Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Who on here watched the 1958 Cup run?

And what was your strongest memory of it.

I''m just curious as to the rough ages of posters on here. For me, I have one or two strong memories from that period,  like Ken Netherccott our goalie at the time, playing most of game with a dislocated shoulder at Bramwell Lane and making a string of one handed saves during the game.

And the replay at Carrow Road, when an virtually unknown Sandy Kennon took over his place in that barn storming victory over the Blades.

And who can forget Terry ''The Count'' goals?. People who were there know who I mean!. Or beating Man U in a snow covered Carrow Road.

I was at the Luton semi final games where we were cheated by the officials and failed to get to Wembly, however, try as I might, I can''t recall anything of the first game.

Just reading this back has upset me a little, such bitter sweet memories, a few of the older blokes I went with (I was only a lad) died years ago, but I can still see their smiling faces, and I miss them all terribly.[:''(]

So where you there? and what do you remember?.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

I''m just curious as to the rough ages of posters on here. For me, I have one or two strong memories from that period,  like Ken Netherccott our goalie at the time, playing most of game with a dislocated shoulder at Bramwell Lane and making a string of one handed saves during the game.

And the replay at Carrow Road, when an virtually unknown Sandy Kennon took over his place in that barn storming victory over the Blades.

And who can forget Terry ''The Count'' goals?. People who were there know who I mean!. Or beating Man U in a snow covered Carrow Road.

I was at the Luton semi final games where we were cheated by the officials and failed to get to Wembly, however, try as I might, I can''t recall anything of the first game.

Just reading this back has upset me a little, such bitter sweet memories, a few of the older blokes I went with (I was only a lad) died years ago, but I can still see their smiling faces, and I miss them all terribly.[:''(]

[/quote]

I remember it well but i was in the armed forces at the time and based in Cyprus but my old Sgt was a big City fan too and we used to get updates from the RAF boys based a few miles away. Still seems only thhe other week and excellent memories of being a city fan, im geting a little emotional too!!

I wasn''t there as i am too young and wasn''t born til 4 years later but my mum and dad still tell their stories of being there. My Mum fainted at the Sheff Utd game ( i think) cos it was so packed and had to be helped out of the crowd.

Was it not 1959 though?

whoareyou? wrote: Was it not 1959 though?

For those of us who were there, its always referred to with great affection as the 58'' Cup run in the 1958-59 season. As we didn''t get a ''by'' in those days, we first played in the 1st round in 58''. The semi final was in 1959!.

But many of us still call it the 58'' cup run!.

Jeez!

It was a wonderful time to support Norwich and I remember a friend of mine received a serious injury playing in local football and was in hospital when some of the players did a visit, but the matron sent them away !

The team seemed unbeatable and when we played the second semi final game the office and factory came to a standstill while everybody listened to radio loudspeakers. At the end of the day we were so proud of our team who gained world wide acclaim.

Now, was I the only one of the current posters who travelled to Highbury in 1954 to see Norwich beat Arsenal, I was very young !

I was there Wiz,

I stood just behind you in the old Barclay (with it''s luxury corrugated iron toilets) that day watching Big Sandy Kennon shaking like a leaf on his debut. (I think YC was further away in the posh grandstand seats).

By the way I was eighteen then, (67 now) you must have been a mere lad then surely ?

[/quote]

Who could ever forget Wiz.

I saw every game except Swindon away Rnd 2 and the Semi final replay (cos I was at school).

Ken Nethercotts brilliant save from Bobby Smiths header in the 5th rnd replay will long remain in my memory and Crossans disallowed goal in the first semi final at White Hart Lane.

I think my most vivid memory is of driving up to London for the semi final in my dads old Vauxhall Wyvern. Every town and village on the old A11 was decked out in yellow and green. We will never see the like again.

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

By the way I was eighteen then, (67 now) you must have been a mere lad then surely ?

