Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

SPL leading the way to stop cheats - take note FA!

I can''t ever imagine the FA or the EPL being as enlightened as this but maybe they will follow the lead here taken by the SPL. This is LONG overdue and should be introduced immediately in England. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6926637.stmI guarantee as soon as it''s suggested the premier league whingers will start complaining that their cossetted darlings shouldn''t possibly be scrutinsed in this way!

I''m going to be in the minority here...but what the hell.

Does anyone think we go a little bit over the top with all this stuff about diving. Don''t get me wrong, I know happens much more in todays game than it used to but is it any more prevalent than say, shirts getting pulled at corners or cynical blocks on the half way line to stop teams breaking quickly? Nobody''s suggesting that we look at these things retrospectively, but it''s still cheating isn''t it?

Get the referees trained properly, by ex-pros who should know how to spot a dive, and keep the yellow card as punishment.

this being used in a country that splits its league in half so a team just under halfway with a european shout cant qualify for the UEFA cup if its a closely run season.

Look at last season and the team in 8th finishing with MORE POINTS than the teams above them yet still ending up in 8th, its laughable! Scotland should address that first of all.

jas :)

What about this scenario?

A player is booked retrospectively for diving. It being his second yellow, a retrospective red card is issued (and, yes, that is the plan).

However, during the game that player scores a goal, or makes a vital contribution, that affects the outcome of the game AFTER the point when he dived and should have been sent off.

It will be interesting to see how the (S)FA deal with the inevitable claims of unfairness.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Get the referees trained properly, by ex-pros who should know how to spot a dive, and keep the yellow card as punishment.

[/quote]

how many games would Hucks miss a season if the letter of the law was applied?

jas :)

About time, get it in England as soon as possible. I absolutely cannot stand cheating b******s who use their acting skills to win free kicks, penalties and even games - I have a lot of respect for referees (who would want that job?), but they don''t see it every time, and this is one thing that definitely needs sorting out....

I think we''re in a minority of two Shack - the thought of video evidence anywhere in football makes my blood run cold. How many times have you watched a ''diving'' incident on soccer saturday analysed by three different expert pundits (all ex-footballers) and all have completely different opinions on the ''dive''? Usually the ex-forward says it''s a foul and the ex-defender says it''s a blatant dive. Then there''s the issue of intent when a player hangs a foot out and pulls it out at the last moment - one person will call it a dive, the next will say a player is not obliged to jump out of the way of a challenge and has every right to clatter into the leg and ''buy'' a free-kick / penalty.

Finally, you only have to observe the complete inability of the average football manager to give a HONEST appraisal of a contentious decision - they''ll forget all the 50/50''s that go for them (the usual cliche about averaging out over the course of a season) and squeal like a stuck pig about the ignorant referee about the ONE decision that goes against them. Managers will always back up their own players no matter what the video evidence (unless it is absolutely unequivocal, which is pretty rare).

Rather than sorting out diving I fear video evidence would just be another tool to slate referees still further. Every person involved with the game, whether it be manager,player or supporter, has a vested interest in such decisions and regardless of the expert video panel outcome there will still be just as many voices screaming "I can''t believe, even with video evidence, they''ve still got such an obvious decision completely wong.....". Nothing will change imo. I know my yellow and green spectacles can influence interpretation of events sometimes!!

Video evidence should only be used in extreme circumstances e.g. the Ben Thatcher GBH incident (s!) but never to decide whether a player has dived or not. Let''s keep the debate for the pint after the game and accept that you win some and you lose some. As was, and always will be!!