Sign in to follow this  
The Penguin

Hendrie joins Sheffield Utd on a free !

Absolutely Penguin.... we should of been in there for him... but then again he would not of looked twice at us in the current mess we are in anyhow!!!

[quote user="Smudger"]Absolutely Penguin.... we should of been in there for him... but then again he would not of looked twice at us in the current mess we are in anyhow!!![/quote]

Now you are winding me up a touch, you think we unlimited cash to compete for the signing of every half decent player, how deluded is that?

get this into your head, most players couldn''t give a toss about the state of the team / club etc, if they offer them the right sort of sweet moola then they are interested.

[quote user="Smudger"]Absolutely Penguin.... we should of been in there for him... but then again he would not of looked twice at us in the current mess we are in anyhow!!![/quote]

Ring ring......ring ring......ring ring

"Hello, Lee Hendrie speaking"

"Hello, it''s Smudger here. Would you have considered joining Norwich if they were interested in you?"

"I wouldn''t have looked twice at them in the current state they''re in"

"Cheers Lee, I''ll put that on the PinkUn message board. I mean, it wouldn''t be like me to just make stuff up"

Is that how gauged Lee Hendrie''s opinion on our current state Smudge?

I tell you what, Smudger has a point here.  I mean that Hoe-say Moronio''s a lovely bloke, with his meditteranean good looks and wit, and he seems to be a good judge of a football club, what with winning the Champions League with Porto and the Premiership twice with the Chelseas, and I reckon there''s no way he''d let an England Under 19 international and captain of his reserve team, an attacking midfielder who scored 6 goals in 22 championship games last season on loan to QPR, come to us in the current state we''re in.Oh. Wait a minute...

[quote user="The Penguin"]

Lee Hendrie has joined Sheffield Utd,

think he could have done  great job for us.

[/quote]

Pity

Obviously he was too big a name for us (even on a free).

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I tell you what, Smudger has a point here.  I mean that Hoe-say Moronio''s a lovely bloke, with his meditteranean good looks and wit, and he seems to be a good judge of a football club, what with winning the Champions League with Porto and the Premiership twice with the Chelseas, and I reckon there''s no way he''d let an England Under 19 international and captain of his reserve team, an attacking midfielder who scored 6 goals in 22 championship games last season on loan to QPR, come to us in the current state we''re in.

Oh. Wait a minute...
[/quote]

Big Smile [:D] Quality stuff blah![:D]

Thats so right. Poor Lee Hendrie, wanting to go to Norwich but put off by the squabbling on the forum pages of a provincial messageboard! Club in dire straits! Baliffs at door! Earthquake! Tornado alert! Imminent liquidation, no wonder he didn''t want to join us!

Yes but he''s a free so would just be another journeyman bargain basement player.

Wouldn''t he?

Oh no silly me, he''s gone to another club on a free which makes him a good player.

If they come to norwich on a free they are useless.

Yes i get it now.

I''m very suprised a Championship side didn''t snap him up sooner - wish it''d been us.

The acquisition of young Jimmy Smith is fairly tasty, but I do fear that it''s far too early for short-term loans and naturally I''d have much prefered the permanent signing of a more experienced player with bigger b**ls such as Hendrie.

None of us know how the season''s going to pan out with our new signings and stating that we''ll improve on previous seasons is pie in the sky, but I''m adamant that players such as Hendrie & Bowyer would''ve offered a degree of certainty where success is concerned.

Still - nothing to be overly negative about - Etuhu has immediately been replaced and Smith can do no worse.

[quote user="megson"]

Yes but he''s a free so would just be another journeyman bargain basement player.

Wouldn''t he?

Oh no silly me, he''s gone to another club on a free which makes him a good player.

Yes i get it now.

[/quote]

Couldn''t have put it better myself

[quote user="megson"]

Wouldn''t he?

Yes i get it now.

[/quote]

Lee Hendrie is PROVEN quality and to suggest otherwise is imo is silly. I personally think he would of been perfect to give the club that much needed big name signing almost like huckerby when we got him.

