Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Chris Brown

I said just after he arrived I would champion him.

Just about everyone else panned him.

I hope the boy is about to vindicate me because I certainly saw something in him.

Once he gets the confidence of regular goals and with his general play I am afraid Dave the striker will be warming the bench Czech style.

I wasn''t sure about him either way, he''s making me thinkthat he should be a 1st team starter - carry on playing the way you did last night Chris Brown and you''ll be a very important part of our plans i''m sure of that!

Still panning him.... just coz he got a couple of goals in the pre-season friendlies does not make him a good player!!!!

He was always touted as an excellent prospect up at Sunderland.  The scandal thing obviously did him no favours.

Now he is fully fit again perhaps we may start seeing some of this potential.  I certainly hope so anyway.

Brown played very well last night, showing good touches and good link up play, particularly with the equally rejuvenated Croft. Big seasons for these two so hopefully promising signs ahead.

I know u crave the attention and sadly im going to have to give you some as this is just a ridiculous post (yet again!)

The boy last nite had a superb second halve against a very strong defence and done everything that the as of yet lost ''dave the striker'' didnt do in the first halve... he held the ball up well, linked play well, particulary to lee croft and hence this is where the goal came from, a good run and cross and a good glancing header into the top corner by brown..

I wasnt the biggest fan when we signed Chris Brown, but this is a new season and last nite he would be way ahead of the czech, so please go and watch a match (and it was even on tv!) if your going to slate a player time after time

I think we all need to see that kind of performance regularly and frequently before any of us get high and mighty. I have seen encourgaging signs from Brown in the few games he''s played and appreciate that he''s been injured and not had a chance to settle, so I''m hopeful he can prove to be an excellent signing for us. However, I''d be wary of mocking his doubters after just one decent display; it''s only tempting fate.

[quote user="Smudger"]Still panning him.... just coz he got a couple of goals in the pre-season friendlies does not make him a good player!!!![/quote]But yet if he was to put in a poor performance it would mean he was crap, you can''t have it both ways Smudger.But you wouldn''t know if he''s any good would you...

[quote user="Smudger"]Still panning him.... just coz he got a couple of goals in the pre-season friendlies does not make him a good player!!!![/quote]

You obviously weren''t in attendance last night then Smudge? It''s very easy to have an opinion of a player without actually seeing them play! Those people who did see the game last night (and other pre-seasons for that), I''m sure will agree that Chris Brown looks like a new player from last season.

So why don''t you stop being so negative and get yourself a ticket to see the boy in action...then make a decision!

[quote user="Smudger"]Still panning him.... just coz he got a couple of goals in the pre-season friendlies does not make him a good player!!!![/quote]

You havent seen him play yet so how could you possibly comment!!!!!!!!

[quote user="Lincoln Canary"]I think we all need to see that kind of performance regularly and frequently before any of us get high and mighty. I have seen encourgaging signs from Brown in the few games he''s played and appreciate that he''s been injured and not had a chance to settle, so I''m hopeful he can prove to be an excellent signing for us. However, I''d be wary of mocking his doubters after just one decent display; it''s only tempting fate.[/quote]So it''s fine for people to slate him before they''ve even seen him or on the back of, er, NO bad displays, but we have to be wary of backing him on the basis or REAL evidence? People that are backing him aren''t doing so after just one decent display. I am totally with Rudolph and have backed Brown since seeing him in nearly every game he played (including v Chelsea) last season before he got injured. I think you''ll find the majority of those who have actually seen him, reckon he is going to be a very important player for us who can be the first since Iwan left to genuinely fill his boots. He''s the first Iwan type player we''ve had since he left and decent hold-up and target men are becoming harder and harder to find. Probably because it''s not the fashionable way to play but i''ll tell you this, virtually every successful team in every league in england has one.

