Sign in to follow this  
The Penguin

Hendrie joins Sheffield Utd on a free !

Blahx3 - As you know past glories are no guarantee of future success. If we were in the Czech league then you could point to his goal record as evidence, but he is a young lad coming to a new country and playing in a different sort of league where football is more physical and played at a higher tempo. Unless you can see into the future nobody can say with any certainty that he will be anything. For the record I think that he is a good signing and I hope that he adapts quickly and scores a few for us.

Do we really need a person like this in our squad ?

In June 2003, Hendrie received a 12-month driving ban for M40 drink-driving, when he passed a police car over the speed limit on the M40. It was subsequently found that he was 1.5 times over the limit, and banned for twelve months. This was after a June 2000 incident, when Hendrie vowed to become teetotal during the football season after receiving a three-month international ban after breaking a team curfew with the England under-21.[5]

On 21 August 2005 he assaulted Jamie May in Solihull. He was subsequently convicted on 3 March 2006 and ordered to serve 60 hours of community service.

He played for England ONCE. 

Once again smudger shows his lack of football knowledge by trying to compare two players who dont even play in the same position, and one who is coming to the end of his career and one who is really coming into his best years. How on earth can you say that Hendrie is ten times the player that Stivahka will ever be, oh thats right YOU CANT!!!

I''d have taken Hendrie if offered, I''d also take Bowyer.As it is, I''m happy at the moment we what we''ve brought in. I think Huckerby will have more room to roam, and with Brellier at the back and more attacking options, games will start to fall our way.  Injuries permitting, I think we might surprise a few this season.

[quote user="ricky knight"]George Best and Tony Adams did time for drink problems make them bad players did it, i dont think so.[/quote]

Yes, but you''d accept these players because they were world class footballers, Lee Hendrie doesnt quite come into the same league as either of those two. Also they had drink problems, they didnt get convicted of assualting people aswell.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="megson"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="megson"]

Yes but he''s a free so would just be another journeyman bargain basement player.

Wouldn''t he?

Oh no silly me, he''s gone to another club on a free which makes him a good player.

If they come to norwich on a free they are useless.

Yes i get it now.

[/quote]

Lee Hendrie is PROVEN quality and to suggest otherwise is imo is silly. I personally think he would of been perfect to give the club that much needed big name signing almost like huckerby when we got him.

[/quote]

To be honest Arthur that wasn''t really aimed at you, and I agree he does have a decent record.

However it is impossible and unrealistic to sign only proven players. Everyone has to start their career, or english career somewhere so why not here?

One of my biggest frustrations with worthy was his incessant use of poor loans, and lack of scouting. It has been far to long since we ''found'' a good player from either the lower leagues, or abroad (or even Scotland!). THe fact that we are doing this again is a positive, and i simply cannot view it any other way.

Its a reality for a club like us that a good and wide ranging scouting network is vital, our survival is based much much more on finding younger players developing a career than picking up guys that are coming towards the end of their time in the game.

[/quote]

I couldnt agree with you more about finding young talent but i was suggesting that a player of Hendries quality would of been just the tonic for the club,board and supporters alike.it would of gave an element of feel good factor, albeit an expensive one but with his quality i feel it would of been worth that risk.

[/quote]

Would I have been happy to see him here? Probably.

My concern is that he seems to be turning into a stick to beat the board with, which is nonsensical.

We have no idea what so ever if Gunn, or Duffy or Grant rang his agent, or the player himself to pitch the idea to him and got turned down. Turned down for one of a dozen reasons that we as a club have little impact on.

Or maybe he wanted more in wages than Grant wanted to give him out of his budget, or maybe Grant thought he could find someone better, or maybe Grant just didn''t fancy him at all.

Hendrie is a player and so the decision on whether he comes here or not will be Grant''s in the first instance, and its unfair for some posters to hold up this one, single player, as some kind of failing by board/club/manager in the midst of all the things that HAVE been done right recently.

Again I largely agree with your points (though I think the feel good would of been much lower than with Hucks) I just question if we need a thread to discuss why this particular free agent has gone elsewhere, and to (for some people) attempt to cause ill feeling.

But he is still a proven high class performer and not a gamble imo, thats my point a billy nomark without experience at this level is a gamble. As for the assault i am not privey to the facts of it so i wont judge  but we all make mistakes, i know i have but it does not make me better or worse at doing my job.

[quote user="Shyster"]

I''m very suprised a Championship side didn''t snap him up sooner - wish it''d been us.

The acquisition of young Jimmy Smith is fairly tasty, but I do fear that it''s far too early for short-term loans and naturally I''d have much prefered the permanent signing of a more experienced player with bigger b**ls such as Hendrie.

None of us know how the season''s going to pan out with our new signings and stating that we''ll improve on previous seasons is pie in the sky, but I''m adamant that players such as Hendrie & Bowyer would''ve offered a degree of certainty where success is concerned.

Still - nothing to be overly negative about - Etuhu has immediately been replaced and Smith can do no worse.

[/quote]

Shyster , you lovely old boy , the only certainty Hendrie and Bowyer would have offered us was a red card , trying to hold onto a match with nine players , sounds lovely dosen''t it ?  [:O] arrdee

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]so from what I can see on this board if you post an opinion that has no basis in fact (Dave Strika will be brilliant/Dave Strika will be crap)[/quote]

Dave Striker was the top scorer in the czech league last season. I would consider that positive opinions have that fact as a basis for their position. Grant and Duffy were surprised that they got him, expecting him to go to a Premiership team instead, or one of the bigger clubs in his home country.  Trusting the managers'' word and the statistics from the Czech league is a bad thing ?

