Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

harry potter anyone???

Never read one yet LGT, however, I''ve loved all the movies. I''m a Terry Goodkind or Simon Green nut myself. Far more darker and violent fantasies than Ms JK''s work.

I like Harry Potter, but I am actually really put off when so much hype is created over these things. I would like to read the book and maybe see the film but I also would like to leave it at that, rather than seeing and hearing about it everywhere. Im sure its a great book again though.

Wiz, if actually read the books you''d realise they are alot darker than the movies, as the series goes on the story gets darker in fact.

How much would some people be annoyed if I told you who deaded......

Well, the people who died where........................... I''m not that nasty!

Can''t stand Harry Potter, just not my thing. Give me a Stephen King or a Dean Koontz anyday!

got it 12.10 on saturday morning.finished it 4.20 saturday afternoon. (and I got 6hrs sleep in that time!)reading it again today - it is rather good.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]seeing this board this frequented by all manner of negative soul-suckers/vamps - how many of you have been reading harry potter this wekend??? go - on admit it??? wiz???
[/quote]

I am afraid i don''t know what this Harry Potter thing is all about , it seems some kind of fantasy  thing  . . But when someone has a friend who is ginger  i don''t think i want to know any more . [:D] [:D][:D] arrdee

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"]Wiz, if actually read the books you''d realise they are alot darker than the movies, as the series goes on the story gets darker in fact.
[/quote]

In that case UEA, I  might just get myself a copy of book I, and see how I go from there, thanks for the tip.

Warning: Book 1 is a kids school story, the schoolness decreases and the darkness increses as you go.try to presist with it - if you don''t like the first one, skip book 2. 3 is better and they get darker and better.

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"]Wiz, if actually read the books you''d realise they are alot darker than the movies, as the series goes on the story gets darker in fact.
[/quote]

It really is a sign of the times when one sees a queue of adults waiting to buy the literary equivilent of a McDonalds Happy Meal, some of whom are dressed like Harry Potter and the slimy Alan Rickman guy who''s name, thankfully, evades me.

B******s, I just remembered it''s Snape.

I would''ve took the piss out of these people, but all I''d have gained is a cheap, transitory satisfaction from the experience since mocking adults who are dressed as wizards and waiting to buy a child''s book for themselves at midnight is really far too easy...

So I took the piss anyway. [:D]

[quote user="Shyster"]

It really is a sign of the times when one sees a queue of adults waiting to buy the literary equivilent of a McDonalds Happy Meal, some of whom are dressed like Harry Potter and the slimy Alan Rickman guy who''s name, thankfully, evades me.

[/quote]

I thought I''d say hi Shyster, just in case one of those wizards you took the ''P'' out of was a real one and turns you into a newt mate!.[;)]

And Alan Rickman by the way, is one of this county''s finest actors.

[quote user="7rew"]Warning: Book 1 is a kids school story, the schoolness decreases and the darkness increses as you go.try to presist with it - if you don''t like the first one, skip book 2. 3 is better and they get darker and better.[/quote]

Thinking about it, don''t you technically have to read the 1st and 2nd to understand the 3rd...?

[quote user="Shyster"]

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"]Wiz, if actually read the books you''d realise they are alot darker than the movies, as the series goes on the story gets darker in fact.[/quote]

B******s, I just remembered it''s Snape.

I would''ve took the piss out of these people, but all I''d have gained is a cheap, transitory satisfaction from the experience since mocking adults who are dressed as wizards and waiting to buy a child''s book for themselves at midnight is really far too easy...

[/quote]I like that analogy Shyster but it''s totally wrong!! Peter & Jane would be the literary equivalent of a Happy Meal! Why would so many adults read the HP books if they were written in kiddy language.

i hate harry potter with a passion!

dont know how i can say that when ive never watched one of the films or read one of the books but it looks completely SH*T

Oh for god''s sake it''s a book, to all of you having a laugh or mocking those who love it, why?  It''s either something you love or hate.  If you hate Harry Potter carry on with your own thing.  How would you feel defending those having a go at your love of golf say, or motorbikes?

I think its lovely to see kids actually reading something - I haven''t read them myself, but have seen some of the films, but might read them one of these days.

Well done to JK Rowling, who made it all happen, a debt ridden single mother who has transformed her life and made countless other ones full of fantasy and wonder.  Good on you girl!

What has this got to do with football?  Dont pollute our wonderful site with this Harry Potter crap - I get enough of it involuntarily through the media.  Its fine for kids but grown ups who read it are just down right creepy. 

[quote user="Libbra Lives"]but grown ups who read it are just down right creepy. [/quote]

Coming from someone with ''The Terminator'' as their avatar is a tad ridiculous mate!.[;)]

I have never read any of the Harry Potter series, but I must confess I''m slightly tempted to try one just to see for myself what the fuss is all about. The only trouble is, I''m rather disinclined to invest over 10 hours of my time reading something I feel convinced I will find dreary, plodding and cliched. There is so much inspirational literature that I haven''t read yet, that I just can''t see myself wasting time on what I feel sure is essentially an over-hyped set of books.

There''s a part of me that thinks it''s a sad indictment on our society that a large proportion of the adults who buy books in this country choose to spend their hard earned on a kids book about wizards when there are so many more choices out there....Then there''s another part of me that thinks that because those very same adults are worked so hard for their hard earned that they probably need to read something like Harry Potter to try and forget about it all....Then there''s another part of me that wonders why I''m wasting my time pondering the psyche of our book reading public when it''s my lunch break and there are pubs open.

[quote user="Libbra Lives"]What has this got to do with football?  Dont pollute our wonderful site with this Harry Potter crap - I get enough of it involuntarily through the media.  Its fine for kids but grown ups who read it are just down right creepy. [/quote]Coming from Mr "I''ve done 50 posts in 3 years".....if you don''t like it thats fine but don''t slate other posters for liking it, and don''t just slag the books try using some proper opinions as to why you dislike it, I know that must be hard when you probably haven''t read a single one. Whether you like the books or not Harry Potter has done alot to engage young people in reading, which is especially difficult in this day and age and for that it is to be commended. Anyway if were a proper pinkun poster you''d know that we generally like the relaxed and open discussion.

when the last book came out i was working at Bertrams books on a temp contract, this was 2 or 3 days before the book was launched, i took a sneak peak at a copy and saw that Dumbledoor snuffed it...

i then went home and logged on to my PC, i changed my display name on MSN Messenger to "for those of u who are getting the new potter book.... dumbledoor dies!"

the s**t hit the fan that day i can tell u! i have never had so many angry simlutaneos messages from different people at once! lol

jas :)

The Worst Witch was better... at least she wasn''t born with a legendary celebrity "I''m the best wizard in the world, ever" status - the equivalent of being born with a silver wand so to speak...