I didnt take the easy option to write him off last season, we had not seen enough of him when fully fit to make a judgement, fair enough if Smudger et al. want to make snap decisions on players they dont watch, for me I want a bit of time to make my mind up. I think Grant is a pretty good judge of a player on the whole and he saw potential in Brown. What we always seem to overlook is the age of some of these guys and if managed and coached well they will improve.Last night Brown made a big contribution, he looks stronger and much fitter than last season. Only one half, and a lot of motivation to play for your place, but if this continues then he will do well against Championship defenders. The question is will he be able to find a consistant run of form, lets hope so.

I thought Crofty looked a lot fitter last night and fast, he made quite a big impact and will be a very good sub for us next season, not many left backs will want to face him. The final ball was still dodgy but I think there was some improvement. 

I hope we are not going to see another period of Chris Martin on the right. This is not his position and Grant must surely see this. Showed good touches last night but as has been said earlier, a concerning overall lack of pace and ability to capitalise on a quick brake.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Lincoln Canary"]I think we all need to see that kind of performance regularly and frequently before any of us get high and mighty. I have seen encourgaging signs from Brown in the few games he''s played and appreciate that he''s been injured and not had a chance to settle, so I''m hopeful he can prove to be an excellent signing for us. However, I''d be wary of mocking his doubters after just one decent display; it''s only tempting fate.[/quote]

So it''s fine for people to slate him before they''ve even seen him or on the back of, er, NO bad displays, but we have to be wary of backing him on the basis or REAL evidence?
People that are backing him aren''t doing so after just one decent display. I am totally with Rudolph and have backed Brown since seeing him in nearly every game he played (including v Chelsea) last season before he got injured.

I think you''ll find the majority of those who have actually seen him, reckon he is going to be a very important player for us who can be the first since Iwan left to genuinely fill his boots. He''s the first Iwan type player we''ve had since he left and decent hold-up and target men are becoming harder and harder to find. Probably because it''s not the fashionable way to play but i''ll tell you this, virtually every successful team in every league in england has one.
[/quote]

Sorry, I mustn''t have come across very clearly. I''m not supporting those who slate Brown in any way. I, too, think he is a very decent prospect and will prove a lot of people wrong over the coming seasons. All I''m saying is it''s not a good idea to count your chickens before they hatch. Say ''I told you so'' (if it makes you feel better) once he''s consistently proven his doubters wrong instead of crowing at ''the other camp'' on the basis of one or two good showings. There was a lot of mocking of the doom-and-gloom merchants after the first few games of last season, but it all went a bit pear-shaped after that.

I have to admit i was very pleasantly surprised by Brown last night. He was excellent, even before he scored his goal, and on this form, will be in the starting line up at Preston. As will Croft, who set up the goal superbly, and seemed lightning fast and sharp. Its early days, all the players start with a clean slate. The time to criticise is if performances drop to the level of the last two seasons indefensible efforts.

[quote user="charlies dad"]

I have to admit i was very pleasantly surprised by Brown last night. He was excellent, even before he scored his goal, and on this form, will be in the starting line up at Preston. As will Croft, who set up the goal superbly, and seemed lightning fast and sharp. Its early days, all the players start with a clean slate. The time to criticise is if performances drop to the level of the last two seasons indefensible efforts.

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more. Brown showed great strengh and impressed me straight away. Looks a different player from last season and was the pick of all the forwards on show.

Smudger - even for you this is incredibly low old chap.

Brown last night was one of two players, Croft being the other, that injected life into a team without Huckerby. If you had seen it I am pretty sure even you would have seen that he was outstanding. Had he been on the pitch the whole game he would have probably got man of the match. Like I said in my ratings (although I didn''t give any) he was man of the match in the seccond half.

As some of said he lead the line incredibly well and at times reminded you of the big old toothless wonder, but in all fairness then cleared that out of the way when he actually sped past players with ease - something that big Iwan didn''t do too often. When Dublin came on he filled the role of the seccond striker as well, looking for the flick ons, and clever passes.

This player has grown not only in strength but in all round play. He looked good last night, but as some others have said - this must be taken on into the real matches starting in ten days. Because of this I wonder how many 1st team regulars will run out against Arnhem and get as much time on the pitch as they did last night.

