Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Wonderful City Memories.

• Those early games as a youngster, being in awe of Keelan, McDougall, Paddon, McGuire
  • That Fashanu goal - never ever forgotten
  • The old "Main" Stand - wooden floors, Dad and his mate had a season ticket at the back so when things went wrong not only did the floor get thumped but so did the back wall - I''ve no idea why it didn''t collapse sooner!
  • Steve Bruce''s goal - I was in the River End that night
  • Roy Waller''s commentary of that goal - I recorded it on tape and it got played over & over again....
  • Travelling down to Wembley - always remember overtaking a box van with the back gate rolled up & a load of fans sat in the back in deckchairs swigging the Fosters!
  • Mick Channon''s windmill celebration - shame we didn''t see more of it!
  • Ripping my leg open on the spikes in the Barclay fencing on the last day pitch invasion when we won the old 2nd Division title - I didn''t know I''d done it until my Mum pointed out that my jeans were covered in blood!
  • The night we went 8 points clear in the Premiership - I really believed, I really did...
  • Sat listening to the radio to hear Andy Linighan score that goal that put us into Europe - not sure what the neighbours thought of my celebrations - the only time I''ve ever supported Arsenal!
  • Munich at home - sitting with my dear old Dad singing OTBC, tears of joy streaming down my face - one of the happiest memories of my life!  In fact any memory of going to the game with Dad - parking up at the AA on Thorpe Road, walking down over Trowse Bridge etc....

my top 10. 1 being the best moment of course!

1. Suttons header - FA Cup 1/4 final replay vs Soton 91/92 season.. oh to be 10 years old  and another chance to experiance that night again.

2. City 2-0 United. Premiership season.

3. City 4-4 Boro premiership season, that must be what winning the world cup feels like! even though we drew.

4. Shaking Iwans hand in the club shop.

5. the civic Reception.

6. The playoff final

7. My sun glasses getting trampled to peices in the huge bundle in the barclay after Malky made it 3-1 vs Wolves in the semis of the playoffs.

8. Gunnys saves

9. Ruels Runs.

10. The whole European run.

superb days!

jas :)

* Beating Grimsby 3.2 in 85/86, sitting in the South Stand. My first game.

* The tiny family enclosure O Block and corner terracing.

* Huddersfield at home in the cup. It snowed and snowed and snowed, I''ve never been so cold. Our village was cut off for a week. 87 perhaps?

* Standing on the old Barclay and dodging the coins against Ipswich in a Full Members Cup match.

* Southampton FA Cup Quarter Final Replay in the Old Barclay - what an atmosphere!

* Oxford United away on a mid week game, breaking down on route, finding a pub, watching the AA man fix it from said pub and arriving at half time completely leathered. Can''t remember the score. Afterwards, eating a kebab with the hottest chilie sauce I''ve ever encountered.

* Bayen Munich at Carrow Road.

* Wolves away in the Play Off Semi for sheer nerve jangling tension.

* The Play Off Season run in - for going out in Norwich and to the Waterfront after Saturday games and seeing smiling, happy fans everywhere.

I''ve loved reading people''s thoughts here.

Yep great post Wiz you lovely old boy , i remember starting most of the songs in the Barclay as i was an avid pop fan in the 60s N M E , pirate radio and all ,Radio London,  my fav D J was Dave Denis swings , i would try to  put words to the top songs at the time, i think my biggest hit at that time, lol , was after we signed Alan Black, we had just sold Ron Davis , i came up with " Black is Black I want Ron Davis back its grey its grey since he went a way boo hoo what can i do cause i-i-i-i-i i am feeling blue  " the fans around me picked  it up at once and it    rocked the rafters of the Barcley  all match , it was like a thanks to big Ron , as we never had a chance to say bye , i think it was a group from abroard that done it Los something but perhaps someone remembers , my next big hit (still lol )was the Manfred mann ,"come all without come all within you aint see nothing like John Manning " I didn''t like Manning to much but that was the only name i could find fitted in with the "Mighty Quinn" I take no credit for "Jimmy  Bone super star how many goals have you scored so far"as every team had  done it, you only had to change the name , but Jimmy would always acknowledge us ,some songs  i came up with  were dire and died a death , some were just simple crap ,  this all stopped when i took Ruth to the matches my girl at the time now my wife , i liked to stand towards the back of the Barclay but Ruth had this thing about K.K, so we had to stand near the Goal , i use to say "what are you looking at ? i am twice as good looking as him " " i know you are arrdee but i can still look can''t i " funny creatures these women. [:D][;)]  arrdee

