Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Wonderful City Memories.

Brilliant post and where do you start, so many memories. Just what i''ve thought of in no particular order.

The thought of anticipation walking up the stairs to the old River End stand with my Dad and his work mates in the 70''s (he first took me when i was 4 in 1970)

too many boyhood heros to mention them all but i remember watching in awe Martin Peters

Keving Keelan throwing the ball down to try to attack a Leeds player and i think they scored too!!

Fash''s goal against Liverpool

Bruce''s against Scum in the Milk Cup (from the River End there was just a huge gap he ran into)

Milk Cup Final, the whole day, the travelling the fans the goal the pen miss and Wato lifting the trophy

Greg Downs nearly drowning at Chelsea doing a sliding tackle on a water logged pitch!

Travelling to Carlisle mid 80''s to watch us, that was a very long journey

Chippy trying to take a corner at the Odsal Stadium Bradford, temp grass was laid on the speedway track and it slopped up steeply!

Plastic pitches, ohhh boy, Luton and QPR, they were truely awful

taking my son to his first game in 98 when he was 5, unfortunately a year after my dad died so we never got to do it all together

Iwan scoring at Cardiff, never heard noise like it

Being at Villa Park SF 89 day of Hillsborough, a day never to be forgotten for all the wrong reasons, then being at Hillsborough 92 for the first SF there after 89, will never forget the whole ground singing abide with me before the game, brought a tear to me eyes

the europe adventure, will we ever see that again?

being able to buy a brick in the Jarrold stand with my dad''s name on, so he''s always there

and all the City fans over the years, we all share the joy and despair of being a Norwich fan and you''re all the best

otbc

My two favorites and both Iwan Roberts:1) Gillingham away (I think) the year we got promoted, Iwan outpaced the last defender, rounded the keeper and tucked it away...he stood in front of the away fans smiling like nothing with no teeth, arms in the ''strong man position'' while everyone chanted Iwan, Iwan, Iwan, Iwan. Gret memory because a Spurs supporting mate of mine came with us and he had been slagging off Iwan all day.2) Iwan''s goal in the playoff final...I took my Dad and was in the final year of Uni...loving life at that point and turning and looking at him when that went in was great...one of my best memories of my Dad.So many others but they stick for non-footballing reasons.

74/75 Promotion season...my first..

Special train from Thorpe to Old Trafford, more plastic Reds on board than Norwich .

Missed the return train ..got home via London. Martin Peters on board after his debut. Home at 3.00am

Cheering Geoff Butler''s last minute goal at the Den in the middle of the Millwall fans

Promotion at Fratton Park. Battles on the terraces and a brick through the coach window.

Wembley as well..not bad for a first season

Interesting how so many people have the same great memories and how easy it is to forget. I had forgotten about the guy who hung the score numbers up on the half time board. First you had to work out which match was which and then you would watch him put the first number up and wait with baited breath for the away teams score.[:)]Here''s a few of mine:Crystal Palace match where we retianed out First Division status. Palace wore that classic white strip with the red and blue stripe down IIRC.Bayern Munich especially the tension at the home match and me turning round to celebrate with anyone when we scored.First time i visited Old Trafford circa 1988-9. We won 2-0 and Gary Pallister making his debut for Utd gave away a pentaly by tripping Rosario. I seem to remember that victory putting Ferguson''s job on the line.Mike Walker''s team taking on the best on the country and beating them. Being 8 points clear at the top of the League at Xmas that year!Milk Cup Final victory at Sunderland.Hucks signing on Boxing Day.The 3-2 win at Millwall when Fleck scored that screamer to win the game in the last minute.A cold FA Cup 3rd round game at Port Vale. 1-0 down when Andy Townsend scored one the best goals i have ever seen a City player score. We went on to win 3-1.Winning at Wolves for the first time ever when Martin O''Neill was in charge.Last seasons humiliations of 1p5wich.

