Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

'Saints sack chairman Crouch'

Southampton sack chairman Crouch

Southampton Football Club chairman Leon Crouch has been sacked by the club''s parent plc board.

Crouch, the second largest individual shareholder with almost 10%, attended a meeting at St Mary''s Stadium on Monday, where his removal was confirmed.

No replacement has been mooted for Crouch, who was appointed following Mike Wilde''s resignation in February.

Crouch said: "I feel betrayed, angry and saddened by what''s happened at the hands of the plc board."

Crouch''s departure reveals the size of the schism and tensions between Saints executive directors, and non-executive directors.

As Saints second largest individual shareholder, Crouch still maintains his seat on the plc board.

Southampton have been subject to takeover speculation, but Crouch said: "My untimely departure is hardly a model for attracting new investment that the club needs so much.

"My predecessor Michael Wilde and I have both, as the largest shareholders, invested more than £4m of our own money.

"The role of non-executive directors is to exercise a steadying influence on executive board decisions.

"That is what I, along with non-executive directors patrick Trant and Keith Wiseman, have tried to do."

"If that means challenging powerful men in highly paid salaried positions, who are answerable to shareholders and customers alike but who have no emotional ties to our great club, then so be it."

Crouch criticised the sale of star Gareth Bale to Tottenham, although the Wales international was in the last year of his contract.

He also expressed concern at the growing power he believes the executive now wield at St Mary''s.

Crouch added :"The divisions in the boardroom between the executives and non-executives are well documented, however I could not stand by quietly.

"the sale of the brilliant Gareth Bale was a classic case of selling off the family silver. How are we to gain promotion if the skilful players are sold off?"

Thats just sacking the chairmen though, which would mean Roger Munby, Delia and Micheal would still reside

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Thats the price of failure at a club like Southampton.  And they have acheived far more these past two seasons than us.  They were on the up and have a proven manager at this level in charge.[/quote]

The balance sheets at SFC would suggest that were not on the up. 

At the end of the this has nothing to do with Southampton or football.  This is all about the politics of a plc and revenge. 

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Thats the price of failure at a club like Southampton.  And they have acheived far more these past two seasons than us.  They were on the up and have a proven manager at this level in charge.[/quote]

Would you swap their squad for ours CJF? Or would you swap their manager for ours? Or would you swap their board for ours?

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

The balance sheets at SFC would suggest that were not on the up. 

At the end of the this has nothing to do with Southampton or football.  This is all about the politics of a plc and revenge. 

[/quote]

Pardon me if I am more interested in results  they improved their league position last season enough to finish in the play-offs... 

Our balance sheets do not look too healthy and we finished 16th last season with an inexperienced manager.  Lets hope we stop the downward spiral....

Although, we both have the same number of trophies in our cabinets, and will start in the same division next year.

Personally, I would rather be a Norwich fan than Southampton one going into the new season.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Would you swap their squad for ours CJF? Or would you swap their manager for ours? Or would you swap their board for ours?

[/quote]

Yes I would switch squads immediatly, Yes I would definatly take their manager over Grant, and difficult - they are a plc and unlike their squad and manager I don''t know too much about their boardroom.

[quote user="mbncfc"]

Although, we both have the same number of trophies in our cabinets, and will start in the same division next year.

Personally, I would rather be a Norwich fan than Southampton one going into the new season.

[/quote]

errrr they made the play-offs, I have heard it said by ALMOST EVERYBODY on here that would be considered a success.  We have not - we finished 16th and did not challenge.  We still play Hooves and Donkey week in week out...

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="mbncfc"]

[/quote]

errrr they made the play-offs, I have heard it said by ALMOST EVERYBODY on here that would be considered a success.  We have not - we finished 16th and did not challenge.  We still play Hooves and Donkey week in week out...

[/quote]

I know they did, but it will not count for anything come August.

They''re also going to struggle to get anywhere with a squad of 23.

It will be interesting to see where we both end up though. Personally, I think will beat them at Carrow Road in August.

[quote user="mbncfc"]

I know they did, but it will not count for anything come August.

They''re also going to struggle to get anywhere with a squad of 23.

It will be interesting to see where we both end up though. Personally, I think will beat them at Carrow Road in August.

[/quote]

Count the number of ''real'' players in our squad (ie minus youth players) - it only comes to around 24/25 if your generous.  I guess a couple of the saints guys must be youth too.  They have lost a couple of good players in Baird and Bale, but with Sagonowski and promising young winger from Liverpool added and their squad having had a year playing together Burley must be expecting a play-off finish.

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"]Thats just sacking the chairmen though, which would mean Roger Munby, Delia and Micheal would still reside
[/quote]

Don''t you mean "Neil Doncaster, Delia and Michael"?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Yes I would switch squads immediatly, Yes I would definatly take their manager over Grant, and difficult - they are a plc and unlike their squad and manager I don''t know too much about their boardroom.

[/quote]

You can take the boy out of Southampton but you can''t take Southampton out of the boy.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You can take the boy out of Southampton but you can''t take Southampton out of the boy.

[/quote]

Really?!?!?!?![^o)] That could explain a lot! [;)]