Sign in to follow this  
Pottsy

Michael Spillane - The Centre Back

Alot of people have been dicussing options at centre back for the new season. I believe ideally we will sign a top centre back who is a leader but if not I think the best option the club has is Michael Spillane.

I know Peter Grant sees him as a centre back. He can play centre midfield like he did last year for a couple of games but Grant sees him as a centre back. Just think a back 5 of Marshall, Otsemobor, Spillane, Shackell and Drury has huge potential. Grant did move him to centre back when Dublin was pushed forward in the latter games in the season and I noticed he played there again last nite.

We know Docherty isn''t good enough and I would rather see Dublin played up top.

I think we need to give Micky a chance, I know he had some offers from VERY big Premiership clubs before signing proffesional terms with us and do worry that if we don''t give him a regular start he will either leave or turn into another Ryan Jarvis, a striker who had huge potential but due to not playing regularly has never developed.

Spillane''s a talented player but he''s very raw, I would personally like to see him loaned out to someone first for a few months to get some experience. No doubt he has a lot of potential though.

No offence to him but i would rather get one in and send him out on loan, besides we should have money to spend

Yes that would be fine. As I said I think the best option is to get a top defender in but if not he is certainly better than the other centre backs. Last year was a major problem for him as he was seen as too good for the youth team, not getting competive footy in the res and Grant refused to let him out on loan even when he asked as we needed him here as our squad was so small. If this continued he will not turn into the player he can be which will be, he could be a multimillion pound player in the future but he, like Lewis must get games, because he is seen as better than Rossi, Ryan Jarvis, Matty Halliday he got slightly punished last year as we ''needed him here''. I think Grant is dealing with the younsters much better than his predecessors by letting them go out on loan but Micky needs to either play here or go on a seasons long loan.