Sign in to follow this  
Dr Terrible

Arthur Whittle should have a weekly columnin the Evening News!

No he shouldn''t have an article in the paper as quite simply as a lot of people have said he does not have or suggest any answers and just likes the attention. Yes I have replied to his ''look at me please post'' but Arthur, come on man, give us some clues.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Yes i am in the paper again, and i will continue to voice my beliefs, untill this board starts to consider selling its shares to people outside of Norfolk.[/quote]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

Arthur. While you come across as a decent old boy and as someone who cares about all things NCFC, I do feel that your constant moaning about the board is getting tiresome.

In your letter in tonights evening news you highlight three things where you think the club has let us down.

1.....The transfer debacle. What transfer debacle ?  Every action, decision and transfer has been explained by the club and debated on here in detail so if you have more insight into the clubs financial matters than the rest of us perhaps you will share them.

2.....You say the board tell us ''''time after time'''' we are only a small club. Apart from a couple of ''asides'' I don''t recall them drumming the point home. And if refusing to pay players like Varney £20k per week makes us ''''small'''', so be it. 

3.....You finish your letter by saying Peter Grant has his hands firmly tied. I seem to remember him saying during the Jan transfer window how he was happy with what he had to spend and I haven''t heard him complain this time either.

Arthur. You and I are from the same generation. We both remember the blankets coming round. The corrugated tin loos. Getting soaked in the open stands. We both have many memories of our club (good and bad). We have both seen the club rise from div 3(south) to a club that has bought TWO players at £3m. We have both felt the highs and lows along the way. The difference between us now is that I just don''t believe people when the accuse the board of lying, being unambitious, black holes etc.

I firmly believe that this board is MORE ambitious than you or I because they are prepared to back up their own judgement with their own money.

Sorry Arthur, I just don''t see any point in continuously knocking the board for the sake of it. Either buy into the club so you can make your opinions count or go and buy another season ticket and start ENJOYING football again.

lappinitup

[/quote]

Some fair points but im with Arthur.

1. The transfer debacle is the one where the board misled fans into thinking no players would be leaving the club, thus season ticket renewels.

2.The board have always used the little club syndrum to play down fans expectations.

3.Swap Etuhu for a short term soloution.

Arthur. While you come across as a decent old boy and as someone who cares about all things NCFC, I do feel that your constant moaning about the board is getting tiresome.

In your letter in tonights evening news you highlight three things where you think the club has let us down.

1.....The transfer debacle. What transfer debacle ?  Every action, decision and transfer has been explained by the club and debated on here in detail so if you have more insight into the clubs financial matters than the rest of us perhaps you will share them.

2.....You say the board tell us ''''time after time'''' we are only a small club. Apart from a couple of ''asides'' I don''t recall them drumming the point home. And if refusing to pay players like Varney £20k per week makes us ''''small'''', so be it. 

3.....You finish your letter by saying Peter Grant has his hands firmly tied. I seem to remember him saying during the Jan transfer window how he was happy with what he had to spend and I haven''t heard him complain this time either.

Arthur. You and I are from the same generation. We both remember the blankets coming round. The corrugated tin loos. Getting soaked in the open stands. We both have many memories of our club (good and bad). We have both seen the club rise from div 3(south) to a club that has bought TWO players at £3m. We have both felt the highs and lows along the way. The difference between us now is that I just don''t believe people when the accuse the board of lying, being unambitious, black holes etc.

I firmly believe that this board is MORE ambitious than you or I because they are prepared to back up their own judgement with their own money.

Sorry Arthur, I just don''t see any point in continuously knocking the board for the sake of it. Either buy into the club so you can make your opinions count or go and buy another season ticket and start ENJOYING football again.

lappinitup

[/quote]

Sorry lappin...but I''ve seen more sense dribble out of a cow''s bottom.  Arthur is so much on the point with regards to the genuine mainstream supporter out there and just because it conflicts with the screwball mentality of the ovines on this small forum it does not warrant such patronisation. It''s a highly valid opinion...and one well supported by the realists.

