Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Wonderful City Memories.

And in no particular order or dates.............because my memory is usless with dates!.

1. Rosette and badge sellers standing on Carrow bridge, way before the club shop.

2. Chunky big wooden rattlles which made one hell of a racket and not like todays ''girlie'' pale substitues!.

3. Proper wingers like Bill Punton bombing down the wing.

4. Jim Oliver, Kenny Foggo, Robert Fleck, Darren Eadie, Tommy Bryceland, Graham Paddon, Sandy Kennon and Kevin Keelen, Ron Davis, Jimmy Hill and Barry Butler.

5. Talking to Mike Walker

6. Gawdy coloured club mascots parading around the ground with their huge Canaries and string puppets.

7. Sweet sellers and one little old ''bor'' yelling ''SWEETS''.

8.  Kids being lifted shoulder high from the back to the front of the stands by adult fans.

9. The old River End toilets, the dawn of chemical warfare in smells!.

10. The annual charge to catch the train back to Lowestoft. This was in the days of huge crowds, and it was often a near run thing.

I''ve left so much out , the Bayen Munich games for starters. I was hoping you could all help out here, because you must have just as many memories as I have.

So, while we''re all waiting for the big kick off, have a think back, forget all the arguements and old scores to settle, give this a go please, I think it could be fun.

Sigh, its been a good life.[:D]

What have you started Wiz ?

1. Talking to Ken Oxford at the bus stop on Castle Meadow.

2. Seeing Dennis Morgan cycling along Ipswich Road, after training.

3. Watching Norwich beat Stoke 5-0 despite Stanley Matthews etc.

4. The players painting the Carrow Road fences, in the close season.

5. The excitement of Ron Saunders promotion year and the tension of the games against Millwall.

6.  The Dave Stringer goal against Crystal Palace which effectively kept us in division one.

7. Colin Suggett, Kevin Keelan, Ron Davies, Martin Peters, Jimmy Bone, Chris Sutton, Ken Nethercott.

8. The skills and modesty of Ken Brown and Dave Stringer in bringing good players to the club.

9. Beating Sunderland in the Milk Cup.

10.The Europe adventure.

I have only scratched the surface but what a wonderful thread.

Mr sweets chocolates hot drinks

going to munich and seeing city win when i truely thought we would get hammered.

first trip to wembley-85 final

the barclay fence and terracing atmosphere-one that will never return.

my mate breaking his arm when we equalised in the last minute against sheffield utd

the good old goal celebrations on the terraces, before seating was brought in

watching city win at places like old trafford, highbury and anfield regularly in the 80s-early 90s

all the away days out on train and on coaches with my mates

when the players used to join us out for a beer regularly, without naming names-and cheers for the free tickets

taking a boat to the match at Fulham, and watching my mate enjoy what he thought was water splashing in his face untill he realised someone was having a p@ss off the deck and was getting soaked in urine.

Standing in the Barclay with little or no segregation from the away fans in the early seventies which sometimes resulted in running battles.

Standing in the Barclay in the late seventies with the big iron fences seperating you from the coins and spit from the away fans.

The old bill standing at the back of the Barclay randomly arresting an easy target (they never did seem to target the real hooligans).

Big Bernie  and his crew, the true leader of the Barclay in the sixties and seventies (do you still use the Mill House Bernie?)

Walking from the Barclay to the river end in the late sixties if Norwich were kicking to that end in the second half (usually singing Rolf Harris'' two little boys for some strange reason).

The ritual of being chased up and down Prince of wales Road by ceratin away fans..

the Man U fan in 1976 or 1977 falling through the roof of the Barclay during Man U''s infamous riot that day ony to get a good kicking for his trouble.

the lovely Crombie complete with green/yellow fake hankerchief out of the top pocket.

despite all of the hooliganism in the seventies and eighties we seemed to be lucky in Norwich, no one seemed to get really badly hurt.

Fog enveloping ythe ground during the second leg of the laegue cup semi final....would we ever reach the final?

the emotion of being at Wembley to watch Norwich play Spurs in the league cup final. I know we were crap that day but the fans were amazing (i still get a lump in my throat when i recall the bugler playing the last post near the end of the game).

finally winning the cup against Sunderland in 1985.

36000 people in the ground singing on the ball city after we had beaten Crystal Palace to retain our first division (premiership as is now) in 1972.

