Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

City vs West Ham - match thread

i went, chadwick was awesome in my opinion... him and marshall were the best two. As for ashton celebrating the goal - yh he did well, but as for collins and the rest of them trying 2 spur him on to celebrate! ... one of them turned his head towards our fans .... another jumped on his back and celebrated straight at us, punching his fist in the air at us.

Strihavka didnt do anything in my opinion cureton didnt get involved much apart from a neat flick into fotheringhams path. russell wasnt bad, otsemobor show signs of being a gd attacking full back. Shackell had a gd game, as did brown.

Just back from the game and very encouraged by what I saw in the 2nd half. Players I picked out were

Fozzy - worked hard, much more confident on the ball, looked super fit and did really well

Chadwick - again worked hard, never stoped running, my man of the match

Marshall - best signing we have made this summer, stopped us going 4-0 down in the first half

Russell - has come back stronger and meaner, just what we need in midfield

Finally Brown who never got a chance last season to show  what he could do- thought he played well when he came on and scored a great goal.

We still have Hucks, Brellier, Lappin and Smith to come so from what Ive seen tonight  I''m well happy!

[quote user="cityangel"]

Just back from the game and very encouraged by what I saw in the 2nd half. Players I picked out were

Fozzy - worked hard, much more confident on the ball, looked super fit and did really well

Chadwick - again worked hard, never stoped running, my man of the match

Marshall - best signing we have made this summer, stopped us going 4-0 down in the first half

Russell - has come back stronger and meaner, just what we need in midfield

Finally Brown who never got a chance last season to show  what he could do- thought he played well when he came on and scored a great goal.

We still have Hucks, Brellier, Lappin and Smith to come so from what Ive seen tonight  I''m well happy!

[/quote]

in my opinion the subs who came on croft, martin, brown and dublin did very well considering how long they were on aswell.

Come on. Lets not go overboard after 1 defeat to a pretty decent side.

It wasn''t all bad

PLUS POINTS:-Marshall looked superb (worrying that he needed to be), Shackell grew in stature and confidence during the game, Semmi is a million times better than anyone who played at right back last year, Russell pushed Marshall close for MOM, There were also lots of encouraging signs from Chadwick, Croft and Brown.

MINUS POINTS:- The Doc was shocking tonight-consistently caught watching the ball and not reacting to runners, Drury looked a yard off the pace, Hughes should be nowhere near to the first team-his touch and passing were dire, Cureton and Strihavka did not gel at all as a partnership, infact Strihavka looked way out of his depth

So good and bad points. I see no reason to panoc as long as Grant realises what worked and what didn''t. I am sure he will (won''t he)

[quote user="Jimbo_Jet_Set"]

as long as Grant realises what worked and what didn''t. I am sure he will (won''t he)

[/quote]

Wont he?  Well his ''love affair''/persistance with Andy Hughes raises the biggest question mark for me - once again highlighting why he should only ever be a sub yet virtually an ever present.  Committment is great but there has to be some sort of delivery...

Surprised more people aren''t critical of Drury. He stays way too far off his man (no choice last night, couldn''t catch the little f....fella. He hoofs when the short pass is on. So many periods of possession break down because of Drury. As for his crossing...... He''s never been up to scrathch IMO, with him, the lumbering Doc and Shackell throwing himself everywhere..... we will again leak goals.The Czech not looking too clever is he? Brown was indeed impressive. Someone thought Martin played well...... were was he?

Some random thoughts.

I thought Russell looked a bit rusty (no pun intended) to be honest but he''s only been here a day so I''m sure he''ll improve.

Otsemebor was MoM for me, looked good in defence and going forward.

Marshall made some excellent saves and will go on to become a top class keeper in my opinion. Flapped at a couple of crosses in the second half but that''s probably down to a lack of confidence in our defence.

Brown was excellent when he came on as was Croft.

Dave the Striker looked fairly good technically but never looked like threatening the goal. Hopefully the same people who have written Brown off after a handful of games will give him more time.

Our CB pairing still looks very weak. People single out Doc but I think you''ve got to look at them as a pair. Neither one of them seems willing to take responsibility for organising the defence which seems to lead to confusion and nobody knowing who should be picking up which opposition player. We need to sign a leader, a younger version of Malky would be ideal!

