Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Unsuccesful seaon-Blame PG or Board?

I dont think it''s as clear-cut as saying it was definitely PG or the boards fault.  Afterall aren''t you forgetting another important component of any possible failure/success - the PLAYERS themselves.  The way I see it, we have a squad that is more than capable of challenging for the play-off positions at the very least (that is providing that we bring in a new centre back and central midfielder).  Therefore, if they fall short once more, I think certain questions must be asked about the player''s commitment to the cause.  Any failure this season (or any season for that matter) can have many contributory factors, including injuries, international call-ups, players leaving (against the managers wishes), insufficient transfer activity during the pre-season / January transfer window period and of course employing the wrong tactics/players.

Whilst both the board and the manager can be held to account over some of the above factors, its not as easy as saying it was one particular parties fault, especially as some factors are unavoidable.  Overall I think with a little bit of luck and a couple more quality additions, we may have no real need to blame anyone for anything.

[quote user="Geeza in Yellow"]

I dont think it''s as clear-cut as saying it was definitely PG or the boards fault.  Afterall aren''t you forgetting another important component of any possible failure/success - the PLAYERS themselves.  The way I see it, we have a squad that is more than capable of challenging for the play-off positions at the very least (that is providing that we bring in a new centre back and central midfielder).  Therefore, if they fall short once more, I think certain questions must be asked about the player''s commitment to the cause.  Any failure this season (or any season for that matter) can have many contributory factors, including injuries, international call-ups, players leaving (against the managers wishes), insufficient transfer activity during the pre-season / January transfer window period and of course employing the wrong tactics/players.

Whilst both the board and the manager can be held to account over some of the above factors, its not as easy as saying it was one particular parties fault, especially as some factors are unavoidable.  Overall I think with a little bit of luck and a couple more quality additions, we may have no real need to blame anyone for anything.

[/quote]

I think it must be clear cut after 10 or so seasons dont you?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Geeza in Yellow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Erm no I don''t and if you''d read the post properly you''d certainly have realised that Arthur.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Martin Hunter is highly rated

[/quote]

By who? PG has gradually cleared out all of the deadwood asscoiated with the last two years of failure, Hunter was part of that so he''s been moved on. Simple as that.

The fact that you criticise the board for ''spin'' but use so much of it yourself is, quite frankly, laughable.

[/quote]Two years of failure? I think you can make that three years, remember the Prem? Apart from the fans there has only been one group of people continually there over those season........the board!! Players and managers have come and gone but the boards has been there over seeing whats spent on and off the pitch. The buck has got to stop somewhere?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="Geeza in Yellow"]

[/quote]

We have three players of undoubted quality left in Dublin, Safri and Huckerby. The first is limited by his age, the second may well not be here-or if he is could well be in Grants bad books, the third seems very disillusioned by the direction the club is taking.

I`m sorry but supporters of about 15 other clubs in this division will be saying exactly the same thing as regards the play-offs and alot of their squads and new signings are as good or better than ours. Through lack of investment on the pitch we have a mediocre squad, and at the end of the day you cannot blame bog-standard players playing for a club going nowhere for not being world-beaters on the pitch.

Interestingly we didn''t have a team libraly sprinkled when we were promoted did we?

Or infact when we got to the play-off final. Infact when you look at it you have to say that there is always one team in and around the play-offs every season that you did not predict would finish there.

The point is some players take time to become good, some are from the word go. Some players only ever seem to play well once when in surroundings they are most at home with - some for one team.

I think what you have to remember is people change. I would not call any of the players at our club bog-standard. Thats treating them as objects and last time I checked they were human not a Ford Fiesta.

There is no such thing as bog standard in football because its a team game. And as of yet we have not seen this team up against their league opponents. Like I have said before I will not be drawn into predicting anything untill at least six games into the season when you can get a better picture of the teams, even then there is so much of the season left that anything could happen.

[quote user="Geeza in Yellow"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Geeza in Yellow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Erm no I don''t and if you''d read the post properly you''d certainly have realised that Arthur.

[/quote]

Please explain?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Geeza in Yellow"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Geeza in Yellow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Please explain?

[/quote]

To be honest Arthur it''s not "rocket science".  You stated that you believed the situation to be very clear-cut and proceeded to ask whether or not I did (rhetorically or not).  I had previously explained my thoughts (as early on as the first line of my original post) and so replied as such in the second post.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Geeza in Yellow"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Geeza in Yellow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Please explain?

[/quote]

Can I just point out here that you are claiming that the board has been the same for the last ten years when it hasn''t. Hypocritical when you claim that the board have done nothing but lie, lie lie about everything.

For example we now have the Turners, a much loved and greatly praised member has passed away and some have stepped down and left.

It is quite obvious where this is going. In great naievity you want the current figureheads in the joint majority shareholders.

If you were honest and trueful then this should be what you are saying and providing reasons to back up but yet again as with the others (people on here to want rid of Delia and Michael) you have none.

In another post you mentioned what the world is coming to. One phrase "BLAME CULTURE".

[quote user="ricky knight"]Funny when Hunter came here nearly all the post were positive.[/quote]

...as they mostly were when we got Thorne and MLJ - I seem to recall most of us thought they would do us well, both very experienced at this level or higher, and in theory just what we needed.  How wrong we were.   My point is that things sometimes just don''t pan out how you''d think or like them to; the reason for it is not particularly important, but there are dozens of players/coaches/managers who have worked out fantastically at one place but not another. 

Hunter certainly came here with a good reputation, but can you honestly say that you thought he made a positive difference?  I certainly can''t.  It does also very much seem that PG was more disappointed with the manner Hunter left than the fact that he''s gone. 

[quote user="Geeza in Yellow"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Geeza in Yellow"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Geeza in Yellow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Please explain?

[/quote]

To be honest Arthur it''s not "rocket science".  You stated that you believed the situation to be very clear-cut and proceeded to ask whether or not I did (rhetorically or not).  I had previously explained my thoughts (as early on as the first line of my original post) and so replied as such in the second post.

[/quote]

ditto

i can think of about ten teams wanting to get promotion and to do this they are spending big take leicster for example like chelski i can see them buying sucess if they go up and sadly i think its time to buy quality and spend big if you want to get out of this league take birmingham and sunderland with are current team im predicting a 14th place for us we have no depth or a good defender