Sign in to follow this  
Neilson 6

Exeter Half time Update

Exeter 1 - 2 Norwich (chadwick)

Line Up

Lewis, Hughes, Doc, Shackell, Dublin. Eagle. Spillane, Croft, Chadwick, Cureton, Strihavka

[quote user="Neilson 6"]

Exeter 1 - 2 Norwich (chadwick)

Line Up

Lewis, Hughes, Doc, Shackell, Dublin. Eagle. Spillane, Croft, Chadwick, Cureton, Strihavka

[/quote]

Many thanks, hopefully you can do a FT score as well? Who got our first?

Still 2-1 down.

Strihavka has just come off, Ryan Jarvis has taken his place.

Hughes hit the crossbar!

[quote user="No Mad"]According to Radio Norfolk - 2-1 to Exeter.[/quote]

oh dear 2-1 down to the mighty Exeter City... a clear indicator of what lies ahead for our awful team this season???  [:D]

Has the Doc made any glaring erors today???

[quote user="Smudger"]

oh dear 2-1 down to the mighty Exeter City... a clear indicator of what lies ahead for our awful team this season???  [:D]

[/quote]

Do I need to remind you of the purpose of pre-season friendlys? I really don''t know why you bother with this team, try another hobby, one you get pleasure from!

A clear indicator?

They probably were sunbathing before kick-off. Pre-season games are meaningless drivel apart from assessing fitness levels.

And today''s team was:

Lewis (Gallacher, 45)

Hughes, Dublin (Safri, 45), Shackell (Halliday, 83), Eagle (Drury, 45)

Croft (Smart, 79), Doherty, Spillane (Rossi Jarvis, 45), Chadwick (Martin, 45)

Strihavka (Ryan Jarvis, 61), Cureton (Brown, 45)

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Oh for Gods sake [:@]

[quote user="yellow blood"]

A clear indicator?

They probably were sunbathing before kick-off. Pre-season games are meaningless drivel apart from assessing fitness levels.

[/quote]Every single boring year when we have a poor pre season we get this rubbish spouted out about how its all meaningless yada yada yada..... Its extremely important for a variety of reasons. Such a defeat (I''ve no indication of the performance) should ring alarm bells. Was it last season (season before?) we got turned over by Shrimpers and U''s........ very enlightening I''d say.......Dont be so dismissive. Truth outs

[quote user="Marty"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Do I need to remind you of the purpose of pre-season friendlys? I really don''t know why you bother with this team, try another hobby, one you get pleasure from!
[/quote]

But this does give him pleasure, he enjoys us losing and hates it when we win.

A slow start & sloppy defending, while Granty & Co won''t be pressing the panic buttons. Blah Blah etc.....

It looks like we started where we left off. Still think it is ok for Garnt to keep his powder dry????

We need a new centre back..........................

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Oh for Gods sake [:@]

[/quote]

hey smugger, whats that delighted smiley for? why not just admit you can''t attend games at carrow road because you are to busy attending them at portacabin road?

seriously get a life and if you decide to persist with your boring rants, grumbles, moans and general paddies why not actually tell us what you would do in the situation of delia, grant, hucks, doc, etc?

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="yellow blood"]

A clear indicator?

[/quote]

Every single boring year when we have a poor pre season we get this rubbish spouted out about how its all meaningless yada yada yada..... Its extremely important for a variety of reasons. Such a defeat (I''ve no indication of the performance) should ring alarm bells. Was it last season (season before?) we got turned over by Shrimpers and U''s........ very enlightening I''d say.......

Dont be so dismissive. Truth outs
[/quote]

You are entitled to your opinion, but I have to say that it is completely wrong!

Pre-season is just that, before the season, before anything matters. It is the time you use to try out different ideas and to experiement with different formations, partnerships etc.

It also gives management the opportunity to discover if the squad need further strengthening.

Of course no one wants to see their team lose any match, but losing when it is of no importance is the ideal time if they must lose!

Sorry guys! I think I may have talked this one up, it may have been the ''lucky red & white striped pants'' that did it!

Gutted for City, and the travelling faithful, but I must admit to a smidgen of pride in my ''schoolboy'' team of  geographical choice, albeit nearly 50 years ago!

The best way to look at it is that it''s only a pre-season run-out for the lads, and a chance to try out different player combinations.

Chadwick took his goal well, Hoosey gave it 100%, but sad not to see Hucks on show.

One thing it has highlighted is the urgent need for cover in central defence.

Gotta close now cos I''m on my cousins P.C and he''s tired of pedalling! Looking forward to getting back to Norfolk, but the cream teas & surfing are great down here!

Onward & upward with Flybe and Granty!