Arthur speaks clearly for me and many others like me and while you may disagree....the next few months will confirm just how right he is. Let''s just hope we''re not down a league by then and with a mountain to climb.........

lappinitup

[/quote]

Lappin, could you please explain how much of their own money they have used in buying £3 million worth of players and selling £5 million worth?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lappinitup"]

lappinitup

[/quote]

Lappin, could you please explain how much of their own money they have used in buying £3 million worth of players and selling £5 million worth?

[/quote]

Ricardo. You know as well as I do that is nit-picking of the highest order. Quoting figures from one transfer window that isn''t even closed yet and trying to compare it with their overall investment is just plain silly. And I might also add, those figures are just your guestimate !!

[quote user="Millo"][quote user="lappinitup"]

lappinitup

[/quote]

Some fair points but im with Arthur.

1. The transfer debacle is the one where the board misled fans into thinking no players would be leaving the club, thus season ticket renewels.

2.The board have always used the little club syndrum to play down fans expectations.

3.Swap Etuhu for a short term soloution.

[/quote]

Just for my two pence worth.....

Point 1 is complete and utter rubbish. We didn''t HAVE to sell players, Etuhu and Earnie WANTED to leave. What were we meant to do, keep unhappy players? We offered Dickson a new deal, he said no. So we didn''t HAVE to sell, to balance books, we HAD to sell because they wanted to play in the Prem, double their wages, etc etc

Point 2 - define ''always'' ??

Point 3 - Yes, I would rather we had replaced him permanently, but Etuhu was sporadic in his perfomances to say the least. Who''s to say Smith won''t be more consistent?

So there

[quote user="biggleyellow"]

No he shouldn''t have an article in the paper as quite simply as a lot of people have said he does not have or suggest any answers and just likes the attention. Yes I have replied to his ''look at me please post'' but Arthur, come on man, give us some clues.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Yes i am in the paper again, and i will continue to voice my beliefs, untill this board starts to consider selling its shares to people outside of Norfolk.[/quote]

[/quote]

Thing is he''s entitled to send his letters off for publication like everyone else is but I think 4 in 2 weeks is a bit overload especially as they all say the same thing.

How about writing to the board  with your questions and see what replies you get cause I''m sure the Norwich EEN doesn''t even reach Stowmarket where she lives so she and others on the board won''t be aware of your concerns.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="lappinitup"]

lappinitup

[/quote]

Sorry lappin...but I''ve seen more sense dribble out of a cow''s bottom.  Arthur is so much on the point with regards to the genuine mainstream supporter out there and just because it conflicts with the screwball mentality of the ovines on this small forum it does not warrant such patronisation. It''s a highly valid opinion...and one well supported by the realists.

Arthur speaks clearly for me and many others like me and while you may disagree....the next few months will confirm just how right he is. Let''s just hope we''re not down a league by then and with a mountain to climb.........

[/quote]

"genuine mainstream"

Hahahahahahahahaha . . . erm it is ok to laugh? I mean this was a joke right?

For a start you would have taken a massive survey of fans to get a true cross section and then asked questions without leading answers.

When it comes to football will there ever be anything like the genuine mainstream supporter? I don''t like mainstream myself, not unless it started out independent, is hugely criticised before becoming so popular that it rivals  the mainstream for attention.

The onlything that Arthur and you guys could argue is that like Metalica - you''ve been around a while, make a noise you like, like it more because it seems to unsettle others, and somehow reach a wide audience. And thats harsh on Metalica (have you spotted I am not a fan of them either? Though I have seen them perform live so you can''t say I didn''t try!). ;oD

So you are a genuine mainstream fan. In that case I am a mainstream genuine fan.

[quote user="7rew"]Wayne - That was my point about overly simplistic viewpoint. 