Doctor Death........................sweeeeeeeets..hot drinks cold drinks................

taking your two pints of beer on to the terrace after half time.

Police with a sense of Humour and Stewards who could steward without being jobsworths (sorry fella''s i know you are only doing your job)

the chase riots in 1995 where the police could not control their horse or dogs. I must admitt that was bloody scary that evening. 

As you say Wiz, there are many many more

Some bloke who always used to shout ''SWAFFHAM AND NECTON'' at the topof his voice in the Barclay in the mid sixties, Was that you?.

Steve Bruce scoring to beat the scum in the Milk Cup semi final.

Two blokes walking round the edge of the pitch at half time to put up the half time scores by hanging numbers on hooks (We''ve still got a cricket scorebaoard on the second pitch at Horsford like that, Lottery money where are you? )

Having my picture taken with John Manning - bestill my beating heart- at Open Day 1968-69. Thank god it was black and white. I had on a green corduroy dress with purple corduroy shoes!

Some bloke who always used to shout ''SWAFFHAM AND NECTON'' at the topof his voice in the Barclay in the mid sixties, Was that you?.

Steve Bruce scoring to beat the scum in the Milk Cup semi final.

Two blokes walking round the edge of the pitch at half time to put up the half time scores by hanging numbers on hooks (We''ve still got a cricket scorebaoard on the second pitch at Horsford like that, Lottery money where are you? )

Having my picture taken with John Manning - bestill my beating heart- at Open Day 1968-69. Thank god it was black and white. I had on a green corduroy dress with purple corduroy shoes!

Here''s a few more:-

Kevin Keelans left hook

Albert Bennetts white boots

Hot Toddies lining the bar in the main stand

Cushions raining down on the pitch at Carrow Road.

Ron Saunders and the steep slopes at Mousehold

Jim Bones home debut running with the ball and scoring against Sunderland.

Stringers goal and charging across the pitch at Watford. We took The Rookery!

Wembley in ‘73 and that “if only” header from Forbes.

In no particular order-

1985 Milk Cup Final-including...

• Arriving at Fakenham to get the (Sanders?) coach at silly o''clock and the journey down to London
  • Greg Downs sitting at a BBC TV camera and pretending to "film" all of us behind the goal before the kick off.
  • One of the Red Devils parachute team hitting the roof at Wembley beforehand and falling off-luckily, he was OK!
  • From where I was standing -directly behind goal but quite low down- and continuously looking behind me at the massed ranks of yellow and green, made me feel ever so proud!
  • Shaking hands with all the Sunderland fans after the game.
  • Somehow, unbelievably, finding the coach afterwards in record time!

Chris Woods dropping my pen when I got his autograph before a match and my saying "...you''d better not do that in the match..." -got quite a look!

Ken Brown coming over to me and a few friends who were outside the ground one day early and saying "a''right lads, hows it going?" and proceeding to have a chat with us.

Gossy''s goal at Leeds when the entire Leeds support stood up and applauded. I think we reached our absolute peak that day.

The Jimmy Neighbour song.

My Dad telling TedMcDougall to "run for the ball McDougall" and Ted turning round and telling him to "fuck off".

Svenny''s curler at home to Wigan during the Championship season.

...and so many more!

the whole Norwich end rising to sing on the ball city after efan ekoku made it 5-1? away to tottenham when it had been piising down the whole game one easternorwich coming back from 2-0 down to beat luton 3-2 the first game after my dad had passed away ''this one''s for you dad''

Kids being lifted shoulder high from the back to the front of the stands by adult fans - I was one of those kids!

Getting up at 0400 to catch the coach to Sunderland

Nan nearly choking me to death with my scarf and ramming my wooly hat over my ears....you''ll catch your death!

My first time in the Barclay on my own (hard as nails teenager!!)

Beating Utd at Trafford in 67 and hanging on to my scarf afterwards

Gerry Mannion...my hero

Uncle Bill Punton

Top 5 for me:

1. Going to my first game with my dad, Norwich v Stoke in (I think about 1978) - it was a nil nil draw I know.

2. Being match mascot for the home game against Leicester in 1982 and having my picture taken with Chris Woods in front of the Barclay.