[quote user="arrdee"]Yep great post Wiz you lovely old boy , i remember starting most of the songs in the Barclay as i was an avid pop fan in the 60s N M E , pirate radio and all ,Radio London,  my fav D J was Dave Denis swings , i would try to  put words to the top songs at the time, i think my biggest hit at that time, lol , was after we signed Alan Black, we had just sold Ron Davis , i came up with " Black is Black I want Ron Davis back its grey its grey since he went a way boo hoo what can i do cause i-i-i-i-i i am feeling blue  " the fans around me picked  it up at once and it    rocked the rafters of the Barcley  all match , it was like a thanks to big Ron , as we never had a chance to say bye , i think it was a group from abroard that done it Los something but perhaps someone remembers , my next big hit (still lol )was the Manfred mann ,"come all without come all within you aint see nothing like John Manning " I didn''t like Manning to much but that was the only name i could find fitted in with the "Mighty Quinn" I take no credit for "Jimmy  Bone super star how many goals have you scored so far"as every team had  done it, you only had to change the name , but Jimmy would always acknowledge us ,some songs  i came up with  were dire and died a death , some were just simple crap ,  this all stopped when i took Ruth to the matches my girl at the time now my wife , i liked to stand towards the back of the Barclay but Ruth had this thing about K.K, so we had to stand near the Goal , i use to say "what are you looking at ? i am twice as good looking as him " " i know you are arrdee but i can still look can''t i " funny creatures these women. [:D][;)]  arrdee[/quote]

Christ Ray! I didn''t know you were a songwriter.

I had forgotten that John Manning one, to the tune of " The Mighty Quinn" but I can remember singing it now.

Do you remember, "Six foot two eyes of blue, Duncan Forbes is after you lala lala la lala la la".

And "Aye aye aye-aye, Ken Foggo is better than Pele, He''s also better than Geogie Best I''ve seen him on the telly"

Were you the song writer of either of these?

I always remember singing that last one at Brisbane Road when we clinched promotion against Leyton Orient. What a night that was, Ken Foggo scored just before half time and we never stopped singing his name. Then Paddon clinched it with a penalty. We all invaded the pitch at the end and I saw some guy cutting a bit of grass out of the penalty spot.

It does your heart good to know that somewhere in Norfolk a bit of that famous penalty spot is still growing on somebodies lawn.

I bet you''re glad you kept your eye on Ruth. Old K.K. had a bit of a reputation with the ladies. Mind you, he was a good looking guy.

These are great threads Arrdee, I think we should keep them going all season! I remember singing the John Manning song, I was never a great fan of his either but he was a good foil for Hugh Curran. And my biggest memory of him was that he won me sixpence off my Nan! It was when we played Sunderland in the FA Cup, we drew at Carrow Road and nobody gave us a chance in the replay, my Nan bet me 6d that we would get beat, but we won 1-0 and Manning scored it.

Pop songs have always been used like the ones you made up, more recently we have had We Love You Paul McVeigh and Morrocan All Over The World.

Brighton used to sing to Dean Martin''s That''s Amore "Wheeeeennnn the ball hits the goal its not Shearer or Cole.. it''s Zamora!" I thought that was quality but it couldn''t be tailored to any of our players.