For the board to sell up there needs to be someone to buy them out.  The board aren''t all bad and there is no Knight-In-Shining-Armour out there just waiting to take over and being rebuffed by the board, at least not a known one.   There are however alot of people who would be much worse for the club that the board could sell to.  
Some of them have been proposed by Smudger - would you want Graeme Souness running the board? oh and incidently as an unsackable manager, would that make us progress?

I asked the question about the paper because I had never seen a copy of the paper and wished to know what its catchment area (and so readership) were.
[/quote]

So what happens if we are bottom of League 2 in May 2010, if no-one is shouting that they want to buy the club, we just have to put up and shut up with the board? There is always ways and means.  I just don''t accept that if Norwich became available, in the Championship with 25/26k fans at every home game that no-one would be interested.  By this I mean that if discontent got so bad, that there were regular protests, boycotts, whatever, and Delia et all decided to sell up, which I think they probably would do, we wouldn''t be waiting for long for new owners.  I haven''t got a crystal ball and can''t guarantee that any new owners would be any better than the current ones, but if it took relegation to League 1 for this to happen then it would be too late.

There does become a point, a threshold so to speak, where fans get so sick (as they did with Chase) that they think we just want the current regime out, that is their primary concern, thinking in conjunction with this that any new owners couldn''t do any worse.  I fear that this threshold with the current board would not just be relegation to League One, I feel they would probably have another season to bounce straight back to the Championship.  It might be called League One, but it is still third division football.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="biggleyellow"]

[/quote]

Thing is he''s entitled to send his letters off for publication like everyone else is but I think 4 in 2 weeks is a bit overload especially as they all say the same thing.

How about writing to the board  with your questions and see what replies you get cause I''m sure the Norwich EEN doesn''t even reach Stowmarket where she lives so she and others on the board won''t be aware of your concerns.

[/quote]

I have and im still waiting for a reply.

In response to arthur''s pessimism i have to agree on a few points; the announcement by delia that only norfolk based investment would be considered is hugely flawed, especially in the modern football climate, and such an overtly xenophobic approach to seeking investors is doomed to failure in the long runSecondly, the transfer debacle was just that, not that we haven''t adequetely replaced the outbound players, but that board allowed such pitiful release clauses. For instance, we made a loss on Earnshaw if we factor in wages, agents fees and signing on fees. While there is the argument that we would not have been able to purchase the players in the first place if it wasn''t for said clauses, this is mere speculation. The fact is that we made a loss on our best player last season, and despite Etuhu''s inconsistency 1.5m is pittance for a player of his calibre...All of these points can easily result in the conclusion of a board lacking ambition, and worse of all, business nous....i just hope that, like others have mentioned, we don''t end up in League One still thinking everything is hunky dorey....however pessimism aside, we should all get behind the team, as if we can sort the backline out we do have the makings of a half decent team....the first time i''ve thought that in many a year...

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="lappinitup"]

lappinitup

[/quote]

[/quote]

"genuine mainstream"

Hahahahahahahahaha . . . erm it is ok to laugh? I mean this was a joke right?

For a start you would have taken a massive survey of fans to get a true cross section and then asked questions without leading answers.

When it comes to football will there ever be anything like the genuine mainstream supporter? I don''t like mainstream myself, not unless it started out independent, is hugely criticised before becoming so popular that it rivals  the mainstream for attention.

The onlything that Arthur and you guys could argue is that like Metalica - you''ve been around a while, make a noise you like, like it more because it seems to unsettle others, and somehow reach a wide audience. And thats harsh on Metalica (have you spotted I am not a fan of them either? Though I have seen them perform live so you can''t say I didn''t try!). ;oD

So you are a genuine mainstream fan. In that case I am a mainstream genuine fan.

[/quote]

It''s alway a sign of desperation when the sheep have to deny all knowledge of a "mainstream" opinion. Stuck in your internet bubble amongst those of a like mind you may be able to claim to be the "norm"....but out in the real world you are no more than a group of virtual nerds. Arthur IS the mainstream whether you like it or not....and if you mixed with a greater cross section of City supporters (not long distance internet wannabees) you would learn this for a fact.

