Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Who on here watched the 1958 Cup run?

[:@] i saw norwich play ilford in early round but because of my work the only other match i saw was replay with sheffield this is when i first started to support norwich city kept that support going till theyear 2000 in my opinion the 1958 59 side was the best with the finest manager archie macauley i would not cross the road to watch to watch this present side play and mr doncaster please leave and take rest of board with you

but because of my work at the time i was a cowman the only other game i saw was replay against sheffield unt

[quote user="No 9 - Bly"]

I was born in 61 so didn''t quite make it. However

1. Terry Bly is my uncle (hence the user name)

2. I know all the words to "The ballard of Crossen and Bly" and once sang it in a bar in Cork

[/quote]

Did they cry No 9. I always do when I hear it.

Well lads and lassies over the past 2 years we''ve come closer again than I ever thought possible to experiencing the once more ''the best of times'' soon after ''the worst of times''.

But I think 1958-59 still just about edges the award for ''the best of times''.

What do you reckon?

OTBC

Wasn''t born then, but have enjoyed reading your memories of a huge part of our history.

The nearest I have got is having Sandy Kennon sat on my sofa, drinking coffee, approx 8 years ago, whilst his son decided to buy my car!

His son made his mind up too quickly and our conversation never really took off!!

Missed opportunity or what!?

Feast your eyes on this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7NNiTJ5Vh4

You''ll need to cut and paste unless some kindly soul can turn it into a link

ps I was around but not at any of the games

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="SPANGLES"][quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7NNiTJ5Vh4

Get the tissues out.

[/quote]Here''s a challenge for Archant.  Drop ''dowdy fighters'' into a match report in the coming season without a hint of irony. [/quote]

Doughty?

OTBC

[/quote]Soz that''s probably a much better word.

I remember it well. Travelled to every game with my father, my uncles and cousins. Even the mothers were interested by the later rounds and it became a family affair at White Hart Lane. I was very small and can remember those huge crowds surging forward and as they did so, the small fry were lifted up and off their feet. We stood under the old clock in the corner at Carrow Road. I remember it all, the itchy green and yellow scarf, the ribbon bedecked rattles (I still have mine), the whingers and moaners who saw nothing but doom and gloom, (one or two still around I see as I page through this site on a regular basis). I have travelled almost continuosly since those days but where ever I have lived on this planet I have never lost the love of the game and in particular the absolute joy of those times. I listen to the game commentary so easily today but in years past the earliest you could get results in far away corners, was the newspaper on Monday mornings. Always a tingle of joy when we won and a dull thud in the belly when we lost. Much has changed, and those memories are one of the easiest ways to put some perspective on the vast wages, massive egos and arrogance that today often seem to pervade "the beautiful game".

[quote user="No 9 - Bly"]

I was born in 61 so didn''t quite make it. However

1. Terry Bly is my uncle (hence the user name)

2. I know all the words to "The ballard of Crossen and Bly" and once sang it in a bar in Cork

[/quote] i remember a newspaper headline the read "bly,bly babes". brilliant.

My dad wasn''t even born for another 7 years by that point, and even though I wouldn''t be born for another 26 years I''m still proud of that team and what they achieved.

My grandad is called Ron Ashman and he insists that the great Ron Ashman from the ''59ers was his uncle (but he has been known to tell a porky).