Sign in to follow this  
Dr Terrible

Arthur Whittle should have a weekly columnin the Evening News!

[quote user="kirku"]while i appreciate your insight into the topic (as it is far greater that my own) i do however have to contend a few points. Firstly you are taking industry wide and nationwide statistics and applying them to the hotel in question, surely you are not trying to claim that every hotel in the country meets this standard?[/quote]Whilst individual hotels will differ somewhat based on variables such as location and expected customer base, the 60% I quote is what is normally accepted as being the standard across a recognised hotel chain. The likes of Travelodge, Holiday Inn, Ibis etc, all operate within a very similar margin, and this is the expected return.[quote]secondly while 220k per season and a 1.1m lump may sound appealing in the short term, do you not think that leasing this part of the ground for 150 years (approx 50 years more than the club has been in existence) merits and ambitious board? i can tell you now that those who played football in the the manchester area in 1857 did not envisage the current state of manchester united.....i know it is faceteous but for all we know norwich city could be the manchester united of 2157. While i doubt this will happen, i still believe it to be a short sighted stratagem on the part of the board....[/quote]I see where you are going with this, however, there is also the flip side of the coin to look at, and instead of us being the next Man Utd, we could also be the next Accrington Stanley, and should the worst happen, at least with the hotel deal we have a virtually guaranteed income that would far surpass what we would acheive from seating if we were to drop down the leagues.Also add in the factor that if we did get to a similar level to Man Utd, Liverpool etc, the chances are that we''d be looking to build a far bigger new stadium, than try in vain to expand Carrow Road.Personally, I think it''s a bit of a no-lose deal, but obviously everyone has their own view on this.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="lappinitup"]

Arthur. While you come across as a decent old boy and as someone who cares about all things NCFC, I do feel that your constant moaning about the board is getting tiresome.

In your letter in tonights evening news you highlight three things where you think the club has let us down.

1.....The transfer debacle. What transfer debacle ?  Every action, decision and transfer has been explained by the club and debated on here in detail so if you have more insight into the clubs financial matters than the rest of us perhaps you will share them.

2.....You say the board tell us ''''time after time'''' we are only a small club. Apart from a couple of ''asides'' I don''t recall them drumming the point home. And if refusing to pay players like Varney £20k per week makes us ''''small'''', so be it. 

3.....You finish your letter by saying Peter Grant has his hands firmly tied. I seem to remember him saying during the Jan transfer window how he was happy with what he had to spend and I haven''t heard him complain this time either.

Arthur. You and I are from the same generation. We both remember the blankets coming round. The corrugated tin loos. Getting soaked in the open stands. We both have many memories of our club (good and bad). We have both seen the club rise from div 3(south) to a club that has bought TWO players at £3m. We have both felt the highs and lows along the way. The difference between us now is that I just don''t believe people when the accuse the board of lying, being unambitious, black holes etc.

I firmly believe that this board is MORE ambitious than you or I because they are prepared to back up their own judgement with their own money.

Sorry Arthur, I just don''t see any point in continuously knocking the board for the sake of it. Either buy into the club so you can make your opinions count or go and buy another season ticket and start ENJOYING football again.

lappinitup

[/quote]

Sorry lappin...but I''ve seen more sense dribble out of a cow''s bottom.  Arthur is so much on the point with regards to the genuine mainstream supporter out there and just because it conflicts with the screwball mentality of the ovines on this small forum it does not warrant such patronisation. It''s a highly valid opinion...and one well supported by the realists.

Arthur speaks clearly for me and many others like me and while you may disagree....the next few months will confirm just how right he is. Let''s just hope we''re not down a league by then and with a mountain to climb.........

[/quote]

If you''re so sure that there are so many of you then you should have a protest now and prove how mainstream you are.

[/quote]

Don''t be such a silly billy......It''s not all about protesting and proving a point as time will do that quite adequately .  It''s the miopic ovines who will feel the devastatation not us....and we''ll be there when the glory boys move on to pick up the pieces.

[/quote]

But you can''t deny that the underlying message in your post is that you WANT the the club to do badly so that you can be Mr. I Told You So otherwise you''re just a keyboard warrior on a little web site..

[/quote]

This forum is just a little bit of harmless fun and by saying "I told you so" if the worst happened  it would be little more than me/us goading those who gave me/us flak for simply being outspoken. It''s making a game out of something everyone on here cares passionately about.....Norwich City the FOOTBALL CLUB. What we say here doesn''t matter a jot regarding events at CR and far from getting bitter and twisted about it all...I really do save that for the more more pressing things I see in the world around me. NCFC would survive in whatever form Smith finally left it in....and I (and probably many of us on here) would come along and scrape us the pieces.