3. The noise and atmosphere of the last five minutes of the Milk Cup Semi against Ipswich after Bruce''s header went in - cant remember a better night ands still brings a lump to my throat.  [:''(]

4. When we scored in the Milk Cup Final - I waved the flag I had got on Wembley Way so hard the damn thing snapped in half.  Also got offered £25 quid by a Sunderland fan for my Norwich hat which had a canary perched on top (mind you everyone reckons it looked more like a pigeon).

5. Sitting directly in line with Justin Fashanu in the old South Stand when he scored the goal of the season against Liverpool.

Great thread by the way.

Watching Mel Machin score a hat-trick away to Notts Forest (the only goals he scored for city).

Think of some more later !

May 2004 - Winning promotion to the Premiership and all singing outside the City Hall.

Getting a text at 10am on Boxing Day to say that Hucks was at the ground doing an interview with Anglia TV

Milk Cup Final in 1985

Winning the Division2 title and remembering how excited my Dad was.

Hearing stories from my Dad re the 1958 cup run and how cushions used to be thrown on the pitch if they lost a game.

1992/3 Finishing 3rd in the Premiership

Dec 2003 Norwich v Cardiff and Hucks running the show on his last loan game, also scored 2 goals

Bayern Munich 1 Norwich City 2

All the Ipswich/ Norwich games we''ve won

Crying when Flecky left to go to Chelsea in 1992

Fainting in the Barclay when I was in my late teens and being carried from the back to the pitch by a dishy policeman

and theres plenty more to come !!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Kevin Keelans left hook

[/quote]

Would that be ''The Cats'' haymaker against Northampton Nutty?. With the score at 0-0, Kevin floored the Cobblers player, thus getting himself sent off, and they scored from the resulting penalty.

I was in the Barclay that day, and I was left stunned after that, much like the Northampton stiker was!.[;)]

And while I''m here, who of us threw money into the blankets being carried around the ground for a collection because the club was virtually skint?.

Talking to Darren Eadie (after he had gone to Leicester) on the phone and asking that when I met him (he was going to hire a van from me) would he mind signing my t-shirt, and instead him bringing in a signed personalised photo of himself for me saying "To Martin, thanks for your help, best wishes, Darren Eadie". Perhaps me telling him he had been on my wall as a teenageer swung it!!

Play-Off final 2002

Hearing we had signed Darren Huckerby

Beating liverpool 1-0 at the last game of the KOP and relentlessly teasing my school friends

Tying my NCFC scarf to the Shankly Gates at Anfield in 2001 in memory of Hillsborough and being amazed at even now how many scarves are tied to the the gate daily in remembrance.

Getting my first Norwich replica kit

My first ever visit into Carrow Road

Putting on my wooly scarf & bobble hat that my mum had knitted me (obscure Green & Yellow colour) - almost wetting myself with excitement as my dad took me into carrow road for my first game at 4 years old - and someone called Laurie Sheffield scoring a hat-trick for a city win - priceless........

In no particular order :

Milk Cup final 1985. The only time I''ve seen us play at Wembley, hopefully that will change some day. Fantastic occasion and the Sunderland fans were great too. I''ve still got an old video of the game, watched it a few times since and it really was a terrible game!

FA Cup QF vs Southampton 1991 - An amazing game settled by Suttons looping header if I remember rightly. Less said about the SF the better.

Rosario''s goal vs Hull in 1986. Unbelievable to think that he probably scored two of the best goals for Norwich I''ve ever seen! Better than the one v Southampton IMO.

An FA cup match vs Man Utd in the late eighties/early nineties (can''t remember exactly). Remember we won and Dale Gordon scored the winner. Think we lost in the next round vs Forest and Roy Keane scored.

The play off final. My Dad''s not got much time for modern day football so I was quite surprised when he agreed to come with me. That brief moment when we led after Iwan''s goal will always stay with me for the look in my Dad''s eye as the passion he had for NCFC when I was a kid came flooding back.

Bayern Munich at home. One of the most tense matches I can remember, I was convinced we''d blow it. The celebrations afterwards with cars flying flags and tooting their horns on the County Hall roundabout will stay with me forever.

Wigan at home on Good Friday. Two amazing goals from Svensson and Hucks made me really believe we would be promoted.

Watching Palace vs Sunderland in the pub which confirmed our promotion. I was very, very drunk!

The celebrations at City Hall after winning the Championship. The whole city seemed to be painted yellow and green.