[/quote]

Sure was Jim, about 10 I think! a couple of years later, or was it 62'' (time does play tricks on the old grey matter) I use to ride home sitting on the Pink Un''s bound for sale in Lowestoft, as my dear departed dad (so you can''t sack him now Archant!) was a driver for Eastern Counties newspapers back then.

On matchdays, he would pick me up in Riverside Road after the game for the trip back home, well why not? it saved me 6d (old money) on train fares which then paid for my match day programme and a packet of Rolo''s!.

Sigh.[:)]

[quote user="ricardo"]I think my most vivid memory is of driving up to London for the semi final in my dads old Vauxhall Wyvern. Every town and village on the old A11 was decked out in yellow and green. We will never see the like again.[/quote]

Oh don''t start me blubbing again Ricardo.[;)] 

But of course you''re right, those days are sadly gone, Footy and the fans were very different back then, and money hadn''t raised its ugly head then either.

By the way is there a DVD available of those glorious days?. I have some very short scenes from a City DVD, but nothing major on that cup run.

I wasn''t born for another 18 years, so no, I wasn''t there!! However, I am jealous everytime I read about it as it must have been a fantastic time. It was in the days when the majority supported their local team & there was huge crowds... The whole city would be buzzing in a cup run. Now days a lot of people are plastic Mancs/Liverpudlians/cockneys!!! Not the same...

Was only 7 that season but do remember all the kids being passed over the heads of the Barclay End fans

so they could sit on the railings at the front. Always got there early with my Uncle Phil to get behind the goal.

Remembers the City just being a sea of yellow and green.

[quote user="ricardo"]I think my most vivid memory is of driving up to London for the semi final in my dads old Vauxhall Wyvern. Every town and village on the old A11 was decked out in yellow and green. We will never see the like again.[/quote]

Oh don''t start me blubbing again Ricardo.[;)] 

But of course you''re right, those days are sadly gone, Footy and the fans were very different back then, and money hadn''t raised its ugly head then either.

By the way is there a DVD available of those glorious days?. I have some very short scenes from a City DVD, but nothing major on that cup run.

[/quote]

I don''t think theres much in the way of film from that era Wiz.

I''ve got a great CD called "On the Ball City" (what else?) that has about an hours worth of spoken word comentary and interviews with Terry Allcock and Sandy Kennon. Its from a Radio Norfolk programme called the Famous 59''ers. Great stuff.

Its also got the "Ballard of Crossan and Bly". I can''t listen to it without the tears welling up. People might think we are silly old sods for getting emotional about it Wiz, but I wouldn''t swap my memories of that time for anything.

[/quote]

Yep i was there every match , me and my brother , i don''t know how my mum and dad  could have afford it all but they did , i was sure we would win the cup that year, we were the best team by far , the thing i will always remember in the replay at birmingham was Ron Ashman backing off against Bingham right from the half way line , Bingham played it inside , took the pass to  smash  it into our net . Now this is why i have no time for  Drury a backer off ,he is  one in the  the first degree .[:''(] arrdee.

I was 12 then and supporting my local team (Saafend united) in the same Divsion as City at that time.

Obviously when City started their famous run any neutral fans wanted underdogs to win and it brings back great memories. I moved to Norfolk in 1962 and have supported City ever since.              

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]What a great thread Wiz, no silly arguement no snide digss just great memories! Im going to have a drink and think of those times....Cheers![/quote]

You are so right Arthur, this thread and the replies have been a huge buzz for me, I always knew we were ALL part of one great yellow and green family, thanks everyone.[:D]

Anymore thoughts?.

I was born in September 1959 so guess my old man was getting a bit excited by it all!

I have read the account many times and have been in the 59''ers lounge and seen all the momentoes and info. I was not there for the cup run but strangely feel a real pride in what was acheived then. It appears that the whole country was captivated and I never tire of hearing about the experiences of those who were there.

