Sign in to follow this  
KidCanary

Do people not understand the term release clause?

I keep reading posts by people moaning about the board selling players and what not, which i dont really understand.Both Earnshaw and Etuhu have release clauses in their contract, the club AT THIS STAGE has no say on whether the players stays or not, once that minimum fee has been met.Whether you want to blame the board for having such clauses in their contract is up to you, but you wouldnt have got these players with out them.The board can''t win.If they dont get players in, they get moaned at.If they introduce clauses that enable them to get said players in, they get moaned at.The players have chosen to leave and this situation/these clauses are the nature of the beast these days.For every Cureton there are 10 earnshaws......

The point is 2 fold, why did we give a release clause to a player we rescued from Preston Reserves and why did it take until last week to renegotiate the contract? If we had looked to renegotiate at the end of last season for both Earnie and Dickson we may have been able to set the release clause higher or remove it all together, but our board seems to be reactive not proactive and unfortunately when this happens it is very often to late.

[quote user="KidCanary"]I keep reading posts by people moaning about the board selling players and what not, which i dont really understand.

Both Earnshaw and Etuhu have release clauses in their contract, the club AT THIS STAGE has no say on whether the players stays or not, once that minimum fee has been met.

Whether you want to blame the board for having such clauses in their contract is up to you, but you wouldnt have got these players with out them.

[/quote]

then why sign them? they are mercenaries, plain and simple.. get in players who WANT to play for the club and do well.. not players who are using us as a shop window

jas :)

[quote user="KidCanary"]I keep reading posts by people moaning about the board selling players and what not, which i dont really understand.

Both Earnshaw and Etuhu have release clauses in their contract, the club AT THIS STAGE has no say on whether the players stays or not, once that minimum fee has been met.

Whether you want to blame the board for having such clauses in their contract is up to you, but you wouldnt have got these players with out them.

The board can''t win.

If they dont get players in, they get moaned at.

If they introduce clauses that enable them to get said players in, they get moaned at.

The players have chosen to leave and this situation/these clauses are the nature of the beast these days.

For every Cureton there are 10 earnshaws......
[/quote]

They should not be signing players who could leave at any moment.

How the hell can Granty run a ship if he can''t stop the crew jumping overboard.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

then why sign them? they are mercenaries, plain and simple.. get in players who WANT to play for the club and do well.. not players who are using us as a shop window

[/quote]

And who would those players be? All footballers are mercenaries and will invariably go where they can get a bigger salary or can showcase their talents on a bigger stage ie. Premiership. I bet if a big club came in for Chris Martin (a Norwich supporter) then his head would be turned. Loyalty counts for nothing. The only people with any loyalty in the game these days are the supporters!

Of cause i understand what a release clause is,earnshaws i also understand,but why did dickson have one.He was in preston reserves and going nowhere,he should have been jumping through hoops to get to norwich not already planning his departure.This board is a joke i wonder how many of our new players have got release clauses ie julien brellier will not ask to leave norwich unless they lose 5 games before christmas then any club offering a box of crackers can talk to him

[/quote]

[/quote]

99% players are mercenaries.

I had a reply to that question from Neil Doncaster this morning.  He told me that Etuhu''s agent said he would only sign if the clause was in, otherwise he would accept the deal Southampton had on the table.  So it looks like it was an act of desparation to get him to Norfolk...

[quote user="canarychris"]The point is 2 fold, why did we give a release clause to a player we rescued from Preston Reserves and why did it take until last week to renegotiate the contract? If we had looked to renegotiate at the end of last season for both Earnie and Dickson we may have been able to set the release clause higher or remove it all together, but our board seems to be reactive not proactive and unfortunately when this happens it is very often to late.[/quote]

[quote user="KidCanary"]I keep reading posts by people moaning about the board selling players and what not, which i dont really understand.Both Earnshaw and Etuhu have release clauses in their contract, the club AT THIS STAGE has no say on whether the players stays or not, once that minimum fee has been met.Whether you want to blame the board for having such clauses in their contract is up to you, but you wouldnt have got these players with out them.[/quote]

[/quote]Jas, welcome to the world of football, all players are the same, mercenary g*ts after only success and money. Players only ever want to play for this club for the money and the success, if they can''t get it here they will go elsewhere. Anyway it''s like KidCanary said the club can''t win, no matter what they do they will be critised.

I,m very suspicious of these clauses, if the club are serious about keeping these people make the buyout amount higher in the first place, @ it seems a bit conveinient that we just lost 2 players who just happen to have buyout clauses, i pay for my season ticket monthly, i was quite optimistic about next season, getting a bit concerned now, if we lose safs i think hucks will rethink, if we lose him i will be cancelling, will probably be able to buy tickets at the gate.

what a crock, we should not be signing players in the first place with these sort of clauses, surely we want committed players from the day they sign, these clauses do not show a overwhelming desire to play for the club, so dont SIGN THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

[quote user="ricky knight"]what a crock, we should not be signing players in the first place with these sort of clauses, surely we want committed players from the day they sign, these clauses do not show a overwhelming desire to play for the club, so dont SIGN THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.[/quote]But if the manager has targeted these players and we do what you say he will then be forced to go for second best and that will then start you lot of moaners of again about signing second tier players, christ i would hate to be on this board with fans like you lot get real norwich are not the man utd of the championship if we don''t agree to these clauses they will sign else where .

