Sign in to follow this  
Stevo

"Every player has a value".....

....An often heard quote from football managers or chairmen.

But what are realistic values for our current players? I think most people agree that we sold Earnie for less than his current market value but what price would you put on Hux, Martin, Doc, Hughes (dare I ask!?) and so on. Lets try and put a value on our current squad.

OK...here''s some for starters...

Drury - £1.5m

Shackell - £750K

Docherty - £350K

Safri - £1.5m (assuming WBA rumours are true)

Hucks - £800K (priceless to us but what would someone pay?)

Croft - £600K

Hughes - £200K

Martin - £500K

[quote user="Stevo"]OK...here''s some for starters... Drury - £1.5m Shackell - £750K Docherty - £350K Safri - £1.5m (assuming WBA rumours are true) Hucks - £800K (priceless to us but what would someone pay?) Croft - £600K Hughes - £200K Martin - £500K[/quote]

Stevo. Interesting that you value Croft for more than than Martin.

How do you work that out?

OTBC

[quote user="Stevo"]OK...here''s some for starters... Drury - £1.5m Shackell - £750K Docherty - £350K Safri - £1.5m (assuming WBA rumours are true) Hucks - £800K (priceless to us but what would someone pay?) Croft - £600K Hughes - £200K Martin - £500K[/quote]

Drury - £1m

Shackell - £1m

Doherty - £500k

Safri - £1.5m

Hucks - £2m

Croft - £700k

Hughes - £250k

Colin - £350k

Jimmy Smith - £priceless (anyone with that name is too good for money!)

Dublin - £100k (1 season of a guarenteed decent target man and backup defender at championship level)

Martin - £2.5m (premium as he''s still young (man u interest will have put that up too). hard to judge though until he feature a bit more next season, could easily become a £5m player if he scores 10 goals before the new year) That''s about all of our team who have been with us for at least a year

Gut instinct Bly. Both are young players who have potential but are yet to fulfil it. I put Croft''s value higher principally on the basis that he came through the ranks of Man City so from a ''CV perspective'' you could argue he has premiership experience and also made his breakthrough into first team football a year or so earlier.

Ironically I think Chris Martin is a more valuable asset to us, although I wouldn''t imagine he''d command big bids at this stage?

I cannot believe that you think Martin is worth this sort of money.He has proved nothing apart from 4 goals against a pub team. His performances at the end of the seaon were awful  as was his lack of effort. Another boy who thinks he is the finished article and if he reads about these stupid valuations it will get worse. Lets see what he does this year and my opinion is he will fade away Grant needs  a quality striker now otherwise he will be jobless by Christmas.

Would you take £2mill for Hucks, Jimmy? Twice what we paid for him when he was younger and arguably better? A player who by his own admission is taking it year by year and will look to retire long before he runs out of steam.

I wouldn''t! Whilst I don''t think his ''market value'' is even over £1 million, he''s priceless to us.

Valuations in the current money climate of the premier league are so hard to judge!

I mean who would have put Etuhu at 1.5 before sunderland bid?

Koumas 4.5, chopra 5?   If we want to get rid of, most are frees, or a couple of hundred K.  If we dont, then who knows.  Say crofty at the min 500-1mill, but has a good season.  A good young english right winger?  would be 22-3, ie, younger than Lee Cook, so who knows, would be around 2-2.5.

As with martin, a poor season, and he is worth 100k, a good one, 10+ goals, even 20, and he goes between eastwood and chopra range, 1.5-5.

Every premier league club, has seen the everton model, and others, and has realised that you can get good players from Div 1, so they are searching for any young talent.

[quote user="gissing canary"]

Valuations in the current money climate of the premier league are so hard to judge!

[/quote]

Very true. I guess the only answer to someone''s value is what another club is prepared to offer .....or in our case what amount is set in their get-out clause!!

Certain premier league clubs can and will spend ''silly'' money to try and maintain their status.

The original point of this thread was to try and gauge the value of our squad. With the transfers of Ashton, Green and Earnshaw I feel that we don''t have an obvious ''prized asset'' i.e. a player that would / could go for big money

[quote user="Stevo"][quote user="gissing canary"]

[/quote]

Very true. I guess the only answer to someone''s value is what another club is prepared to offer .....or in our case what amount is set in their get-out clause!!

Certain premier league clubs can and will spend ''silly'' money to try and maintain their status.

The original point of this thread was to try and gauge the value of our squad. With the transfers of Ashton, Green and Earnshaw I feel that we don''t have an obvious ''prized asset'' i.e. a player that would / could go for big money

[/quote]

I agree, we no longer have a "star", but I think I like it, as the times we have 1 star (other than hucks) we dont seem to do as well.  eadie, bellamy, ashton, earnie.......

But my point is, in this climate a good year or two and being young, as wel as english can suddenly put a hefty fee on any player.  I mean chopra one good season, and he is worth 5mill!!  But it is whatever a premiership club is willing to pay, as they are all doing insane maths, "if this player keeps us up - he is worth to us 50million" so to them speanding 5 on a player worth 2mill, is probably worth it!