I think my favourite retro-football song is: Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankleee, Have you heard of the Northbank Highbureee, Shanks said no - I don''t think so, But I''ve heard of the Norwich Barclay! [:)]

I''m surprised nobody has mentioned John Polsten''s goal against Villa 92/93. A few of my highlights would be:-

Going to Old Trafford the last time we were in Prem

Listening to late night coca-cola cup matches on the radio long after i should have been asleep

Beating Arsenal 4-2 at the start of the prem(the reason i support norwich in wales)

Rotherham V Norwich 4-4 the best game of football i''ve ever been at!

Great thread

The half-time scores slowly being put using those metal numbers on the "scoreboard" in the River End.

Opening the metal gates between the South Stand and the River End 10 minutes from the end of the game and wandering through if we were attacking the Barclay in the second half.

Standing in the River End as the fog descended in the League Cup semi against Chelsea.

Joe Mullett''s red face as he stood by the post at corners.

The almighty crush in the river end at the relegation decider against Crystal Palace and the huge surge as Stringer''s header went in. 

Buying Rolos from the sweets guy going round the ground and people passing them back through the crowd to me.

Singing "Mike Walker''s green and yellow army" for 20 minutes in the empty San Siro after the game there - proud to be a Norwich supporter.

Paddon''s hat-trick at Highbury.

Running the length of the pitch at Watford before the championship winning game.

The thrill of seeing Jimmy Bone attacking defenders.

Keelan''s left hook against Northampton and then watching next day again on Match of the Week.

The 5-2 victory at Brammall Lane - total football from Norwich at our best.

Partying at Crewe.

This is the best thread we''ve had on here for ages so keep those memories flowing in [:D]

[quote user="ricardo"]

We all invaded the pitch at the end and I saw some guy cutting a bit of grass out of the penalty spot.

[/quote]

That wasnt a bloke that was me. I still have it at home although it doesnt look much like a penalty spot these days. More like an ounce of tobacco!

[quote user="Kathy"][quote user="ricardo"]

We all invaded the pitch at the end and I saw some guy cutting a bit of grass out of the penalty spot.

[/quote]

That wasnt a bloke that was me. I still have it at home although it doesnt look much like a penalty spot these days. More like an ounce of tobacco!

[/quote]

Sorry Kathy, no offence intended.

I can only claim that the joys of promotion left me blind to your feminie charms.

What a great night that was in East London and a very pleasant journey home too.

[quote user="Welsh NorwichFan"]

I''m surprised nobody has mentioned John Polsten''s goal against Villa 92/93. A few of my highlights would be:-

Going to Old Trafford the last time we were in Prem

Listening to late night coca-cola cup matches on the radio long after i should have been asleep

Beating Arsenal 4-2 at the start of the prem(the reason i support norwich in wales)

Rotherham V Norwich 4-4 the best game of football i''ve ever been at!

Great thread

[/quote]

From the same game, the Villa player (Garry Parker?) going round Gunn at 0-0 and missing an open goal.

The entire 1993 European Tour. (I only missed one of the games - Bayern away, D''oh!!!)

Mark Robins scoring the 4th at Highbury on the opening day in 1992 and the look on the Gooners faces.

Winning promotion at the Odsal stadium (a rugby ground!) in Bradford in 1986.

As numerous people have already mentioned, Milk Cup semi and final.

December 21 2003, Ip***ch 0 City 2, Top of the League @ Portman Road (and it was my birthday. Thanks Leon!!!!!)

Mar 1986 Sheff Utd 2 City 5, a blinding display from a City team romping their way to an immediate promotion.

Finally, being sat outside a pub at Arsenal in 1995 when a black BMW pulled up at some traffic lights. We all did a double take at the guy in the passenger seat. Turned out to be Chris Kiwomya, so he got a bucket load of abuse until the driver leant across him and shouted at us to "F OFF" (edited comment). It was the one and only Ian Wright. That was the highpoint of the day day, we later lost 5-1 on the way to relegation.

