Sign in to follow this  
Herbert

big issues in little midfield - offer in for Etuhu

[quote user="Marty"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Old Shuck"]

I see. Buy him for £450''000, sell him for over a £1 Million profit.

This for a player who was roundly criticised by many fans last season who wanted him anywhere but in the team, a player who has a good game every now and again (vs Chelsea yes, at places like Burnley, not so effective) for us?

I guess the "release fee" is just another stick to beat the Board with though, isn''t it? Am assuming now if we sold Andy Hughes because he had a "release fee" in his contract for £1.5 Million you''d all be slagging the club off over that, wouldn''t you?

[/quote]

This is all news to me today... where is the source of evidence as others have asked?

Myself and Nutty were in agreement over possibly one thing only last season... in that we both thought that Etuhu was by far the best midfielder out of a bad bunch at the club by a considerable way...

I would be over the moon if we lost Hughes and would not particularly care if we lost Safri (as long as he was replaced), but losing our best midfielder after losing the best striker in the league (only a few weeks ago) would be a bitter pill to swallow!!!

[/quote]

Statistically we have the leagues best striker, it wasn''t Earnshaw

[/quote]

Your point being???

Because actually you are wrong anyway... 

Cureton was last years top goal scorer (this does not make him a better striker).

If we are going on stats alone then Earnie wins the best striker in last years Championship hands down... remind me of both Eanie and Cureton''s goals per game ratio''s last season again.

As I have said WE LOST THE BEST STRIKER IN THE LEAGUE. 

I am not knocking Cureton because I think he is a good player and have fought his corner many times.  But just take a step back for one moment, THINK, and tell me why has Earnie been snapped up by a Premiership team when Cureton has never even been looked at by one (as far as we are all aware)???

[quote user="Marty"]

Statistically we have the leagues best striker, it wasn''t Earnshaw

[/quote]

in reality, I doubt Cureton was the best in the league, he just scored th emost goals.  Had Erny played the whole season he WOULD have finished above Cureton''s total.  And Goals don''t just make the player.  Opta probably didnt have Cureton as top striker.

[quote user="Sir Quinny"]might not be such a huge issue - money for a replacment and Spillane waiting in the wings to partner Brellier - have also heard he is ill though - so wait and see I guess[/quote]

hehehe maybe we could sell Spillane, Fotheringham and Bexfield too and give you a game QUINNY???  [:D]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Michael Starr"]

Gutted to see him go if he does! If Roy Keane rates him, fair play. Etuhu was our BEST player towards the end of last season. If i was Dickson, i''d walk... Premiership? Appreciated? Possibly more money? Screw the boo boys here!

Good luck to him, i''ll miss his pressence, and so will Norwich next season.

[/quote]

Is it any surprise that just like Hughes, he has suffered exactly the same treatment here as at his last Championship club?? Fans are very similar the country over.

Etuhu has actually won many fans over with his improved performances at the end of last season, and I thought we had seen the new Etuhu at the start of last season.  A consistent season next year he could be the best player at the club, but if he goes missing again during the middle of the season will anyone really be surprised??

[/quote]

According to my source in the club - He has gone for definiate (Watch this space)

CRS

[quote user="Christopher Roy Sutton"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Michael Starr"]

Gutted to see him go if he does! If Roy Keane rates him, fair play. Etuhu was our BEST player towards the end of last season. If i was Dickson, i''d walk... Premiership? Appreciated? Possibly more money? Screw the boo boys here!

Good luck to him, i''ll miss his pressence, and so will Norwich next season.

[/quote]

Is it any surprise that just like Hughes, he has suffered exactly the same treatment here as at his last Championship club?? Fans are very similar the country over.

Etuhu has actually won many fans over with his improved performances at the end of last season, and I thought we had seen the new Etuhu at the start of last season.  A consistent season next year he could be the best player at the club, but if he goes missing again during the middle of the season will anyone really be surprised??

[/quote]

According to my source in the club - He has gone for definiate (Watch this space)

CRS

[/quote]

didnt know the tea lady was privvy to such information CRS.

the club must hire more people than Norwich Union! lol

jas :)

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

So Roy Keane wants a lazy waster who only turns up once in a while does he?

Get real, get off Etuhu''s back and stop this ridiculous, insidious & nasty vendetta against him.

You all know better than Worthy, better than Grant, better than Actim and now better than Roy Keane, I gather.

And I suppose that if he ran around the field huffing & puffing & grunting with effort like Hughsey you would all be happy.

Give me strength.

OTBC

[/quote]

actims stats are flawed anyway. if u make 1 pass in a game and it finds ur own player u will have a 100% pass accuracy.