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jas, welcome to the world of football, all players are the same, mercenary g*ts after only success and money. Players only ever want to play for this club for the money and the success, if they can''t get it here they will go elsewhere. Anyway it''s like KidCanary said the club can''t win, no matter what they do they will be critised.
[/quote]

I understand this, and all the other points made above. My arguement is though that for every Mercernshaw and Eboohoo there are players who wont take a release clause. True the majority of them are in it for the money, but theres also decent guys like Darren Huckerby, and although i dont rate him as a player, Adam Drury who are at the club because they want to be. we arent a shop window for them, they dont want a release clause, they might take obscene wages i dont know.. but these are the players we should be going for!

if someone says they want a clause to benefit them laugh at them, reip the contract up, say "thanks.. but no thanks" and look elsewhere. Let them fester in the resevres of the club trying to sell them, getting fat, getting unfit, and being forgotten about.. might make them think.

[quote user="ricky knight"]what a crock, we should not be signing players in the first place with these sort of clauses, surely we want committed players from the day they sign, these clauses do not show a overwhelming desire to play for the club, so dont SIGN THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.[/quote]

Dead right Ricky.

There''s too many people swallowing the boards excuses on this matter.

I don''t see other Championship clubs being torn apart like this.

People are angry about the situation and are taking it out on the board, i can understand that, it will settle down once people have a chance to think about things, i dont think either midfielder (if Safs goes as well) will be missed as much as people think due to their inconsistancies, be that through performance or injuries.  They will be missed if we dont manage to replace them, purely down to numbers mind.Stating things like "why was the amount so low" and why would the board allow such a clause is in my mind pretty stupid.  The club will want to get as high a return as possible, surely everyone can agree on that, its in their best interests.  If someone goes for 1.5m or 3.5m then its because thats the most they could negotiate.People are right to feel angry, im fed up of people staying with our club 2 seconds, starting with Ashton, who gave us a total of 1 year, but direct you''re anger at the people responsible, which is surely the players.All the power is with them, i really cant see how any one can argue otherwise.@Jas, im sure there are players out there that arent mercenaries i.e. huckerby, but you can count them on one hand with no fingers, add to the fact that we arent the only club chasing said players, you end up limiting you''re choices greatly.I would like to see another midfielder signed, i liked the suggestion of Ben Watson from Palace thats been bandied about.I would like to see Rossi Jarvis and Spillane given a chance as backup/cover this season.I think we have more to come from Fozzy, lets see how he plays after a full pre season, i dont think he should be judged on the sporadic appearances of last season.

[quote user="barclayendboy"][quote user="ricky knight"]what a crock, we should not be signing players in the first place with these sort of clauses, surely we want committed players from the day they sign, these clauses do not show a overwhelming desire to play for the club, so dont SIGN THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.[/quote]

But if the manager has targeted these players and we do what you say he will then be forced to go for second best and that will then start you lot of moaners of again about signing second tier players, christ i would hate to be on this board with fans like you lot get real norwich are not the man utd of the championship if we don''t agree to these clauses they will sign else where .
[/quote]

let them go what good are they for 6 months or a year anyway, blimey some of you lot will excuse anything, i suppose if Hucks goes, it will be for the good of the club, he was never any good anyway, we have got that fellah from hitchin, top scorer got to be good, delia said so, blimey, there is none so blind, as them who wont see.

[quote user="ricky knight"]

[quote user="barclayendboy"][quote user="ricky knight"]what a crock, we should not be signing players in the first place with these sort of clauses, surely we want committed players from the day they sign, these clauses do not show a overwhelming desire to play for the club, so dont SIGN THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.[/quote]But if the manager has targeted these players and we do what you say he will then be forced to go for second best and that will then start you lot of moaners of again about signing second tier players, christ i would hate to be on this board with fans like you lot get real norwich are not the man utd of the championship if we don''t agree to these clauses they will sign else where .[/quote]

let them go what good are they for 6 months or a year anyway, blimey some of you lot will excuse anything, i suppose if Hucks goes, it will be for the good of the club, he was never any good anyway, we have got that fellah from hitchin, top scorer got to be good, delia said so, blimey, there is none so blind, as them who wont see.

[/quote]Your basing your argument there on some thing no one has said.Its like me saying every thing is fine we have 5 million in the bank and we will definitely be getting a world class midfielder.Theres no point arguing any thing but facts, which is half the problem with this message board, every one gets wound up by assumptions they have made.

Can someone clear something up for me?

Who negotiates contracts and has the final word on whether the contract is worth the player?