4-4 vs Middlesborough, Safri''s goal vs Newcastle and beating Man Utd. The high points in a hugely disapointing season.

There are probably more but I''ve got work to do, cracking thread Wiz.

In no order, and only based on my 12 or so years as a city fan.

- The roar as the players came out to clap the fans after the Fulham 6-0. Never have I been so proud to be a norwich fan as then.

- Pitch invasion with Crewe. Shaking numerous pairs of hands etc.

- The final whistle away to wolves in the play offs. Nervous just doesnt come close..

- Marc Libbras first goal for city against the mancs.

- Away to Barnsley. Even though the play-offs looked dead, the number of fans plus sheer volume meant a day to remember.

My proudest moment had to be after the Inter Milan match at the San Siro where we were kept behind after the game. Never heard singing like it, and the look of bemusement on the Italian police''s faces as the volume got louder the longer it went on...and later on in the hotel where the waiters translated the match report from the local paper, and told us that it said Norwich had put up the best display from a visiting team for years, and that their fans (us) had made more noise than anyone they could remember (AC included!)

winning away at Man U in the late 80s was a great day as well - I was stood in the Stretford end with some Manc mates.

Also the parade after promotion in 87 - very, very drunk.

great thread!

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Kevin Keelans left hook

[/quote]

Would that be ''The Cats'' haymaker against Northampton Nutty?. With the score at 0-0, Kevin floored the Cobblers player, thus getting himself sent off, and they scored from the resulting penalty.

I was in the Barclay that day, and I was left stunned after that, much like the Northampton stiker was!.[;)]

And while I''m here, who of us threw money into the blankets being carried around the ground for a collection because the club was virtually skint?.

[/quote]

You''re older than I thought Wiz if you can remember that. It was 1957 and they walked round the pitch with big blankets while people threw shillings and sixpences into the blanket.(that would be 5p and 2.5p pieces to you decimalites) Oh and half crowns if you were well off (12.5p).

Do you remember the time they showered Jimmy Rimmer with coins at the Barclay End? For months afterwards the cry to all visiting goalkeepers was "You''re gonna get what Jimmy Rimmer got". (Which was probably £25.33p in loose change)

Other old time memories are;-

Standing on the old railway sleeper terracing in the old south stand.

Paying 3d for a transter from the ground into the Enclosure.

Coming out into Carrow Road at the end of a match in a crush and your feet barely touching the ground until you got to Riverside Rd

The first floodlit match (''57 I think) against Sunderland and seeing legendary figures like Len Shackelton and Cannonball Flemming.

The old pinkun scoreboard in the River End/South stand corner. The guy used to put up the half time scores with numbered squares on hooks.

Sitting on the fence behind the River End goal during reserve matches and chatting with Ken Nethercott (a hero to us boys)

Listening to the away results on the BBC at 5pm. There were no programmes on the radio that gave you any by the minute updates in those days.

Oh! and half time entertainment.......................The Drayton British Legion Band

How times have changed Wiz.

[quote user="ricardo"]Paying 3d for a transter from the ground into the Enclosure.[/quote]

Jeez, I''d forgot about that ricardo, standing in the River End facing the Barclay, there''s was a little turrnstyle to the left where you could get said transfer, I only used it on rainy days though, 3d was 3d in those days!

[quote user="ricardo"]Coming out into Carrow Road at the end of a match in a crush and your feet barely touching the ground until you got to Riverside Rd[/quote]

Ahh, many''s the time I got caught in that bedlam.

[quote user="ricardo"] How times have changed Wiz.[/quote]

You ain''t kidding mate, and not all for the better. Mind you, live games on Sky, the Internet and Radio Norfolk are on the plus side, yes?

Echo sentiments from above - a great thread and makes each of us proud to be city fans

I don''t remember my first game really, who it was against, just the general excitement around me, the crowding on the River End terracing and the smell of rain soaked bodies and as a little girl, not being able to see the match or anyone there to take me for a wee (best avoided at footie then).  Learning the songs as I went along, took me about four matches to catch onto OTBC.

Promotion and relegation in the 70s and 80s, both League Cup finals went to and we lost, but proud to be on the underground with city scarves and everyone else staring at us as though we were from a different planet!

Milk Cup win, and living in deepest Suffolk at the time, what complete and utter satisfaction picking up copy of ordered Pink Un from scummer newsagent...yes!