If I wanted the club to fail, why would I be concerned about our hopelessly inadequate squad? Why would I criticise Smith and Co. so vociferously for the damage they have done to the club? Why would I slate those "supporters" who I feel lack drive and ambition? Why would I have such concerns about the cynical "off the field activities" still being exposed? Why would I throw in my season tickets and stay away from the club I grew up with? Why do I complain about the season ticket scam which continues to exclude the casual grass roots supporter in favour of the well heeled modern "spectator"?

Don''t confuse my "concern" with "negativity"....as I see the stagnation so many on here seem to applaud as the true "negative" slowly driving us into oblivion. Sitting on your hands and "hoping for the best" won''t bring about the change needed....whereas what the likes of Smudger and the restless group I''m placed in may just do.

NCFC is a business in 2007...nothing more....the days of it being a true community asset died when Smith arrived. Just like with any other business such as Tesco...if it continually turned out poor grade produce we would have a right to complain....and that''s all some of us are doing. NCFC will happily take your money and do with it what it will...but ask it for something in return and somehow it seems like the end of the world. It''s not our friend and it''s not representative of our great city any more....those days are passed. The canary yellow shirts don''t automatically mean Norwich or Norfolk anymore...they mean Delia Smith and tv cooking. Personally I''d rather have a grass roots side in a lower league if it meant it was returned to it''s fans. Yes a return to the glitzy Premiership would be nice...but another repeat of the humiliation caused by Smith last time would kill the club as a genuine force for good.

Let it happen if you choose...but don''t expect those of us who love the club rather than those who run it to go down meekly with you...''cos that just isn''t going to happen.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="lappinitup"]

Arthur. While you come across as a decent old boy and as someone who cares about all things NCFC, I do feel that your constant moaning about the board is getting tiresome.

In your letter in tonights evening news you highlight three things where you think the club has let us down.

1.....The transfer debacle. What transfer debacle ?  Every action, decision and transfer has been explained by the club and debated on here in detail so if you have more insight into the clubs financial matters than the rest of us perhaps you will share them.

2.....You say the board tell us ''''time after time'''' we are only a small club. Apart from a couple of ''asides'' I don''t recall them drumming the point home. And if refusing to pay players like Varney £20k per week makes us ''''small'''', so be it. 

3.....You finish your letter by saying Peter Grant has his hands firmly tied. I seem to remember him saying during the Jan transfer window how he was happy with what he had to spend and I haven''t heard him complain this time either.

Arthur. You and I are from the same generation. We both remember the blankets coming round. The corrugated tin loos. Getting soaked in the open stands. We both have many memories of our club (good and bad). We have both seen the club rise from div 3(south) to a club that has bought TWO players at £3m. We have both felt the highs and lows along the way. The difference between us now is that I just don''t believe people when the accuse the board of lying, being unambitious, black holes etc.

I firmly believe that this board is MORE ambitious than you or I because they are prepared to back up their own judgement with their own money.

Sorry Arthur, I just don''t see any point in continuously knocking the board for the sake of it. Either buy into the club so you can make your opinions count or go and buy another season ticket and start ENJOYING football again.

lappinitup

[/quote]

Sorry lappin...but I''ve seen more sense dribble out of a cow''s bottom.  Arthur is so much on the point with regards to the genuine mainstream supporter out there and just because it conflicts with the screwball mentality of the ovines on this small forum it does not warrant such patronisation. It''s a highly valid opinion...and one well supported by the realists.

Arthur speaks clearly for me and many others like me and while you may disagree....the next few months will confirm just how right he is. Let''s just hope we''re not down a league by then and with a mountain to climb.........

[/quote]

If you''re so sure that there are so many of you then you should have a protest now and prove how mainstream you are.

[/quote]

Don''t be such a silly billy......It''s not all about protesting and proving a point as time will do that quite adequately .  It''s the miopic ovines who will feel the devastatation not us....and we''ll be there when the glory boys move on to pick up the pieces.

[/quote]

But you can''t deny that the underlying message in your post is that you WANT the the club to do badly so that you can be Mr. I Told You So otherwise you''re just a keyboard warrior on a little web site..

