Sign in to follow this  
Paul Lamberts Disciple

Norwich is a small city and suffers from geographical isolation. In addition, NCFC is without large financial backing.

The only way you can get and keep quality players is by a) being rich or b) challenging for honours. Since we are in neither boat, I fail to see why many on here are shocked by this years'' transfer activity.

Until we finally do a Pompey and get a large amount of money plowed in, or we manage to defy current footballing trends and put together a TEAM that is greater than the sum of its parts, this situation will not change. Those are the two routes. And since investment looks a long way off, we can only trust the manager to build that team.

Our role, at the moment, is in getting 100% behind Peter Grant in this unenviable task, and maintaining belief that by some degree of luck or skill, he can defy this money trend and put the right team together.

Reading is a small City that suffers from Geographical isolation and is without large financial Backing too.

So are Pompey. Wigan is in the North west granted, but is in a rugby town with bigger clubs all around it.

and yet all 3 of them have done very well thank u very much.

If pompey can attract Kanu and cole to that Sh*t hole then whats stopping us?

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Reading is a small City that suffers from Geographical isolation and is without large financial Backing too.

So are Pompey. Wigan is in the North west granted, but is in a rugby town with bigger clubs all around it.

[/quote]

I think you have miss read the post. He is saying we are in an isolated area, not close to another other larger city (reading is south central, close to  london), and pompey and wigan have a massive financial backing, which he is rightly pointing out we don''t have. This is why we have to go the team way. I don''t really understand your point jas apart from backing up the original post, rather than pointing out a mistake in his logic

[/quote]But all those teams you mentioned have a slight advantage over us they are premier league clubs with bags of money.

[/quote]

Hit the nail on the head again Jas. well done mate.

[quote user="Nigel"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Hit the nail on the head again Jas. well done mate.

[/quote]

I wouldn''t say that Reading is geographically isolated, it''s a half an hour from the big smoke. Also, Portsmouth is less than 1h away from London. Wigan is an exeption. Also, how successful are Wigan, just managed to stay up, not able to sell out the ground. reading may have short lived success but only time will tell.

My point is - if we are fans, we have no choice but to hope, pray, trust (take your pick) that PG is that 1 in 20 managers that can put a true winning team together, without a) large investment (Pompey) or b) favourable geography (Reading) or c) an already succesful team (Wigan.)

Dont be blinkered by your love for NCFC and Norwich to the fact that, when you look at it, not many places in the UK are as unfavourably located. The best comparison in geography and transport is the West Country. How many good teams come from the West Country? Even Kent, a similarly agricultural area in which I grew up, is nearer to London with vastly better tranport links than Norfolk, and has precisely no major clubs to its name.

Yet many fans here gnash their teeth wildly at the failure to buy or retain good, valuable players of quality. Like I say, until Norwich is moved, entirely re-marketed to the rest of the UK, or we are subject to a large investment - we have to hope PG can be that special manager to get good players to perform above their level and as a team. Incidentally - in my opinion, the image problem Norwich has is equally deterrent to players as it is to prospective investers. A double problem.

Accept who and where we are, back the manager, enjoy your football. How satisfying to fight for success, not buy it with cash or glamour... to buy it in the old Cloughian sense. Shrewd transfers, shrewd tactics, players with passion for the shirt.

Oh.... and fans behind their team, despite the seemingly insurmountable odds.

[/quote]

Has Reading moved? Is this a different Reading to the one on the M4 on the West coast mainline in Silicon value?

[/quote]

.......oh and all three have had massive injections of cash from rich owners!

Our geographical location could be our secret weapon.  I have travelled all over the UK and with the exception of a couple of places I really can''t thinkof a better place to live and bring up my children.  So maybe the answer is to forget single, young men and go for those players with wives and a young family.

Also how many players actually live near the club they play for.  Very few probably.  After all driving is no hard ship when it is being done in a £50,000+ exotic car.

"Go for players with wives and young family."

Doncaster is on the phone to John Salako as we speak....

Sadly, good footballers in their twenties are arrogant hotshots with little interest in charming habitat or good schools.

Yes the single ones with money burning a hole in their pocket are, totally agree.  However there are young players out there with young familys who don''t like the lairy life.  If we can start doing it a little more on the pitch and look like we might start challenging for stuff then it could be the perfect blend of quiet idealism combined with competitive ambitious football.

Precisely the scenario that attracted Darren Huckerby in the first place.

[/quote]

One Word: "Motorway"

Sunderland are even more isolated than us and they seem to be doing ok. Hull, Plymouth and Cardiff are all ambitious clubs who seem to view there isolation as a positive in that they don`t have any competition from other clubs in their area. This applies even more so to us as we don`t even have competition from other major sports ie. rugby.

I agree that it presents problems, but for every Bellamy/O`Niell there is a Iwan/Holt who is going to come here and love it. I think we are extremely lucky to have a catchment area of over 1 million people, in a fantastic area not too far from London, with no real competition. As many positives as negatives i would say.

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Has Reading moved? Is this a different Reading to the one on the M4 on the West coast mainline in Silicon value?

[/quote]

cambridge is silicon valley i think u''ll find. Both Sony and Microsofts UK Headquarters are there, its a tech hub.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="BigFish"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

cambridge is silicon valley i think u''ll find. Both Sony and Microsofts UK Headquarters are there, its a tech hub.

[/quote]

Err No. Cambridge may have Microsoft but Reading / Swindon / M4 is known as Silicon Valley...apart from the one in California

I cant believe people are claiming Reading is geographically isolated! Have you even been there? It''s surrounded by bloody motorway!Anyone who claims Norwich doesn''t suffer from this has probably never tried to leave - this could explain a lot of the views given on this board.

[quote user="lurd"]I cant believe people are claiming Reading is geographically isolated! Have you even been there? It''s surrounded by bloody motorway!Anyone who claims Norwich doesn''t suffer from this has probably never tried to leave - this could explain a lot of the views given on this board.[/quote]Yeh I''ll vouch for that, having been back and forth between Norwich and Nottingham repeatedly in the last 3 years

[/quote]

All 3 have had massive injections of money. Reading isolated? Thames Valley M4 corridor isolated?

LOL good wind up.....

[quote user="yellow blood"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="BigFish"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Err No. Cambridge may have Microsoft but Reading / Swindon / M4 is known as Silicon Valley...apart from the one in California

[/quote]

Just to clarify, Cambridge is known as Silicon FEN.

And, yes, Norwich is isolated.