Sign in to follow this  
SvenDale

Brellier

Well, if ever a player has a lot to live up to with an all-ringing endorsement from his new manager, then Brellier is the man!

It would appear that one appearance for Milan and a short career at Hearts with a bagfiull of cards but not one solitary goal, is continuing the tradition of Norwich City managers over the last six years, of filling the midfield with plenty of hype and very few ''goal-scoring'' midfielders.....

This Club has never been short of under-performing overseas players since the mighty Muzinic.....just hope Brellier stays on the pitch long enough not to be one of them!

As for Thorne bemoaning his ''two wasted years''....don''t get me started !!.... I''m sure his bank manager isn''t complaining.....

[quote user="SvenDale"]

Well, if ever a player has a lot to live up to with an all-ringing endorsement from his new manager, then Brellier is the man!

It would appear that one appearance for Milan and a short career at Hearts with a bagfiull of cards but not one solitary goal, is continuing the tradition of Norwich City managers over the last six years, of filling the midfield with plenty of hype and very few ''goal-scoring'' midfielders.....

This Club has never been short of under-performing overseas players since the mighty Muzinic.....just hope Brellier stays on the pitch long enough not to be one of them!

[/quote]

You remind me of the sort of fan whom used to ring in to Canary call week in week out bemoaning Gary Holts lack of attacking ability and how Mulryne should be in the team instead...

You may not realise this SvenDale, but football is not all about attacking flair.  It is also about something known as ''defense''.  Currently our ''defence'' is a crock of sh**. Players like Roy Keane, Claude Makalele (16 goals in over 500 games), Patrick Viera, Owen Hargreaves, Gennaro Gattuso and their ilk provide a vital role in successful teams.  Holty allowed Francis to push forward.  Brellier will allow Etuhu, Hucks and Chadwick to push forward.  Whether you think Etuhu is good enough is another thing altogether.

"Norwich City managers over the last six years, of filling the midfield with plenty of hype and very few ''goal-scoring'' midfielders....." - what was Damien Francis then???

Have you ever noticed how putting two goal scoring central midfielders (Gerard and Lumpard) in the same team has not worked for England??  Even with two manager scontinually playing them together?  ever notice how resulta improved when Hargreaves played alongside one of these??

No I doubt it, as with the canary call Holt Whingers, the blinnkers are well and truly on.  Claude makalele - he is Rubbish - he can''t score a goal.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="SvenDale"]

[/quote]

You remind me of the sort of fan whom used to ring in to Canary call week in week out bemoaning Gary Holts lack of attacking ability and how Mulryne should be in the team instead...

You may not realise this SvenDale, but football is not all about attacking flair.  It is also about something known as ''defense''.  Currently our ''defence'' is a crock of sh**. Players like Roy Keane, Claude Makalele (16 goals in over 500 games), Patrick Viera, Owen Hargreaves, Gennaro Gattuso and their ilk provide a vital role in successful teams.  Holty allowed Francis to push forward.  Brellier will allow Etuhu, Hucks and Chadwick to push forward.  Whether you think Etuhu is good enough is another thing altogether.

"Norwich City managers over the last six years, of filling the midfield with plenty of hype and very few ''goal-scoring'' midfielders....." - what was Damien Francis then???

Have you ever noticed how putting two goal scoring central midfielders (Gerard and Lumpard) in the same team has not worked for England??  Even with two manager scontinually playing them together?  ever notice how resulta improved when Hargreaves played alongside one of these??

No I doubt it, as with the canary call Holt Whingers, the blinnkers are well and truly on.  Claude makalele - he is Rubbish - he can''t score a goal.

[/quote]

Great post, CJF - summed up exactly what I wanted to say in reply. Nice one!

Couldn''t agree more, what will it take to please some people. They complain that by signing free transfers the board and manager are doing it on the cheap and not buying quality players, yet when they spend £500k on Andy Hughes they complain its money wasted.

At the end of the day I haven''t seen Brellier play but the comments from Hearts fans is all very positive and if the worse comes to the worse and he turns out to be rubbish then we haven''t wasted our entire transfer budget on one player.