Lee Hendrie could turn out to be worse for the Blades than Dave is for us, very easily.  Or vice versa.  But it''s good that we are scouting  in Europe, looking for and signing the best available talent, isn''t it ?
[/quote]

Lee Hendrie is TEN TIMES the player that Stivahka will ever be!!!

A player that has played at international level

Have not seen the Czech manager knocking on Strivahka''s door as yet have you???

[/quote]

I''m glad you have seen him play, damm thought he was going to be a good player. I''m not going to watch us play now, fancy my season ticket?

Anyway Hendrie international level? yes give him his dues about 1 game, but then he has not been a regular at villa in a few years so that makes him a hundred times better than Dave Striker dun it? who is actually nearing a call up in the Czezh squad.

You really don''t know what you are talking about do you bluenose.

[quote user="megson"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="megson"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="megson"]

Yes but he''s a free so would just be another journeyman bargain basement player.

Wouldn''t he?

Oh no silly me, he''s gone to another club on a free which makes him a good player.

If they come to norwich on a free they are useless.

Yes i get it now.

[/quote]

Lee Hendrie is PROVEN quality and to suggest otherwise is imo is silly. I personally think he would of been perfect to give the club that much needed big name signing almost like huckerby when we got him.

[/quote]

To be honest Arthur that wasn''t really aimed at you, and I agree he does have a decent record.

However it is impossible and unrealistic to sign only proven players. Everyone has to start their career, or english career somewhere so why not here?

One of my biggest frustrations with worthy was his incessant use of poor loans, and lack of scouting. It has been far to long since we ''found'' a good player from either the lower leagues, or abroad (or even Scotland!). THe fact that we are doing this again is a positive, and i simply cannot view it any other way.

Its a reality for a club like us that a good and wide ranging scouting network is vital, our survival is based much much more on finding younger players developing a career than picking up guys that are coming towards the end of their time in the game.

[/quote]

I couldnt agree with you more about finding young talent but i was suggesting that a player of Hendries quality would of been just the tonic for the club,board and supporters alike.it would of gave an element of feel good factor, albeit an expensive one but with his quality i feel it would of been worth that risk.

[/quote]

Would I have been happy to see him here? Probably.

My concern is that he seems to be turning into a stick to beat the board with, which is nonsensical.

We have no idea what so ever if Gunn, or Duffy or Grant rang his agent, or the player himself to pitch the idea to him and got turned down. Turned down for one of a dozen reasons that we as a club have little impact on.

Or maybe he wanted more in wages than Grant wanted to give him out of his budget, or maybe Grant thought he could find someone better, or maybe Grant just didn''t fancy him at all.

Hendrie is a player and so the decision on whether he comes here or not will be Grant''s in the first instance, and its unfair for some posters to hold up this one, single player, as some kind of failing by board/club/manager in the midst of all the things that HAVE been done right recently.

Again I largely agree with your points (though I think the feel good would of been much lower than with Hucks) I just question if we need a thread to discuss why this particular free agent has gone elsewhere, and to (for some people) attempt to cause ill feeling.

[/quote]

Agreed its all by the by now anyway.

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="Shyster"]

I''m very suprised a Championship side didn''t snap him up sooner - wish it''d been us.

The acquisition of young Jimmy Smith is fairly tasty, but I do fear that it''s far too early for short-term loans and naturally I''d have much prefered the permanent signing of a more experienced player with bigger b**ls such as Hendrie.

None of us know how the season''s going to pan out with our new signings and stating that we''ll improve on previous seasons is pie in the sky, but I''m adamant that players such as Hendrie & Bowyer would''ve offered a degree of certainty where success is concerned.

Still - nothing to be overly negative about - Etuhu has immediately been replaced and Smith can do no worse.

[/quote]

Shyster , you lovely old boy , the only certainty Hendrie and Bowyer would have offered us was a red card , trying to hold onto a match with nine players , sounds lovely dosen''t it ?  [:O] arrdee

[/quote]

Rather be one or two nil up by the time Hendrie/Bowyer is sent off than one nil up with a couple of minutes to go when Doherty climbs all over the opposition to give away a penalty and two points, arrdee. [;)]

And even if Hendrie/Bowyer received ten reds in a season they''d still wind up playing more games than Safri. [:D]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="arrdee"][quote user="Shyster"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Rather be one or two nil up by the time Hendrie/Bowyer is sent off than one nil up with a couple of minutes to go when Doherty climbs all over the opposition to give away a penalty and two points, arrdee. [;)]

And even if Hendrie/Bowyer received ten reds in a season they''d still wind up playing more games than Safri. [:D]

[/quote]

Yep Shyster you are a sweet old boy one of the lovely old boys , you do make a good point or two, so i conceed to you ,well done , its not often i give ground but you have it right . [:S] arrdee.

I wouldn''t have thought we were ever in the hunt for Hendrie and I''m not particularly disappointed. If we had the chance to get Bowyer here and Grant was interested then I think it would be a good signing. Grant knows the player and Grant won''t bring in a player that would be to the detriment of our team. I have been totally won over by Peter Grant and I might add the people who had the foresite to get him here. Our club is going places again, it may take a couple of seasons but the improvement and momentum has already started.

With the possible signing of Dyer from Newcastle it seems Bowyer might be on the move!

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/07/19/manual_134254.html&TEAMHD=soccer