Ken Nethercott/Sandy Kennon

Brian Thurlow; Ron Ashman

Roy McCohan; Barry Butler; Matt Crowe

Errol Crossan; Terry Allcock; Terry Bly; Jimmy Hill; Bobby Brennan

12th man: Bobby Williamson

Manager: Archie Macaulay

Chairman: Arthur South 

Formation: 2 - 3 - 5

Fabulous.

Heroes for all time.

And all on the maximum wage too!

OTBC

Unfortunately I am only old enough to remember the 1988-89 semi final.

It was a long way back, particularly because of the Hillsborough tragedy in the other semi.

I missed the 1959 cup run but never got tired of the stories my Dad told me about it as I was growing up [:)]

Hi Wizard. Just catching up..... I''ve been out riding horses in the West. Gives me a whole new level of respect for those Pony Express riders of yesteryear. It''s going to be several days before I can even walk like a golfer again, never mind swing like one.

My memory is the most vivid of the win over Manchester United because of the snow covered pitch/ground and the absolute brilliance of our boys on that difficult day. My feet were freezing but I didn''t feel a thing if you know what I mean. However, my most vivid memory of that time period, rather than a specific event/game, is the collection of players that Archie Macauley assembled and motivated to perform collectively at a level that is probably beyond anything any one of them had experienced up until that time, and moving Norwich City on to a higher level that brought much success and happy times for the fans. Despite some of those players serving Norwich with class and loyalty over many years the individual talent was certainly a secondary factor. The success was all about each player playing for each other. Although the game has changed somewhat and been overly affected by easy money, I still think there is a chance of the same kind of thing being achieved today.

P.S: If there was a talented player standing out from that earlier time period then I would have to agree with Ray on Jimmy Hill. He was my favourite and I would love to see us with a playmaker like Jimmy today.

Ah yes, I remember it well.  Wink [;)]  I was there with my dad and granddad, on the half way line half way up the south stand.  With my wooden rattle.  Queued for hours for tickets.  Smile [:)]

With my Mum saw Hungary beat England 6-3 with some bloke called Puskas playing a part.

That was the start of it I think..............

Kind regards,

Alan M. Watkins

[quote user="camuldonum"]

With my Mum saw Hungary beat England 6-3 with some bloke called Puskas playing a part.

That was the start of it I think..............

Kind regards,

Alan M. Watkins

[/quote]

If you''re talking about the style of play in 1958-59, Alan, you wouldn''t be far wrong at all!

As Yankee said we played United off the pitch that day - and the media made the country know.

Of course we won 3-0, but that was only a part of the story.

OTBC

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Hi Wizard. Just catching up..... I''ve been out riding horses in the West. Gives me a whole new level of respect for those Pony Express riders of yesteryear. It''s going to be several days before I can even walk like a golfer again, never mind swing like one.

My memory is the most vivid of the win over Manchester United because of the snow covered pitch/ground and the absolute brilliance of our boys on that difficult day. My feet were freezing but I didn''t feel a thing if you know what I mean. However, my most vivid memory of that time period, rather than a specific event/game, is the collection of players that Archie Macauley assembled and motivated to perform collectively at a level that is probably beyond anything any one of them had experienced up until that time, and moving Norwich City on to a higher level that brought much success and happy times for the fans. Despite some of those players serving Norwich with class and loyalty over many years the individual talent was certainly a secondary factor. The success was all about each player playing for each other. Although the game has changed somewhat and been overly affected by easy money, I still think there is a chance of the same kind of thing being achieved today.

P.S: If there was a talented player standing out from that earlier time period then I would have to agree with Ray on Jimmy Hill. He was my favourite and I would love to see us with a playmaker like Jimmy today.

[/quote]

Brian clough was to do the same thing later and I believe that PG could do it again.

At the end of the day it''s still eleven vs eleven no matter how much they cost !!

Whops!  I see I forgot to change my signature, a little out of date!Embarrassed [:$]