[/quote]

This forum is just a little bit of harmless fun and by saying "I told you so" if the worst happened  it would be little more than me/us goading those who gave me/us flak for simply being outspoken. It''s making a game out of something everyone on here cares passionately about.....Norwich City the FOOTBALL CLUB. What we say here doesn''t matter a jot regarding events at CR and far from getting bitter and twisted about it all...I really do save that for the more more pressing things I see in the world around me. NCFC would survive in whatever form Smith finally left it in....and I (and probably many of us on here) would come along and scrape us the pieces.

If I wanted the club to fail, why would I be concerned about our hopelessly inadequate squad? Why would I criticise Smith and Co. so vociferously for the damage they have done to the club? Why would I slate those "supporters" who I feel lack drive and ambition? Why would I have such concerns about the cynical "off the field activities" still being exposed? Why would I throw in my season tickets and stay away from the club I grew up with? Why do I complain about the season ticket scam which continues to exclude the casual grass roots supporter in favour of the well heeled modern "spectator"?

Don''t confuse my "concern" with "negativity"....as I see the stagnation so many on here seem to applaud as the true "negative" slowly driving us into oblivion. Sitting on your hands and "hoping for the best" won''t bring about the change needed....whereas what the likes of Smudger and the restless group I''m placed in may just do.

NCFC is a business in 2007...nothing more....the days of it being a true community asset died when Smith arrived. Just like with any other business such as Tesco...if it continually turned out poor grade produce we would have a right to complain....and that''s all some of us are doing. NCFC will happily take your money and do with it what it will...but ask it for something in return and somehow it seems like the end of the world. It''s not our friend and it''s not representative of our great city any more....those days are passed. The canary yellow shirts don''t automatically mean Norwich or Norfolk anymore...they mean Delia Smith and tv cooking. Personally I''d rather have a grass roots side in a lower league if it meant it was returned to it''s fans. Yes a return to the glitzy Premiership would be nice...but another repeat of the humiliation caused by Smith last time would kill the club as a genuine force for good.

Let it happen if you choose...but don''t expect those of us who love the club rather than those who run it to go down meekly with you...''cos that just isn''t going to happen.

[/quote]

Once again you give us the ridiculous notion that YOU would save the club ''from oblivion''. What kind of fantasy world do you live in?

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="lappinitup"]

lappinitup

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Excellent.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Cluck "][

[/quote]

Once again you give us the ridiculous notion that YOU would save the club ''from oblivion''. What kind of fantasy world do you live in?

[/quote]

Quite agree squit - it seems the planet inhabited by cluck certainly isn''t the one that we are on.....it seems to be a planet where the nasty Delia came along and took the happy-go-lucky club that was Norwich (which of course was nowhere near bankruptcy due to the previous regime) away from its fans and has been singlehandedly and systematically ruining it, whilst lying to the supporters about it.  But he, Whittle and Smudger are the knights in shining armour who will rescue us all - that, or some multi-billionaire from anywhere-ville who will probably care very little for the club''s supporters (so much for Cluck''s ''returning it to the fans'', I can''t think of anything that would be any further removed!).

Back in the real world, of course, is the fact that there are about 15 clubs who want to, and believe they should, be in the Premiership alongside those currently in it.  Most are about the same as us, having had a recent spell/season in the Prem and trying to get back there (eg Coventry, Sheff Wed, Binners, West Brom, Wolves, Southampton, Palace, Leicester, the relegated sides - to name 11 of them).  Some have fared much worse than us (Sheff Wed, Barnsley having spells lower down, Forest still there).  To me there is little difference between us and most of them, and it is they who we are mostly competing against.  I don''t see that our board is any less capable than most of them, so at the moment there is not really any particular need to change things (and, more importantly, who to?...the perennial question that is never answered!).

[quote user="Branston Pickle"][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Cluck "][

[/quote]

[/quote]

Quite agree squit - it seems the planet inhabited by cluck certainly isn''t the one that we are on.....it seems to be a planet where the nasty Delia came along and took the happy-go-lucky club that was Norwich (which of course was nowhere near bankruptcy due to the previous regime) away from its fans and has been singlehandedly and systematically ruining it, whilst lying to the supporters about it.  But he, Whittle and Smudger are the knights in shining armour who will rescue us all - that, or some multi-billionaire from anywhere-ville who will probably care very little for the club''s supporters (so much for Cluck''s ''returning it to the fans'', I can''t think of anything that would be any further removed!).

