Sign in to follow this  
Cobain18

Ashton

I honestly think that some ppl on here are being too harsh on Ashton. At the game he was getting booed all the time and yet when he scored he did not celebrate or goad the fans, you could clearly see that he was not happy at having scored AGAINST Norwich. He also said that if it wasn''t for the lure of the premiership that he would never have left Norwich.

I understand that some ppl think that Ashton was not trying his hardest in the championship with us, but i just don''t think he was matchfit and that after what he did for Crewe everybody expected too much from him. For Crewe he just had to stand close to goal and wait for the ball, his ONLY job was to score that''s all Crewe demanded from him, for us he had to contribute in all areas so that we were not conceding at the other end - because he had to do more work for us, he was never going to score as many for us as he did for Crewe but that was to our benefit as we didn''t concede as many.

Thats just my opinion and I think that Ashton has been unfairly treated, he still holds this club in high regard and moved because he had the chance to play at a higher level (same reason he moved from Crewe to Norwich.)  

Was his peroxide hair colour a disguise [H] so he hoped we wouldnt recognise him and give him booing?

Or has he chosen to look like that?  [:$] (or did he lose some bet?)

I agree. He''s such a quality player it would have been rude for him not be playing in the premiership.

He was our star player during the premiership season and almost inspired us to a miracle escape. He didnt play that great in the championship sure but lets be honest, the whole club was still on a down from the 6-0 to which i think we are only just starting to recover. Also, people forget he signed a new deal with us when we went down, can''t imagine that happens a lot and this at least went towards earning the club a bigger profit when he did leave. He also came to quite a few norwich games while being injured and has continually been very respectful of us in the media. Sure to be England striker with a soft spot for norwich, not the worst publicity!

Im saddened the goodwill hasn''t been shown both ways, hopefully he wont take tuesdays booing to heart as id love to see him as the next jamie cureton one day, haha!

Great player, Great professional, Great gentleman. Respect please!

agreed! i got into a discussion about Ashton at the game with some chap, he said Ashton Screwed us over yet sat there applauding Green and Bellamy at every touch!

Dean Ashton said that he wanted to leave, he didnt beat about the bush like Safri, he didnt sign a "release clause" on his first day at the club like "heroe''s" Eboohoo and Earnie did (both swelling their mercenary pockets at the same time).

Had we of not of been spiralling downwards at the time under Worthington Dean Ashton would of stayed.. would u stay at a mid table championship side going nowhere, or move on to bigger and better things. Dean ashton left us and scored in a cup final, got called up to the England side and despite the events of recent weeks is still a premiership player with West ham (for the time being).

We made a huge profit on him, we didnt on Earnshaw, we almost stayed up thanks to the goals from Ashton... we never even looked like going up under Earnshaw! ok so maybe Ashton wanted out but he had said publically he did.

He''s a young man wanting the best from his career and rightly so. Dean Ashtons football career could end tommorow.... he could play till he is 40, but then he could live to be 100... he needs money to keep him and his relatives comfortable. and no one on here cant say they would stay at their job if they had the chance to move to another one which pays more and has better prospects! if anyone says that they are lying!

I applauded Ashton the other night and wish him all the best. i hope he goes on to do really well in his career and we should all look back and be proud that Norwich City helped him attain the level he is currently at.

People need to get over this "you should play for us forever!" Mentality that leads to players being hated when they leave.

jas :)

Ashton in the Championship was a disgrace for us.  I remember at Plymouth away - he went down as if he''d been shot, immediately signalled to come off.  Neil Reynoids NCFC Physio had to virtually push him back on the pitch.  There was no injury - he just wanted to protect himself.  The rest is history.  I have no time for Ashton.  I have to be honest and say I was quite pleased when he broke his ankle just after his England call up.  What goes around, comes around.

P.S Green gave us service

''I think'' bellars did/does care about the club

As for Dickson and Earnie, obviously again ''little norwich'' is a cynical stepping stone to 3 times the cash.  Sadly that''s the way football is now.  I hope they both fail miserably... 

[quote user="Keith Roads"]

Ashton in the Championship was a disgrace for us.  I remember at Plymouth away - he went down as if he''d been shot, immediately signalled to come off.  Neil Reynoids NCFC Physio had to virtually push him back on the pitch.  There was no injury - he just wanted to protect himself.  The rest is history.  I have no time for Ashton.  I have to be honest and say I was quite pleased when he broke his ankle just after his England call up.  What goes around, comes around.

As for Dickson and Earnie, obviously again ''little norwich'' is a cynical stepping stone to 3 times the cash.  Sadly that''s the way football is now.  I hope they both fail miserably... 

[/quote]

That actually sickens me - the guy''s a human being whatever you say, and the fact is Norwich when we were relegated were on such a downer we were mainly reliant on any goals Ashton could score.

Yes his hair looked a mess didnt it and hes put on a bit of weight.

As for holding this club in high regard I dont think so!!!!!!

I only think ex players should get booed if the manner in which they left was unprofessional.At the end of the day, people want to progress and earn more money - the same in any job.  So slating players for leaving the club to go to the next level, or because they are unhappy/not getting the games - why shouldn''t they leave.Agreed, it''s a little different in footy when you put faith in a player, but there are plenty of players out there!  

God theres some small minded people on here, thats what gives Norfolk the reputation it has with the rest of the country.