Where now against Doc?  The sloppy defending appears to have been between shax and eagle, with dion struggling to organise them.

Its experimental stuff and supports the press statement earlier in the week - lets look at the squad and see where the gaps are come august. 

A clear indicator?

[/quote]

Every single boring year when we have a poor pre season we get this rubbish spouted out about how its all meaningless yada yada yada..... Its extremely important for a variety of reasons. Such a defeat (I''ve no indication of the performance) should ring alarm bells. Was it last season (season before?) we got turned over by Shrimpers and U''s........ very enlightening I''d say.......

Dont be so dismissive. Truth outs
[/quote]

Yeah, and teams like Preston who lost 5-2 yesterday to non-league opposition are really hitting the panic buttons?

Bet Derby are already planning for a record worst points score in the Premiership as they could only draw with Stafford?

Why is pre-season important? What are the variety of reasons you refer?

[quote user="yellow blood"]

[/quote]Of course its meaningless..... thats why every team in the world does it. What bwould your prep be, star jumps in the garden?If you think our half fit second string shouldn''t be beating the likes of Exeter then you have seriously low expectationsFitness assesment, tactical experiments. Positional cohesion. Team spirit. Crowd expectation. Season ticket sales. Hit the ground running.... its the 

psychological boost any team gets from a string of good results which leads to confident performances.

is it really that hard to work out? LOL

Talk about missing the point.

People are slagging off Smudger and getting all confused by the looks of things.

Firstly I will defend Smudger - something I have not done before and so am not quite used to! I actually think the guy is kidding. The smiley at the end suggests that the comment was sarcastic and tongue in cheek. That is at least how I read it.

As for pre-season. The games are important but not the results. We are in need of cover at left back and so it is likely that they are trying out various options with what we have at the moment. Infact this goes for most positions.

This isnt just for when a player is out injured for a week or more, this will be for when someone has to come off the pitch with an injury and you have three subs on the bench. You need to experiment to see who can do a job and where.

Other players will be given some experience. Big Dave obviously got a game (or most of it) to try and help him get used to the british game. As everyone has said he will need time to settle in. But his head must be all over the place at the moment.

It is a shame Spillane sounds like he did not perform so well as he put in some decent performances at the end of last season.

It is also interesting who he seems to be having a look at in his own squad. I think Lewis was given a chance to show the boss what he has along with some of the other more fringe players like Ryan Jarvis. Some of these guys only have a year left on their contracts. I think Grant is giving them a shot in pre-season to get some real experience rather than the pontins league and also seeing which players have what it take to be called upon come the start of the season.

For the next game I think you will see more of the same with other fringe players who did not get such a great run out have their chance. For the moment I think he is content on only risking a couple of the first team regulars at a time and then come closer to the season kick-off you will see a more expected side to be put out.

One of the games I would mark down for this will be West Ham where I think he will go with a pretty competative starting 11 and then experiment more in the seccond half with a couple of the positions where there is close competition.

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]

And today''s team was:

Lewis (Gallacher, 45)

Hughes, Dublin (Safri, 45), Shackell (Halliday, 83), Eagle (Drury, 45)

Croft (Smart, 79), Doherty, Spillane (Rossi Jarvis, 45), Chadwick (Martin, 45)

Strihavka (Ryan Jarvis, 61), Cureton (Brown, 45)

[/quote]

Eagle Left Back?

Doherty Centre Mid? wtf?

Pre season results dont matter ( i can remember perusing ceefax about 3 years ago and seeing Bury but 4 past man u without reply), its all about fitness, blooding new players, trying out different formations, different strategies, and perhaps uncovering 1 or 2 suprises which u can use as the "ace up the sleeve" during the season.

not too bothered about the fact we lost to Exeter, it would of been a good introduction to English football for big Dave, and Granty would of been experimenting to see what happened.

jas :)

[/quote]

Of course its meaningless..... thats why every team in the world does it. What bwould your prep be, star jumps in the garden?
If you think our half fit second string shouldn''t be beating the likes of Exeter then you have seriously low expectations

Fitness assesment, tactical experiments. Positional cohesion. Team spirit. Crowd expectation. Season ticket sales. Hit the ground running.... its the 

psychological boost any team gets from a string of good results which leads to confident performances.

is it really that hard to work out? LOL
[/quote]

Exeter had already played 3 pre-season games but as Championship players, yes we should have won but I still fail to see why you feel it is important to win these meaningless games. I agree that fitness assessment, tactical experiments etc. are important that''s why the actual result doesn''t matter.

A win is a win is a win. You can play the backside off another team but if you lose 1-0 the journey back aint a lot of fun. Of course its not important to the degree of a league game, no brainer, but it IS important for confidence