he''s set for big things. I don''t expect him to be at Stoke for more than another season, will likely get lured to a "big" div one club lower end prem club. Perhaps we could lure him back if we go up!

What I find odd is that most people tend to agree (myself included) that our midfield hasn''t been as good as we know it can be this season. Yet we''re having our best season for ten years! Strange...

That just goes to show has solid the defence and attack is and how under-rated our midfield has been. We are all perfectionists and when comparing the three units overall it is the midfield that is the weakest area - not weak just the weakest.

It has not performed with the same consistency as the defence or with the flair of Hux up front - as such it pails in comparison. However Holt has been immense and on his quieter game Francis or Mullers have had an impact. As always the right wing has seen a variety of non descript/poor/excellent performances from all the staff played in that position whilst McVeigh and Brennan have both performed well on the left.

As far as Daryl is concerned I continue to think Worthy was right to let him go. He is not a patch on Holt and his wages freed up the signing of Francis who, despite my frustrations with him, is also a far better player overall. Daryl seems to be performing well at Stoke, and like Izzy, wish him all the best on their careers away from Norwich.

OTBC

Rusty was a whole-hearted player and showed his versatility last season as he played on right-back, in front of Daryl Sutch. He got his chance this season and made the decision right to him, he played well for Stoke BUT I believed Damien and Gary Holt will have a good battle against him.