Fantastic thread BTW.

• The buzz from walking up the stairs in the Barclay before the first home game of any and every season.
  • Standing on a Milk crate at my first match in 1978 (home to Bolton in a 3-1 win) and spending most of the game watching my Dad....hadn''t heard him swear before.
  • Being asked by my Dad at the same game who my favourite player was and saying number 11....it was Martin Peters!! I obviously had an eye for quality.
  • Walking back to the pub after the 4-4 draw with Boro with my uncle and cousins who are all Boro fans. Meeting up with my Mum and Auntie who said "So a draw? You must all be happy with that" and the subsequent look on my uncle''s face.
  • The split second delay after Robert Rosario''s strike against Southampton (goal of the season) before the crowd erupted. Sheer disbelief!
  • The will he / won''t he Huckerby transfer saga....checking the internet / teletext to follow every twist and turn and the elation when he stepped out on to the pitch on Boxing day.
  • Watching the ''big guns'' from Utd come off the bench as Ferguson realised his weakened side were in danger of losing and Rooney, Ronaldo and Co being powerless to prevent us winning 2-0......and the build-up to Leon''s goal!!!
  • Doing Fanzone on Sky Sports in our prem season and ''representing'' the team I love.
  • Going to Swindon away and kicking off a chorus of OTBC by myself.....desperately hoping I wouldn''t be a lone voice and the relief when others joined in.

For all the debate on here - pro or anti board....it''s great to take some time to remember why we all love this club so much and all the joy it''s brought us

A few different ones here (hopefully)

Going to my first reserve game in 1992 to see Freddie Murcury playing in goal for us. It wasn''t really Freddie, it was Mel Rees. He was on loan from West Brom and sadly died a year later.

A mid-week game against Pompey (I think). Adrian Forbes knocked a ball past the left back in front of the South Stand and ran around the outside of him. The defender made him run wider than he wanted to and actually ran off the pithc and round the linesman. Unfortunately as it wass so wet Forbesy slipped taking the lineman out with him. Very funny!

Gary Holt''s run and cross for McKenzie to score against the scum as we went top of the league at Portaloo Road

Iwan''s "Bergkamp esque" goal against the scum in which, if I remember rightly, was Hamilton''s first game in charge.

Safri''s wonder goal against Newcastle in the prem (Ashtons goal in that game was also pretty special)

I will also never forget the feeling of sheer disbelief when walking up the steps and out to the seating area of the Millennium Stadium for the play off final. Followed by the disappointment of being too far away to make out any of Atomic Kitten''s cleavages!

Hopefully this season will conjure up a few more memories!

The old Barclay baiting the late Les Sealey for an entire forty five minutes in Monty Python style high pitch voices - "Lessssley!"

The Cup final in 85, was dressed from head to toe in yellow and green with my brother, Mum and Dad only to realise that we were slap bang in the middle of the Sunderland end!! The goal, the missed penalty and the Sunderland fans shaking our hands at the end!

Carl Bradshaw putting the rebound in after his penalty had been saved at portman road.

Beating Arsenal 4.2 at highbury, was in car with 4 gunners, the journey to the game was hell, the journey home was heaven!

Going to Vitesse Arnhem, the ferry the night before the game was amazing! Meeting all the players in the hotel before the game!

Gossy''s Byern goals, being in the Barclay when he scored, the place went insane!

Iwans double at portman rd!

Both Luton games last year especially Lappins last minute winner! We went crazy!

Beating chelsea 3.0 away, Flecky scoring a stunner and beating them 3.2 after being 2.0 down with a little help from Dave Bessant!

Gossy scoring the last ever goal in front of the kop! That shut them up!!

Craig Bellamy scoring at portman road as we won 1.0 after a disaster there the season before!

Winning the local derby 3.1 at Carrow Road with Jamie Cureton scoring with his 1st touch!