Back in the real world, of course, is the fact that there are about 15 clubs who want to, and believe they should, be in the Premiership alongside those currently in it.  Most are about the same as us, having had a recent spell/season in the Prem and trying to get back there (eg Coventry, Sheff Wed, Binners, West Brom, Wolves, Southampton, Palace, Leicester, the relegated sides - to name 11 of them).  Some have fared much worse than us (Sheff Wed, Barnsley having spells lower down, Forest still there).  To me there is little difference between us and most of them, and it is they who we are mostly competing against.  I don''t see that our board is any less capable than most of them, so at the moment there is not really any particular need to change things (and, more importantly, who to?...the perennial question that is never answered!).

[/quote]

REALLY excellent!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

Quite agree squit - it seems the planet inhabited by cluck certainly isn''t the one that we are on.....it seems to be a planet where the nasty Delia came along and took the happy-go-lucky club that was Norwich (which of course was nowhere near bankruptcy due to the previous regime) away from its fans and has been singlehandedly and systematically ruining it, whilst lying to the supporters about it.  But he, Whittle and Smudger are the knights in shining armour who will rescue us all - that, or some multi-billionaire from anywhere-ville who will probably care very little for the club''s supporters (so much for Cluck''s ''returning it to the fans'', I can''t think of anything that would be any further removed!). [/quote]

What planet is Cluck on then and when will we all get rescued?? [:)]

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

Quite agree squit - it seems the planet inhabited by cluck certainly isn''t the one that we are on.....it seems to be a planet where the nasty Delia came along and took the happy-go-lucky club that was Norwich (which of course was nowhere near bankruptcy due to the previous regime) away from its fans and has been singlehandedly and systematically ruining it, whilst lying to the supporters about it.  But he, Whittle and Smudger are the knights in shining armour who will rescue us all - that, or some multi-billionaire from anywhere-ville who will probably care very little for the club''s supporters (so much for Cluck''s ''returning it to the fans'', I can''t think of anything that would be any further removed!). [/quote]

[/quote]

He lives on the gaseous giant  BlyBlynia, circled by the twin moons of Smudge & Wayne. It is part of the Whittletonian Federation of Inter-Galactic Terminal Pessimists. They are developing an anti-Delia ray of great subtlety & complexity, designed to release a cloud of smudgertrons sufficiently powerful to wake us from the hypnotic trance induced by the cook''s subliminal messages implanted in her telly programmes. It will be deployed on the occasion of Norwich''s first crap performance.

Rejoice! Salvation is at hand!

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="biggleyellow"]

No he shouldn''t have an article in the paper as quite simply as a lot of people have said he does not have or suggest any answers and just likes the attention. Yes I have replied to his ''look at me please post'' but Arthur, come on man, give us some clues.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Yes i am in the paper again, and i will continue to voice my beliefs, untill this board starts to consider selling its shares to people outside of Norfolk.[/quote]

[/quote]

Thing is he''s entitled to send his letters off for publication like everyone else is but I think 4 in 2 weeks is a bit overload especially as they all say the same thing.

How about writing to the board  with your questions and see what replies you get cause I''m sure the Norwich EEN doesn''t even reach Stowmarket where she lives so she and others on the board won''t be aware of your concerns.

[/quote]

I see, I see, I see, Angel.

I don''t suppose they get the EDP or the Pink''Un there either then.

Seems logical they would get the Ipswich EEN and the Green''Un in those parts then.

That would explain a great deal, one supects.

[:-*][;)]

OTBC

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

He lives on the gaseous giant  BlyBlynia, circled by the twin moons of Smudge & Wayne. It is part of the Whittletonian Federation of Inter-Galactic Terminal Pessimists. They are developing an anti-Delia ray of great subtlety & complexity, designed to release a cloud of smudgertrons sufficiently powerful to wake us from the hypnotic trance induced by the cook''s subliminal messages implanted in her telly programmes. It will be deployed on the occasion of Norwich''s first crap performance.

[/quote]

I''m impressed with this.....but while must all hope that disaster doesn''t happen....rest assured there will be one or two of us sending inter galactic messages to the naive saying "I told you so".......

Get your tin hats ready.........

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m impressed with this.....but while must all hope that disaster doesn''t happen....rest assured there will be one or two of us sending inter galactic messages to the naive saying "I told you so".......

Get your tin hats ready.........

[/quote]

Laughing my moobies off Cluck....

Isn''t it amazing how much wool is clearly stuck behind some of the flocks ears on here???

A simple honest message from you (above)... one of very few in recent months on here and yet again they have to bite don''t they?

Then they wonder why they get the sharp & witty "I told you so" messages.... unbelieveable!!!  [8-)]