Never saw this thread first time round so here goes:-1.  Sitting with the same group of friends for over 25 years, covering 4 generations of City fans.2. San Siro atmosphere, particularly after the game and the whole European experience both home and away.3.  Watching us beat The Scum 2-1 to record our first ever win in the Old First Division.4.  The old terraced Barclay before the segregation fencing went up - running the gauntlet with various away fans who tried to invade our territory.5.  Steve Bruce''s SF goal against The Scum - lost my voice for two days after that.6.  Being able to travel to Carrow Road by bus from Hellesdon, buying a programme and getting entrance for a total cost of 5/11d.7.  Grimsby away in the Milk Cup QF - So many City fans, so much snow, incredible atmosphere.8.  Sunderland fans at Milk Cup Final singing ''On The Ball City'' when we walked past a pub packed out with them.9.  Travelling with Mike Walker and John Deehan to watch Vitesse Arnhem play Ajax prior to our UEFA Cup game.10. The magic that is being a football club that is instaneously recognised by everyone else because of our unique colours!

1.My first away game at plough lane when John O''Heill got injured on his debut

2.The amazing one touch football we played under Dave Stringer and Mike Walker

3.Being in the Trinity road stand the day of the Hillsborough disaster and hearing rumours of the tragedy filter through. I remember the son Bangles-eternal flame being played pre-match and to this day that song reminds me of Hillsborough

4.The sea of yellow and green packed into the Holte end at the 89 semi-final

5.The tension and joy at Molineux the night of the play-off semi. I have never experienced such tension as during the last 10 minutes or such joy when the final whistle went.

6.Bouncing around on the clock end when we beat Arsenal 4-2 with the North bank ''mural''. My favourite ever City game.

7.Waiting outside the river end with my mate and his stool ready to get the best spot on the terraces behind the goal

8.The sick feeling in my stomach when we failed again in the 92 semi-final. Will I ever get to see Norwich at Wembley?

9.Sitting with the home fans at the Watford promotion game and the party in the pub after. The drunken sing song on the train back to London after the game included "chase out"!

10.Waiting outside the river end to get autographs of players after games. Asking Tim Shepherd for his and him telling us he wasn''t a player-we wanted it anyway!

11.Norwich fans going mental when we got a last minute consolation goal at white hart lane losing 5-1

12.All away games on minibuses-cans of lager, peeing on the side of the road, tyres let down, breakdowns, missed kick-offs, etc, etc.....

13.Wycombe in the cup when Walker left and the chant about him we sang all game

14.The white hot atmosphere at Portaloo road in the early prem night games and Brian Gunn''s infamous air-kick

Amazing memories, great times.

Makes me proud to follow this club

Amazing thread that has stirred all sorts for me;

Seeing my team win at Wembley is something that can NEVER be taken away from me

Also nearly killing two of my mates on that snow bound journey to Grimsby thanks to my impatience at not knowing where the bend in the road was!

Another journey, this time to try and catch up with the coaches for the Arnhem game. 2 and a quarter hours from Norwich to Dover- not bad :) (I can still picture Kathy''s fingers digging in to the upholstery-sorry Kathy that was me!

Hugging a total stranger after Simeons 3rd vs Derby- only ever noticed pandemonium like that in the Binners Milk CupSemi and the 3-2 away win when Martin O''Neill curled the last minute winner

Sheff Wed away when we got promotion

Winning at Anfield in 83 (2-0- O''Neill scored again)

Fash''s goal of the season

Brighton as my first away game ( won 4-2, didn''t win many away in those days:)

Many more rattling round and may come out in a while

Sharing great moments with great friends is something very difficult to put into words but I think we all know what we mean!

seat124  I remember that game v Man U when the fan fell through the roof after he was throwing debris at the fans spilling onto the pitch. He was eventually stretchered off in front of the main stand and fans charged at the stretcher knocking him off. I think the game ended in a 2-2 draw. The Man U fans didn''t like it and went mad, ripping the Barclay stand apart. I think it was in the days of Lou Macari and Martin Buchan.

Can anyone else remember that game and who played??