Happy days!

On the Ball City

S

In no particular order;

My first game, April 1970 against Watford, 1-1. I was right at the front of the River End and the ball bounced to me and I threw it back to their keeper. Never touched a match ball since.

My dad made me a wooden box to stand on. I was already quite tall for my age but he always placed it just in front of a barrier in the River End and along with others, had a great view. It was made out of old pieces of pallet and weighed a ton!

Feb ''78. Notts Forest. They had just come up to the old 1st division and were sweeping all before them. I think old Cloughie was on holiday so Peter Taylor was in charge. They were three up fairly quickly but we got one back just before half-time (Peters penalty?) We went on to draw 3-3 and had a superb game that day. Loads of crowd trouble though and seperated from the opposing fans by just a few feet and the old metal railings. Bombarded by coins, bolts, and other objects but great fun.

Martin Peters testimonial. Memories a bit vague of this but I am sure most of the ''66 World Cup team turned up. Great to see those houshold names in the flesh as my father packed me off on World Cup Final day to my aunties so I missed the out.

Duncan Forbes testimonial. I ran on the pitch like everyone else and thought it would be good to take home a corner flag. I was unable to rip the flag off the pole so walked off with the whole thing. Got loads of stick and tried to put it down my trouser leg but it was obviously too long.Ended up putting it behind the telephone boxes on Carrow Road bridge.

Fash''s wonder goal. I had a new coat on so wanted to protect it so stood a lot further forward than usual in the Barclay. Saw the goal curve in the air and went mad. Will never forget it.

I live in Scummer land now so any loss for them keeps me happy until their next one which will be very frequent this season!

Great thread and some excellent stories.

I''ve enjoyed reading all of these.

For me, it''s (in chronological order):
80/81 v Liverpool (Fash etc) as a kid
Finally beating Man City (2-1) in about 92/93. How long did it take? About 33 years I think - and the Citeh fans were great that day.
The Euro thing - wow!
Malky''s goal against Stockport in 2002 - I could not have been better placed - just behind the goal in the Riverend (for some reason).

Man U in 2004/2005 (especially my Manc mate''s face and the rest of his day/night in sunny Norwich)

porker

Ah! The seventies.Polishing my Airwear before every game better than any squaddie. Never got to use them as just a typical teenage Barclay boy.Levi denim jacket even in January as hot as hell in middle pen  behind goal."Ginger" waving a walking stick above his head.  Always in the thick of it, does he still attend matches?Going to Ipswich night games and standing in away pen with Palace, Wolves and best of all Spurs fans.Original songs.ie Mariner and Gates song.Goading the "Prostitutes" selling programmes at Portman Road long before we knew it really was a red light area.The Eighties.Best ever was Martin O''Neils 90th minute winner for 3-2 at Ipswich in 82 when Ipswich were a good team.Andy Townsend''s winner for 1-0 at Anfield when Liverpool were unbeatable.Steve Bruce semi final winner.Promotion at Sheffield Wednesday.

[quote user="arrdee"]Yep great post Wiz you lovely old boy , i remember starting most of the songs in the Barclay as i was an avid pop fan in the 60s N M E , pirate radio and all ,Radio London,  my fav D J was Dave Denis swings , i would try to  put words to the top songs at the time, i think my biggest hit at that time, lol , was after we signed Alan Black, we had just sold Ron Davis , i came up with " Black is Black I want Ron Davis back its grey its grey since he went a way boo hoo what can i do cause i-i-i-i-i i am feeling blue  " the fans around me picked  it up at once and it    rocked the rafters of the Barcley  all match , it was like a thanks to big Ron , as we never had a chance to say bye , i think it was a group from abroard that done it Los something but perhaps someone remembers , my next big hit (still lol )was the Manfred mann ,"come all without come all within you aint see nothing like John Manning " I didn''t like Manning to much but that was the only name i could find fitted in with the "Mighty Quinn" I take no credit for "Jimmy  Bone super star how many goals have you scored so far"as every team had  done it, you only had to change the name , but Jimmy would always acknowledge us ,some songs  i came up with  were dire and died a death , some were just simple crap ,  this all stopped when i took Ruth to the matches my girl at the time now my wife , i liked to stand towards the back of the Barclay but Ruth had this thing about K.K, so we had to stand near the Goal , i use to say "what are you looking at ? i am twice as good looking as him " " i know you are arrdee but i can still look can''t i " funny creatures these women. [:D][;)]  arrdee[/quote]