Enjoy your fantasy for while longer though....as come Christmas and beyond you''ll see for yourself what a laughing stock both the club and your opinion is. It''s sad......but we all have to grow up some time.

[quote user="kirku"]In response to arthur''s pessimism i have to agree on a few points; the announcement by delia that only norfolk based investment would be considered is hugely flawed, especially in the modern football climate, and such an overtly xenophobic approach to seeking investors is doomed to failure in the long run

Secondly, the transfer debacle was just that, not that we haven''t adequetely replaced the outbound players, but that board allowed such pitiful release clauses. For instance, we made a loss on Earnshaw if we factor in wages, agents fees and signing on fees. While there is the argument that we would not have been able to purchase the players in the first place if it wasn''t for said clauses, this is mere speculation. The fact is that we made a loss on our best player last season, and despite Etuhu''s inconsistency 1.5m is pittance for a player of his calibre...

All of these points can easily result in the conclusion of a board lacking ambition, and worse of all, business nous....i just hope that, like others have mentioned, we don''t end up in League One still thinking everything is hunky dorey....however pessimism aside, we should all get behind the team, as if we can sort the backline out we do have the makings of a half decent team....the first time i''ve thought that in many a year...
[/quote]

Well said mate but no doubt someone wi still come up with a pitifull excuse...EVEN IF WE GET RELAGATED!

[quote user="Cluck "]Stuck in your internet bubble [/quote]Oh the irony, coming from someone with 2200 posts in 10 months, especially when 90% of those posts are the same thing repeated over and over like a mantra, and the other 10% are bare-faced insults to people who pick your fragile arguments apart.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="kirku"]In response to arthur''s pessimism i have to agree on a few points; the announcement by delia that only norfolk based investment would be considered is hugely flawed, especially in the modern football climate, and such an overtly xenophobic approach to seeking investors is doomed to failure in the long runSecondly, the transfer debacle was just that, not that we haven''t adequetely replaced the outbound players, but that board allowed such pitiful release clauses. For instance, we made a loss on Earnshaw if we factor in wages, agents fees and signing on fees. While there is the argument that we would not have been able to purchase the players in the first place if it wasn''t for said clauses, this is mere speculation. The fact is that we made a loss on our best player last season, and despite Etuhu''s inconsistency 1.5m is pittance for a player of his calibre...All of these points can easily result in the conclusion of a board lacking ambition, and worse of all, business nous....i just hope that, like others have mentioned, we don''t end up in League One still thinking everything is hunky dorey....however pessimism aside, we should all get behind the team, as if we can sort the backline out we do have the makings of a half decent team....the first time i''ve thought that in many a year...[/quote]

Well said mate but no doubt someone wi still come up with a pitifull excuse...EVEN IF WE GET RELAGATED!

[/quote]it certainly would be interesting to see if anyone can come up with even a half logical rebuttle to the points that arthur has made...and while i do not think we will be relegated this year, the increasing amount of money sloshing around the league (ala Morgan at Wolves and Prem parachute payments) could result in a club, like ours, whose board seemingly lacks ambition being left behind....in League One...

on a quick side note, does a decision to lease part of the ground out to a hotel in lieu of further expansion not highlight a lack of ambition?

Is this the full text of the letter...?!

"Give me one good reason why we should feel more optimistic about the way that the Norwich City board have let our players walk away from this club without replacing them (and don''t say the transfer period is not over yet, because who would really want to come here now)

I''ve said along with others that the board is weak and far from ambitious. Every year the same people come out in their defence only for them all to walk away with the''''oh well maybe next year'''' attitude. ''''Delia''s our girl, we''re all one happy big family''''(pass the sick bucket)

Its been the same for 3 seasons so I don''t know why I''m surprised everytime it happens. Chase was hounded out for the same reason, yet ''''darling Delia'''' gets away scot free everytime.

