Sign in to follow this  
Ealing Canary

Questions from down under

G''day all,

I haven''t posted on here for ages now. mainly because I''ve been living in Sydney for the last 10 months or so and haven''t seen us play live now since the loss to Ipswich in February ''06.

I binned my season ticket after that match and refused to go to anymore games until Worthington was sacked, which didn''t happen until just before I headed down here.

Anyway, I''ll get to the point, obviously I''m a bit out of the loop as I''ve only been able to read about our games on the web and catch the odd goal on youtube, etc. as the Championship gets next to no coverage down here!

To me all this recent transfer activity seems to be fantastic news, especially as in previous years we seem to have sat there for months doing nothing until the last minute. At least this year the squad can gel over the coming weeks before the start of the season even if I''d never heard of some of the new signings!

So then, I''d be most grateful if you could give your opinion on the following questions so that I can feel like I know what I''m on about on the rare occasions that I get in a conversation with a fellow championship team supporter!

- Assuming we sign David Strihavka and no one else leaves, who in your opinion will make up our first choice 11?

- Are Safri and/or Etuhu likely to leave? If so, who will make up the first choice 11 then?

- Do the new signings limit the chance for our younger players ,i.e. Martin, Eagle, etc.? Or do they not warrant a starting place yet?

- What do you think of Grant as a manager?

- Realistically, what can we hope for next season?

- Has the atmosphere at Carrow Road improved at all since Worthy''s deprature (surely it must have?!)

Right then, I best get back to work, btw it hit 22C yesterday and it''s supposed to be winter!! ;-)

Thanks,

Islington Canary (I guess I should change my name as well....)

Hi Islington Canary I will answer your questions as best I can then I have a few for you.

1. In my opinion our first 11 will be:-

Marshall

Otsemeboor, Shackell, Docherty/a new centre half preferably, Drury

Chadwick, Etuhu Brellier Huckerby

Cureton, Strihavka

subs from Gilks, Dublin, Docherty if we sign a centre half, Hughes, Lappin, fotheringham, Safri if hes here, Croft, Spillane, Brown, Martin, Jarvis.

A strong squad for the championship in my opinion.

2. In my opinion either Safri or Etuhu will not be here next season and I believe it will probably be Safri who goes as Brellier is more a Safri type player then Etuhu.

3. In my opinion of the younger players only Spillane and Martin looked like players capable of first team football when they have played although I dont believe either are ready for a full season in the first team but they can be worthy players to have on the bench or to cover for injuries/suspensions, I think Rossi Jarvis may well develop into a capable player and maybe Eagle aswell although I feel he is too lightweight at present and maybe touch and go as to weather he makes it at all. Ryan Jarvis you cannot call a youngster anymore as if he was going to make it at all he would of done much in the same way as Henderson. Theyve had their chance! As for Renton, Smart and Bexfield I have not seen enough of them.

4. Yes I am impressed, both the way in which he speaks for example his honesty in the media and his dealings in the transfer market look a step up from Worthy although we will have to see them play before deciding for sure.

5. I am expecting to be around the hunt for a play off place maybe just missing out or hopefully sneaking into 5th or 6th place but I personally feel top 8 and within 6 or 7 points of the play offs would represent a good season and progress as we have to be realistic and say the 3 relegated clubs plus Wolves, West Brom, Preston, Southampton and possibly more are all expected to finish above us based on last seasons placings, the squads they have and the money available although we do seem to be trying to match sides like these ambitions in the transfer market.

6. Yes the atmosphere has improved, I think the first couple of months under Grant the fans were still decidedly unsure of his appointment but I think he now has the majority of fans backing.

Right I hope I have been of help to you. Now its your turn. I am taking a year out and will be heading out to travel round Australia and New Zealand, you say that you live in Sydney and Sydney happens to be my first port of call where I am likely to be for 2-3 months. I was wondereing if you could possibly give me some advice on

: Where to stay, reasonable budget accomodation

: Sydney nightlife

: The cost of living in Sydney

: The availability of temporary employment in Sydney

: Things to do, places to see etc.

Drop me a line on jcwfrancis2003@yahoo.com, I would apreciate any help at all you may be able to offer.