I work for an advertising agency and we always say to the clients, don''t just criticise something you don''t like - tell us what sort of thing you''d like instead. So that challenge goes out to all the whingers, if you don''t like who we''ve signed - who would you have got instead?

Might sound a bit anoraky but there is a connection with our old friend George Burley.  He recruited Brellier for Hearts and one of the main reasons given for his (Burley) leaving the club was the fact that the Lithunian owner (ex-Russian submariner) did not want the Frenchman in the team at all - he just wanted more of his eastern europe boys.   Relatives in Scotland (both Rangers/Celtic - there are some mixed families up there!!) reckon he has been the main driving force these past couple of years in the Hearts midfield - as already said, give him a chance.  Apologies if you know this already.

well said cjf,

please do a tad more research mate. for a start hes described as a tough tackling defensive midfielder (which we dont really have - yeah ok Saf but he likes getting forward +his fitness is up for debate) who can read the game and fill in when others break forward - doing what hargreaves does for england.

Etuhu scored a fair few last season, maybe with a higher level of consistency he can score more this season while enabling us to have a solid defensive base.

The crying need last season was for us to concede less - wolves didnt score that many more than us but conceded alot less and got in the play-offs.

as for thorne - ditto

We really need a Creative Defender.

That''s what I heard on another thread anyway...

whilst we have hucks, i think we will always tend to have have high scoring games, this is neither a good thing or a bad thing, the way he fits in on the left means that, whilst we will be an imposing threat going forward, we are vulnerable down that flank, hopefully brellier''s energy will help drury out down that flank. I''m not critisising huckerby, as i think he''s fully entitled to go marauding forward like he does, as he''s our best player, but he does leave a gap the opposition can exploit  if they''re on their game.

true, Brellier is not a goal scorer but he is a very good player and will be a huge asset.

parallels with Hargreeves/keane/gattuso etc are accurate, obviously not necessarily in terms of quality, but this is the type of player Brellier is. He will give great protection to the central defence and allow the rest of the midfield to get forward.

you''re doubt will soon be put to rest once you have seen him play some games.

[quote user="Dave Jones"]

Might sound a bit anoraky but there is a connection with our old friend George Burley.  He recruited Brellier for Hearts and one of the main reasons given for his (Burley) leaving the club was the fact that the Lithunian owner (ex-Russian submariner) did not want the Frenchman in the team at all - he just wanted more of his eastern europe boys.   Relatives in Scotland (both Rangers/Celtic - there are some mixed families up there!!) reckon he has been the main driving force these past couple of years in the Hearts midfield - as already said, give him a chance.  Apologies if you know this already.

[/quote]

not entirely correct, it is true that Romanov did not like him as a player but his replacement was Bruno Aguiar - from portugal which as you will know isn''t in eastern europe.

just wondering what sort of formation you think we will be playing, as a result of this signing, we could either play a flat four, a diamond or a 2-2-1-1.

Chadwick/Croft---------Etuhu/Fothy----------Brellier/Safri-------------Hucks/Lappin

or

-------------------------------------Brellier/Safri--------------------------------------

Chadwick/Croft-------------------------------------------------------Hucks/Lappin

--------------------------------------Etuhu/Fothy-------------------------------------

or

-----------------------------------Brellier-----------Etuhu--------------------------------

Chadwick/Croft-------------------------------------------------------------Hucks/Lappin

-------------------------------Hucks/Striker(if he comes)/Brown---------------------------------

-----------------------------------Cureton/Martin,Dublin-------------------------------

I''ve got a mate who''s a big chelsea fan and he is always banging on about how rubbish makalele is. Apparently all the Chelsea fnas hate him and want him out of the side coz he just doesnt score enough goals or get forward enough

And as for Man UTD buying Hargreaves, what were they thinking????

Gilberto is rubbish (apart from his penalties), as was veira for arsenal................................................................................No hang on a minute i''m talking rubbish just like you Svendale!!!!