Huckerby if you''re reading this, I wouldn''t blame you if you walked. Then maybe all the pro-Delia can really hang their heads in shame."

If so, then I''m astounded that it got printed. It seems to be a childish argument, with no facts to back up the sentiment. Paragraph three makes no sense at all and paragraph four makes me cringe. Is that the best of the available letters?

Blimey.... Whiffle and piffle.

Steve

[quote]on a quick side note, does a decision to lease part of the ground out

to a hotel in lieu of further expansion not highlight a lack of

ambition?[/quote]No, because it cost less money than building the 700 seats you could have got in that space, and will make more money for the club.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]There does become a point, a threshold

so to speak, where fans get so sick (as they did with Chase) that they

think we just want the current regime out, that is their primary

concern, thinking in conjunction with this that any new owners couldn''t

do any worse.

[/quote]

Sorry for not replying for ages - I got overly depressed by this thread so I gave up reading it.[:D] 

This is precisely my point, for me the time when I want the board out

no matter what hasn''t been reached - It would if I thought there was a

better than evens chance of getting a better board in (when considered

over along term - say 10 years). At the moment this point has not been

reached.  If the board took us to League One then yes that point

could be reached.

Partly because I care deeply about the club still be viable and

competing in 20 years time (something in my more cynical moments I

suspect that some of the older posters don''t care so much about,

valuing short term success above it).  The other part of it is

that I don''t consider foreign investment (or any financially motivated

investment) as anything other than a very short term fix that will come

back to haunt the clubs involved.  

Any financially motivated investment willl eventually want a

return.  Say they get their return by us getting promoted - the

premiership money goes to the investor and not to keeping us up, so we

go down again.  OK, it happened a couple of years ago, but this

time we have a much bigger wage bill and the investors have done a

bunk.  We get one season in the prem and end up in a much worse

state then before.  So we try again, another investor, another

season in the prem and again we end up where we started but in a worse

financial position.  Worse is if the investor doesn''t manage to

get promoted, even having the best team doesn''t guareentee it (West

Brom this year) and the investor has spent the money without getting

their return, so they have to try again, this time they take even more

money out and sell up and we are well and truely screwed.

I haven''t studied the thread in detail, but as I happen to know someone responsible for the contents on the letters page, your guess is spot on Steve.  They print the best of letters received.

You can all draw your own conclusions from that.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]on a quick side note, does a decision to lease part of the ground out

ambition?[/quote]No, because it cost less money than building the 700 seats you could have got in that space, and will make more money for the club.[/quote]so are you suggesting that the meagre share in profits of a hotel would bring in more revenue for the club than 700 extra tickets multiplied by the amount of home games within the length of the lease?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]on a quick side note, does a decision to lease part of the ground out

ambition?[/quote]No, because it cost less money than building the 700 seats you could have got in that space, and will make more money for the club.[/quote]i have since found out the details of the lease: ''A 150-year lease was granted to IHG in return for a payment of £1.1m to

the club, which has negotiated a 30% stake in the business.''150 year lease, or 700 extra seats for 150 seasons. Simply put, Norwich City FC has not even existed for 150 seasons.....lunacy....

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="lappinitup"]

lappinitup

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you''re so sure that there are so many of you then you should have a protest now and prove how mainstream you are.

The hotel deal is potentially a real earner for the club, and likely to bring a better return than the seats.

Let''s look at some average figures and see a potential return (these figures will vary in areas, but the basics stretch across the industry)

Average Hotel Occupancy Rate is 60%, therefore with a capacity of 150 rooms, approx 90 will be filled each night.

Lowest priced rooms afaik start at £75 per night, therefore times this by the 90 rooms to give us £6750 per night.

Apply this across the year so times 365 = 2,463,750

Standard hotel operating profit margin is between 25-35%, so if we take the middle ground and go for 30%, the hotel profit per year is likely to be £739,125

Now if we have a 30% stake in this, that would equate to £221,737.50 per year.

