Sign in to follow this  
jon francis

team to play gillingham

ok lets have your line ups to take on the gills tomorow night il go 1st.

Green

edworthy mackay Fleming Drury

Francis Holt Brennan

Huckerby

Svenson Mckenzie

Subs: Lewis shackell Mulryne Mcveigh Roberts

I think people are guna have a few arguments here so here are my answers

1. Wheres Mcveigh - I feel that the little fellas been a little off form lately and with a rest for a game or 2 he will come back on top form.

2. Its 2 narrow - Yes but do we need that much width if we do we could use brennan to create some width and provide the crosses but if not we r forced to play the ball to feet and i feel this is where we are at our best.

Lets have your teams come on!!!!

3. Hucks should be in his best position which is as a main striker.- Remember forest away last season.

I say stick to the winning formula and keep players in their best position wherever possible (wide right excepted) - and that means 4-4-2

Green
Edworthy Fleming Mackay Drury
Henderson Mullers Holt McVeigh
Svennson Huckerby

Subs
The Admiral Crichton, Shackell, He scored another one Mackenzie, Francis (if he can be bothered) and Ryan Jarvis

With a three man midfield there would be a tendency to sit deep and just play the long ball through svensson and not encourage a passing game at all; the three players you chose are hardly creative making quality delivery of ball to strikers unlikley.

Finally most of citys poorest performances have been against teams who outnumber us in midfield - it tends to restrict time to pass the ball and puts us under pressure - it also means that they can spread play wide and expose one or both of the full backs. As such I would be very reluctant to go to a 3 man midfield, whichever three were chosen.

I stick with McVeigh as he has the ability to worry opponents defences - as he did in teh second half against the binners - which none of the current midfield staff have the ability to do.

I would go with Jarvis (ahead of Iwan - I know, I know, its not going to happen!) on the bench because of his potential and being at home. Dot Brennan is very unlucky to miss out as he has done nothing wrong at all its just, like Mackenzie/Hux, McVeigh is better in the wide left midfield position. Shackell and Francis cover midfield and defensive injuries while Super Leon will simply has to bide his time further as his reputation grows by sitting on the bench...

OTBC

Just looked on the stats section of football365 and Gillinghams last 8 match record shows that only 10 goals have been scored in those matches 4 for, 6 against. 2 wins , 2 draws, 4 losses.

That must show that their problem is scoring whilst defensively they are actually quite good.

Now whether the ''fast and nippy'' (Leon or Hucks) or the ''up and at em'' (Sven or Robbo) or all out attack approach is the best we need to leave to Worthy but I agree with ZLF in that dominating midfield will be the key tomorrow.

This will be the team, totally agree with ZLF. If we mess the team right up now, it would be bad, come on we have lost 2 games this year im well happy with that. Think how bad the players would feel if we changed the formation took 3 or 4 of them out, they have got us were we are! Mcveigh must play on left Brennan has done nothing wrong but Mcveigh has that slot in my eyes, stick him on the bench, go 2 nil up and bring him on for Mcveigh. As for MACHENZIE well he''s our secret weapon go two nil down bring him on he will no doubt score. This 3 in the middle aint gonna happen we will just punt it up field. Hendo is supposed to be a striker but maybe they are training him into a right mid player as the is no room for him up front. He could become good in that area as he has looked better than everyone else there.

keep it low.

MUST win game, 4-4-3:

Green

Shackell MacKay Fleming Drury

Henderson Holt Brennan

Mckenzie Svensson Huckerby

Subs: Crichton, Edworthy, Francis, McVeigh, Roberts

MUST win game since West Brom played Wigan at same day, it''s a good chance for us to strectch the gap between us and the Hawthorns side. Francis and Edworthy may need a little rest so Shackell can fill in to show his versatility, put 3 up front!!!

teamwise, i''d agree with ZLF. i think we need to be attacking minded, so Hendo on the right and MiniMac on the left wings should be the goer. Brennan has been good enough yes, but McVeigh is wasted on the right, and there''s obviously only room for one of them...

i''d also probably start with Leon as opposed to Svensson, i know that takes away the ''target man'' but Leon is decent enough in the air when he needs to be, plus i think Hucks, McVeigh, Leon and Hendo all zipping about the place will disorientate the hell out of the Gill''s back four.
in addition, there''s also the goals-per-game ratio to consider, Leon 9 games 5 goals, Svensson 9 games and 1 goal. i think hitting the net ealry on to break out of this recent pattern of 1st half inertia is necessary, and a hungry Leon is surely a better bet...

and plus like i said in the ''Francis'' thread, i think i must be the only person who doesn''t rate Svensson. sorry...

Well, I wouldn''t mess about with it too much, I must admit.

Green
Edworthy Mackay Fleming Drury
Hendo Mulryne Holt McVeigh
Roberts Huckerby

Subs: Crichton, McKenzie, Svensson, Francis, Brennan

Ok, I know a lot of people will disagree with Roberts starting, but he really does enjoy playing against Gillingham, and nearly always scores - plus he has been rested now. When he''s done the business, take him off after an hour and stick McKenzie up front with Hux - it''ll scare the liviing doodoo out of them!

ben_elr - no your not the only person who has their doubts about Sven.

To me he hasn''t shown that much, and whilst he is undoubtedly faster than Iwan and puts it about a lot when in the box, he doesn''t seem to be able to head or hold the ball up as well - and there doesn''t seem to be a lot of tracking back from him. There also has to be some concern over him regarding fitness if he can only last 60 mins or so.

Great goal against Forest though.

Come on Sven - prove me wrong and bang in a hat-trick tomorrow - I''d be as delighted as you!

Despite my opinions - who ever plays gets my full support, be it Sven, Leon or Iwan.

OTBC

time to be a bit contriversial i reckon...

Greeno
Edders Flemmo shackell Drury

Briggs Holt Francis Brennan

hucks McKenzie

Subs:
Crichts, Iwan, Malky, Hendo, Mullers

Reason i have dropped malky: we all love the big fella, he scored against Ipswich not once but twice.. but it has become apparent over the course of the season that Malkys days are numbered... he gets skinned far to easily now and resorts to grabbing hold of strikers as they brun past him.. pulling them over... which will lead to needless free kicks/penalties and red cards...

also, Shacks can pass a ball, he doesnt hoof it aimlessly.. malkys distribution has been better this season.. but the aimless punt still comes into play.. also.. Shacks needs to be blooded into the team at some point..best he gets a run in division 1 so he can find his footing.. rather than being scared witless in the prem.

Why briggs on the right???? well why not.. we have tried others there this season who maybe havent worked... hendos young and cant play evbery week.. but is still a fantastic talent... i say give Briggs his chance..

as for leon up front... u see why id drop malky now.. no target man means no punt up field... there fore we keep it on the deck.. pass it round, get it out wide.. then get in the crosses... the way football should be played... also.. his goals tally and his commitment mean now is the time...

jas :)