I think the Key is to ensure that he provides others with freedom to push on. Etuhu is inconsistent and maybe this is due to him having too much to do. he needs to cover every inch of the park to have a good game. Now maybe he can be freed up a little to push on and impact in the other teams box!!!

Paul Ince, David Batty, Dunga, Hamman, Camoronesi, Gattuso, Mascherano, Roy Keane (at utd), all utter crap!!!

CambsCanary

We were soft as SH.T at times in mid field last season, from what I hear and the little I`ve seen, Brellier is just what we need to put some steel back in the side. Some of the performances were embarrasing, OK Brellier will get booked, will be suspended, will give free kicks away in dangerous areas BUT hopefully he will free up the likes of Dickson to push forward more.I predict this will be a good season for Dickson, he will score goals and hopefully will have a clear understaning of his role.

There is no doubt Sven that we need a player of Brellier`s type, hopefully he will be the right man for the job, i dont care if he scores zilch as long as he free`s up some other play from mid field.    

Talking rubbish ? No.

Just tempering the euphoria that seems to greet ANY signing that Norwich City, seemingly with more difficulty than any other football club, successfully complete. 

''....his unspectacular, diligent covering role in midfield allowing fellow midfielders Paul Hartley and Rudi Skácel greater attacking freedom, from which they scored a combined total of 30 league goals during the 2005-06 season.''

So with Brellier playing an anchor role, and with an ageing Huckerby unlikely to maintain his career record of a goal every four games, that leaves:-                      

Lappin?  1goal every eight games.  Etuhu?  1 in 9.      Chadwick?   1  in 9.     Hughes?    1 in 10.

Safri?  1  in  14.   Croft?   1  in  19.      Fotheringham?   1  in 20.

Unless our midfielders change the habit of their footballing lifetimes, Brellier''s unspectacular and dilligent  covering in midfield is going to pass unrewarded.

Perhaps one of our goalkeepers fancy their chances?...or else we need to start spending money on goal-scoring midfielders......

I don''t disagree, thefutureisyellow. It''s just that I won''t be whooping and hollering, until the endless problem of shot-shy, goal-few, lightweight midfield mediocrity, that the above list merely emphasises,is addressed.

Ok, so we had the top scoring midfielder in the league last season in Huckerby (admittedly this was likely due to some time spent upfront), and being fair, I see no reason why Huckerby can''t maintain his record, he''s hardly gone slow and crap overnight.Chadwick for us has the best scoring record in the league with 1 in 1 games...but joking aside, he''s a very competent winger who can play upfront as well, and if he stays injury free could easily hit 6-10 goals this term.Etuhu really started to improve towards the end of last season, and as has been pointed out, if he''s not having to worry about trying to cover the defence as well as support attacks he could be more of a threat, just like Francis was. Add in the fact that he was also in the top 10 midfield goalscorers last season and I have to question why you feel we don''t have goalscorers from midfield...

We have midfielders who score the occasional goal, as every club can claim, but Huckerby aside, Chadwick and Etuhu average 5 goals per season, worsening to Croft and Fotheringham who don''t even average 3.

Now unless these players have the season of their lives, we are going to be found sadly wanting in the goals scored column.....unless, of course, Cureton and Brown/Martin/new strike partner (how vigorously were Sharp and Eastwood pursued?) muster 40 goals between them.....

[quote user="SvenDale"]

We have midfielders who score the occasional goal, as every club can claim, but Huckerby aside, Chadwick and Etuhu average 5 goals per season, worsening to Croft and Fotheringham who don''t even average 3.

Now unless these players have the season of their lives, we are going to be found sadly wanting in the goals scored column.....unless, of course, Cureton and Brown/Martin/new strike partner (how vigorously were Sharp and Eastwood pursued?) muster 40 goals between them.....

[/quote]

In our promotion season I think goalscoring midfielder Francis only scored 7.

Up top Hucks got 14, Mckenzie got 9, Svennsson got 7, Mackay got 4, Crouch got 4

Hucks actually managed 13 last season in an awful side.

I am hopeful Etuhu and Chadwick will come up with the goods from midfield.