Bear in mind that this is purely based on standard room rate of £75, the suites etc are more than this, but I thought it fair to be more conservative on the figures.

Add in the initial £1.1 million fee received for the lease and it''s hardly a poor option is it?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]

The hotel deal is potentially a real earner for the club, and likely to bring a better return than the seats.

Let''s look at some average figures and see a potential return (these figures will vary in areas, but the basics stretch across the industry)

Average Hotel Occupancy Rate is 60%, therefore with a capacity of 150 rooms, approx 90 will be filled each night.

Lowest priced rooms afaik start at £75 per night, therefore times this by the 90 rooms to give us £6750 per night.

Apply this across the year so times 365 = 2,463,750

Standard hotel operating profit margin is between 25-35%, so if we take the middle ground and go for 30%, the hotel profit per year is likely to be £739,125

Now if we have a 30% stake in this, that would equate to £221,737.50 per year.

Bear in mind that this is purely based on standard room rate of £75, the suites etc are more than this, but I thought it fair to be more conservative on the figures.

Add in the initial £1.1 million fee received for the lease and it''s hardly a poor option is it?

[/quote]while i appreciate your insight into the topic (as it is far greater that my own) i do however have to contend a few points. Firstly you are taking industry wide and nationwide statistics and applying them to the hotel in question, surely you are not trying to claim that every hotel in the country meets this standard?secondly while 220k per season and a 1.1m lump may sound appealing in the short term, do you not think that leasing this part of the ground for 150 years (approx 50 years more than the club has been in existence) merits and ambitious board? i can tell you now that those who played football in the the manchester area in 1857 did not envisage the current state of manchester united.....i know it is faceteous but for all we know norwich city could be the manchester united of 2157. While i doubt this will happen, i still believe it to be a short sighted stratagem on the part of the board....

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="lappinitup"]

lappinitup

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you''re so sure that there are so many of you then you should have a protest now and prove how mainstream you are.

[/quote]

Don''t be such a silly billy......It''s not all about protesting and proving a point as time will do that quite adequately .  It''s the miopic ovines who will feel the devastatation not us....and we''ll be there when the glory boys move on to pick up the pieces.

[quote]i know it is faceteous but for all we know norwich city could be the manchester united of 2157.[/quote]

Well, at least you''re good enough to admit that you''re only arguing for the sake of it...

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="lappinitup"]

lappinitup

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don''t be such a silly billy......It''s not all about protesting and proving a point as time will do that quite adequately .  It''s the miopic ovines who will feel the devastatation not us....and we''ll be there when the glory boys move on to pick up the pieces.

[/quote]

But you can''t deny that the underlying message in your post is that you WANT the the club to do badly so that you can be Mr. I Told You So otherwise you''re just a keyboard warrior on a little web site..

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]i know it is faceteous but for all we know norwich city could be the manchester united of 2157.[/quote]

Well, at least you''re good enough to admit that you''re only arguing for the sake of it...

[/quote]of course i am, this is a debate on an internet forum. Its hardly going to change anything is it? However, it would be nice if you could offer to this debate than applying bold to part of my posts!

[quote user="kirku"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

of course i am, this is a debate on an internet forum. Its hardly going to change anything is it?

However, it would be nice if you could offer to this debate than applying bold to part of my posts!
[/quote]

The pros and cons of the hotel have been widely debated on previous threads....there is a fair amount to consider.  On the face of it most people would probably have said build the seats, but that is too simplistic: we have a c£20m debt that most are saying is too high, and it would cost c£3m to build an infill, increasing the debt and having only c750 seats it would not really generate a huge amount of cash.  The alternative of £1.1m up front + a no risk stake in the hotel gives a decent source of revenue.  Since it is not linked to the fortunes of the playing side of things (ie if we were poor an infill would sit empty) this is also potentially much more beneificial.  If we do want to increase capacity in the future, it would be much better to build a second tier on the City or Jarrold stands.  IMO the right decision was made, but there are obviously those who disagree!