Also down under. Try Canaries World for live commentaries on every match. BBC Norfolk for replay or live Saturday Sports Hour. Recorded Thursday Night Scrimmage programmes.  Fox Sports on Austar every goal scored in the Championship Highlights programme and a live Championship Match mostly once a week

G''Day Cobba''

My new 1st Choice 11

Goalie: Marshall

Defense: Otsemobor, Doherty, Shackell, Drury

Midfieled: Chadwick, Etuhu, Brellier, Huckerby

Attack: Cureton / Strihavka

We have some cover on the bench now as well...

Lappin : Cover for Drury

Safri : Cover for Etuhu/Brellier

Hughes: Cover for Otsemobor

Martin: Cover for Strihavka / Cureton

Dublin : Cover for Strihavka / Doherty / Shackell

Croft: Cover for Chadwick

The only weak point is the starting centre-backs, but definitely a much better squad than previous years.

Safri / Etuhu? With Brellier joining and assumably automatic starting there is not room for Safs and Dix. I expect 1 to go, in my opinion keep Etuhu and lose Safs.

Chances for the youngsters is obviously limited, but Grant is doing the right thing and giving them as long term loans to other clubs. If they cut the mustard it will be noticed, and they will get their chance (or be sold at a profit).

Peter Grant : Top man. Excellent so far!

Realistically I think comfortable play off spot next season.

Carrow Road : Not the Carrow Road of old, after Worthies poisonous atmosphere it took a while to get any sort of unity among the fans back. Glimpses of decent atmosphere were seen towards the end of last season, but we need a fresh start. With the new faces and different looking squad, I hope this season will see a bit more noise, and also continued support when the team aren''t doing so well.

Cheers mate, good questions!  

G''Day Cobba''

My new 1st Choice 11

Goalie: Marshall

Defense: Otsemobor, Doherty, Shackell, Drury

Midfieled: Chadwick, Etuhu, Brellier, Huckerby

Attack: Cureton / Strihavka

We have some cover on the bench now as well...

Lappin : Cover for Drury

Safri : Cover for Etuhu/Brellier

Hughes: Cover for Otsemobor

Martin: Cover for Strihavka / Cureton

Dublin : Cover for Strihavka / Doherty / Shackell

Croft: Cover for Chadwick

The only weak point is the starting centre-backs, but definitely a much better squad than previous years.

Safri / Etuhu? With Brellier joining and assumably automatic starting there is not room for Safs and Dix. I expect 1 to go, in my opinion keep Etuhu and lose Safs.

Chances for the youngsters is obviously limited, but Grant is doing the right thing and giving them as long term loans to other clubs. If they cut the mustard it will be noticed, and they will get their chance (or be sold at a profit).

Peter Grant : Top man. Excellent so far!

Realistically I think comfortable play off spot next season.

Carrow Road : Not the Carrow Road of old, after Worthies poisonous atmosphere it took a while to get any sort of unity among the fans back. Glimpses of decent atmosphere were seen towards the end of last season, but we need a fresh start. With the new faces and different looking squad, I hope this season will see a bit more noise, and also continued support when the team aren''t doing so well.

Cheers mate, good questions! 

Starting to feel more positive, haven''t looked forward to a new season with such excitment for a while.

My Starting eleven would probably be

Marshall ,

Otsemobor, Shackell , Dion (Doherty) Drury

Chadwick , Brellier , Etuhu (Safri) , Huckerby

Strihavka , Cureton

Bench Gilks , Doherty , Safri , Martin , Brown

Seems a pretty decent squad to me still with more players in reserve and the youth coming through. Maybe a creative central midfielder and another centre half for the future but you cant have everything.

I think that the youth will still get the chance but signing the new players will take off some pressure.

Competition for central midfield cant be a bad think might keep Safri and Etuhu on there toes (if they are still here) not forgetting the African nations cup

I think the jury is out on Grant. I was dissapointed when it was anounced but he talks the talk and has won me over, will have to see what he can do with "his" team this season.

Last season was dire, the football was forgetable in the extreme with Martin the only high point.

As they say things can only get better !

OTBC