Allt he actim stats said was that etuhu runs around alot, Running around doesnt make u a good footballer. i dispute that Actim actually attend all games up and down the country and rely solely on videos or match reports before making their minds up on a player. Etuhu was crap in majoirty of games last season yet consistantly got higher stats than someone like earnie or hucks in actims list.

and facts and figures are alright but its winning games that count. and players like Etuhu dont equal winners im afraid.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="AJ"]I for one will be upset to see him go, and I myself have never really been a fan of him,

If this release clause crap is true, then the board are a bigger bunch of idiots than I thought!
[/quote]
Right...

So you''re not a fan - but you''ll be sorry to see him leave? Surely a contradiction in terms???

As for more release clause waffle, so what if it is true? Etuhu spent most of last season being slated by the majority of fans who at one point would have PAID another club to take him off us, and now suddenly a possible £1.5 million move is idiotic???

IF the clause IS there, and IF we sell for £1.5 million, I''d see this as a good piece of business, a player who cost us £450,000 going for £1 mil more than we paid, who has admittedly has potential but has not yet demonstrated consistency at any of his clubs - and you think this is idiotic???

Hmmmm....
[/quote]

Being realistic Etuhu is one of very few signings who has looked like a decent bargain in recent years. If everything goes true to form Grant will get about £500k on a replacement and very few of the players we have brought in for that sort of money have looked above average.

I know people will say "but we might get the next Etuhu or Francis" but realistically we are much more likely to get a Hughes/Croft/Doherty.

[quote]actims stats are flawed anyway...  i dispute that Actim actually attend all games up and down the country

and rely solely on videos or match reports before making their minds up

on a player.[/quote]

This may or may not be of interest to people :

Last seasons'' top 10 Championship players.

1      G McSheffrey      Birmingham      735

2     J Cureton     Colchester     722

3     C Edwards     Sunderland     653

4     C Iwelumo     Colchester     647

5     D Huckerby     Norwich     631

6     M Chopra     Cardiff     630

7     G Alexander     Preston     622

8     N Bendtner     Birmingham     610

9     D Nugent     Preston     592

10     S Howard     Derby         582

Cureton is very highly rated by the index.

Actim Index FAQ.

They don''t say whether or not they attend every game.  They do say that they only measure objective events.

[quote]What is the purpose of the Actim Index?

* It identifies the players who make key contributions.

* It allows players to be ranked against each other at random or

using such criteria as playing position, nationality, age, or

geographical location of their team.

* It highlights the key players in a league or team.

* It shows the form of a player or team.

* Individual player/team performances can be scientifically analysed over a season or period of time within a season.

* It provides fans with the knowledge of who is the best.

How is the Actim Index calculated?

Complex mathematical formulae were devised to calculate the value of

each player''s contribution, match by match. In simple terms, the Actim

Index comprises four calculations:

* Calculation 1 - Assesses a player''s contribution to a winning team, based on points won by the team when he appeared.

* Calculation 2 - Assesses a player''s performance in each game, by

allocating points for actions that positively contribute to a winning

performance such as shots, tackles, clearances and saves. It also takes

points away from players for negative actions such as yellow/red cards

and shots off target.

* Calculation 3 - Allocates points based on time on the pitch.

* Calculation 4 - Allocates points for goal scorers.

* Calculation 5 - Allocates points for assists.

* Calculation 6 - Allocates points for clean sheets.

Is there a subjective element to the Actim Index? Do you award points for entertainment value?

The Actim Index only includes actions that can be measured objectively.

Skill, passion and flair are subjective factors so they are not

included in the rating system.[/quote]

I suspect that PG may be thinking of Fotheringham and Brellier as a potential midfield duo, especially IF Safri and Etuhu are on their way-their styles of play may well complement one another anyway.

Spillane may well come into the picture next season as well, though isn''t his best position -and favoured one- centre back?

If YS and DE do leave, the Ben Watson stories will start up again won''t they?

that will teach sunderland for flogging chris brown to us, they can have dickson(i only play when the sun shines)etuhu

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

For me a £1m profit in two years for a player who often seems to let things pass him by would be pretty good going; Etuhu is a decent performer on his day but those occasions are simply not frequent enough.  No doubt the club will be slated for any release clause if it is true, but from the comments on here during last season most would have let him go for next to nothing (I seem to remember a link with Middlesbro for £1.5m being ridiculed from here to next week not long ago!).   Of course we''d need to replace him and/or Saf if either/both left, but imo there are plenty of decent players out there who can perform well and consistently at the level we need for the money we''d have.

[/quote]

what''s the good in profit unless its reinvested in decent replacments.

this club is a shambles.

we take 1 step forward and then 2 back.

we only spend a fraction of what we get and if there are decent alternatives for 1.5M then other clubs will get them first.

Have East Stirling got anyone available?

Hucks must be furious at being conned into extending his contract.

-

lol

My ''source'' got the info from one of the 1st team squad who they saw yesterday - Dixon left training Friday to discuss the move.

CRS

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]
They don''t say whether or not they attend every game.  They do say that they only measure objective events.

Is there a subjective element to the Actim Index? Do you award points for entertainment value?