Great post from a much missed great friend.

RIP Arrdee.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Great post from a much missed great friend.

RIP Arrdee.

[/quote]

Legend of a poster, as you say, badly missed.

In no particular order, mainly from the 70s:

1. Jimmy Neighbour''s mazy runs against Newcastle at home, may have been his debut. Won 3-2 but he was brilliant that day. Sadly now departed.

2. Poring over ALL the national newspaper reports of Paddon''s hat-trick at Highbury in the League Cup. Also sadly departed.

3. A Villa fan nicking my brother''s scarf off me after the 75 Wembley final. Was he annoyed!

4. Clive Payne getting kicked in the head by Phil Boersma, Liverpool (1973?). Payne got up to shake his hand and then promptly passed out.

5. Paul Cheesley scoring in the first minute at home to Liverpool, may have been same game.

6. Trevor "The Beast" Hockey.

7. Shouting "Super-Mac Dougall".

8. Standing in the Barclay for Fash''s goal of the season, directly in line so that I could see it arch into the corner.

9. Getting to the ground early (before 2 o''clock) to get my place in the South Stand.

10. As a kid, walking to every home game, standing for hours, then walking all the way home again. 5 hours on my feet.

10. 4-1 League Cup win over Man U in the late 70s. When the League Cup was still a proper cup.

11. Dave Stringer''s goal v. Crystal Palace to keep us up. Bedlam.

[quote user="Jason Smith"]the whole Norwich end rising to sing on the ball city after efan ekoku made it 5-1? away to tottenham when it had been piising down the whole game one easternorwich coming back from 2-0 down to beat luton 3-2 the first game after my dad had passed away ''this one''s for you dad''[/quote]That Luton game was the first and only time ever that my dad & I have left  a match early. I think we left at 0-2 or 1-2 only to hear on sports report back in the car at County Hall that we''d won. from that day on, I vowed never to leave a match before the final whistle. I ***think*** that it would have been 1986.

If no one''s added it before:The old Barclay End loos without a roof.The old Barclay End burgers that seemed to sit in hot water before they were severd.

As a lad standing on a milk crate in the South Stand trying not to fall off it in the surges,and standing in the little enclosure in front of the South Stand which was then seated,watching the Barclay packed at 2pm clashing with rival fans,then when the fences went up Stanley doing his climbing antics

- trying to get out of Arnhem''s ground with the perimeter fence holding back hundreds of Dutch fans wanting a fight.

- feeling like it was 2 fans to each seat in Milan.

- Rosario''s goal. Not S''oton but the one he scored with his backside against Millwall in the ZDS cup. He was oblivious that he''d scored!

- arriving at Narrow Road at 1pm on a Saturday to make sure you could stand at the front of the Barclay.

- the last game of the Kop. Great to share it with the LFC fans.

- Polston''s goal versus Villa.

- getting Disco Dale and Rosario''s autograph at a petrol station in Thetford. They''d stopped in their club sponsored Citroën BX!

forgetting the big uns, Bayern Munich, Wembley etc

my oldest and best memories are of the game when we were promoted to the old 2nd div, stood on the old River End.

Also as a teenager I used to go by train from Brandon to the games and first thing we did on leaving Thorpe Station was to cross the road to the kiosk and buy a pack of 5 Woodbines.

I still think of it when I am by the riverside opposite the station.