Overall, not bad. I doubt we''ll come up against a side as good as West Ham in The Championship this season and although we could have been 3 or 4 down by halft time we came back well in the second half.

I believe ashton got booed becoz when he left the club he said "i am going to a big club"

i think he didnt need to say that also anyone remember the crewe game he didnt want to score

players dont care about clubs or the supporters all they care about is money

thats why if i was there i would have booed to

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"]Surprised more people aren''t critical of Drury. He stays way too far off his man (no choice last night, couldn''t catch the little f....fella. He hoofs when the short pass is on. So many periods of possession break down because of Drury. As for his crossing...... He''s never been up to scratch IMO, with him, the lumbering Doc and Shackell throwing himself everywhere..... we will again leak goals.The Czech not looking too clever is he? Brown was indeed impressive. Someone thought Martin played well...... were was he? [/quote]You''re right, Drury was appalling. I didn''t go to the game, but I watched it all on broadband. We were ripped apart down both flanks, and Drury just wasn''t with the game at all. I don''t know what marking plan they''re working to, it isn''t zonal and it isn''t man-to-man, it just looks like "he''s yours". Otsemobor was so intent on getting forward that he left big holes down our right, and generally it was as if our back four was being filmed in slo-mo: they took for ever to react and I lost count of the number of times they were turned.I couldn''t see much from Fozzy last night, nor from Dave, but we need to give the new midfield and striker combinations a chance to gel. Hughes isn''t up to it - Croft was much better. Russell is great - a breath of fresh air with his commitment and his willingness to do the basics like pass-and-move and finding space. Curo''s classy, Brown''s a battering ram. Chadwick was not as influential as I''d hoped, though WHU kept the midfield packed and our guys couldn''t/didn''t find the space.But Marshall ..... superb, MoM. And that gives you the whole picture - we concede 2 goals, yet the goalie is MoM. Having said that, it was only a friendly (although played at a high tempo) and full commitment from the players will only come when the season starts. It''s just a pity that the back four are still on their holidays.

[quote user="pitch fork"]

I believe ashton got booed becoz when he left the club he said "i am going to a big club"

i think he didnt need to say that also anyone remember the crewe game he didnt want to score

[/quote]Make you mind up. You say players dont care about clubs or fans but also say Ashton didn''t want to score against Crewe. So which is it.Ashton did move to a big club. WHy shouldn''t he say so? The only reason that would annoy Norwich fans is because of some delusion we''re also a big club. We aint. And personally I''m glad, I enjoy supporting a small club.Get over it. Ashton will be one of Englands greatest ever players..... and you''ll tell your grandchildren "I saw him play"pmsl

Grant has done nout about the defence its a mess, its easy to blame the doc but to me the whole unit is not good enough. I hope  Dave does improve because he cant get no worse, I still worry about our firepower and lack of pace around the whole team, i can see mid table at best.

[/quote]

He was going to a big club in a higher division.

Do you think Crewe fans will boo him for moving up a level, he moved up a level when he left Norwich. He was never going to stay with you in the first division and your kidding yourself if you thought he was. Yes more money comes with it, but lets boo every player for leaving the championship to better themselves shall we? Ridiculous.

[quote user="foxile"]

Do you think Crewe fans will boo him for moving up a level, he moved up a level when he left Norwich. He was never going to stay with you in the first division and your kidding yourself if you thought he was. Yes more money comes with it, but lets boo every player for leaving the championship to better themselves shall we? Ridiculous.

[/quote]You''re not a City fan, you weren''t there, you know nothing about the reasons for Ashton''s reception, so please refrain from showing your ignorance.Green and Bellamy both got excellent receptions from our fans, and they both left to play at a higher level.The reason Ashton didn''t is because for the last 10 or so games he was here, he played in a lazy, disinterested way and basically threw his toys out of the pram. In contrast Green, while making no secret of the fact he wanted a Premiership move, played every minute like he was 100% Norwich, right to the end.If you can''t see the difference between those two scenarios, then I would suggest you''re ridiculous.Its the difference between a commited professional and a spoilt child. West Ham fans will find out soon enough what Dean Ashton is about. Right around the time they fail to qualify for Europe this season, if not before.No denying his skill, but his attitude stank.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="foxile"]

[/quote]

You''re not a City fan, you weren''t there, you know nothing about the reasons for Ashton''s reception, so please refrain from showing your ignorance.