The Actim Index only includes actions that can be measured objectively. Skill, passion and flair are subjective factors so they are not included in the rating system.[/quote][/quote]

so they havent said they attend every game, if they dont how can they then base their findings on Fact? its ok saying Darren Huckerby made 5 dribbles up the wing, but without Actim being there how do they know this?

to observe the results of an experiment is to be there and record it, if Actim do not do this then surely their stats are a Mockery?

i have a feeling roy keane is going to get a lot more out of him than grant has we all know he has potentual but do we realy need the sort im not bothered attitude in midfeild he turns it on for the cameras the only good game i can remember him having is at chelsea its a shame to lose him as if he performed every week we would have one of the leages best midfeilders at our club it is inevitable that both him and safri will leave so lets move on and get in ben watson for starters.

[quote]

so they havent said they attend every game, if they dont how can

they then base their findings on Fact? its ok saying Darren Huckerby

made 5 dribbles up the wing, but without Actim being there how do they

know this?

to observe the results of an experiment is to be there and record

it, if Actim do not do this then surely their stats are a Mockery?[/quote]

Dunno jas, I guess that question isn''t asked frequently enough to be a, er, frequently asked question.Ask it, go on, I dares ya [:)]

[quote user="Christopher Roy Sutton"]

-

lol

My ''source'' got the info from one of the 1st team squad who they saw yesterday - Dixon left training Friday to discuss the move.

CRS

[/quote]

Looks like your source was right CRS... the Pink Un have today confirmed that he is up in the North East having talks with Keane.

This club is a laughing stock... they will probably get the fright of their lives at the Mighty Lowestoft Town tomorow evening!!!

My name is Dickson Etuhu.

Last year, and the year before, most of the fans at the club I played for slagged me off.

I tried to be honest about my fitness and state of mind but some of them wouldnt give up, even though I kept saying how well I wanted to do.

If I have a couple of bad games at the start of this season, they´ll do it again.

Now, a premiership team, managed by a legend, has asked me to join them.

I can have a clean slate, in the top league, and get away from all the people who keep having a go at me.

Er. What what you do?

[quote]

My name is Dickson Etuhu.

Last year, and the year before, most of the fans at the club I played for slagged me off.

I tried to be honest about my fitness and state of mind but some of

them wouldnt give up, even though I kept saying how well I wanted to do.

If I have a couple of bad games at the start of this season, they´ll do it again.

Now, a premiership team, managed by a legend, has asked me to join them.

I can have a clean slate, in the top league, and get away from all the people who keep having a go at me.

Er. What what you do[/quote]Even if you were adored by the fans, you''d take the Premiership job.  A lot of Championship "name" players have this season.Let''s just see who replaces him before we get all excited, eh ?

I couldn''t care less if Etuhu is sold exept that it''s one squad member less. He is and always will be a useless lump. Saf on the the other hand is the best passer at the club and it would be a disgrace if Grant lets him go. 

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]

so they havent said they attend every game, if they dont how can they then base their findings on Fact? its ok saying Darren Huckerby made 5 dribbles up the wing, but without Actim being there how do they know this?

to observe the results of an experiment is to be there and record it, if Actim do not do this then surely their stats are a Mockery?[/quote]

Dunno jas, I guess that question isn''t asked frequently enough to be a, er, frequently asked question.

Ask it, go on, I dares ya [:)]
[/quote]

Actim is a product of PA Sport Ltd which is a subsidiary of the Press Association which itself produces match reports on every premier & football league match in England - and has done so for donkey''s years.

Question answered below:

PA Sport Services logo Actim stats

Actim Stats Explained

Actim Stats are a collection of team, player and match statistics.

They are derived from all the actions that take place during a match, including goals, shots on target, corners, fouls, offsides, passes, tackles, blocks and clearances. The raw data can be used to generate a wide range of tables and statistics such as player profiles, team and player head-to-heads and form guides.

PA Sport gathers match data for every Barclays English Premier League, Coca-Cola Championship and Scottish Premier League game.

The data is gathered by two methods - real-time match analysis and the study of video footage. The real-time analysis is conducted by ex-professional footballers that report on action at the grounds as it happens. Further, more detailed analysis is obtained by studying videos of the matches.

OTBC

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Rumour has it he has a minimum release fee of around 1.5 million.  And he is off to Sunderland.....   [:S]

I have never been his biggest fan, but he will prove difficult to replace.

[/quote]

And this from a man who continually said stuff like:-

A great blessing. In fact we have another blessing, the team played well when Eboohoo wasnt picked - not really surprising mind considering how poor this loser has been for us.

It may also depend on whether this is the third game this season that Eboohoo actually turns up for... If it is lets hope opposition scouts are watching and can take this loser off our hands in the summer.

This board is all about opinions but if I had your opinion on Etuhu I would now be congratulating the board for setting such a high sell on clause and getting 1.5m for a player I would never have in the team.

The trouble with changing horses mid-stream is you tend to fall off...........