Megson - I think you will find that the example you posted works both ways. For example when we signed Dave Striker I would suggest not many of us had seen him play, that did not stop loads of positive posts about him, so from what I can see on this board if you post an opinion that has no basis in fact (Dave Strika will be brilliant/Dave Strika will be crap), the postive post will be seen by many as fact where as the negative post will be jumped on!!. You know there is a big difference in signing somebody like Lee Hendrie and say signing a (to coin a phrase [:D]) "Carlos Kickaball".

I post as somebody who has not knocked a single signing and bases their opionion on players after they have played a decent number of games, I think that Lee Hendrie would have been a good signing but it is academic anyway as he has signed for another club.

[quote]so from what I can see on this board if you post an opinion that has no

basis in fact
(Dave Strika will be brilliant/Dave Strika will be crap)[/quote]Dave Striker was the top scorer in the czech league last season. I would consider that positive opinions have that fact as a basis for their position. Grant and Duffy were surprised that they got him, expecting him to go to a Premiership team instead, or one of the bigger clubs in his home country.  Trusting the managers'' word and the statistics from the Czech league is a bad thing ?Lee Hendrie could turn out to be worse for the Blades than Dave is for us, very easily.  Or vice versa.  But it''s good that we are scouting  in Europe, looking for and signing the best available talent, isn''t it ?

Arthur,

What planet are you living on????

We''d all love to have seen Hendrie here, but that doesn''t alter the fact that he''ll be getting close to £20k per week and there is no way we can afford that.  I''d love to have Ronaldinho here too, but it isn''t going to happen.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Megson - I think you will find that the example you posted works both ways. For example when we signed Dave Striker I would suggest not many of us had seen him play, that did not stop loads of positive posts about him, so from what I can see on this board if you post an opinion that has no basis in fact (Dave Strika will be brilliant/Dave Strika will be crap), the postive post will be seen by many as fact where as the negative post will be jumped on!!. You know there is a big difference in signing somebody like Lee Hendrie and say signing a (to coin a phrase [:D]) "Carlos Kickaball".

I post as somebody who has not knocked a single signing and bases their opionion on players after they have played a decent number of games, I think that Lee Hendrie would have been a good signing but it is academic anyway as he has signed for another club.

[/quote]

I would agree 100%, and i would not get carried away myself until seeing them in the flesh in a more competitive environment.

However its not just the negative posts its also the negative letters to papers etc. I do take your point on this but the whole "signing bargain basement or journeyman players" is very common on here and is nonsensical when the exact same people lambast the club for missing out on other freebies.

As you say it works both ways, just becuase the more negative posters have not seen the players play, doesn''t mean they should be deciding they are bad either.

I don''t think anyone should be getting carried away on either side of the arguement, but i''d suggest being in a positive frame of mind benefits us all more than being entrenched in negativity.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]so from what I can see on this board if you post an opinion that has no basis in fact (Dave Strika will be brilliant/Dave Strika will be crap)[/quote]

Dave Striker was the top scorer in the czech league last season. I would consider that positive opinions have that fact as a basis for their position. Grant and Duffy were surprised that they got him, expecting him to go to a Premiership team instead, or one of the bigger clubs in his home country.  Trusting the managers'' word and the statistics from the Czech league is a bad thing ?

Lee Hendrie could turn out to be worse for the Blades than Dave is for us, very easily.  Or vice versa.  But it''s good that we are scouting  in Europe, looking for and signing the best available talent, isn''t it ?
[/quote]

Lee Hendrie is TEN TIMES the player that Stivahka will ever be!!!

A player that has played at international level

Have not seen the Czech manager knocking on Strivahka''s door as yet have you???

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="megson"]

Wouldn''t he?

Yes i get it now.

[/quote]

Lee Hendrie is PROVEN quality and to suggest otherwise is imo is silly. I personally think he would of been perfect to give the club that much needed big name signing almost like huckerby when we got him.

[/quote]

To be honest Arthur that wasn''t really aimed at you, and I agree he does have a decent record.

However it is impossible and unrealistic to sign only proven players. Everyone has to start their career, or english career somewhere so why not here?

One of my biggest frustrations with worthy was his incessant use of poor loans, and lack of scouting. It has been far to long since we ''found'' a good player from either the lower leagues, or abroad (or even Scotland!). THe fact that we are doing this again is a positive, and i simply cannot view it any other way.

