Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

Nothing has changed? - I don't agree

I sense the beginnings of a new momentum.  It''s hard to pin down, but there seems to be a competitive instinct that was lacking before.

I''ve no direct evidence, but based on Mick Dennis''s piece on Waghorn''s site it sounds as though Delia and Michael have taken a back seat and Andrew and Sharon are starting to kick ass.  When Andrew said that "the club should not run at a loss" it was a statement of the obvious and I''d have felt more confident if he''d added "nor should it make a profit at the expense of footballing achievement", but it''s early days.  Judging by the speed with which Etuhu was replaced, someone at the club apart from Darren Huckerby at last seems to realise that if we don''t snap up players quickly, our competitors will. 

Having said all that, major damage has already been done.  We''re back to where we were in 2001 and in the meantime football has moved on.  But we have to start somewhere.  I know next to nothing about the players Peter Grant has brought in, but I''m not impressed by "names" and will approach this season with an open mind.  It''s seven in, seven out so far so the squad still needs to be a bit bigger to survive and challenge, but if we were in the top ten for most of  the season I''d start to feel we were going in the right direction. 

I won''t be investing in a season ticket because I want to stay fresh and enthusiastic.  The most committed fan gets jaded sometimes even when things are going well, and would benefit from giving it a miss without feeling disloyal or resentful about losing out financially.  Turning up because you''ve paid in advance rather than because you want to be there does nothing for the atmosphere and is not what supporting your team is all about.  But I''m starting to look forward to going to CR again.

Seven in Seven Out ?  It may aswell have been 7 in, 2 out, for all the first team matches that 5 of them played.  The 7 are also going to get a full pre-season too.Watching this seasons'' transfer activity unfold, and comparing it to last seasons, I can see the difference between a club that is attempting to compete and one that was happy plodding along with what they had.  Whether that is because the board have loosened the purse strings a bit to bring players in, or whether the new manager is better at identifying targets, I don''t know, probably a bit of both. As an outsider looking in, I get the sense that everybody is working together now to produce the best possible team, we didn''t have that last year.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Seven in Seven Out ?  It may aswell have been 7 in, 2 out, for all the first team matches that 5 of them played.  The 7 are also going to get a full pre-season too.

Watching this seasons'' transfer activity unfold, and comparing it to last seasons, I can see the difference between a club that is attempting to compete and one that was happy plodding along with what they had.  Whether that is because the board have loosened the purse strings a bit to bring players in, or whether the new manager is better at identifying targets, I don''t know, probably a bit of both. As an outsider looking in, I get the sense that everybody is working together now to produce the best possible team, we didn''t have that last year.

[/quote]

very good point also the youngsters are a little older and have more experience than before

Great post mystic, can''t fault that at all.

Was talking to a couple of mates before going to lowestoft tuesday and we were saying the same.

It will be nice going to carra looking forward to the games (at least initially, i''m happy to admit I don''t know how this season will pan out!) rather than becuase i "have too" like last season.

It''ll be nice to make the effort to get out early for a beer or two, rather than leaving it as late as possible and viewing the game as almost an ''interuption'' to my weekend.

Last season was poor, as was the one before. However I feel like you that there seems to be a bit of passion and desire around at the minute and that''s what i want to see.

[quote user="blacko"][quote user="blahblahblah"]Seven in Seven Out ?  It may aswell have been 7 in, 2 out, for all the first team matches that 5 of them played.  The 7 are also going to get a full pre-season too.

Watching this seasons'' transfer activity unfold, and comparing it to last seasons, I can see the difference between a club that is attempting to compete and one that was happy plodding along with what they had.  Whether that is because the board have loosened the purse strings a bit to bring players in, or whether the new manager is better at identifying targets, I don''t know, probably a bit of both. As an outsider looking in, I get the sense that everybody is working together now to produce the best possible team, we didn''t have that last year.

[/quote]

very good point also the youngsters are a little older and have more experience than before

[/quote]

quite right, the only way the younguns cam improve is by playing matches, be it here or on loan. the experiance some of them have picked up will be valuable in the coming campaign!

jas :)

Whether you are optimistic or not a lot has changed.  The inept midfield set up ( Ethuhu and Robinson gone)has changed radically and we now have more options up front.  Whether these are better only time will tell but they cannot be any worse.  At least we have done something about the goalkeeper situation.  I guess I would like to see at least one good central defender, another left back and a new permanent central midfielder before I felt really happy.

[quote user="blacko"]nothing has changed.....................England have just had a batting collapse[/quote]

lol yes, and a good ol'' fashioned one at that.