I thought he looked a decent player in the few games he played for us last season, I couldn''t understand why nobody wanted to give him chance.

Played well last night and, unlike Dave who looked a bit...scared. Have to give Dave a bit of time to adapt though.

We need another striker...

[quote user="GJP"]

I thought he looked a decent player in the few games he played for us last season, I couldn''t understand why nobody wanted to give him chance.

Played well last night and, unlike Dave who looked a bit...scared. Have to give Dave a bit of time to adapt though.

[/quote]

Need another striker? Let''s say dave does need time, we still have Cureton, Brown, Hux, Dion, Martin and if the worst were to happen and four strikers were to be injured we have renton (admittedly too young.) I think we should strengthen elsewhere personally

I think Brown is excellent and will be a powerful striker this season. Also, I love the dexterity of Drury despite criticism from some. Marshall reminds me of Yashin and I''m in awe of him already. Crofty should be pushing for an England place on this performance. Russell has simply grown leaps and bounds since his first stint with us. Cureton had a quiet night but was under strict instructions from Granty to study the seams best to employ pace with the new players we have.

Of course, all of these things are simply going on in my head but I simply wanted to express my equal rights to offer observations of nonsense based on no information, such as Smudger and Cluck do continuously. There! I feel better now. I think I''ll creates a performance for Hughes next that will have a Premiership club offering us 10 million for him. Now I''ll lie down.

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Need another striker? Let''s say dave does need time, we still have Cureton, Brown, Hux, Dion, Martin and if the worst were to happen and four strikers were to be injured we have renton (admittedly too young.) I think we should strengthen elsewhere personally

[/quote]

We''ve got Brown and Cureton. Hucks is best for us wide left. It''s too early to rely on Martin and it''s too late to rely on Dion. And as for Dave, we''ve got no idea yet what he''s going to turn out like so can''t rely on him.

I''d want another centreback first but I really think another good striker is needed.

brown didn''t have the physical strength to outdo defenders last season - he seemed a one-trick pony, holding up without feeding effectively, or turning and shooting either wide or against the defenders legs.  no instinctive reactions either. predictable.  however, with natural physical improvement he could the next hulse or iwan.  i thought he might need another year yet, but by the sounds of it, the boy is maturing leaps and bounds - could be a live threat for us this season.  inany event - should get better. granty said brown was a raw talent on signing, but on these showings he must be very pleased with what he''s seen. 

[quote user="cityangel"]

You havent seen him play yet so how could you possibly comment!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

CA I agree with you as im sure everybody else on here does as well (except a certain few). Replying to SMUDGER will only give him an excuse to come back and post negative drivel that quite frankly isnt needed.

I''m not getting carried away with Brown, he has a long way to go and needs to have the desire, however, whilst he was being roundly criticised for his football after arriving here last season (and after all he is a young man who arrived under a cloud  and committed the sin of not illuminating Carrow Road immediately) I thought he had a bit about him. He seemed gutsy enough and had all the physical attributes. Yes, his first touch needed to improve and his confidence had to build.

But this was also a player a manager like Grant might polish up and turn into another Roberts (the comparisons are not lost).

I have decided to put some faith in young Brown and would be delighted to be vindicated.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

I''m not getting carried away with Brown, he has a long way to go and needs to have the desire, however, whilst he was being roundly criticised for his football after arriving here last season (and after all he is a young man who arrived under a cloud  and committed the sin of not illuminating Carrow Road immediately) I thought he had a bit about him. He seemed gutsy enough and had all the physical attributes. Yes, his first touch needed to improve and his confidence had to build.

But this was also a player a manager like Grant might polish up and turn into another Roberts (the comparisons are not lost).

I have decided to put some faith in young Brown and would be delighted to be vindicated.

[/quote]indeed rude old - young brown has largely has been ignored as a factor for this season by most supporters - hardly figuring in their first 11 (or even bench) line-up predictions.  even when said brown said pre-season he aimed to push forward and claim a starting berth - this passed almost unnoticed without comment - perhaps the lack of spotlight glare has helped him to prepare quietly and seriously to prove us all wrong.