Sign in to follow this  
eldrich canary

Shax at fault against West Ham

I just watched the goals from West Ham via youtube and it looks to me that Shacks was the one at fault not Doc. This is now a concern for me since Shax is now captain it''ll be harder to drop him to play Doc + Dion or Doc + New CD.Watch the video and I think it''s quite clear that the 2nd goal at least is made from a pass that go between Shax and Drury and by the time Doc gets involved it''s already too late as Shax/Drury have already been passed.

He''s a footballer and is bound to make mistakes now and then. If he was perfect he wouldn''t be playing for Norwich!

Well I haven''t seen the highlights so you may have to correct me here but were there not three or four good chances before the first goal?

The first goal was down to Doc and Otsemobor, the seccond you say is down to Shax and Drury? So far as I remember the seccond goal came from an almost scuffed shot with Shax desperately diving in at the last moment because both he and Drury had gone with two players to the near post - no one had tracked Ashton with Doherty standing somewhere nearer the back post.

Forgive me if I am wrong but you should be looking for the player that wasn''t marking anyone.

Also if the highlights are on the net please share the link, cheers!

True if he was perfect he would be playing for someone else, but what annoys me is that people slagged off Doc for the goals and said we need a new partner for Shax but when I watch it it seems like Doc is caught out because Shax/Drury don''t deal with it in the first place and Doc is in two minds as to wether to cover for a hot or for a cross. Seemed a bit unfair on Doc to me to single him out for the cause of the goals.

Shax was ORIGINALLY at fault for the goal, why Docherty decided tha instead of sticking to his man (Ashton who scored the goal,) he''d go and run to stand on the goal line i''ll never understand, it was clear that by standing on the goal line he effectively took himself out of the game, so both centre backs could have done better 

I think a lot of the problems stemmed on the right hand side due to Ostembor being caught out

after his forward forrays.  He did not show that much defensive ability for me, and looked like he

either needs to develop far more discipline, or be used as part of a back 5. Can see us conceeding

early season goals due to this unless Grant sorts it quickly.  Guess that it will take a while

for the full back - centre back - winger understandings to get sorted out regarding defensive

cover, and this will not be helped if the centre back and winger are occupied by different players for rest of

pre-season and early season games.

notice how dean Ashton deosnt celebrate after his goal.

says all that needs to be said.. he holds us in high regard still.

jas :)

This just bears out what some of us have been saying to the gingerist crowd on here[*-)][;)]. There''s no difference between our centrebacks. They are as good[Y] or as bad[N] as eachother depending on your viewpoint. I believe that Doherty and Shackell are a decent enough pair but there will be no excuses this year with a good goalkeeper behind them. All defenders at all  levels make mistakes. I believe some of the mistakes would disappear if we get the chance to play the same back four for a decent run of games. Because we have been so poor defensively the last couple of seasons fans seem to be scrutinising certain players and looking for mistakes seems to be the order of the day, howabout a clean slate for the new season, howabout a bit of wait and see.

Was interesting watching on Setanta, with the two commentators enthusing over the match throughout, saying it was a proper football match, played like a Cup match and not a pre-season friendly. They also pointed out several times during the first half, and well before the first goal was scored, that Norwich''s defence did not have support from midfield, and were often left isolated, which is presumably the job that Brellier will have. Its too easy to point the finger at Doc or Shack, but they are often left marking two or three players.

Looking at the goal the defence was caught out by a quick free kick. I would not rteally blame the goal on Shackell or Drury. The right back and The Doc were sitting so deep they made it easy. I personally believe they should have stepped up to catch him off side.