I always thought that it was the manager that made the final decision, in which case Worthingtons legacy is deeper rooted than we thought. And I will appologise now to CJF for being spot on - all be it in hindsight. Worthington should have gone sooner.

Can you imagine what he could have done should he have been given the Leicester job?!! Milan old chum, have you got some spare cash - I happen to know a couple of players with buy out clauses that you might like to purchase!

I hope to god that Grant knows what he is doing - if they were offering contracts at the weekend then they have known for longer than that in which case Grant and Duffy will have been scouting or at least getting people to scout for that eventuality. Brellier was brought in as cover for Safri - whether he left or stayed. Again I think that one is a little more pradictable.

Although I hate it I do think that I would rather these two players went now and give the management time to replace them rather than go in January at the last moment - it could have been more badly.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="KidCanary"]I keep reading posts by people moaning about the board selling players and what not, which i dont really understand.Both Earnshaw and Etuhu have release clauses in their contract, the club AT THIS STAGE has no say on whether the players stays or not, once that minimum fee has been met.Whether you want to blame the board for having such clauses in their contract is up to you, but you wouldnt have got these players with out them.[/quote]

[/quote]Jas, welcome to the world of football, all players are the same, mercenary g*ts after only success and money. Players only ever want to play for this club for the money and the success, if they can''t get it here they will go elsewhere. Anyway it''s like KidCanary said the club can''t win, no matter what they do they will be critised.[/quote]

I understand this, and all the other points made above. My arguement is though that for every Mercernshaw and Eboohoo there are players who wont take a release clause. True the majority of them are in it for the money, but theres also decent guys like Darren Huckerby, and although i dont rate him as a player, Adam Drury who are at the club because they want to be. we arent a shop window for them, they dont want a release clause, they might take obscene wages i dont know.. but these are the players we should be going for!

[/quote]You can''t be sure of any of that, I bet drury, hucks, would jump ship if the right offer came in. Players are all selfish, you may think Hucks is a "nice" guy but do you really know him?

Unfortunately it is human nature to make assumptions based on what has happened previously, which is exactly what is happening here. There is a general perception that the board do not reinvest in the playing staff, hence the assumption is that it will continue. Unfortunately until the board show us otherwise these assumptions will continue to be made.

I''m as frustrated as everybody else at these sales but, as has been said countless times, the players wouldn''t be here in the first place if the clauses weren''t included. It''s all very well saying we should only get players in who really want to stay here, but how do you reconcile that with people''s demands for decent, ambitious players to be brought in? Every decent, ambitious player wants to play in the Premiership and nobody with talent is going to want to sign for a mid-table Championship club without the option to get out if a better offer comes along. If we start stipulating the only players we can sign have to be content with the likelihood of mid-table Championship mediocrity then the only players we''ll ever sign will be the ones who know damn-well they''ll never be good enough for the Premiership.

Why is everybody moaning- why do we buy players in the first place- to play for us. If someone comes in after a season or so and takes the player, leaving us with a profit, that is good business. If Hucks or anyone else retires or goes on a free all the transfer money we paid is lost. With a sell on we can start again. Not ideal, but at least we have not lost.

The board can''t win.

If they dont get players in, they get moaned at.

If they introduce clauses that enable them to get said players in, they get moaned at.

The players have chosen to leave and this situation/these clauses are the nature of the beast these days.

For every Cureton there are 10 earnshaws......
[/quote]

If they want get out clauses then they are not 100% commited so dont sign them and dont be held to ransom!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="KidCanary"]I keep reading posts by people moaning about the board selling players and what not, which i dont really understand.Both Earnshaw and Etuhu have release clauses in their contract, the club AT THIS STAGE has no say on whether the players stays or not, once that minimum fee has been met.Whether you want to blame the board for having such clauses in their contract is up to you, but you wouldnt have got these players with out them.The board can''t win.If they dont get players in, they get moaned at.If they introduce clauses that enable them to get said players in, they get moaned at.The players have chosen to leave and this situation/these clauses are the nature of the beast these days.For every Cureton there are 10 earnshaws......[/quote]

If they want get out clauses then they are not 100% commited so dont sign them and dont be held to ransom!

[/quote]You cant then go and complain when the standard or amount of players the club ends up signing is not what you expect, because finding good players who want to join us with out such clauses in our current standing is going to be nigh on impossible.  That or they will have to be predominantly foreign players.

[quote user="chicken"]

I always thought that it was the manager that made the final decision, in which case Worthingtons legacy is deeper rooted than we thought. And I will appologise now to CJF for being spot on - all be it in hindsight. Worthington should have gone sooner.

Can you imagine what he could have done should he have been given the Leicester job?!! Milan old chum, have you got some spare cash - I happen to know a couple of players with buy out clauses that you might like to purchase!

[/quote]

To be fair to Worthington, both players were desperate purchases, with Etuhu signed after our disastrous start to the season, and Erny signed on deadline day as a last minute gamble to try and shoot us into the play-offs.  This is probably why we were not in a great bargaining position with either.  Whether they were the right purchases is another matter altogether, but under those situations there is not a lot you can do.