Its a reality for a club like us that a good and wide ranging scouting network is vital, our survival is based much much more on finding younger players developing a career than picking up guys that are coming towards the end of their time in the game.

You mean when we got him in halfway through the season rather than at the start...

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="megson"]

Wouldn''t he?

Yes i get it now.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ten times the player?  My god you come out with some rubbish don''t you.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]so from what I can see on this board if you post an opinion that has no basis in fact (Dave Strika will be brilliant/Dave Strika will be crap)[/quote]

Dave Striker was the top scorer in the czech league last season. I would consider that positive opinions have that fact as a basis for their position. Grant and Duffy were surprised that they got him, expecting him to go to a Premiership team instead, or one of the bigger clubs in his home country.  Trusting the managers'' word and the statistics from the Czech league is a bad thing ?

Lee Hendrie could turn out to be worse for the Blades than Dave is for us, very easily.  Or vice versa.  But it''s good that we are scouting  in Europe, looking for and signing the best available talent, isn''t it ?
[/quote]

Have not seen the Czech manager knocking on Strivahka''s door as yet have you???

[/quote]

[quote user="mr carra"]

Arthur,

What planet are you living on????

We''d all love to have seen Hendrie here, but that doesn''t alter the fact that he''ll be getting close to £20k per week and there is no way we can afford that.  I''d love to have Ronaldinho here too, but it isn''t going to happen.

[/quote]

Twenty grand a week! Are you serious?

I doubt very much that Sheffield Utd would bust their wage structure by much - their top earners are on £10,000 - £12,000 per week.

Mind you, it depends on how much they wanna go straight back up I s''pose.

[quote]

Have not seen the Czech manager knocking on Strivahka''s door as yet have you???[/quote]

The key to this is the phrase "as yet".  As I suspect Smudger knows, as the top scorer in his home league Strihavka is hotly fancied to become part of the Czech national teams'' strike-force in the next season or two, gaining English experience will give him experience to be able to play at international level.

When Lee Hendrie got his international cap he was 10x the player he is now.   He was capped as a potential future solution to the Left-Side-Problem.   I have seen reports that Strihavka is regarded similarly as a eventual replacement for Jan Koller.  Oddly he is behind Jan Koller, Pavel Nedved and Tomas Rosciky for his national team''s attaking positions.Was Carlo Cudicini a worse keeper than David James (when he was england keeper) cos he couldn''t get a game for club or country but James was first choice for both.  No, he was (and is) one of the best keepers in the world but he is behind Cech at Chelsea and Buffon and Toldo for Italy

Even people cant see the difference getting a proven class player on a free than someone very much unproven, then i really do question the mentality of some of city''s supporters.

[quote user="megson"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="megson"]

Wouldn''t he?

Yes i get it now.

[/quote]

[/quote]

To be honest Arthur that wasn''t really aimed at you, and I agree he does have a decent record.

However it is impossible and unrealistic to sign only proven players. Everyone has to start their career, or english career somewhere so why not here?

One of my biggest frustrations with worthy was his incessant use of poor loans, and lack of scouting. It has been far to long since we ''found'' a good player from either the lower leagues, or abroad (or even Scotland!). THe fact that we are doing this again is a positive, and i simply cannot view it any other way.

Its a reality for a club like us that a good and wide ranging scouting network is vital, our survival is based much much more on finding younger players developing a career than picking up guys that are coming towards the end of their time in the game.

[/quote]

I couldnt agree with you more about finding young talent but i was suggesting that a player of Hendries quality would of been just the tonic for the club,board and supporters alike.it would of gave an element of feel good factor, albeit an expensive one but with his quality i feel it would of been worth that risk.

[quote]Was Carlo Cudicini a worse keeper than David James (when he was england

keeper) cos he couldn''t get a game for club or country but James was

first choice for both.  No, he was (and is) one of the best keepers in

the world but he is behind Cech at Chelsea and Buffon and Toldo for

Italy[/quote]If I were Carlo, I''d be looking to get a job elsewhere.  He could get the 1st team jersey at any other club in the Premiership outside the top 4.