Green and Bellamy both got excellent receptions from our fans, and they both left to play at a higher level.
The reason Ashton didn''t is because for the last 10 or so games he was here, he played in a lazy, disinterested way and basically threw his toys out of the pram. In contrast Green, while making no secret of the fact he wanted a Premiership move, played every minute like he was 100% Norwich, right to the end.

If you can''t see the difference between those two scenarios, then I would suggest you''re ridiculous.
Its the difference between a commited professional and a spoilt child. West Ham fans will find out soon enough what Dean Ashton is about. Right around the time they fail to qualify for Europe this season, if not before.

No denying his skill, but his attitude stank.
[/quote]

I know more about your club than you think, i spend about four months of the year in Norwich, infact i am currently in Norwich. I was in Squares last night and met up with a few old pals after the game, they are Norwich fans and they agree with me.

You played well in the second half, i watched the game as it was on in Squares, especially Croft, always thought he was a quality player, didn''t produce last season but perhaps he will this year.

Fozzys skin head really doesnt suit him! and is it me or does it look like he has perhaps enjoyed 1 bbq too many over the summer? his waste lines certainly a lot bigger than it was last season!!!

Rusty was man of the match! Best player on the pitch and even looked better than anything West Ham had out on the night too. he ran all game showed he hasnt lost the ability to tackle, head or pass and seems a far more intelligent player than he was 5 years ago...

David Marshall made some good saves....his 2nd one was super human! if that had been made in the premiership we''d see it every week.

Foxile, i was in square last night too.. with my mate Larky... did u see us?? he''s got "Larki 21" on the back of his shirt, i dont have anything on mine.. lol! if u did, next time ur in the city pop over for a chat.

jas :)

Thank u herb

i generally think people cant grasp the fact that when u pay money you  want to see players give 100%

Ashton didnt care for so many games until the Southampton game just before the transfer window opened

i agree Ashton has lots of talent and could play for England-but it doesnt stop me thinkin hes disrespectful prick coz in my eyes thats what he was,

why should i praise someone because their good-are true fan praises the players when they give 100% for the club

[/quote]

I don''t think pitchfork is denying that West Scam are a bigger club than us as in all honesty they are, even before Egbert''s millions. It is the fact that Cashton was disrespectful to us. He could have been gracious but it seemed that after nearly 6 months of little to no effort it was just the final way he could screw us.

I will never forget that game against Crewe. He missed an easier chance than he scored last nite.

Ashton will always be remembered by many supporters as a sell out who didn''t give a monkeys about Norwich City following relegation.

Ashton will always be remembered by many supporters as a sell out who didn''t give a monkeys about Norwich City following relegation.

[quote user="Marigold"]

I don''t think pitchfork is denying that West Scam are a bigger club than us as in all honesty they are, even before Egbert''s millions. It is the fact that Cashton was disrespectful to us. He could have been gracious but it seemed that after nearly 6 months of little to no effort it was just the final way he could screw us.

I will never forget that game against Crewe. He missed an easier chance than he scored last nite.

[/quote]

This needs replying to as there''s some serious revising of history going on here.

1) "Six months of little or no effort" - Absolute nonsense. I''ll give you the last month when it was obvious that he was going to be leaving in the transfer window but earlier on in the season he was our best player by a mile. I came away from some of those games thinking he was one of the few players who was actually trying his hardest. Now that may well have been because he was being watched by scouts but that''s really not the point.

2) "I will never forget that game against Crewe, he missed an easier chance than he scored last nite" - Are you seriously suggesting that he deliberately missed chances out of some sort of loyalty to Crewe? I know we''re supposed to respect other people''s opinions but if you honestly believe that then I think you''re an idiot. Also, if he''s the mercenary that you suggest he is why would he give a toss about Crewe?