I''ve supported Norwich all my life, but had I been a player, I''d have been gone in a second once we struggled under Worthy in the championship. The ones who stayed, stayed because no body wanted them!!

You think that displays loyalty? You know nothing.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

agreed! i got into a discussion about Ashton at the game with some chap, he said Ashton Screwed us over yet sat there applauding Green and Bellamy at every touch!

[/quote]

There is a big difference green & bellamy gave 100% every time they played and neither jumped ship at the first available opportunity both of them could have left for a bigger club maybe 2/3 seasons before they did. But they didn''t they stayed for as long as they could because they cared about the club.

And another thing this idea that footballers need to maximise what they earn in thier careers because they have to retire in thier mid 30''s is a nonsense these days, when you earn £20,000 a week playing for a championship side you do not need to move to the premiership for money that is just greed!

I have no problem with players wanting to play at the highest level, we all want to better ourselves in any walk of life,  but i DO have a problem with players not giving their all for the club and fans who pay them. And the truth of the matter is that Ashton just did not do that in his last few months with us!

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="Keith Roads"]

[/quote]

That actually sickens me - the guy''s a human being whatever you say, and the fact is Norwich when we were relegated were on such a downer we were mainly reliant on any goals Ashton could score.

[/quote]

Ok Ashton breakng his ankle was unfortunate for the player - but it was part of his job when it happened.  However playing for Norwich when fit eg West Ham cup game and the Plymouth game I quoted - was also part of paid job for Norwich

Playing under a numpty like Worthington for any number of more years , or even months, could have stifled the potential career of Dean Ashton.

If Norwich bever got the best out of Ashton, it was because Worthington was a totally inept manager.

Ashton did the right thing by moving to West Ham.

It''s a pity the board didn''t do the right thing and change the manager far earlier.

The fact people jeered Ashton and cheered Bellers and Greeno meant that they don''t have sour grapes when someone leaves a club, they probably felt that he didn''t bother at all for much of the Championship season and then decided to jump ship. It''s your own opinion whether you like/dislike or jeer/cheer Ashton, but at least respect those with different opinions. Someone used the word "narrow-minded" in this thread, I think that''s more suited to the people who wont accept varied opinions on Ashton.

Selling Ashton was the probably the best bit of business Worthless ever done for us ( apart from buying Hux) I mean 7.5 mil for a guy who only had one season experience in the championship and only club he had ever played for before was Crew.

Re Green, it''s worth remembering he could have played the last few games of the season but choose not too to be sure not to get injured before the world cup. Of course as we all know it didn''t work out for him.However he could have played for NCFC but choose not to. Still the bloke is a legend in my book - I''m sure he could have kicked up a fuss and left years before he did go but he didn''t. Greeno = Canary LegendBellers = Legend, another who didn''t say he wanted to go but was sold anyway to balance the books.People who don''t need to bother coming back for instance are Townsend and Francis.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]So we have to hold Ashton in high esteem but at the same time slaughter Safri!!, we are told neither wanted to play for Norwich City FC so why treat them differently?[/quote]

safri disrespected the club, at least ashton never turned up late, never missed a photo shoot did he?! no ashton didnt want to play for norwich, but at least he didnt force his way out of the club.

[quote user="Keith Roads"]

Ashton in the Championship was a disgrace for us.  I remember at Plymouth away - he went down as if he''d been shot, immediately signalled to come off.  Neil Reynoids NCFC Physio had to virtually push him back on the pitch.  There was no injury - he just wanted to protect himself.  The rest is history. 

[/quote]

I was also at that Plymouth game Keith and I agree with everything you say. To put Ashtons performance that day into perspective for those who weren''t there - Thorne replaced him in the 81st minute and put in more effort and showed more commitment and won more balls in those last 10 minutes than Ashton had in the previous 81.

I am not one to slag players who are at the club or who have left the club, I have refrained from commenting on Safri the last few days because we don''t have all the facts to hand. But that day at Plymouth I witnessed what happened with my own eyes and I never held Ashton in the same regard afterwards.

At the end of the day, for whatever reason, after 2004 we seemed to end up with a lot of players who didn''t put the club first. Whether this was bad management or a symptom of todays game I don''t know. I guess it could be a bit of both. But what I see now is Grant addressing this problem bigtime. I''m impressed and I believe that if we ened up with a squad of players who want to play for us then this season has to be an improvement on the last two.

[quote user="Brandon"]

The fact people jeered Ashton and cheered Bellers and Greeno meant that they don''t have sour grapes when someone leaves a club, they probably felt that he didn''t bother at all for much of the Championship season and then decided to jump ship. It''s your own opinion whether you like/dislike or jeer/cheer Ashton, but at least respect those with different opinions. Someone used the word "narrow-minded" in this thread, I think that''s more suited to the people who wont accept varied opinions on Ashton.

[/quote]

I can accept varied opinions on Ashton, I am describing the opinion that he''s greedy for leaving a sinking club as ''narrow minded''.

Not producing the goods in the Championship would not have earned him the move to West Ham or earned us the 4 million profit, the team was awful at the time, week in week out he carried us. If a serious offer would have come in for Green from the premiership, at any time in his career, he would have gone, it didn''t & when one did come he went. Some people are in a dream world, & can''t see a footballers side of it.

He was simply too good for us, we nobody biut ourself to blame for him leaving.....If we''d of built the team around him and spent well when we got relegated he would still be playing for us now.....

IN THE PREMIERSHIP!

I will always remember him as a norwich legend and nothing else.