Travelling to so many away matches are really my most special memories, making lots of friends during my time as a city fan. 

Watching great players such as Kevin Keelan, Martin Peters, John Deehan, Dale Gordon, Ted McDougall, Phil Boyer, Dave Watson.....I could go on for hours! 

The Chase Out riots, yes, very scary, the night he left and dancing on the Lions on City Hall steps!  And not getting arrested.  The pain learning Martin O''Neill had gone, similarily Mike Walker and the mass sell off of players. 

Promotion 2003/4 and mad parties that special night - still hearing horns beeping going down POW road at 2 am and at home well after 3am! 

Signing Darren Huckerby and the stress in December while it was all being decided. 

My two children being born and knowing they were to become life long city fans with me, and the fun and pride of taking them to their first match in a great season 92/93!  How lucky were they?

Meeting so many great and humble players over the years, helping Bryan Gunn''s fund raising appeal, sponsoring players and supporting the club whenever I can.

We might not be Man Utd, but hell, we really are the best club in the world.

Far be it for me to throw a spanner in the works here...but I don''t read too many "great romantic reminicences" from the past ten years of decline......

Says it all really.......

Standing in the Old Barclay stand and moving forward or back 20 rows when we scored - hoping for a second goal so you might get to see your mates again!

Until quite recently there was a fella in the Barclay Lower Block D who would shout out "MAIM HIM" in the most pained voice every time an oppo player was running with the ball.

I with Old Shuck on the Svensson goal against Wigan - it was a great goal but I''ve seen better. For some reason it is just my favourite City goal.

Disco Dale the king of the step over.

The first set of Chase out Riots against Arsenal after the sacking of Ken Brown.

The 4-4 comeback against Boro.

the snakepit getting Etherington sent off.

The "Sweets Chocolates Hot Drinks" guy and the City players trying to hit his cart during the kick-in.

Being one of about 3000 at the reserve game when Henrik Mortenson made his debut.....

Going to matches with all my school mates between 86-89. 20 years on I still go to games with my best mate from school!!

The hideous toilets in the Barclay end that were open to the elements.

Oh so many.One that sticks out for me was promotion season, Watford away.  We were sat in the Watford home stand, right to the right hand side of the away end - Iwans last away fixture I do believe.  My Dad and I bumped into Delia on our way in, she was hanging around chatting and laughing with half-pissed City fans.  I went up to her and said ''could you say thanks to everyone in the changing room for me, please?'' - and she said ''we''ve already said it a hundred times ourselves''.Great times, coming to a Carra near you next year!

[quote user="Cluck "]

Far be it for me to throw a spanner in the works here...but I don''t read too many "great romantic reminicences" from the past ten years of decline......

Says it all really.......

Cluck,you truely are a miserable old "spanner"

[/quote]

GREAT POST WIZ

1.milk cup win-85

2.men carrying the score board round

3.tea trolly going round the pitch.

4.bayern munich win

5.malaysaia tour. unbeliavable

6.talking to john bond outside the ground.

so many more .

Sheff wednesday away,needing to win for promotion back to div 1.Lost game but still went up as shrewsbury done us a favor againsnt leicester.What a day over 12000 norwich fans all in one end middle of a heatwave as well

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Kevin Keelans left hook

[/quote]

[/quote]

The ''incident'' against Northampton was before my time really. Keelan describes it in his book as being in 64/65 when he was sent off for striking Tommy Robson. He then did it again two years later against another Northampton forward Ray Smith.

"Smith had been upsetting me throughout the match, barging me when I went up for corners and giving me a lot of backchat. I told him to watch out but he wouldn''t learn his lesson. When the refereehad turned to go upfield after a Northampton attack I gave Ray a superb left hook. He was out cold. I think that nearly everyone saw what happened apart from the ref. One man who certainly didn''t miss it was a reporter from the Northampton paper. He made a big thing of it in his report and when we went to Northampton a few weeks later I was a marked man. The crowd pelted me with apples. The pitch looked like an orchard. And I was booed everytime I touched the ball."

He must have been a Muscatt figure to the Northampton fans of that day Wiz!

I remember a few years later Keelan slamming the ball so hard onto (I think it was) Derek Possees head that he left him poleaxed on the ground. The ref gave a penalty they missed it. It was agame against Millwall sometime in the late 60''s. Anyone else remember?